Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:08:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pros and Cons to Anon coins, Including Darkcoin / Cloakcoin, lets discuss them.  (Read 8705 times)
battbot

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:26:20 PM

Some mobile devices will run with a full node. They'll stake and everything.

Other devices (say, dumbphones) that can't run a node will end up using PoBC. The basic idea is:
- dumbphone node contacts other nodes
- provably establishes that the other nodes' blockchains are legit
- thereby proves that a given tx is legit

Why would you say that this is ill-advised? In my view mobile-friendliness is absolutely critical to mainstream adoption.

Why reinvent the wheel? Just use Electrum (open source!) or SPV.

Probably because XC offers both completely anonymous transactions and instant p2p encrypted messaging.  In other words, XC offers a complete platform that protects one's rights to privacy.  Bye NSA.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreedomCoin (OP)

Activity: 675
Merit: 507

Freedom to choose

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:35:51 PM

This is not a discuses anyone more ... everyone is just throwing his coin in here and trying to advertise so their coin gets pumped how pathetic is this really... Please stay on the topic and let us only focus on DARKCOIN and CLOAKCOIN. Can we do this ? Thank you

I feel we should discuss any Anon coin as long as its related to similar protocols so they are comparable.. If you want a thread on a one vs one, then i suggest you create a self moderated topic so you can do that.

PowderMonkey

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:41:40 PM

This is not a discuses anyone more ... everyone is just throwing his coin in here and trying to advertise so their coin gets pumped how pathetic is this really... Please stay on the topic and let us only focus on DARKCOIN and CLOAKCOIN. Can we do this ? Thank you

I feel we should discuss any Anon coin as long as its related to similar protocols so they are comparable.. If you want a thread on a one vs one, then i suggest you create a self moderated topic so you can do that.

Then you don't understood why we made this thread in the first place....

Ummm.. maybe I'm missing something, but seeing that he's the OP, I'm sure he does lol.

Not sure what your goal is but there's good discussion going on here, and your Willy Wonka videos etc aren't really adding useful info to the conversation.

synechist
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

To commodify ethicality is to ethicise the market

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 03:41:52 PM

If there's general consensus that this thread should only be concerned with Cloak and DRK then I'm quite happy to not talk about XC. I have no intention of irritating you guys.

On the other hand, if there's a general interest in viable anon systems - since Cloak and DRK are hardly the only significant contenders - then I'd say that discussing XC is pretty valuable.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
Sleepyx

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:42:04 PM

Then you don't understood why you made this thread in the first place....

lol

Trade crypto? Check out Quatloo Trader - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=711966.0
policymaker

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto Currency Supporter

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:44:41 PM

always nice to know ur OP isnt braindead

XCurrency Price Speculation Topic
Coin Control Basic guide                                                                XChat address/private/instant/absolute: XSKu1fpwvRcAekfK91qVHi51Tgz4ckoA91
XChat public key: zcfx74j4fFK9hW7rQniTvLyDyXd9SyRCrncP9vdukbVT
FreedomCoin (OP)

Freedom to choose

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:44:57 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2014, 04:39:57 PM by FreedomCoin

Since this is not a moderated thread its going to be too difficult policing what people are discussing. I do not have the time for that, if you feel that is an important discussion please create one, and feel free to post a link in this thread so others can discuss Dark and Cloak coin centric issues.

Yes originally i was going for just Cloak and Dark, but stopping others from talking about other coins is too difficult.

Having an open discussion across all Anon coins in a thread isnt a bad idea, that way they can all be compared in the same place.. instead of having to thread jump between 5 or more coins.

hoertest

Activity: 882

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:46:59 PM

Yeah , i didn't want to spam but thats how i understood it also, you seen my pro con list for OP FreedomCoin?
rethink-your-strategy

Activity: 173
Merit: 182

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:47:11 PM

Why reinvent the wheel? Just use Electrum (open source!) or SPV.

Probably because XC offers both completely anonymous transactions and instant p2p encrypted messaging.  In other words, XC offers a complete platform that protects one's rights to privacy.  Bye NSA.

I don't think you understand what the adults are talking about. Go watch your cartoons and we can talk later, ok?
FreedomCoin (OP)

Freedom to choose

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:03:08 PM

There was a clear talk that both coin community's agreed that we would make a external thread so we can talk everything inside this that have to do with Darkcoin and cloakcoin because of the fud and spam we/you get in the main thread and the darkcoin "jokers" are crying why we delete their posts.

Yes you are correct, that was the plan. But policing the thread is not my style, nor can i do so on a work day handling everything else i am doing. Sorry for changing the direction of this thread.... Feel free to create a new self moderated thread and link it here.

FreedomCoin (OP)

Freedom to choose

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:12:04 PM

Does anyone know if Darknet sites are accepting these Anon coins?

Sleepyx

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:23:12 PM

Theres one that says they will add them, both dark and cloak, once they are open source, they can't trust anything while its closed.

Trade crypto? Check out Quatloo Trader - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=711966.0
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:23:15 PM

Probably not going to see a ton of acceptance until sources are released and the code vetted that they do in fact provide the anonymity that users are looking for.
FreedomCoin (OP)

Freedom to choose

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:28:42 PM

Makes sense, and for the sites that use escrow they do not want their used coin to collapse and then people asking what happened to the funds.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:11:06 PM

Quote from: illodin
The goal when ddos'ing nodes is to first set up many nodes yourself, then ddos the other nodes, so you can then have a control of big enough percentage of the nodes so you can spy the transactions with good enough success.

Again, since transactions are fragmented into small pieces and then sent through the network, this attack would not be effective.  The attacker could try to spy the network, but the truth of the matter is that the remaining good nodes are still going to end up handling the transactions, however few they may be.  But again, since every single wallet is a node, I just don't see this attack being feasible.

How can you tell which nodes are good and which nodes are spying? You can't.

You can't spy productively on XC nodes because private transactions are fragmented and because every node forwards them trustless. This creates a scenario where there's no telling if the sender/recipient of a fragment is the original sender or final recipient, and there's no telling whether the amount sent is the whole amount.

Furthermore since fragments can be sent, even non-private transactions become "private" in this respect, since the amount sent could be a fragment, and so a spy has no grounds to assert that the amount sent/received is the total amount, or that the sender/recipient is the original sender/final recipient.

If the attacker is controlling nodes A and B, and they both receive fragments (= XC encrypted messages?) from the same IP at the same time, he knows that is the IP of the sender, not another node forwarding fragments. And if the attacker is controlling all nodes in a path starting from A or B, he knows the sending and receiving addresses. Or is this totally wrong?
synechist
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 05:20:44 PM

Quote from: illodin
The goal when ddos'ing nodes is to first set up many nodes yourself, then ddos the other nodes, so you can then have a control of big enough percentage of the nodes so you can spy the transactions with good enough success.

Again, since transactions are fragmented into small pieces and then sent through the network, this attack would not be effective.  The attacker could try to spy the network, but the truth of the matter is that the remaining good nodes are still going to end up handling the transactions, however few they may be.  But again, since every single wallet is a node, I just don't see this attack being feasible.

How can you tell which nodes are good and which nodes are spying? You can't.

You can't spy productively on XC nodes because private transactions are fragmented and because every node forwards them trustless. This creates a scenario where there's no telling if the sender/recipient of a fragment is the original sender or final recipient, and there's no telling whether the amount sent is the whole amount.

Furthermore since fragments can be sent, even non-private transactions become "private" in this respect, since the amount sent could be a fragment, and so a spy has no grounds to assert that the amount sent/received is the total amount, or that the sender/recipient is the original sender/final recipient.

If the attacker is controlling nodes A and B, and they both receive fragments (= XC encrypted messages?) from the same IP at the same time, he knows that is the IP of the sender, not another node forwarding fragments. And if the attacker is controlling all nodes in a path starting from A or B, he knows the sending and receiving addresses. Or is this totally wrong?

Hmm... let's say that an attacker controlling two nodes receives fragments from a single other node at the same time:

- the node's IP will be concealed due to it being either on TOR or something proprietary which I can't reveal yet. (TOR is current - the XC TOR Stick is releasing on Thur next week; it's its own OS, runs as a TOR node, and does payments and XChat. However in future there are other, even more secure plans...)

- the node will be identifiable as the sender of the fragments

- the node will not be identifiable as the originator of the payment that the fragments partly comprise

- the node will not be identifiable as the sender of the payment

- if it's a message rather than a private payment, it's not forwarded but sent directly to the recipient and encrypted from end to end, so to snoop on it you'd need to decrypt it (which is computationally infeasible).

- even if attacker nodes happen to receive all the fragments of a transaction, there will be no way to know that this is the case, and so the amount sent will not be ascertainable.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:31:40 PM

- the node will not be identifiable as the originator of the payment that the fragments partly comprise

So any node within a path can divide it to further fragments? This mean that the node count involved in a path grows exponentially?
synechist
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 05:52:02 PM

So any node within a path can divide it to further fragments? This mean that the node count involved in a path grows exponentially?

No, it just means that any given node can't tell whether what it's received is the original transaction or a fragment.

Co-Founder, the Blocknet
policymaker

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto Currency Supporter

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 06:40:57 PM

No, it just means that any given node can't tell whether what it's received is the original transaction or a fragment.

So XC teamm announced its working on making the wallet/app Skype like, albeit totally anonymous and decentralized. Surely that must be worth some looking into. But no, lets argue whether s topic should be moderated or not...

XCurrency Price Speculation Topic
Coin Control Basic guide                                                                XChat address/private/instant/absolute: XSKu1fpwvRcAekfK91qVHi51Tgz4ckoA91
XChat public key: zcfx74j4fFK9hW7rQniTvLyDyXd9SyRCrncP9vdukbVT
rethink-your-strategy

Activity: 173
Merit: 182

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 06:50:23 PM

So XC teamm announced its working on making the wallet/app Skype like, albeit totally anonymous and decentralized. Surely that must be worth some looking into. But no, lets argue whether s topic should be moderated or not...

I can announce all sorts of bullshit, doesn't make it viable, workable, or even doable. Let's wait and see if they deliver on something that works AND is cryptographically sound.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: