Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 03:18:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone buying Ether ?  (Read 10275 times)
chronicsky
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1222

Just looking for peace

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2014, 03:57:44 PM

i wouldn't say stellar guyz ae doing it , with those big guys , when  they know it's making good progress already , they wouldn't be doing it , and even if they are , it's still a lot to go
and Ether is 1880 per btc now , am not gonna buy any now , they are surely gonn drop on release , i don't think buying them now will be a good idea
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 09:56:21 AM

I like the look of Stellar better, esp the folks backing it
Trouble with Ether is you are essentially backing a genius hacker (Buterin) barely out of his teens

Stellar is just a fork where they are attempting yet another massive lock-up of funds. Release a few for free, hype it up and then they slowly sell their stock. Its also centralized with a few in control of the nodes. I don't see how Stellar is any good.

Same for Ether. They are even pre-selling. I smell BFL.

discodancer

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Time is Money - Benjamin Franklin

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 03:50:42 PM

I don't like ethereum going ahead with the ICO while they are yet to finalise their most basic operation - PoW. With that not out, how can one even trust them with their money. Add to it the fact that the ICO will form majority of the coins in circulation for a year or two - it is just bad. Though I don't think there will be a cheap fork.
One of the best conditions in the ICO are - They are not obliged to return the money if they fail to deliver. Yep! so basically a crowdfunding without a commitment. Hell even btctalk's scam ICO's are better than that.
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:25:40 PM

I don't like ethereum going ahead with the ICO while they are yet to finalise their most basic operation - PoW. With that not out, how can one even trust them with their money. Add to it the fact that the ICO will form majority of the coins in circulation for a year or two - it is just bad. Though I don't think there will be a cheap fork.
One of the best conditions in the ICO are - They are not obliged to return the money if they fail to deliver. Yep! so basically a crowdfunding without a commitment. Hell even btctalk's scam ICO's are better than that.

U got it right. When an ex GoldMan Sachs executive is backing them, u should not expect a petty alt coin scam from them. They'll do it intelligently Wink

...But anyway, the basic concept of Ether was awesome.

p.s. By the way, I like your user name. Are u a fan of Bappi Lahiri ? Tongue

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:27:37 AM

They would say it is just a standard condition to CYA.  Cheesy
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 05:35:23 AM

i wouldn't say stellar guyz ae doing it , with those big guys , when  they know it's making good progress already , they wouldn't be doing it , and even if they are , it's still a lot to go
and Ether is 1880 per btc now , am not gonna buy any now , they are surely gonn drop on release , i don't think buying them now will be a good idea

You remember how they made money off Ripple? So if you can do it once, why not again? After all they don't have to do much.

Agree on Ether, price will drop after release so better to buy then if you do find merit in the project.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Fernandez
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 05:39:55 AM

Thats a big flag for me. The entire thing reeks of a lot of greed. The initial botched IPO and now this.
I don't doubt there will be some decent product at the least, but I doubt the investors will benefit much. The developers have covered their profits.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

discodancer

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 07:48:15 AM

U got it right. When an ex GoldMan Sachs executive is backing them, u should not expect a petty alt coin scam from them. They'll do it intelligently Wink

Well it is really petty when you think about it. Its just that people are not reading the big fonts. T&C 20 clearly says:

"20 All Purchases of Ether Are Non-Refundable

ALL PURCHASES OF ETH ARE FINAL. PURCHASES OF ETH ARE NON-REFUNDABLE. BY
PURCHASING ETH, THE PURCHASER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT NEITHER ETHSUISSE NOR ANY OTHER
OF THE ETHSUISSE PARTIES ARE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE A REFUND FOR ANY REASON, AND THAT
THE PURCHASER WILL NOT RECEIVE MONEY OR OTHER COMPENSATION FOR ANY ETH THAT IS
NOT USED AS CRYPTOFUEL OR REMAINS UNUSED."

and section 19 lists out the risk. While some of them are given like exchange risks, cheap forks, lower adoption, regulation etc are acceptable. This is the one which people should really think about:
"19.9 Risk that the Ethereum Platform May Never be Completed or Released

Purchaser understands, that while the Ethereum Team will make reasonable efforts to complete the Ethereum
software, it is possible that an official completed version of the Ethereum Platform may not be released and
there may never be an operational Ethereum Platform."

Virtually they are saying we are free to spend your money, because of the marketing blitz they did. Only in crypto world such stupidity can go without being scrutinized in detail.

PS: I am a fan of Mithun da Wink
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 05:28:49 PM

Well it is really petty when you think about it. Its just that people are not reading the big fonts. T&C 20 clearly says:

OF THE ETHSUISSE PARTIES ARE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE A REFUND FOR ANY REASON, AND THAT

and section 19 lists out the risk. While some of them are given like exchange risks, cheap forks, lower adoption, regulation etc are acceptable. This is the one which people should really think about:

Purchaser understands, that while the Ethereum Team will make reasonable efforts to complete the Ethereum
software, it is possible that an official completed version of the Ethereum Platform may not be released and

Virtually they are saying we are free to spend your money, because of the marketing blitz they did. Only in crypto world such stupidity can go without being scrutinized in detail.

People really dont get into the T&C and companies take advantage of that.

p.s. 1: Ethereum seems like a company, not a project.

p.s. 2: Mithun da !!! Are u from 70s ? Tongue

discodancer

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 08:12:21 AM

People should get into T&C otherwise they cry later. Even the ICOs on bitcointalk turn shitty like that.

Ps2: I am from the 80s. Disco Dancer - Mithun da's path breaking movie came out in 1982. but I am more fan of his 90s works like Shapath and Raavan etc Wink
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:10:38 AM

People should get into T&C otherwise they cry later. Even the ICOs on bitcointalk turn shitty like that.

Ps2: I am from the 80s. Disco Dancer - Mithun da's path breaking movie came out in 1982. but I am more fan of his 90s works like Shapath and Raavan etc Wink

What's wrong with the BitcoinTalk ICO ?

discodancer

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 09:34:49 AM

For one they are illegal in most of the jurisdictions (thats where you have to tip the hat to ethereum -- wonder why they are based out of switzerland? Wink ). and they don't really have any legally binding T&Cs. Most of it are promises. But if you are making money, I know I do, then nothing is wrong with them.
googlesearch

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 03:52:00 PM

I do not buy it .
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 09:02:36 PM

For one they are illegal in most of the jurisdictions (thats where you have to tip the hat to ethereum -- wonder why they are based out of switzerland? Wink ). and they don't really have any legally binding T&Cs. Most of it are promises. But if you are making money, I know I do, then nothing is wrong with them.

I heard Ethereum guys have announced to dump their BTC collection resulting in a price drop. Any idea regarding this ?

discodancer

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 01:36:17 PM

I heard Ethereum guys have announced to dump their BTC collection resulting in a price drop. Any idea regarding this ?
I haven't heard about this but then I find it funny when people attribute one thing to another. Anyone who says price drop is because they want to dump their bitcoin is being stupid. They haven't seen a real market in their life.

Hell, he/she are they aware of the recent US sale of Silk Road's bitcoin. No one, and I mean, no one with such a huge cache is going to be able to sell coins without hurting themselves. Think about this if current value of their cache is say 60 million due to 600 USD per btc rate. Are they going to get same value when they try to dump? Obviously not.

The whole thing is simply, btctalk's favourite word, FUD.
Fernandez
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 09:45:47 AM

Don't think the price drop was due to that, though it might have spooked a few. BTC needs a fresh impetus to maintain the prices with new coins coming in each day. The challenge from the 2.0 coins might hurt it as big money is flowing in them.

BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 01:25:30 PM

Don't think the price drop was due to that, though it might have spooked a few. BTC needs a fresh impetus to maintain the prices with new coins coming in each day. The challenge from the 2.0 coins might hurt it as big money is flowing in them.

I dont think any of the alts pose any threat to BTC.

Fernandez
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 08:02:14 AM

For now it doesn't. But unless BTC evolves there is a good chance it will be overtaken by one of these new PoS coins which also have extra features.
Innovate or die.

BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 03:22:22 PM

For now it doesn't. But unless BTC evolves there is a good chance it will be overtaken by one of these new PoS coins which also have extra features.
Innovate or die.

In either way, PoS is not the future. Value of an economy cant sustain relying on some random stakeholder, called early adopter.

Fernandez
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:32:21 AM

Innovate or die.

In either way, PoS is not the future. Value of an economy cant sustain relying on some random stakeholder, called early adopter.

Its the same thing with PoW. You spend money mining in PoW, you spend money buying in PoS. I don't see the difference, both rewards early adopters.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: