Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:21:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: no escrow means scammer?  (Read 1641 times)
coynbyer123 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:31:21 AM

everone says use escrow.

all say trusted will always accept escrow

2 people contact me to sell me btc

wardrick and j.socal

both refuse escrow

this mean they both scammers?

they have good rep. why they refuse escrow.

seems shady

seems they want ppl to get scammed since they teach ppl not use escrow.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ABitNut

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:39:48 AM

everone says use escrow.

wardrick and j.socal

both refuse escrow

seems shady

Did they specify why they don't want to use escrow?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 03:42:43 AM

everone says use escrow.

wardrick and j.socal

both refuse escrow

seems shady

It doesn't mean they or anyone are necessarily scammers. It means you, as an inexperienced member of the community should not deal with them.

If you always you a reputable escrow you will not get scammed. That does not mean that if you don't use escrow you will (necessarily) get scammed. Logic is a bit hard sometimes.

coynbyer123 (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:25:37 AM

j.socal say:

"I don't do escrow..Check my trusted feedback..."

wardrick say:

"Don't take it personal I've just been around for awhile and I've experienced a lot of different scam attempts."

if experenced lot of scam attemps maybe he shuld think bout use escrow!
ABitNut

Activity: 764

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:40:03 AM

j.socal say:

"I don't do escrow..Check my trusted feedback..."

wardrick say:

"Don't take it personal I've just been around for awhile and I've experienced a lot of different scam attempts."

if experenced lot of scam attemps maybe he shuld think bout use escrow!

It is their right to refuse escrow. They seem to have carefully build a reputation for themselves. Maybe j.socal or wardrick would accept escrow from a trusted member if you pay the fee. If not it is up to you to decide if you trust them enough to deal without escrow.

Just using escrow doesn't guarantee anything. You have to trust the party providing the escrow service (what is stopping them from running off with the money?). That said, if you don't trust the buyer/seller but you do trust an escrow provider then obviously you should use escrow.
coynbyer123 (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:18:17 AM

Maybe j.socal or wardrick would accept escrow from a trusted member if you pay the fee.

of course i pay the fee

dont matter. they refuse escrow.

maybe not scammers yet but they will just wait and see

trustworthy person not afraid to use escrow
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 08:00:52 AM

This is how long j.socal has been around: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88214.0
And wardrick: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=85316

I've been around just about as long as j.socal, and I refuse escrow as well. I've seen too many escrows go bad, and it's very simple to tell if I've sold my account or not. If you can't trust anyone in the fucktons of positive feedbackers, then how could you trust an escrow, unless that escrow is your partner in crime?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
joshraban76

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:59:21 AM

Juts because someone does not use escrow does not mean they are a scammer, if you are unsure about someone then usually it is best to avoid them until you can be sure they are not what you think they are which is scammers.. Sometimes it can take time to realise if someone could be trustworthy or out to scam you and if you are unsure if it probably best to avoid until you can be sure.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
cinder

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:15:52 AM

People trading bitcoin don't generally take escrow as all trades are very sensitive to both timing and price.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 01:03:21 PM

It might be that they want to make the deal fast. Or the amount to deal with is that small that they dont think its needed. Including an escrow could mean that it takes a day or two longer. You can check how long users are around, how active they are and what their trustrating are.

In general... if you want to deal with a new member and you have to pay first then i would not do it without using an escrow. The risk for that new member would be pretty small to run with the money. If you claim he is a scammer he wouldnt care and create the next account. But members that are in here for a long time and are active members are somewhat safer. At the end you need to check the reputation of the trading partner or the reputation of escrows available. Some escrows have already a trust in the + hundreds.

I forgot... it happens more often with domain sales but it might happen here too that trading partners offer to use the escrow service of a website that in fact is a fake escrow site and only looks legit.

Its not really easy but at the end use your brain to decide the risk you want to take.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
coynbyer123 (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:18:13 PM

It might be that they want to make the deal fast. Or the amount to deal with is that small that they dont think its needed. Including an escrow could mean that it takes a day or two longer. You can check how long users are around, how active they are and what their trustrating are.

In general... if you want to deal with a new member and you have to pay first then i would not do it without using an escrow. The risk for that new member would be pretty small to run with the money. If you claim he is a scammer he wouldnt care and create the next account. But members that are in here for a long time and are active members are somewhat safer. At the end you need to check the reputation of the trading partner or the reputation of escrows available. Some escrows have already a trust in the + hundreds.

I forgot... it happens more often with domain sales but it might happen here too that trading partners offer to use the escrow service of a website that in fact is a fake escrow site and only looks legit.

Its not really easy but at the end use your brain to decide the risk you want to take.

is fast.

escrow provider sent less than hour.

cash in mail takes same with or witout escrow have to wait for post office to open

is 3 btc.  that amount to small?

i use dannyhamilton escrow

im in chicago hes in chicago

i meet him f2f

i know what he look like

i see what car he drive

if he scam me, i report to police

no ecrow no deal to many scammer
coynbyer123 (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:06:27 PM

wardrick refuse escrow

first say:

"I'd prefer not to use an Escrow since we're dealing with cash in the mail."

that make sense?

then say:

"I don't have the entire 3.28 BTC, I'm trying to make a flip to make about 10%, so if I don't have the cash I can't buy the BTC"

so is scammer

dont even have btc to sell

wants me send money first then hope to buy btc for profit

if price change then what?  i get screwed?

good thing i use escrow
Bapple

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:48:47 PM

The best way to do a transaction is to go a reputable source. Like an escrow service.  Shocked

Grin https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/bapple/   Cheesy
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 04:50:40 PM

not necessarily, but sometimes it can be truth .

So please be careful  Roll Eyes .
dande1

Activity: 39

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 05:09:44 PM

Yup, smells like scammers.
DANIEL77

Activity: 591

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 07:22:26 PM

Newbie and no escrow - 99% it's scammer. Trustworthy member don't afraid to use escrow service.
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 09:29:57 PM

Well there are some very trusted people who dont need scrow, however if you tell him that you wanna use scrow and they refuse, smells fishy.
onezerobit

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 11:52:17 PM

The users hold the right to refuse escrow.....so what you should do is, move on, and find someone who will do escrow.

But with your newbie status, i suspect anyone would want to deal with you on your terms.

www.1zerobit.com - Don't just sit there, go trade
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 08:25:02 AM

Wait, some say escrow slow?

Why would escrow be slow?

Isn't it just multi-sig?

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
oceans

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 02:37:14 PM

You can never be too sure as to whether you may be dealing with a scammer. Basing it on the fact they don't accept escrow alone I don't feel is sufficient proof that they are scammers or are out to scam you but merely that they choose to not use escrow. If you are not happy with someone who does not accept escrow then find someone that does if it means you will have a better peace of mind.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: