Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:56:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Complaints about amount of Monero posts thread  (Read 5384 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:06:20 AM

I don't like the forced meme approach either. Even altcoin observer should be renamed monero observer judging by the amount of discussion towards other innovative developments relative to monero circlejerking.. Granted it's not the same pump n dump long con by a team of marketers we've seen before; Fundamentally the coin (protocol, really) is strong, a  diamond in a sea of shit, and this time we have cabal (perhaps soon to be monero foundation) of intelligent old heads.. 'bitcointalk allstars', silver stackers, TA tea leaf readers you know the kind of people that have latin in their signature giving it the thumbs up, creating 5 or 6 seperate threads,) boosting trade volume, pulling strings here n there. along with usual brown-nosers following the crowd because it pays to ultimately. I personally am invested for a while, but I've seen time and time again a dangerous insinuation that monero is the one and only and it reflects badly on the speaker,

Speaking as one of the Monero core team members, I can assure you that there will NEVER be a Monero Foundation. If anyone starts something like that we will reject it, and will encourage the community to reject it.

We are rapidly moving towards a point where every effort - including features, peripheral projects, lobbying, and so on - will be completely community driven and community funded. We will have no control over this process, other than to influence a particular goal by means of weighing in rationally on debates. Any shilling we try do for a particular idea or goal will quickly be called out. We will not have "our" way - the development and future of Monero will be as decentralised as the cryptocurrency itself.

I like your response and well natured-intentions. I mean there is already a loose club of large holders that could shape the market somewhat, I'm sure a few interact often online and have met in person in their castles or whatnot. but this is phenomena is unstoppable. Wish you luck on success of the project and hope you can squash some of the shitcoins out of the world.

gotta say. i am kind of proud i initiated this top.

even thought it started as a satire to my complain of too many topics, it proved exactly my point. Hoping to get as much exposure as you can any ways necessary except the proper way. sound pretty weak.keep licking the honey pot prematurely.  good luck with that though.

I started this because for once an actually useful altcoin comes along and now all the regular altcoin people are whining and whinging about the popularity it's recieving.

For all these years I thought the altcoin community were trying to find something that could truly have reason to exist alongside Bitcoin, hence all the altcoins and experimentation going on here.

Now Monero comes and is one of the best coins to come out of the altcoin section and proves that all these experiments are worth it, even if only a couple of coins ever emerge with actual utility.

But instead of saying "Oh yeah, see altcoins can be awesome!" you are all getting defensive.

Seems I was wrong, this section was never about making great coins, it was always about the pump and dump.

Monero isn't a pump and dump and this sets us apart from all the scamcoins here. Now I understand why all the scamcoiners are getting defensive.

So sad.

I'm sure you alluded to the fact Boolberry is the litecoin to moneros bitcoin, ie a copy paste with a few marketing gimmicks added on-top, ignoring the fact monero is a copy paste of bytecoin (which is essentially the tenebrix) - that's the kind of thing I regularly see from XMR proponents.

I have great faith in Monero. If another Cryptonote coin takes over it'll be a realization of Half Finney's fears. Because the clone coins are not innovative enough to warrent a take over. My stand is simple; If Monero loses because of the marketing hype of Boolberry, I will get out of all CryptoNote and back into Bitcoin as it would be proof a CryptoNote coin cannot be a store of value. I will not have my wealth held hostage to the pump and dump of the alt coin world. I only invested in Monero because I saw it as being a true second coin to Bitcoin. Apart from Monero I have never dealt with alts. Even though I invested before rpeitila ever mentioned Monero I completely agree with his rational for investing.

Boolberry's slight modifications do not warrant destruction of a market leader. This is the same argument the Litecoin supporters came up with. The litecoin supporters said that Litecoin deserves to overtake Bitcoin because of the 4 times speed gain.

I mean marketing hype...really? Monero is the one with hype while BBR is the solid underdog- what do we have now 3 seperate monero economics threads?. If I'm not wrong both of these coins were borne from the same womb, at the same starting line, I think perhaps even boolberry was announced before monero. Boolberry took some initial steps to make modifications (dare i say improvements) and it's been consistently ignored in favor of monero largely thanks to a less ridiculous name and  lacking a series of all star backers incessantly parroting about how it's the only worthwhile coin out there. Fundamentally BBR doesn't warrant a lower market cap especially with the emission curve the way it is. Much less doesn't warrant being derided as a junk copy paste in comparison.  I think many people have forgotten about certain xmr red flags like the 'optimization fix'. I was shocked such a thing was overlooked, but got over it relatively quickly when i realised no one else in the market cared/noticed/remembered. Not saying BBR is perfect by any means, because for sure there has been a big disparity between miners there which is only beginning to start levelling out now.

I'm glad to see any cryptonote coin succeed, despite being in an alpha stage and needing a ton of work. Wish monero will overtake the useless litecoin and all these faux-anonymity shitcoins, would wish the same even if I wasn't invested but the 'monero is the one and only' elitist circlejerk attitude becomes tedious real quick.

I'm a relatively large XMR holder, partly simply because I understand you can't ignore the market, regardless I don't want to click on the altcoin observer thread and see yet another dicussion between the same inviduals cheerleading and comparing optimal XMR buy-in strategys or drawing squiggly lines on candlesticks and talking about support levels day in day out. I want to see talk about hyperledger and codius, about ethereum and counterparty and so on.. It becomes so much like a forced meme or a marketing newsletter to see the same back and forth daily, often amongs the same individuals about 1 specific alt, on a thread which is  presumably supposed to cater towards interesting and worthwile new developments across the whole altcoin sphere

drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:21:10 AM

I'm sure you alluded to the fact Boolberry is the litecoin to moneros bitcoin, ie a copy paste with a few marketing gimmicks added on-top, ignoring the fact monero is a copy paste of bytecoin (which is essentially the tenebrix) - that's the kind of thing I regularly see from XMR proponents.

Ignored? I have addressed this in many posts, I have written about the fact that Monero has copied Bytecoin in a similar way that Litecoin copied Tenebrix. Far from ignoring this point I have spoken about it many times.

Tenebrix (Bytecoin) was first in their space (regardless if their space was actually needed [1]). Litecoin (Monero) at first offered not necessarily a technical innovation over their predecessor, but a market innovation.

The market innovation was that they were not scam-mined in the beginning. Thus Litecoin (Monero) had to prevail as a reaction to their original scamcoin origins (Tenebrix and Bytecoin).

Again, I have spoken about this many times, it is your narrative that I am ignoring it.

[1] The biggest difference here, is that Monero's market is needed (A true anonymous currency) and Litecoin's wasn't really needed at all.

Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:00:48 AM

Ignored? I have addressed this in many posts, I have written about the fact that Monero has copied Bytecoin in a similar way that Litecoin copied Tenebrix. Far from ignoring this point I have spoken about it many times.

Tenebrix (Bytecoin) was first in their space (regardless if their space was actually needed [1]). Litecoin (Monero) at first offered not necessarily a technical innovation over their predecessor, but a market innovation.

The market innovation was that they were not scam-mined in the beginning. Thus Litecoin (Monero) had to prevail as a reaction to their original scamcoin origins (Tenebrix and Bytecoin).

Again, I have spoken about this many times, it is your narrative that I am ignoring it.

[1] The biggest difference here, is that Monero's market is needed (A true anonymous currency) and Litecoin's wasn't really needed at all.

Who says monero is Litecoin, perhaps it's fairbrix or geist geld? That big ol' botnet ravaged blockchain and command line interface won't be adopted by aunt gemima on her aging HP anytime soon.. Grin On a serious note.. agreed, it is the most like LTC of current crypto-note crop, but who knows .. anything can happen.

There was a time Litecoin had a purpose (aside from being able to mine btc and ltc simultaneously), the reason I personally brought and mined it from 2011 was to escape BTC's forthcoming ASIC centralisation, with LTC initially almost everyone (Aside from few insiders) was on level playing ground- 1 cpu 1 vote.
but that point is long moot and I agree it offers no tangible benefit over BTC now.

I'm curious why you think BBR is a clone of XMR with 'marketing gimmick's' still however. Was it not envisioned /announced at the same time, if not earlier than XMR independently? Do you think this altcoin section has more marketing exposure to BBR than XMR? Do you really believe boolberrys alterations to vanilla cryptonote are nothing more than gimmicks to reel in a quick pump?

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 08:12:57 AM

Who says monero is Litecoin, perhaps it's fairbrix or geist geld? That big ol' botnet ravaged blockchain and command line interface won't be adopted by aunt gemima on her aging HP anytime soon.. Grin On a serious note.. agreed, it is the most like LTC of current crypto-note crop, but who knows .. anything can happen.

There was a time Litecoin had a purpose (aside from being able to mine btc and ltc simultaneously), the reason I personally brought and mined it from 2011 was to escape BTC's forthcoming ASIC centralisation, with LTC initially almost everyone (Aside from few insiders) was on level playing ground- 1 cpu 1 vote.
but that point is long moot and I agree it offers no tangible benefit over BTC now.

I'm curious why you think BBR is a clone of XMR with 'marketing gimmick's' still however. Was it not envisioned /announced at the same time, if not earlier than XMR independently? Do you think this altcoin section has more marketing exposure to BBR than XMR? Do you really believe boolberrys alterations to vanilla cryptonote are nothing more than gimmicks to reel in a quick pump?

If you want my personal opinion, I think that CryptoZoidberg (the developer on BBR) is very competent and has deep technical knowledge. We have a good relationship with him, and where there are things that are implemented in BBR that we can use, and vice versa, we merge and credit the other party. So far we're sitting quite even at around 3 commits each that are directly from XMR in BBR or from BBR in XMR. I think that's a healthy relationship, and will only be of benefit to both cryptocurrencies.

drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 10:32:14 AM

I know that BBR is a BCN clone like XMR. I know that the additions BBR has made have their advantages, and I know that they are certainly not gimmicks to make for a pump and dump.

However I am unconvinced that the changes are enough to warrant BBR overtaking XMR.

Hal Finny said that the competitor that overtook Bitcoin would have to offer a huge advantage to overcome the network effects to warrant replacing Bitcoin.

I am unconvinced even Monero offers enough change to warrant overtaking Bitcoin, I see Monero overtaking Bitcoin being a disaster and certainly not good the Cryptocoin ecosystem.

However, because Monero offers something major that Bitcoin does not, I see Monero taking 2nd place easily. However I cannot see any reason why BBR should overtake Monero, the divide between BBR and Monero technically speaking is very small (And both teams are helping each other out), the difference between Monero and Bitcoin is massive, and still doesn't warrant replacing Bitcoin.

I see no logic behind a competitor with small changes overtaking Monero.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 10:47:36 AM

Was [BBR] not envisioned /announced at the same time, if not earlier than XMR independently?

Factually no.

XMR announce/launch: April 9/April 18
BBR announce/launch: April 20/May 17
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 11:13:38 AM

lol, XMR is very hot now
and i can see some threads pop out here Tongue

I like Latium!  Grin

They give you coins just to join and you earn more coins on 100 referral levels!

I have made over 5000LAT and gotten over 0.50 BTC for them!

Best free altcoin ever!

Still not too late.
this thread talk about monero, why do you spam it with latium Roll Eyes

+1.
Why Moderators aren't doing any thing about the threads? I don't know whether it is a scam or not but why they are filling the forum with ANN and such things? Are they considering this forum as free ad slots? Roll Eyes
Kindly,
        MZ

digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:06:49 PM

same old :

"Pump and hold high " thing that always goes on with a "CPU" currency.

it all started with Litecoin and then there were many others, a few people have a bunch because they are utilizing a "tech insider" gimmick.

i won't call it a "scam" its just not successful that's all.

can only hold off the free market for so long fellas, meanwhile who's out first?

: D

It's not a "CPU currency", and efficiency improvements in the PoW hashing were open-sourced and merged into the main repository as they were done. Remember: we are not the CryptoNote developers (who wrote and released the PoW in the CryptoNote reference code), and we would simply not have had the time or ability to make optimisations to the PoW fast enough to give us an advantage.

We are completely, 100% donation supported. None of the core team members have any noteworthy stash of Monero, otherwise we'd just be covering costs ourselves instead of raising funds through donations.

OK... wait for my reply: ready...

Why not just use a trusted known PoW like the well used Quark algo? or another Complex proof of work because you know that its going to be on a GPU anyhow ?

for that matter if you have some special distaste for the Quark algo with its Random functions (still the only one that i know of) why not mix and match your own? - shake and bake add some random functions and let the whole market mine with PCP (Personal Computer Devices) from the start ?

simple.

by the way you have the freedom to what you want - i just don't think your model will be super successful that's all, because of the deteriorating return that will be felt as education flows though the market.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:30:54 PM

Why not just use a trusted known PoW like the well used Quark algo? or another Complex proof of work because you know that its going to be on a GPU anyhow ?

Simple answer. The decision was not made by us.

Monero was launched as a clone of Bytecoin to address the massive premine/ninjamine. It was felt at the time that the best approach was to simply keep more or less everything from Bytecoin the same except the rate of mining and offering a clean pre-announced launch with no premine. This gave the community an easy choice between them, while making a whole bunch of other changes would have significantly muddied the waters.

Cryptonote, who claims to be the developers of the technology behind Bytecoin, has its own theories about how their algorithm is ASIC- and GPU-resistant, and how this leads to mining being what they call "egalitarian" and how in turn that is some sort of overall advantage (though they don't quite explain this).

Without commenting on their philosophy (in large part because I don't understand it), I will say that the PoW has proven to be a least somewhat GPU-resistant. Despite several GPU miners being developed, none has clearly demonstrated a major efficiency gain (in fact I'm not sure any of them have demonstrated any gain in hash/watt over CPU mining). People do mine with GPUs now, but people also still mine competitively with CPUs.

digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 03:55:53 PM

Simple answer. The decision was not made by us.

Monero was launched as a clone of Bytecoin to address the massive premine/ninjamine. It was felt at the time that the best approach was to simply keep more or less everything from Bytecoin the same except the rate of mining and offering a clean pre-announced launch with no premine. This gave the community an easy choice between them, while making a whole bunch of other changes would have significantly muddied the waters.

Cryptonote, who claims to be the developers of the technology behind Bytecoin, has its own theories about how their algorithm is ASIC- and GPU-resistant, and how this leads to mining being what they call "egalitarian" and how in turn that is some sort of overall advantage (though they don't quite explain this).

Without commenting on their philosophy (in large part because I don't understand it), I will say that the PoW has proven to be a least somewhat GPU-resistant. Despite several GPU miners being developed, none has clearly demonstrated a major efficiency gain (in fact I'm not sure any of them have demonstrated any gain in hash/watt over CPU mining). People do mine with GPUs now, but people also still mine competitively with CPUs.

yeah its alway the same gag - "no one has shown the ability......"

A GPU device is essentially a packaged simplified "PC" its a;  Processor, Ram and Electricity, the market won't keep falling for the same gag.

next question:

Whats wrong with GPU's? 

The latest complex algos and the future ones will all be more or less minable on a broad range of old and new devices - CPU and GPU  this is as close to "egalitarian" as you will get. (even though that is a really retarded word to use.) (i know its not yours)

its just a free market finding equilibrium, that is all it is.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 05:56:31 PM

yeah its alway the same gag - "no one has shown the ability......"

A GPU device is essentially a packaged simplified "PC" its a;  Processor, Ram and Electricity, the market won't keep falling for the same gag.

next question:

Whats wrong with GPU's? 

The latest complex algos and the future ones will all be more or less minable on a broad range of old and new devices - CPU and GPU  this is as close to "egalitarian" as you will get. (even though that is a really retarded word to use.) (i know its not yours)

its just a free market finding equilibrium, that is all it is.

It's not a "gag" at all - unless you're incredibly familiar with the code and its technical merits, or lack thereof, I don't think it's appropriate to speak to its value.

Here's what Dave Andersen, an associate professor in the CS department at Carnegie Mellon, had to say about it:

The algorithm is *not* complex, it's very simple.  Grab a random-indexed 128 bit value from the big lookup table.  Mix it using a single round of AES.  Store part of the result back.  Use that to index the next item.  Mix that with a 64 bit multiply.  Store back.  Repeat.  It's intellectually very close to scrypt, with a few tweaks to take advantage of things that are fast on modern CPUs.

Claymore has no fundamental advantage beyond lots of memory bandwidth and compute.  His results are actually slightly slower than what is achievable on a GPU with no algorithmic magic -- compare Claymore's speeds to tsiv's for nvidia and extrapolate another 10%-20% due to slightly better code.

Remember that there are two ways to implement the CryptoNight algorithm:
  (1) Try to fit a few copies in cache and pound the hell out of them;
  (2) Fit a lot of copies in DRAM and use a lot of bandwidth.

Approach (1) is what's being done on CPUs.  Approach (2) is what's being done on GPUs.  I tried implementing #2 on CPU and couldn't get it to perform as well as my back-of-the-envelope analysis suggests it should, but it's possible it could outperform the current CPU implementations by about 20%.  (I believe yvg1900 tried something similar and came to the same conclusion I did).  An ASIC approach might well be better off with #2, however, but it simply moves the bottleneck to the memory controller, and it's a hard engineering job compared to building an AES unit, a 64 bit multiplier, and 2MB of DRAM.  But that 2MB of DRAM area limits you in a big way.

In my best professional opinion, barring funky weaknesses lingering within the single round of AES, CryptoNight is a very solid PoW.  Its only real disadvantage is comparatively slow verification time, which really hurts the time to download and verify the blockchain.

nutildah
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 8013

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 06:16:41 PM

will fade away like everything else, the price is already high, no room to grow, and i don't like the name...

Plus anytime there is too many random people all mindlessly slobbering over the same coin in a desperate attempt to fool others into taking their bag, I stay away from that coin. Never bought a single XMR for that reason, and its paid off well.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 06:40:08 PM

will fade away like everything else, the price is already high, no room to grow, and i don't like the name...

Plus anytime there is too many random people all mindlessly slobbering over the same coin in a desperate attempt to fool others into taking their bag, I stay away from that coin. Never bought a single XMR for that reason, and its paid off well.

The signal-to-noise ratio with XMR is extremely, extremely high. I'd love for you to point to the "mindless slobbering" you've noticed, because I'm not seeing it.

nutildah
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 8013

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 07:39:55 PM

The signal-to-noise ratio with XMR is extremely, extremely high. I'd love for you to point to the "mindless slobbering" you've noticed, because I'm not seeing it.

Hang out in the Poloniex trollbox for 5 minutes.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 08:35:05 PM

Hang out in the Poloniex trollbox for 5 minutes.

I'd rather die a painful death that involves torture of some sort. Anything called a "trollbox" should not be used as a measure of anything important, least of all the technical merits of something that involves a deep understanding of both mathematics and cryptography.

btc-mike

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 10:27:05 PM

I know that BBR is a BCN clone like XMR. I know that the additions BBR has made have their advantages, and I know that they are certainly not gimmicks to make for a pump and dump.

However I am unconvinced that the changes are enough to warrant BBR overtaking XMR.

Hal Finny said that the competitor that overtook Bitcoin would have to offer a huge advantage to overcome the network effects to warrant replacing Bitcoin.

I am unconvinced even Monero offers enough change to warrant overtaking Bitcoin, I see Monero overtaking Bitcoin being a disaster and certainly not good the Cryptocoin ecosystem.

However, because Monero offers something major that Bitcoin does not, I see Monero taking 2nd place easily. However I cannot see any reason why BBR should overtake Monero, the divide between BBR and Monero technically speaking is very small (And both teams are helping each other out), the difference between Monero and Bitcoin is massive, and still doesn't warrant replacing Bitcoin.

I see no logic behind a competitor with small changes overtaking Monero.

BBR's changes to Classic CryptoNote are not small. BBR's block chain changes make it at least 50% smaller. That is just one change.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 10:30:16 PM

You just want to argue with me, don't you?

No, I'd just like you to point out the mindless slobbering you state exists.

Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 10:50:39 PM

BBR's changes to Classic CryptoNote are not small. BBR's block chain changes make it at least 50% smaller. That is just one change.
So go ahead fork Monero then, but keep the perfectly sized blockchain intact. (That is the value, the blockchain ledger with everyones holdings)
Monero is young and can still grow, a hard fork would be a loved by investors if it brings in even better functions.

I think in general the altcoin scene is too afraid to hard fork, there is nothing that hinders a hard fork of Monero at this point. Monero is not old like Bitcoin, it's a perfect coin to hard fork and keep the value intact. That would only raise confidence.

Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 10:54:52 PM

I kind of want Bytecoin or Boolberry to become the dominant CN coin, just to see the arrogant Monero proponents get a comeuppance.
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 10:57:07 PM

Especially the guy who owns a dilapidated castle in Estonia.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: