Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:06:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got my BFL refund in BTC, the rally can now start!!!  (Read 2219 times)
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:34:04 PM

Congrats on the refund, I know how frustrating it can be having money out there that is owed to you for a long period of time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EricTyle

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 04:48:01 AM

Back in November 2013 Bitcoin was trading at 1200$. A couple of months ago Butterfly Labs started giving out refunds for pre-orders older than 6 months. What would be more profitable -- taking the refund now and doubling your bitcoin holdings or waiting and wishing for the Monarch to be delivered? I faced such a dilemma and finally decided to take the refund because BFL kept deleting my whiny posts in their forums which angered me. Also, even if they delivered I would have had to pay ~700 EUR for import taxes just to receive my equipment.

I was secretly wishing for the next bubble not to start until I get my refund and today I got the refund, effectively turning the initial 3.4 bitcoins into 5.8. I learned it the hard way that mining is pointless because my 60 GH/s miner costed me 140 bitcoins and it only mined 10 Cheesy, thus I'm pretty happy about cancelling my 2nd generation ASIC pre-order. I don't believe it would have made any profits bitcoin-wise.

Having said that, my gut feeling tells me that the next rally can start now. To make this post more interesting, I predict that we will exceed 1000$ by the end of August.

If you got the miner as soon as you bought the miner for 140BTC you probably would have made more than 10BTC; however, you must keep in mind that the reason you got such a low return was because of the shift in exchange rate from roughly 20$ to like 300$ by the time it got delivered.

I'm more than willing to bet that you at least broke even, or were close to it, at least based on the rough estimate of when you purchased and when you mined 10*15 = 150 -- close to 140.

Mining BTC is essential to our infrastructure -- it's just not economically viable, which is a damned shame.

Hyena (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 08:34:21 AM

If you got the miner as soon as you bought the miner for 140BTC you probably would have made more than 10BTC; however, you must keep in mind that the reason you got such a low return was because of the shift in exchange rate from roughly 20$ to like 300$ by the time it got delivered.

I'm more than willing to bet that you at least broke even, or were close to it, at least based on the rough estimate of when you purchased and when you mined 10*15 = 150 -- close to 140.

Mining BTC is essential to our infrastructure -- it's just not economically viable, which is a damned shame.

Dollar-wise I made shit load of profits despite the fact I got the equipment a year after making the pre-order. The original SC costed me ~1400$ and it earned me ~6000$ in current prices (I haven't cashed out a cent though, so the profits may increase even more Cheesy).

I'm supporting the Bitcoin network with my miner and it mines on a P2Pool to support decentralized mining and reduce the 51% attack risk. Also, the miner got me famous in my home country Cheesy I got into TV for doing some weird stuff with computers, it was pretty fun but the fame aspect gets a bit annoying now that so many people recognize my face and start asking about Bitcoin mining, lol Tongue

Speaking of mining, I also mine PeerCoins with the Proof of Stake aspect. It's much cooler than Bitcoin mining because it doesn't require a noisy ASIC and does not consume electricity at all.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 08:47:59 AM

Congrats OP for being a little less dumb about your finances.

You are not new, why did you "preorder" at BFL?

*shrugs*

I'm waiting for a Monarch and I knew exactly what I was getting into pre-ordering, having ordered a Single SC, and an FPGA Single before that.

But if you refuse to mine, you can't cry about mining having become too centralised.

You don't mine because mining is free money (it hasn't been for years).  You mine because mining is good for Bitcoin.  It effectively a donation to securing decentralisation of the network.  (And, selfishly, what's good for Bitcoin is also good for my and your investment in Bitcoin).

And also, you mine, because it's cool to have cool miners :-)

Just my two bitcents.

roy

EDIT: I have no problem with the sentiment of this thread - I'm not going to complain if there's a major rally Smiley

I can understand why you would want to get into mining, but I don't understand why you would choose BFL as the company to buy your miner from. That's like throwing your money away.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 09:05:32 AM

I can understand why you would want to get into mining, but I don't understand why you would choose BFL as the company to buy your miner from. That's like throwing your money away.

Because BFL wasn't always like that. In the beginning they had no bad record and they were pretty much the only company to develop ASICs. They fucked up with their 60nm product like, a lot. Ordering from them the second time was mostly due to their marketing trick and I figured that maybe they learned their lesson and now they will actually deliver in time. Also, if you have shit load of new wealth due to ongoing outrageous Bitcoin rally, you most likely act irrationally with it anyway. Emotions, you know Cheesy

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:15:18 AM

Because BFL wasn't always like that. In the beginning they had no bad record and they were pretty much the only company to develop ASICs. They fucked up with their 60nm product like, a lot. Ordering from them the second time was mostly due to their marketing trick and I figured that maybe they learned their lesson and now they will actually deliver in time. Also, if you have shit load of new wealth due to ongoing outrageous Bitcoin rally, you most likely act irrationally with it anyway. Emotions, you know Cheesy

In the beginning the had no rep, now they have a bad rep.
Johanna

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:25:15 AM

Refund is the best bet, you will have to wait for years for anything from them...

Roy Badami

Activity: 563
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 10:19:48 PM

Well, every BFL product line has been severely delayed.  The FPGAs were very late, the 60nm ASICs were very late, and now the 28nm ASICs are very late.  But at least they had a track record of shipping a product - eventually.  And a product that worked, and broadly speaking, that worked reliably.

So the choice was, gamble on BFL being quicker in their product development than last time, or gamble on an unknown quantity.  Sure, with hindsight, picking KNC would have served me better.  OTOH, if I'd picked Hashfast I'd very possibly have lost my money.  It's a gamble - no one knew which horses would come in, but there really weren't any clear winners back when we were all preordering.  So you take a guess and spend a few coins.

(I did also subsequently preorder a Coindesk Bitmine Coincraft Desk device, BTW.  That's been happily hashing away for a few months.)

roy

Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:18:08 AM

They had no bad record because they had no record at all. They likely had a shorter "testing" phase then they do now but still had longer delays then necessary.

Getting a refund is by far the better choice for the OP. With today's difficulty being where it is, the OP had more or less zero chance of ever earning any where near 3 BTC, let alone 5 BTC
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: