Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 05:09:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Anonymity so important to you?  (Read 9400 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:59:35 AM

Anonymity is important if you want to kidnap or assassinate someone and get paid without consequence.

I never thought about that, cryptocurrency is really awesome for ransom!

I discover a new way to use BTC each day. Amazing.
So far, BTC is not anonymous. You'll need to use something else.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:02:32 AM

Anonymity is important if you want to kidnap or assassinate someone and get paid without consequence.

Still, if you provide a single empty deposit address, you are in complete possesion of the ransom money and they have no way of finding out who you are through that wallet. Your next steps need to be very careful, but I bet if you play it right, you can mix/flip those BTC without ever getting caught.
zhinkk

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:05:37 AM

For me, it's everything. If I want to do illegal things, I shouldn't have to worry. If I want to do normal activities, I shouldn't have to worry about being watched either.
Kayex (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:53:17 AM

in a time where everyone clamors to be seen and or famous, it's made everyone numb to the fact that they're giving away their freedom... we take our anonymity more and more for granted and makes it so much easier for "them" to track us.

anonymous is the new famous.
I think that statement is quite contradictory.
I see where you're going with that though.
I think the US is just afraid of the people creating an uprising.
Might just be me though.

I think he meant being anonymous nowadays is a more prestigious advantage than being famous and pried by an astronomical number of agents.
I see I see.
Especially since if you do something wrong while famous the media wi just blow up all over your face. While being anonymous is just being the everyday joe. I guess. Since you need your space

Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:23:09 AM

Still, if you provide a single empty deposit address, you are in complete possesion of the ransom money and they have no way of finding out who you are through that wallet. Your next steps need to be very careful, but I bet if you play it right, you can mix/flip those BTC without ever getting caught.
If you were to ever spend the coins that are deposited into the "ransom" address then you could potentially be subjected to a number of potential timing attacks, especially if attackers have somewhat of an idea of who the kidnapper is (a simi-small pool of people)
Kayex (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:14:46 AM

If bitcoin were really truly anonymous in 100% It would be great, but there are ways i.e blockchain to track your coins. While it does not show you directly your location or name it can be tracked. But it is still better that credit cards or other online payments method...

How would Bitcoin work without the Blockchain? I don't think you 'got' the basic idea or principle of Bitcoin. It is important that every transaction is visible and accountable for by the whole network and everyone participating in Bitcoin!!!

It is important that the transactions are secure and can be verified and not be counterfeited, but it is not important that they are visible to everyone, Monero and other cryptonote coins fixed this issue, do not drink the kool-aid that your finances should be public with a thinly veiled line between you and your btc address in real world usage Smiley

Bitcoin could do this too with a DAC ontop of it that mixes the coins while removing the taint. This will come sooner or later.

Lets hope its good enough and not flawed like darkcoin's coinjoin.
What was wrong with darkcoin?
I thought it was doing well.
Even couple of my friends were mining it with their rigs and were making a good profit off of it.
o.o?

will_see

Activity: 79

https://bountyminer.io

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 11:58:12 AM

If the government is determine to prosecute someone, they can find any excuse to make it happen.

Having anonymity make it harder for them.
I think that government will find any way to control bitcoin or any different cryptocurrency that would become very popular imho

tatu

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:01:53 PM

I think it's pretty anonymous. You don't know who I am and I don't know who you are except for a username.
yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:03:06 PM

I think it's pretty anonymous. You don't know who I am and I don't know who you are except for a username.

It's not truly anonymous, but the people behind it or using it can be if they're careful. IF you look at the transactions happening on the blockchain it'll be hard to trace them to a real world identity, but you could find some into out about them if they were sloppy.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:55:45 PM

I would like to think that I don't need anonymity. I am good guy, I never did anything wrong. But the way government and other big companies are collecting info on people now I think that anonymity is the only way to live. I don't want to be catalogued, and I want to keep my thoughts and views to myself.
Balls

Activity: 338

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:29:14 PM

I would like to think that I don't need anonymity. I am good guy, I never did anything wrong. But the way government and other big companies are collecting info on people now I think that anonymity is the only way to live. I don't want to be catalogued, and I want to keep my thoughts and views to myself.

Of course you need it. It's not about being a good guy or doing anything wrong. The government shouldnt be allowed into your property to hassle you without any evidence or wrong doing just to see if there might be a random chance you have been doing something wrong. Even people on the street shouldnt be able to know your details if you don't want them to.
Corelianer

Activity: 309
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:40:34 PM

Annonymity is important to hide from criminals (including governements) that want to do things they shouldn't do.
If they can't see you, then you are not on their radar.

Ozziecoin

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 01:49:54 PM

Governments will love it then.

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:07:33 PM

Yes, governments love anonymity. That's why we have elections.  Roll Eyes

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
jazzhot

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:15:57 PM

Personally I don't care much about my anonymity, probably because I own almost nothing in cryptos.
Ozziecoin

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 02:50:31 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2014, 03:00:54 PM by Ozziecoin

Yes, governments love anonymity. That's why we have elections.  Roll Eyes
Dick and Bush did.  Lips sealed

Here you go: http://www.rcfp.org/browse-media-law-resources/news-media-law/news-media-and-law-summer-2007/cheney-and-secrecy

Non-technical coin. Use OZC to intro coins to everyday aussies: http://ozziecoin.com
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:57:24 PM

Annonymity is important to hide from criminals (including governements) that want to do things they shouldn't do.
If they can't see you, then you are not on their radar.
This actually is a very good point. If you are known to have a lot of money or something else that criminals might want (information or a security clearance for example) then you would be subject to a lot of attacks. However if this is not public information then criminals would be much less likely to attempt an attack.
Kayex (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:02:22 PM

So essence, you want to be treated like and individual by the government instead of being filed into labels.
Am I wrong?
I din't think thats possible with the gov doing all of this mumbo jumbo

Ozziecoin

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:03:14 PM

Yes, governments love anonymity. That's why we have elections.  Roll Eyes
Dick and Bush did.  Lips sealed

Here you go: http://www.rcfp.org/browse-media-law-resources/news-media-law/news-media-and-law-summer-2007/cheney-and-secrecy

Hey, meet your government: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2010/06/dick-cheney-bp-spill

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 03:25:29 PM

My name is cbeast, and I'm a bitcoinaholic.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: