Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:53:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Anonymity so important to you?  (Read 9400 times)
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 11:29:58 AM

Anonymity is important to me because no one needs to know what I'm doing. Im not saying I'm involved in criminal activities but, I like my privacy.

1. I don't have to report anything
2. I don't have to pay tax on it. Just the small transaction fee.
3. It finally gives people(in my opinion)some financial freedom.
4. No one knows how much money I have.
5. I don't have to pay a bank $15 a month for an account. The days of getting interest from banks is gone.
6. No one knows what I do with my money or how I spend it.
7. I have no limit on how much I can deposit or withdrawal

I could go on and on. Some of these reasons aren't necessarily for anonymity, but more so reasons to use bitcoin.  

I like anonymity for the same reason one the above quote excelt one thing, I will pay my tax though and give Zakkath but now I didn't reach the any limit. I don't like cheating my own country. Smiley
Kindly,
         MZ

InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 11:33:33 AM

Nothing is free, anonymity also comes with a price. Maybe bitcoin 2.0 will address that problem.

There are actually a couple of altcoins which put anonymity as their most important feature,
they won't substitute bitcoin but can introduce some interesting ideas to develope a complete anonimous coin.
Ozziecoin

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 12:22:57 PM

Anonymity is protection and defence from abuse.

When a system is corrupt and under monopoly control, such as the US dollar, most new regulations brought it are brought it to limit competition and increase control over resources by those that have it.

I'm not sure what the prevailing opinion is. But I'm under the opinion that money should be issued by a government but not controlled by a government, money should be controlled only by those who own it. Bitcoin is just a more logical and simply better system. An anonymous coin such as Darkcoin appeals to me. Regulation is control is protection coming from the haves against the have-nots.

Good points.  If people choose to use a coin, that is an exercise of their democratic freedoms. If people find a coin unfair, they can choose to use an alternative coin. That looks to me like the ultimate form of democracy: direct voting on the preferred currency, which is superior to representative democracy, IMHO.

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
DjPxH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:42:02 PM

When a system is corrupt and under monopoly control, such as the US dollar, most new regulations brought it are brought it to limit competition and increase control over resources by those that have it.

I'm not sure what the prevailing opinion is. But I'm under the opinion that money should be issued by a government but not controlled by a government, money should be controlled only by those who own it. Bitcoin is just a more logical and simply better system. An anonymous coin such as Darkcoin appeals to me. Regulation is control is protection coming from the haves against the have-nots.

Good points.  If people choose to use a coin, that is an exercise of their democratic freedoms. If people find a coin unfair, they can choose to use an alternative coin. That looks to me like the ultimate form of democracy: direct voting on the preferred currency, which is superior to representative democracy, IMHO.

Yes but this system ultimately suffers from the same drawbacks or trade-offs than democracy has in the political system: People are forced to live with the strongest faction. If many of the altcoins don't succeed, people will have to use bitcoin. But I agree, that it is still the best system we can apply.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bitboy11

Activity: 534
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 12:51:29 PM

Anonymity is not important to me at all.
I don't care.
I just think that BTC is useful.
thepowerx

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 01:36:41 PM

I think it is important, if there is any personal information included it will cause much trouble
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 02:40:40 PM

Anonymity is not important to me at all.
I don't care.
I just thin

With that sort of thinking you are destined to reamin a noob no matter how long you hang around.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 02:58:09 PM

Yes but this system ultimately suffers from the same drawbacks or trade-offs than democracy has in the political system: People are forced to live with the strongest faction. If many of the altcoins don't succeed, people will have to use bitcoin. But I agree, that it is still the best system we can apply.
No one would be forced to use bitcoin as fiat will likely always be a viable option in the developed world.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:02:43 PM

It seems most people don't know the difference between private and anonymous. They are listing reasons why they want privacy, not anonymity.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
leex1528

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:08:57 PM

Why do I need to tell a bunch of strangers on the internet who I am, what I do?    That is usually walking down a slippery rope if I must say so.

Plus if you do end up getting a good profit off of your coins...well, people seem to be able to find a way to be your long lost cousin who just needs 10 dollars and it will be okay, or will sue you because he slipped near your house...

Kayex (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:20:35 PM

It seems most people don't know the difference between private and anonymous. They are listing reasons why they want privacy, not anonymity.
Kind of true.
I for one like my privacy.
But being anonymous is kind of strange to me.

Whitehouse

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:32:11 PM

Anonymity is very important. It's not only for those who have something to hide, but for people who merely value their privacy. Just because we arent doing anything wrong doesnt mean it's ok for the government to therefor peer into our lives. This blanket surveilance they have has got to stop.

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 03:56:29 PM

It is important for me. My financial position or personal information is known by third parties who may abuse all the information. Other parties intends to push advertisement to us based on the info they get.It is so annoying.
Kipsy89

Activity: 280

Relax!

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:35:20 PM

I think it's great to be able to buy stuff online without using your credit card or giving them the ability to steal your identity. Why would someone need to know what I'm buying online, maan?

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 04:36:18 PM

There are some newer Cryptocoins that tout anonymity using various methods of blockchain obfuscation ,of these Darkcoin has the most promise IMO as the development team has been the most transparent and have come up with several unique inovations that other coins were quick to clone.
Darkcoins unique Darksend+  blockchain obfuscation system is currently undergoing an independent code and feature review from noted Crypographer and Crypto coin expert Kristov Atlas, the results of Kristov's analysis are due in about a week

As I understand it, Darkcoin just uses CoinJoin transactions that you can already do with Bitcoin. The unrelated darkwallet should let you do the same thing with stock Bitcoin.

I think that Crypotnote-based currencies show the most promise for privacy. They use "ring signatures" to obfuscate who spent specific coins. Double spending is stopped by something they call a "key image" that is somehow tied to your private key. They also split up the denominations of transactions like darksend+ apparently does.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
alz

Activity: 227

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 04:46:13 PM

There are some newer Cryptocoins that tout anonymity using various methods of blockchain obfuscation ,of these Darkcoin has the most promise IMO as the development team has been the most transparent and have come up with several unique inovations that other coins were quick to clone.
Darkcoins unique Darksend+  blockchain obfuscation system is currently undergoing an independent code and feature review from noted Crypographer and Crypto coin expert Kristov Atlas, the results of Kristov's analysis are due in about a week

As I understand it, Darkcoin just uses CoinJoin transactions that you can already do with Bitcoin. The unrelated darkwallet should let you do the same thing with stock Bitcoin.

I think that Crypotnote-based currencies show the most promise for privacy. They use "ring signatures" to obfuscate who spent specific coins. Double spending is stopped by something they call a "key image" that is somehow tied to your private key. They also split up the denominations of transactions like darksend+ apparently does.

Although the Darksend functionality of Darkcoin was originally based on coinjoin it has undergone at least 3 major rewrites since it was implemented and is now far more versatile and effective as a method of trustless blockchain obfuscation.

The main advantages over Ring sigs are the lack of any blockchain bloating ( Darkcoin blockchain = 300mb ish) and the fact that the API is unchanged from Bitcoins so merchant adoption is straightforward and proven whereas  all the Cryptonote/Ring Signature based coins will require a complete API rewrite from the merchant side before they will be able to process payments.

BTC - 1GJ2dWf8WBznTtkuuof3WTBXQAULaqVGYj LTC - LTyCKKCGHJQZwsh5YhyzGeee4womQwChUU DASH - Xp5pq62dgJxmbhawyNtWMKT9Rst8JgNCY7
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 04:57:30 PM

Bitcoin has no privacy (all transactions are public). If you want to reclaim some privacy, you need to be anonymous. Unfortunately, Bitcoin only supports pseudo-annonymity: meaning any anonymity (and resulting privacy) is fragile.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
alz

Activity: 227

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:18:30 PM

I don't want to spam this tread with tons of darkcoin related info but as there seems to be some interest in Cryptocoins that can provide the kind of blockchain privacy lacking from bitcoin ATM.
So I willl post this illustration from darkcointalk showing how the current implementation protects the end user from unwanted identification via blockchain analysis .

BTC - 1GJ2dWf8WBznTtkuuof3WTBXQAULaqVGYj LTC - LTyCKKCGHJQZwsh5YhyzGeee4womQwChUU DASH - Xp5pq62dgJxmbhawyNtWMKT9Rst8JgNCY7
Kayex (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 04:20:49 AM

Bitcoin has no privacy (all transactions are public). If you want to reclaim some privacy, you need to be anonymous. Unfortunately, Bitcoin only supports pseudo-annonymity: meaning any anonymity (and resulting privacy) is fragile.

Precisely my point.
It's pretty much impossible for the common person to be using BTC.
There's another thread on here where it's said that your IP address will always be associated with your wallet.

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2014, 04:35:37 AM

Precisely my point.
It's pretty much impossible for the common person to be using BTC.
There's another thread on here where it's said that your IP address will always be associated with your wallet.

Elite private proxies anyone?

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: