Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:35:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think Satoshi will ever spend his bitcoins?
Yes
No

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Satoshi will ever spend his bitcoins?  (Read 9359 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:59:40 AM

He might have lost it!
How would Satoshi lose his BTC?
.-.
I'm VERY sure Satoshi keeps a cold storage or something of the sorts.
Or he keeps the PW safe.
He's probably just not touching it for now.

He might have lost the private keys.

I doubt that, but of the blocks he is known to control, I'd wager he has some special intention for those.  When he was still here, he was offered $50 for a single bitcoin from the genesis block; when the going rate was under a nickel.  He refused, stating that those were his legacy.  That could be interpreted in many ways, but I thought s/he intended those early blocks to go to his heirs.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 04:02:34 AM

He might have lost it!
.-.
Or he keeps the PW safe.

I doubt that, but of the blocks he is known to control, I'd wager he has some special intention for those.  When he was still here, he was offered $50 for a single bitcoin from the genesis block; when the going rate was under a nickel.  He refused, stating that those were his legacy.  That could be interpreted in many ways, but I thought s/he intended those early blocks to go to his heirs.

Wow, I didnt know that. In that case, my vote still stands. He will NOT spend his BTC.

slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:11:34 AM

I personally think they are all gone.
I mean imagine, you are in your house making a new currency FFS.  Just thinking that in 2008, 2009 must have been like thinking you are going to make a paper airplane out of a safety deposit box! Like, this is never gonna fly!  Meanwhile you're mining thousands of BTC a week oh bunch of random hardware. Are you gonna back up your keys? I wouldn't. I mean come on.. this is just a game right? a proof of concept. It's not like it's going to be worth BILLIONS! who knows how many times Satoshi had to reinstall linux or replace his hard drive on his miners when BTC was zero dollars! You have to pay someone to take your coins. Are you gonna waste your time backing up keys?
so yea.. I say they are all gone to bittie heaven.
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 10:04:53 PM

He might have lost it!
.-.
Or he keeps the PW safe.

I would say that the bitcoin from the genesis block would mean more to him then his other bitcoin. I doubt that he would decline an offer with that much of a premium for any of his other bitcoin (as I would doubt that anyone would be wiling to pay that much of a premium for any of his other bitcoin). 

Another explanation for this would be the fact that satoshi was very serious about staying anon. If he did take up this offer then he would likely need to give up his identity for only $50. 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Fray

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 10:07:58 PM

He might have lost it!
.-.
Or he keeps the PW safe.
The concept of cold storage was really not around by the time that Satochi had "left." When Satochi "left" the value of bitcoin was still very low and theft was really not a problem (theft is the reason why people use cold storage).

I would also find it very hand to believe that Satoshi would lose his private keys as he comes across as someone who would not make the kind of mistakes that would cause a person to lose their private keys.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:01:26 AM

Another explanation for this would be the fact that satoshi was very serious about staying anon. If he did take up this offer then he would likely need to give up his identity for only $50. 

No, he would not have.  Are you sure you understand how Bitcoin works?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:05:33 AM

No, he would not have.  Are you sure you understand how Bitcoin works?

You cannot spend or give any coins made from the genesis block.. that formed the basis for the entire blockchain ... it would be taking the H out of H20..

I wish I could remember his name, but he has ALS, I believe and is in the latter stages but was one of satoshis main programmers and he made the first bitcoin transaction. He said in one of his posts that while he has some bitcoins, they just made his computer hot and noisy, so he didnt mine that much, so, you never know what satoshi could have done with the computers/hardware like others have suggested. There have been several people claim to have lost millions worth of bitcoin had they not sold or reformatted the hd..
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:33:40 AM

No, he would not have.  Are you sure you understand how Bitcoin works?

You cannot spend or give any coins made from the genesis block.. that formed the basis for the entire blockchain ... it would be taking the H out of H20..

I wish I could remember his name, but he has ALS, I believe and is in the latter stages but was one of satoshis main programmers and he made the first bitcoin transaction. He said in one of his posts that while he has some bitcoins, they just made his computer hot and noisy, so he didnt mine that much, so, you never know what satoshi could have done with the computers/hardware like others have suggested. There have been several people claim to have lost millions worth of bitcoin had they not sold or reformatted the hd..

His name is Hal Finney.

e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 08:33:16 PM

It looks like "No" is winning. It used to be "Yes". This is so cool.
This thread is the most popular one I've made.
rz20
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:47:19 PM

I have voted yes. Maybe in 2025,
pabpete

Activity: 539
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:50:40 PM

I don't think he will under that alias ever. He seems like a very reclusive guy and doesn't want much light on himself.
4onesea

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:54:43 PM

He might have lost it!
.-.
Or he keeps the PW safe.

That's almost impossible in my opinion, he had planned to disappear several months before and his private keys are hidden somewhere.
DKMathias

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:58:00 PM

To be honest, i dont think so. He might "donate" some, but i dont hope he is greedy
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 12:45:38 AM

If he were to receive the $50 then he would need to give up his identity. He could transmit the TX to the other person via TOR and keep his IP address secret from the rest of the network but if he wanted to receive the fiat from the other person then the other person would need to know where to send the money.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 06:57:39 AM

It's still an open question concerning the genesis block coinbase.  Actually, that's not quite true.  The genesis block coinbase is spendable, but since the genesis block is hardcoded, there remains doubt that doing so won't break the running network; simply because a transaction that references back to the, very non-standard, genesis block would crash the verification code.  This could be fixed, if it had to be, but since this effects exactly one person on the planet (who doesn't seem inclined to do it anyway) why bother fixing a bug that isn't a real issue?  It's also possible that Satoshi didn't really want this coinbase to be spendable.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 06:59:02 AM

If he were to receive the $50 then he would need to give up his identity. He could transmit the TX to the other person via TOR and keep his IP address secret from the rest of the network but if he wanted to receive the fiat from the other person then the other person would need to know where to send the money.

Well, that's a good point.

wordman267645

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 07:01:36 AM

yes Cool Cool
Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:10:42 AM

Well, that's a good point.
Exactly. You can only keep your identity secret if you are dealing with a TX that is done 100% online and via a VPN/TOR. Once any part of your transaction involves anything that is not online (including sending fiat to someone, or shipping of some goods) then the other person must know your identity and this person could potentially leak your identity to the entire world.
CharHill

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 02:27:14 PM

So, do you think Satoshi will ever spend his bitcoins?
You can only answer with Yes or No on the poll. Got it?

This is going to be very interesting to see the results.
The reason there isn't a "maybe" is so that we can get a definite answer.
[/quote/]

Yes, i think he is spending some btc, but may be he do some fiction transactions.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 02:31:10 PM

I don't think satoshi will even reveal himself... Cool Cool

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: