Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:49:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling call options on your bitcoins  (Read 4265 times)
right wing authoritarian (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 07:40:57 AM

Hi All

I wanted to start selling call options over bitcoins.

It seems that people have tried this before and it is not gone well but I see no reason why it should not work if done properly.

Would appreciate input as to why this might be a bad idea.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wenben

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 07:46:06 AM

You need to have counter party and someone foolish enough to buy the call.

And how much collateral are you willing to put up for selling the call option?
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 12:14:10 PM

How would you go about doing this exactly?

Is there some sort of market infrastructure already in place to allow this?
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 09:16:54 PM

I think this is a great idea.  Just like any securities market you need some confidence that both parties will honor the deal, e.g. escrow.

So for example, one party pays X for the right to buy a bitcoin form you next month for (say) 600 USD, has to have confidence that you will honor that deal if the bitcoin is at 650 USD.

I would think an exchange could do this fairly easily, they would just encumber your bitcoin balance until the option expired or was exercised.  Of course, the exchanges has to be honest and reliable.... (Yes I'm looking at the grave of Mt. Gox)

Good Luck!
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 10:52:15 PM

Hi All

I wanted to start selling call options over bitcoins.

It seems that people have tried this before and it is not gone well but I see no reason why it should not work if done properly.

Would appreciate input as to why this might be a bad idea.

For one, the user name you chose is pretty poor.  It's like sending in a resume for a job and listing your contact info as suckmyballz@gmail.com

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:18:48 AM

So taking into account initial feedback I guess I would have to put sufficient bitcoin with an escrow so that the option holder had confidence that the call would be honoured. So as long as the buyer trusts the escrow then it should work regardless of whether people like my name or not.

Does anyone think that people would be interested. If you want to be long bitcoin it may be better for individuals to hold an option, depending on your risk preferences and what you want to use your money for. I would basically be sacrificing my upside but gaining some income now.

I am not really interested in setting up a market or anything so it would just be a private agreement mediated by an escrow.
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:29:14 AM

So taking into account initial feedback I guess I would have to put sufficient bitcoin with an escrow so that the option holder had confidence that the call would be honoured. So as long as the buyer trusts the escrow then it should work regardless of whether people like my name or not.

Does anyone think that people would be interested. If you want to be long bitcoin it may be better for individuals to hold an option, depending on your risk preferences and what you want to use your money for. I would basically be sacrificing my upside but gaining some income now.

I am not really interested in setting up a market or anything so it would just be a private agreement mediated by an escrow.

Once you have your buyer of the call, I think this might be the platform?
(and I would be the agent?)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=714005.0

SunBin

Activity: 151

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:32:45 AM

There is already a future margin and margin exchange offering leverage to traders.
2dogs
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:36:40 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2014, 05:46:51 AM by 2dogs

There is already a future margin and margin exchange offering leverage to traders.

Bitfinex offers margin leverage - 2.5 X, IIRC.
Not exactly the type of action an option play would bring.
Not suggesting Bitfinex either, total return swaps are a recent concern:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=667105.300

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=713722.0

I'd be interested in selling calls on DRK.
(There's always betmoose.com, I suppose Grin Grin Grin)
gmx95

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 01:05:17 AM

There are also a few binary options for btc offered by various brokers.

Bitcoin and Litecoin trading platform. Up to 100% deposit bonus. Fund with credit card. http://novafxtrading.com/bitcoin-trading
blumangroup

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 01:23:03 AM

This is still not the same as buying options. Options will provide a speculator massive leverage (often several hundred "x") in the event the market moves in his favor, while limiting his downside to his initial investment in all scenarios. Margin on the other hand offers a small amount of leverage, but a speculator can lose his initial investment and all of the money that he borrowed to finance his position.

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 01:27:10 AM

I offered such a service here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=557743.0

but there was nearly no interest for it, even though it was with 100% collateral in escrow.

TheGull

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 01:44:48 AM

I would be an interested buyer (at the right price of course) if it could be done properly. The idea of the full balance of coins in escrow (as per TwinWinNerD's proposal) works. In the options world this is called a "covered call" because you are selling the right to buy an asset which you already hold so your obligation is covered.

Even if the interest is not there yet, it will come. This is a necessary part of any developed financial eco system. It also opens up massive potential for hedging bitcoin to USD for payment processors and companies accepting bitcoin.
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 01:47:09 AM

I am still very much open to writing call options (covered) for shorter terms (at max. 1 month). Just PM me or reply in the other thread and we can work something out.

(will probably only reply tomorrow though)

2dogs
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 02:39:33 AM

Twin,

You are willing to write a covered call - isn't the OP wanting to sell a call?

Aren't you both bearish - on the same side of the trade?
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 02:42:10 AM

Twin,

Yes. I wasnt responding to Op but to TheGull

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:40:38 AM

Twin,

Yes. I wasnt responding to Op but to TheGull

Actually I would also be willing to buy at the right price, I am not bearish or bullish per say I just think it is a pity that such a volatile asset as bitcoin does not have an active options market.

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:47:10 AM

I would be an interested buyer (at the right price of course) if it could be done properly. The idea of the full balance of coins in escrow (as per TwinWinNerD's proposal) works. In the options world this is called a "covered call" because you are selling the right to buy an asset which you already hold so your obligation is covered.

Even if the interest is not there yet, it will come. This is a necessary part of any developed financial eco system. It also opens up massive potential for hedging bitcoin to USD for payment processors and companies accepting bitcoin.

Let us know what size call you might be interested in buying and over what time period. I will have a go at pricing the option and if we can agree on a fair value then we can deal or maybe TwinWinNerD and I can take half the action each.
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 05:51:13 AM

I am still very much open to writing call options (covered) for shorter terms (at max. 1 month). Just PM me or reply in the other thread and we can work something out.

Covered call is same as naked put.

If you are trying to benefit from the interest portion, you can check out ICBIT on future contract.

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 07:21:16 AM

Covered call is same as naked put.

If you are trying to benefit from the interest portion, you can check out ICBIT on future contract.

How is a covered call the same as a naked put?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: