Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:54:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can bitcoin survive without the Internet?  (Read 10901 times)
SwingBTC

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 02:06:58 PM

There will always be an internet.
If there isnt internet, it means there isnt electricity in the entire world = nothing works.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:11:08 PM

If Internet has shut down, the whole world will affect not only bitcoin. So I think living without the Internet nowadays is impossible to happened.

Yes, it's possible if some authority decide to shut down Internet but hope this will never happen.
There was an editorial in the WSJ today that highlighted the thread of a nuke being detonated over North America. It said that the EMP would do serious damage to the entire country. I would argue that this would be the only real way to shut down the internet and/or "ban" bitcoin.

It's not that complicated.
Remember that woman in Georgia that cut a few cables and two countries were left offline for two days?

The internet is just a bunch of computers hooked with cables , cut 4 or 5 of the most important ones and chaos will rule.

http://gizmodo.com/5912383/how-to-destroy-the-internet
What's even more scary is that the power grid is pretty similar.  There are only a few places through which a lot of the electricity passes (at least in the US).  Although, I would imagine that a lot of places could still get at least some power from local power plants.  I'm not sure how all of that is set up.

To power up your house you only need your equipment.
Solar panels , wind or gas generators.

In the case of the internet you don't only need your computer and your equipment but you also need the others to have those and in place plus a way of communicating with them.

You can have your own power plant but you can't have your own internet.

Didn't realize the internet required so many "things" to work properly for us to use it. Bitcoin and blockchain are highly depended on the internet to operate without a fuss.

So if internet is to go down, so too will bitcoin and blockchain.
It would be very difficult for the internet to go down in the first place because of it's decentralized nature. Things could potentially happen to make it run a little bit slower but it will not (for all intensive purposes) go down on anything more then a extremely short term basis.

DhaniBoy

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 10:08:11 AM

Internet is the main source of power of the bitcoin, if there is no internet it means there is no bitcoin, because the value of bitcoin is only valuable on the internet, bitcoin does not have a physical form, so it can not be used in real market, hopefully internet always connected so bitcoin never die ...  Cool

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
BuluIdung

Activity: 57

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 04:17:15 PM

I don't think it can because BTC network is expanding through the internet.
CryptInvest
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1132

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 07:50:18 PM

I do not think that the authorities are able to close down the Internet worldwide. At the very least have the technology and wi-fi mesh network
Jerome?

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 01:12:49 PM

no of course.. bitcoin was made in the internet, internet is maybe the blood of bitcoin..

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤////////////////////
❖ Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
////////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Ringumbau

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 02:53:06 PM

Whats the point of living in a post internet world? that would mean humanity is over.
realdope

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 03:12:21 PM

Yes it can, rich BTC people will make their own internet
mllenios

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

PAMINTA 101

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 06:32:46 AM

Whats the point of living in a post internet world? that would mean humanity is over.

Lol.. not all. There are lots of people who doesnt have internet. Maybe close to half of the worlds population doesnt have internet.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:10:48 AM

Lol.. not all. There are lots of people who doesnt have internet. Maybe close to half of the worlds population doesnt have internet.

Well they will have to frisk up and get some internets quickly then, won't they.

InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 08:34:38 AM

If you try to mine bitcoin without internet you will discover that it can't be done, so btc can't exist without it.
mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1042
Merit: 1000

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 03:51:54 PM

Nope, BTC uses the net for everything it's based on. The only way I could think of it surviving without it is if the network was based on a massive LAN where each PC with the wallet was physically connected. Other then that, nope. I could br wrong though, please correct me if so.

Champ92

Activity: 112

☯YIN YANG KING☯

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 04:30:39 PM

Nope, BTC uses the net for everything it's based on. The only way I could think of it surviving without it is if the network was based on a massive LAN where each PC with the wallet was physically connected. Other then that, nope. I could br wrong though, please correct me if so.

Internet breakdown will not hurt bitcoin, it will just stop from increasing or decreasing - stay at the same price until solution is made.

Hustle2survive

View Profile
September 09, 2014, 06:37:01 PM

no one can survive after a post noninternet world
dKingston

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2014, 08:46:47 PM

Bitcoin exist because of internet and if it shuts down,
bitcoin community will disappear. Bitcoin will not survive
without internet because they can't move.

LAUNDER & ANONYMIZE YOUR BITCOIN:
https://www.BitLaunder.com/?aid=41
Robif

Activity: 19

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 10:23:51 AM

There is one simple solution though, what if you mint physical coins each with QR code that represents bitcoin address

Private key of all addresses on coins may or may not be held by central organization ie. government thus having the ability to make coins worthless if bitcoin is sent to another address. Central organization can verify if their minted coins are being counterfeited.

This approach has some unique properties:
- coins that stand for 1mBTC can each have 1mBTC on their addresses. No one is silly enough to send for example 1BTC to 1mBTC coin address. That would make him directly send 1 BTC to central organization
- coins have physical form which means no Internet or electricity is needed
- can be traded like exchanging cash with no waiting time at all to for confirmation making it possible for everyday use
- central organization has the ability to retrieve coins in the circulation by simply spending amount from coin address
- anyone can check if coin has the amount of BTC that it is claiming it has
- maximum market cap of all coins in existence is defined by BTC market cap which controls deterioration of minted coins via inflation (no inflation that steals value from holders can be implemented, only minting more coins that are directly pegged to BTC value)
- central organization that mints the coins do not need to be centralized
- private key of minted coins can be destroyed which means that destroying coin you lock forever BTC value attached to it (making it more deflationary)
awesome31312

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 10, 2014, 04:29:13 PM

if you shut down the internet only offline wallets would continue to exist

and nope, radio waves just won't cut it

Account recovered 08-12-2019
omnidoge

Activity: 86

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 12:52:50 PM

if you shut down the internet only offline wallets would continue to exist

and nope, radio waves just won't cut it

Yeah wallets will continue to exist but will you ever have internet ever again? What if a natural disaster occur in your area - will your bitcoin help?
lamaze

Activity: 72

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:53:28 AM

It will survive but surely stagnates as long as internet is gone.
arcanum

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 04:21:44 PM

Yes, bitcoiners will create their own internet, its happening.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: