Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:01:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New iOS wallet called Bither supporting both online and offline use  (Read 5029 times)
Jubettarr

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 12:50:42 PM

Integration with a desktop version would eliminate the need for two separate mobile devices. It might be helpful to define a standard method for encoding raw transactions through QR codes. Has this ever been done through a BIP or other proposal?
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 04:48:22 PM

btw all ios devices are backdoored..so this is kind of stupid

Perhaps you would be so kind as to list some known losses attributable to this 'iOS backdoor'?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 05:27:24 AM

IDK if I would feel comfortable using a mobile device as a cold wallet. I think simply speaking mobile devices are too volatile and susceptible to crashing to be good enough to serve as a cold wallet. From what I can see from the OP it looks like if the screen of your cold wallet were to be cracked to the point that a camera cannot read a QR code displayed on it then you would not be able to sign transactions with it (I guess you could technically sign them, but you would have no way of getting the TX onto the network without connecting it to the internet). Another concern is how frequent it is that people will steal phones, and the number of reasons people have to steal your phone. If someone were to steal your cold wallet phone then you would essentially lose your private keys, regardless if the thief is able to steal your money or not.
bithernet

Activity: 661
Merit: 503

A simple and secure Bitcoin wallet!

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 08:29:30 AM

Well done. This looks really promising.

Thanks  Smiley

http://Bither.net
Bither - a simple and secure Bitcoin wallet!
1BsTwoMaX3aYx9Nc8GdgHZzzAGmG669bC3
bithernet

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 09:12:47 AM

This sounds amazing, but this is me trying to understand how it works.... https://p.gr-assets.com/540x540/fit/hostedimages/1380397958/768540.gif

You can watch our demo video http://youtu.be/Q1DSrc7qkrs for a little more information about Bither.
Thanks for your support.
 Cheesy

bithernet

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 02:33:11 AM

It's a rumor  Wink

bithernet

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 02:38:23 AM

This is an exciting BTC Wallet. Also, you can use android version. Android devices can backup private key to SD card automatically. For IOS devices, you'd better backup your private keys with QR code manually.

Thanks  Grin

We suggest users to play with Bither with small amount of bitcoins (several mBTCs) first.
After have been familiar with Bither and have prepared enough backup devices or methods, users can try a little more.

michaelwang33

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 03:50:21 AM

It's a rumor  Wink
Apple does have the ability to force you to upgrade an app or to download and install a new version of an app so they could easily put in some kind of backdoor in any new version. They can also force an app to be deleted from your phone although this is rare.

The biggest problem is that the version you download from the App Store cannot be inspected in any way and is sandboxed.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
bithernet

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 07:18:08 AM

Integration with a desktop version would eliminate the need for two separate mobile devices. It might be helpful to define a standard method for encoding raw transactions through QR codes. Has this ever been done through a BIP or other proposal?

Mobile phone OS (Android, iOS) is much easier to use and also more secure than desktop OS (Windows). e.g. :
1. All installed applications on your desktop computer can easily access your Bitcoin wallet file, but on your mobile phone other Apps can't access Bither's data.
2. Mobile phones can easily scan the QR Code, but it's difficult on desktop computers.
3. The UE of modern mobile phones are much better than desktop computers.

For these reasons, currently we are just working hard on Bither Android and iOS versions. Maybe we will consider to develop desktop version in future.

Thanks for your advice. It's very nice of you.

Cheesy

bithernet

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 07:34:53 AM

IDK if I would feel comfortable using a mobile device as a cold wallet. I think simply speaking mobile devices are too volatile and susceptible to crashing to be good enough to serve as a cold wallet. From what I can see from the OP it looks like if the screen of your cold wallet were to be cracked to the point that a camera cannot read a QR code displayed on it then you would not be able to sign transactions with it (I guess you could technically sign them, but you would have no way of getting the TX onto the network without connecting it to the internet). Another concern is how frequent it is that people will steal phones, and the number of reasons people have to steal your phone. If someone were to steal your cold wallet phone then you would essentially lose your private keys, regardless if the thief is able to steal your money or not.

Actually mobile devices like iPhone or Android phones are not too easy to crash. The manufactures like Apple, Samsung, Moto are following higher industry standards to provide stable devices for people's daily use. Also because you should keep your Bither Cold Wallet phone in much safer environments, for example in your home but not in your pocket, it will be much safer.

Bither Cold also supports two kinds of backups:
1. You can easily clone the Cold Wallet private keys on a new phone, the only thing you need to do is scan the clone QR Codes.
2. With many Android phones supporting SD cards, you can buy some SD Cards, Bither cold will automatically backup encrypted private keys on SD card.

Bither also support advanced options for private key managements, you can backup the private keys in your own way.

Thanks for your support, Smiley

bithernet

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 03:56:15 AM

Looks OK, and I like the concept of combining cold storage to secure large sums of money with a hot wallet for daily spending.

However, considering the fact that it's closed source and from a fairly unknown developer, I would not trust my money with this. Especially with large savings, I will only trust that to something I can either 100% understand and verify myself, or that the general public (and in particular, other independent developers worldwide) can understand and verify.

I hope the developer will make this open source, as I think it's definitely a step forward in term of usability, and finding a compromise between ease of use and strong security.

Thanks for your interesting in our project.
We already opened android version's source code on github : https://github.com/bither/bither-android
Currently we are working hard on Bither iOS v1.0.1, and we will commit the source code ASAP : https://github.com/bither/bither-ios

So you should hurry to commit your source code. I'm watching.

bitheri : https://github.com/bither/bitheri
bither-ios : https://github.com/bither/bither-ios
Smiley

bithernet

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 04:08:03 AM

Bitheri : the first Bitcoin library implemented with Objective-C
https://github.com/bither/bitheri

Also, we released the souce code of bither-ios:
https://github.com/bither/bither-ios

Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 04:47:32 AM

Actually mobile devices like iPhone or Android phones are not too easy to crash. The manufactures like Apple, Samsung, Moto are following higher industry standards to provide stable devices for people's daily use. Also because you should keep your Bither Cold Wallet phone in much safer environments, for example in your home but not in your pocket, it will be much safer.

1. You can easily clone the Cold Wallet private keys on a new phone, the only thing you need to do is scan the clone QR Codes.
2. With many Android phones supporting SD cards, you can buy some SD Cards, Bither cold will automatically backup encrypted private keys on SD card.

Bither also support advanced options for private key managements, you can backup the private keys in your own way.

I said crack not crash. As in the screen getting cracked when you drop it (this is very easy to happen and happens all the time). I think it is a fair point that you would likely keep your phone in a safer environment then a phone you would not use for cold storage, but the risk is still there.
bithernet

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 05:14:06 AM

I said crack not crash. As in the screen getting cracked when you drop it (this is very easy to happen and happens all the time). I think it is a fair point that you would likely keep your phone in a safer environment then a phone you would not use for cold storage, but the risk is still there.

Ok, crack. Smiley
Even the screen of mobile phone getting cracked, there are still many ways to recover the data from ROM. Also, you should have other backups, e.g. SD card.
The solution of Bither are not to avoid crack, and who can avoid crack?
Bither users can easily have one Cold Wallet device (an offline phone) plus one backup device (a SD Card) with an simple and cheap way. If you need more safety ensurance, you can prepare more backup devices, and that is also easy when you are using Bither Wallet.

jiangjiazhi

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:15:47 AM

A car has run over my phone. Its screen has been broken. And it still works well as a cold wallet. Here is a photo of my phone. Grin
https://i.imgur.com/gNXT581.jpg
bithernet

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 07:10:30 AM

We just released Bither iOS v1.0.2 on App Store.
 Wink

zhouqi_cn

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:29:59 AM

I like this version Bither!

比太钱包(Bither)
比太钱包 - 易用、安全的比特币钱包!
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:18:31 AM

A car has run over my phone. Its screen has been broken. And it still works well as a cold wallet. Here is a photo of my phone. Grin

I would highly doubt that your phone would work as a cold wallet. If you need to display a QR code to be able to spend your coins then it will likely be difficult/impossible for the camera to be able to read what is being displayed on your phone.

jiangjiazhi

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 02:45:15 AM

https://i.imgur.com/gNXT581.jpg
I would highly doubt that your phone would work as a cold wallet. If you need to display a QR code to be able to spend your coins then it will likely be difficult/impossible for the camera to be able to read what is being displayed on your phone.
I am sure that  can scan qr code
BitcoinMachine (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 03:10:54 AM

Why is this post moved from 'Bitcoin Discussion' to here??
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: