Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:50:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greendot will discontinue MoneyPak reloads by early next year.  (Read 5333 times)
ruggedman_dan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 03:26:29 PM

http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/Green-Dot-phasing-out-MoneyPak-PIN--267741551.html

NBCnews reports this as well.

In short, Greendot company is getting rid of MoneyPak reloads with the scratch off pins. They are trying to push their "reload at the register" service, which forces customers to have their prepaid debit cards in-hand during the time of reload.

To anyone who uses MoneyPaks in BTC trading, this is a major blow.

Vanilla reloads are the number one alternative, but rumor has it that they are following Greendot's lead and doing something similar. Vanilla traders may have already noticed that many retailers are getting rid of the scratch off Vanilla reload cards and opting for the barcode alternatives that require you to have your card present at the time of reload.

Moneypaks will be available until early next year.

There are other pin reload options, but none as widely available as MoneyPaks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
harlenadler

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

Agent of Chaos

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 06:39:13 PM

Does this mean other people can't load MPs onto my card remotely? Are there alternatives?
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 06:56:47 PM

Good. Sick of seeing all the reversible MP scamming and people getting their accounts shut down for redeeming amounts far under the "limit".

If you're never going to buy any products or services with BTC, only buy/sell for cash on LocalBitcoins and Mycelium Local Trader, etc. PLEASE.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
WillyBTC

Activity: 312

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:23:47 PM

If you're never going to buy any products or services with BTC, only buy/sell for cash on LocalBitcoins and Mycelium Local Trader, etc. PLEASE.

I'm all for local sales for cash, but some people simply don't have the supply/demand in their area to use only cash.
harlenadler

Activity: 430

Agent of Chaos

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:45:10 PM

I'm all for local sales for cash, but some people simply don't have the supply/demand in their area to use only cash.

Yeah, MPs are really great for me. No one in my area buys/sells bitcoins.
ruggedman_dan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:10:23 PM

Good. Sick of seeing all the reversible MP scamming and people getting their accounts shut down for redeeming amounts far under the "limit".

MoneyPak reversals are far less common than PayPal reversals.

Of course local trades for cash would be great but they are few and far between for many buyers and sellers.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 09:17:04 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2014, 09:28:23 PM by TheButterZone

And guess what? If dozens of people in an area can't be arsed to list themselves as buyers and sellers because "there aren't enough buyers and sellers in [that] area", IT'S A SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY.

MoneyPak reversals are far less common than PayPal reversals.

What about MoneyPak reversals because PayPal was used to cash them? PayPal routinely fucks bitcoindom with a tetanus-coated nail!

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
ruggedman_dan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 09:26:11 PM

As with most things in life, I am sure that other services will fill the market void.

I cannot remember all off of the top of my head, but I know of

-ReLoadits
-PayPal My Cash
-Kroger Reloads

I would assume Reloadits would become more plentiful, but who know?
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 12:57:52 AM

It seems Vanilla is doing the same thing as of the end of this month. You will not be able to buy a reload without physically presenting both the card and the cash at the point of purchase.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: