Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:10:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I just made my first Bitcoin ATM withdrawal... 3BTC from my printer.  (Read 14459 times)
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 02:13:13 AM

How would one verify an offline wallet, OFFLINE?

You can verify that the Bitcoin address corresponds to the private key if you have a smart phone with qr code scanner and a saved version of bitaddress.org (you can download the zip from github).

As for the balance you need data from the block chain.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 04:49:33 AM

epic epic stuff:)

could be!  Wink

really, i see a need for a second blockchain for bitcoin bills. an "authority" has to observe the transfer from bitcoins to "papercoins" and back somehow. the "authority" can also be distributed. the money supply has to match against each other between the two blockchains. at the moment "papercoins" would be behind with money supply but this doesn't matter because the need for "papercoins" is low but could be raised in the future. exchange rate is 1:1. if you "transfer" bitcoins into "papercoins" the bitcoin amount would be frozen like a lost wallet. the amount is now on the "paperbill". you can change it with trust together with other parties. if you want to transfer the amount online you have to change back "papercoins" into bitcoins 1:1. then the amount of money is available in the bitcoin network and the bill is destroyed. very similar like central banks deal with cash.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:26:48 AM

could be!  Wink

really, i see a need for a second blockchain for bitcoin bills. an "authority" has to observe the transfer from bitcoins to "papercoins" and back somehow. the "authority" can also be distributed. the money supply has to match against each other between the two blockchains. at the moment "papercoins" would be behind with money supply but this doesn't matter because the need for "papercoins" is low but could be raised in the future. exchange rate is 1:1. if you "transfer" bitcoins into "papercoins" the bitcoin amount would be frozen like a lost wallet. the amount is now on the "paperbill". you can change it with trust together with other parties. if you want to transfer the amount online you have to change back "papercoins" into bitcoins 1:1. then the amount of money is available in the bitcoin network and the bill is destroyed. very similar like central banks deal with cash.
"Papercoins" as you put it are traded purely by trust unless you use a Bitcoin Checkbook which is treated like any bitcoin transaction.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 05:43:11 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 07:39:45 AM by Gyrsur

could be!  Wink

"Papercoins" as you put it are traded purely by trust unless you use a Bitcoin Checkbook which is treated like any bitcoin transaction.

goal should be to manage bitcoin bills completely offline until you will transfer the amount via bitcoin network. there should be no need for a receiver of bitcoin bills to convert it to bitcoins until he will transfer the amount to anywhere online. concept of Bitcoin Checkbook has the need to check the loaded amount online to trust into it.

EDIT: reason for the need to be completely offline for a while could be a natural disaster, a war or something other where an online access is not possible. in this case you can take your bitcoin bills with you at least.

EDIT2: intention is to fit this requirement
How would one verify an offline wallet, OFFLINE?

PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 10:41:27 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 11:15:18 AM by robkohr

Just created a web based way to print these bills as well as printcoin bills.

Take a look at it here:

http://tinyurl.com/bitbill  (pdf link)

Note: Do not use this set of bills generated by this url. They are using private keys that will be available to all.

Go to http://print.printcoins.com to generate your own.

jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 01:46:22 PM

So to scan it you'd need a mobile phone, what's the benefit of having paper at all then? I'm trying to think of uses for this and it seems there's very limited and specific scenarios it'd be useful.

I guess because people might finally get it

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Tril

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 01:59:47 PM

EDIT3: there may be a need for a trusted third party which prints bills for bitcoins. you send this party your amount via transaction. they print the bill with a private key which is not allowed for transactions and send the bill to you. if you want to convert "papercoins" into bitcoins you have to send the bills to the trusted third party and they will send you the amount via transaction. divide and rule

--end--

Like an exchange? It's a little more complicated than you outline, but I take my paper money to this place called "a bank", they convert the paper into bits for me, which I wire over to an exchange of my choice and they let me convert it to BTC. The process works in reverse too, converting Bitcoins to third party paper money.
If you need a trusted third party, Open-Transactions already has the protocol and implementation for what you're discussing in one of its modes.  See this link to decide which mode.  The O-T server is the trusted third party or bank. It's not the same as bitcoin, but you can issue new currencies and trade bitcoins for them.  You can certainly print it on paper.

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Instruments

videos thread-  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93086.0
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 02:59:25 PM

EDIT3: there may be a need for a trusted third party which prints bills for bitcoins. you send this party your amount via transaction. they print the bill with a private key which is not allowed for transactions and send the bill to you. if you want to convert "papercoins" into bitcoins you have to send the bills to the trusted third party and they will send you the amount via transaction. divide and rule

--end--

Like an exchange? It's a little more complicated than you outline, but I take my paper money to this place called "a bank", they convert the paper into bits for me, which I wire over to an exchange of my choice and they let me convert it to BTC. The process works in reverse too, converting Bitcoins to third party paper money.
If you need a trusted third party, Open-Transactions already has the protocol and implementation for what you're discussing in one of its modes.  See this link to decide which mode.  The O-T server is the trusted third party or bank. It's not the same as bitcoin, but you can issue new currencies and trade bitcoins for them.  You can certainly print it on paper.

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Instruments

videos thread-  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93086.0

very interesting! thanks!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: