Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:46:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultra Rare 1BTC Silver-Gold Round /w "The Golden Heart" error!  (Read 15467 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bitmarket.io (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 06:04:28 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2015, 11:56:37 PM by bitmarket.io

Recently received a brand new camera (Nikon D5200) with a macro lens (AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED) and speedlight (SB-700 AF) and snapped some gorgeous shots of the crown jewel in Casascius error coins: The Golden Heart Silver Round /w Gold Rim & BTC

This gem was received directly from Mike (Casascius) from one of the last batches shipped around December, 2013.  It was the only defective 'error' coin in the roll of twenty.  It appears something went wrong during the electro-plating process and a spot, very much resembling a heart, was gold plated to the left of the BTC symbol, and it's absolutely stunning.

I sent a request in to Mike for a PGP signed PDF and am still waiting on a response.  In the process of gathering as much documentation possible to proof the legitimacy of this coin.  Under the photos listed below is a conversation between Charlie and Mike regarding this coin which adds some credence to these type of defects.

Asking 10BTC or better. I feel it's worth much more as it's absolutely one-of-a-kind, but feel comfortable starting at 10.

----

----

Here's a quote from a previous post of a conversation between Charlie Sherm and Mike Caldwell adding some credence to such type of defects.

OK, the following is a conversation I just had with Mike tonight. Im not sure what my personal take-away is, but take from it what you will.

Cheers..

All images: http://imgur.com/hTo2Z23,eprAEOe,Q9S8wGT,E5FEBWM,24sgrJP#4

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 09:01:52 PM

Great photos!

If Mike sends you the confirmation you should work with Elianite and Melbustus to get their respective Casascius coin inventories to archive this version as the Golden Heart error...

monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 09:46:50 PM

Nice, those photos look amazing, not just for the heart part, but the coin itself...  Why didn't you get it graded?  Shocked
I remember you already received a 10 BTC offer on the other thread, correct?  It'll be a legend if Mike himself verifies, lol
bitmarket.io (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 09:49:37 PM

Nice, those photos look amazing, not just for the heart part, but the coin itself...  Why didn't you get it graded?  Shocked
I remember you already received a 10 BTC offer on the other thread, correct?  It'll be a legend if Mike himself verifies, lol

Received 7 and 7.1 BTC on my last thread.   Will get it graded soon.  Going to take numerous clean photos of my coins before I send them in.
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 09:34:23 PM

If you get this verified by Mike you could take to auction through Southeby's or something.

bitmarket.io (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 12:37:46 AM

If you get this verified by Mike you could take to auction through Southeby's or something.

It's technically impossible for Mike to give a 100% confirmation without having seen it before shipping it out.  He stated that these type of spot-like defects did indeed occur, and mine happens to resemble a heart shape. 
elianite
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 02:55:17 AM

As far as the text conversation goes and Mike not calling it an obvious fake, I think it is enough for the community to accept this as a legitimate error. Granted, if after this sells another one magically appears on the market, that second coin would be under much, much greater scepticism and scrutiny.

As a self-proclaimed expert of this field, I fully endorse this particular coin and error as legitimate. While there is of course the small possibility of Bitmarket.io having made the mark intentionally, I see that as unlikely as being found out would destroy his reputation and he is well invested in these coins. Even if the mark was somehow proven to be fraudulent, I am confident that the coin would remain valued  significantly higher then its counterparts due to the specific history behind it.

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 04:06:21 AM

As far as the text conversation goes and Mike not calling it an obvious fake, I think it is enough for the community to accept this as a legitimate error. Granted, if after this sells another one magically appears on the market, that second coin would be under much, much greater scepticism and scrutiny.

As a self-proclaimed expert of this field, I fully endorse this particular coin and error as legitimate. While there is of course the small possibility of Bitmarket.io having made the mark intentionally, I see that as unlikely as being found out would destroy his reputation and he is well invested in these coins. Even if the mark was somehow proven to be fraudulent, I am confident that the coin would remain valued  significantly higher then its counterparts due to the specific history behind it.

+1.

I'll be happy to add a specific note for this coin on http://www.spotcoins.com/bitcoin/casascius

I think this is bringing up another dimension to these coins; ie, non-variety-differentiating errors/oddities/rarities. By that I mean that the error/oddity does not classify the coin as a new "variety", but it is nonetheless a noteworthy and interesting distinction. I'll likely catalog such instances under a new "known oddities" or "known rarities" sub-listing for each Casascius variety.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
elianite
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 06:20:50 AM

+1.

I'll be happy to add a specific note for this coin on http://www.spotcoins.com/bitcoin/casascius

I think this is bringing up another dimension to these coins; ie, non-variety-differentiating errors/oddities/rarities. By that I mean that the error/oddity does not classify the coin as a new "variety", but it is nonetheless a noteworthy and interesting distinction. I'll likely catalog such instances under a new "known oddities" or "known rarities" sub-listing for each Casascius variety.

Very good point. A 1-off error such as this would not get its own page in my eBook (or future database) as a 'type' of coin produced by Casascius. I think an interesting comparison are the 5 1btc 2011 coins with first-bits printed higher then normal. I categorized them as their own type of coin because they were acknowledged by Mike in his blog, but something like this heart error I would not. I very much support your idea of creating a database of these on spotcoins.

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 05:53:59 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2014, 06:17:14 PM by Possum577

Two steps closer to legitimizing your error coin and layering on some collector value with each step, good work!

Those pictures should be included in the examples of the "errors and oddities" variety...they're just too good to go unused.

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 03:08:30 AM

51.73 LTC...you pay shipping.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:12:58 AM

60 ltc!
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:42:57 AM

61.1 LTC Smiley

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
wheresmycoin

Activity: 654
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 09:18:23 AM

Not btc?
bitmarket.io (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 11:11:13 AM

BTC only. And the current bid is 7.
TheNewAnon135246
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1989

฿uy ฿itcoin

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 02:07:20 PM

Looks pretty cool. I hope you'll get your signed confirmation.
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 06:47:04 PM

Are you still selling this thing? Why?! It's a museum piece!!! And it's value would instantly increase once you have it solidly listed/identified in the Melbustus and Elianite Casascius catalogs as an official error coin.

justbtcme

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 07:35:35 PM

Are you still selling this thing? Why?! It's a museum piece!!! And it's value would instantly increase once you have it solidly listed/identified in the Melbustus and Elianite Casascius catalogs as an official error coin.

You should definitely get this then  Cool
Possum577

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 08:50:13 PM

I can't come close to affording it, unfortunately. I'm not like you guys/gals that have a mint of BTC lying around from the good old days when Bitcoin could be mined with a laptop and an AOL internet account or bought for less than $10 a piece! Haha.

I'm doing the next best thigh, though, which is share my praise of the coin. This is truly one of a kind. I bet you see more interest in this thing (if it's even still on the auction block) as we approach Valentine's day next year.

You should definitely get this then  Cool

justbtcme

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 09:28:06 PM

I can't come close to affording it, unfortunately. I'm not like you guys/gals that have a mint of BTC lying around from the good old days when Bitcoin could be mined with a laptop and an AOL internet account or bought for less than $10 a piece! Haha.

I'm doing the next best thigh, though, which is share my praise of the coin. This is truly one of a kind. I bet you see more interest in this thing (if it's even still on the auction block) as we approach Valentine's day next year.

You should definitely get this then  Cool

I used to fix peoples' cars for bitcoins. During the good old days when there were bitcoiners willing to pay a mechanic for repairs  Cool
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: