Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:49:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Anonymity so important to you?  (Read 9400 times)
logger

Activity: 138
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:43:55 PM

Though it is possible to be truly anonymous in BTC instead of begging and crying and whining to have the developers implement it in the code base for you if you just don't expect everything to be silver spoon fed to you and you go out and practice anonymous habits in the bitcoin space.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 02:25:32 PM

Though it is possible to be truly anonymous in BTC instead of begging and crying and whining to have the developers implement it in the code base for you if you just don't expect everything to be silver spoon fed to you and you go out and practice anonymous habits in the bitcoin space.
Exactly. Nobody promised anonymity with Bitcoin. That is just wishful thinking by libertarians. They can always use gold.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 03:00:01 PM

Bitcoin is not anonymous, at all. Simply put, there are programs out there and in the making, that track every address associated to a designated Bitcoin address, and can interlock transactions between other known addresses of exchanges etc, to find the identity of the user if she/he cashes out via subpoena.

There goes Bitcoin's pseudo-anonymity.
You can choose to be relatively anonymous. If I had 30 different addresses in 30 different wallets filled with BTC mined through p2pool, how would you even know those addresses belonged to me?

Anyway, the reason anonymity is important is because my financial transactions are nobody's business.

That's true^, but for the average bitcoin user, they believe that it is already anonymous, and they wouldn't think to do something like that(30 diff mining wallets)
Kayex (OP)

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 03:09:55 PM

Exactly. Nobody promised anonymity with Bitcoin. That is just wishful thinking by libertarians. They can always use gold.

True. We're never promised full anonymity. Our internet packets are always sent to our isp.
Also, gold would obviously never be used practically for the average joe. Lol.
Even new services like stellar won't be all about anonymity. Just convenience.

abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 03:16:24 PM

Real world business application for anonymity.  I have a source that never changes his address.  So, I can see how much he sells to other clients and how much BTC he has incoming.  Using that info, I can usually ask a fair price and know I'm not getting over charged.  This is why generating a new address is important. 

Would you want your competition to know for how much you purchase your inventory?

How often and when?

From what sources?

At what prices you sell among different customers?

How much you earn per year?
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 03:44:26 PM

BItcoin shouldnt have to be anonymous, I mean it was intended for it like that long ago, but Im sure that not what Satoshi true intentions was, im sure he knew that was going to major role in making business for the bitcoin.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:47:50 PM

There has never been true financial anonymity before. If it is possible, it should be regulated until we know the sociological consequences. I'm not concerned about the tax or privacy issues, those have other means to be addressed. I'm concerned about complete lawlessness and it's impact on families. The Old West was not a place for genteel folks.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
BowieMan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:50:53 PM

Bitcoin is not anonymous, at all. Simply put, there are programs out there and in the making, that track every address associated to a designated Bitcoin address, and can interlock transactions between other known addresses of exchanges etc, to find the identity of the user if she/he cashes out via subpoena.

You can choose to be relatively anonymous. If I had 30 different addresses in 30 different wallets filled with BTC mined through p2pool, how would you even know those addresses belonged to me?

Anyway, the reason anonymity is important is because my financial transactions are nobody's business.

That's exactly the point. It's not about "I'm not doing anything forbidden, why would I have to worry?" It is the simple fact that such things are nobody's business to even begin with! That's why we need Bitcoin!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Kayex (OP)

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:08:09 PM

BItcoin shouldnt have to be anonymous, I mean it was intended for it like that long ago, but Im sure that not what Satoshi true intentions was, im sure he knew that was going to major role in making business for the bitcoin.
Well I'm not sure what satoshis true intentions were.
He's not into btc anymore i believe and he refuses to talk about it, seeing as he has denied countless interviews.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:09:24 PM

That's exactly the point. It's not about "I'm not doing anything forbidden, why would I have to worry?" It is the simple fact that such things are nobody's business to even begin with! That's why we need Bitcoin!
You are discussing privacy, not anonymity.

Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:19:51 PM

Anonymity is for me some kind of online protections because I don't want that my financial info become public info, available to hackers but also to financial institutions in my county.
''Big brother'' doesn't need to know everything Smiley

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:21:55 PM

We have 8 billion people on this planet.
Why should we be a suspect of crimes even if we did nothing wrong?  Huh

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:34:03 PM

Its like a warm blanket...
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:41:08 PM

Anonymity is a Unicorn. It's beauty lives in the imagination only.

BowieMan

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:43:33 PM

Yeah, but privacy is a difficult thing to achieve. And one of the ways to achieve exactly that goal is anonymity or pseudonymity. It is a mere tool to achieve or protect you privacy.

PRIMEDICE
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 06:54:16 PM

Yeah, but privacy is a difficult thing to achieve. And one of the ways to achieve exactly that goal is anonymity or pseudonymity. It is a mere tool to achieve or protect you privacy.
Privacy is much easier to achieve than you think. Pseudonymity is temporary privacy. True anonymity is likely impossible.

BowieMan

Is there life on Mars?

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 07:06:15 PM

Privacy is much easier to achieve than you think. Pseudonymity is temporary privacy. True anonymity is likely impossible.

Yeah you're right. But you can just try and do your best to avoid being snooped on every occasion. I don't need companies to manufacture some profile of my shopping habits or where I'm buying my stuff.

PRIMEDICE
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 07:08:27 PM

Yeah you're right. But you can just try and do your best to avoid being snooped on every occasion. I don't need companies to manufacture some profile of my shopping habits or where I'm buying my stuff.
Deterministic wallets with coin control will do this. Armory, Blockchain.info, and Electrum come to mind.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 10:52:44 PM

I dont care about anonymity at all, its global unified currency. No more currency exchanges needed, all this hasle. Thats main advantage for me.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 02:34:52 AM

I think this day and age the question should be why is anonymity not so important to you.  With all these devices on the open market that have the ability to surveil people without their knowing.  Does privacy concerns mean you have something bad to hide?  For me it is only something I like to have as an option if I find my privacy is not being respected.  Consider it preparation for an uncertain future.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: