Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 04:07:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We already passed the tipping point of BTC  (Read 14162 times)
Serby

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:05:58 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2014, 11:18:28 PM by Serby

Please, spare us the BS. "A child's toy in the future will put to shame the combined might of all the computers on earth right now." He's the next guy you're talking about. That's all we have to know.

I think you are missing the point....

I am not talking about what unknown coin is out there or anything that will be the next big thing.

I am simply talking about No one knows what Bitcoin will be, so its silly to assume that we have passed the tipping point, or hasn't even reached close to its potential.  Like I said, we are all guessing and hoping.

Don't think too much....

Where the hell did I say anything about an unknown coin in my reply to you? Do I have to teach you how to read? The whole point is that BTC is doomed, tipping point or not. Re-read my post.

Your scenario about a BTC doom computer in the future is just that - in the future, which does NOT mean that BTC is NOT adding value today and that BTC and/or its technologies are NOT going to continue adding value for quite some time into the future... If and/or when such a BTC doom computer comes about in the future, then we can cross that bridge at that time, and surely there are various engineering and programming maneuvers that can be used to safeguard, modify or prevent some of this doom and/or gloom that you are projecting in the distant and uncertain BTC future.

That doom, as you would put it, is a necessary evil compared to the benefits on every aspect of human life such a revolution will bring about.

Science ultimately aims at every aspect of human life, btc is not the be-all and end-all to life. The "future is just that?", use your senses and your imagination, just like the inventor of btc did when he envisionned a brighter and better world for the people.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3724
Merit: 10318

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:47:05 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 12:28:26 AM by JayJuanGee

Please, spare us the BS. "A child's toy in the future will put to shame the combined might of all the computers on earth right now." He's the next guy you're talking about. That's all we have to know.

I am not talking about what unknown coin is out there or anything that will be the next big thing.

I am simply talking about No one knows what Bitcoin will be, so its silly to assume that we have passed the tipping point, or hasn't even reached close to its potential.  Like I said, we are all guessing and hoping.

Don't think too much....

Where the hell did I say anything about an unknown coin in my reply to you? Do I have to teach you how to read? The whole point is that BTC is doomed, tipping point or not. Re-read my post.

Your scenario about a BTC doom computer in the future is just that - in the future, which does NOT mean that BTC is NOT adding value today and that BTC and/or its technologies are NOT going to continue adding value for quite some time into the future... If and/or when such a BTC doom computer comes about in the future, then we can cross that bridge at that time, and surely there are various engineering and programming maneuvers that can be used to safeguard, modify or prevent some of this doom and/or gloom that you are projecting in the distant and uncertain BTC future.

That doom, as you would put it, is a necessary evil compared to the benefits on every aspect of human life such a revolution will bring about.

Science ultimately aims at every aspect of human life, btc is not the be-all and end-all to life. The "future is just that?", use your senses and your imagination, just like the inventor of btc did when he envisionned a brighter and better world for the people.

I have NOT heard anyone say or suggest that BTC is the "be-all" and "end-all to life" (or even words substantively resembling those), and actually, I will concede that even though BTC can have a useful purpose, it is similar to any other currency or storage of value when a person is stranded on a desert Island....   But currently, we are NOT stranded on a desert island, the last time I looked.  

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Serby

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:53:07 AM

Don't think too much....

I have NOT heard anyone say or suggest that BTC is the "be-all" and "end-all to life" (or even words substantively resembling those), and actually, I will concede that even though BTC can have a useful purpose, it is similar to any other currency or storage of value when a person is stranded on a desert Island....   But currently, we are NOT stranded on a desert island, the last time I looked.  

"I will concede that even though BTC can have a useful purpose, it is similar to any other currency or storage of value when a person is stranded on a desert Island...." Since BTC is a medium of exchange, I don't see what you're talking about right now. Arguing for the sake of arguing is pointless and will lead us nowhere. What do you think you're even doing?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:29:43 AM

Don't think too much....

"I will concede that even though BTC can have a useful purpose, it is similar to any other currency or storage of value when a person is stranded on a desert Island...." Since BTC is a medium of exchange, I don't see what you're talking about right now. Arguing for the sake of arguing is pointless and will lead us nowhere. What do you think you're even doing?

I thought that we were having a back and forth communications of ideas related to bitcoin, and in several respects you were suggesting the doom and gloom for bitcoin. I made several suggestions that it was NOT doom and gloom for bitcoin, and I made various responses to your doom and gloom arguments.  So, NOW, it seems that you don't want to talk about it anymore, so you appear to have changed the subject.   Cheesy

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Serby

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:08:49 AM

Don't think too much....

I thought that we were having a back and forth communications of ideas related to bitcoin, and in several respects you were suggesting the doom and gloom for bitcoin. I made several suggestions that it was NOT doom and gloom for bitcoin, and I made various responses to your doom and gloom arguments.  So, NOW, it seems that you don't want to talk about it anymore, so you appear to have changed the subject.   Cheesy

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the discussion, but you evaded my question about the global economic situation in the usa. Bis repetitas: do you think that the usa economy is picking up atm?
leex1528

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:32:16 PM

No one knows anything as much as the next guy.  We can all hope and "speculate" all we want but when it comes down to it we are simply guessing.  How many people knew that bitcoin would even get this big?  I don't think a lot of people ever thought it would become this.

Don't think too much....

Sigh, I see we can't have a reasonable conversation without insulting each other on the internet. 

I was simply stating that in your post that I replied to, you mentioned that " A child's toy in the future will put to shame the combined might of all the computers on earth right now."  He's the next guy you're talking about. That's all we have to know.

As to that statement I can take it two ways, you are stating that is BS, or you are stating that spare us the BS, and your next 2 sentences are then providing the alternate view point.  I assumed you meant what I said was BS, and that your view point was the clear logical choice. 

As to that, a child's toy in the future I took to meant as something unknown will be great in the future, since bitcoin is a coin, I spoke of another alternate coin as in an unknown future item, or something else in the future. 

Anyway I am glad you took the time out of your day to insult me!
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:12:10 PM

Don't think too much....

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the discussion, but you evaded my question about the global economic situation in the usa. Bis repetitas: do you think that the usa economy is picking up atm?

Maybe I evaded your question b/c your question NOT contribute directly to the relevance of the discussion regaring BTC's tipping point? 

I am NO fricking USA economy expert, and how is what I think about the USA economy relevant to any determination about whether bitcoin is doom and gloom as you had been framing it or on the up and up as I had been framing it? 

In my various posts in other threads, I mentioned that part of the reason that I got into investing into BTC was b/c I considered BTC to be a decent hedge against the dollar.. in other words, before I got into BTC, it seemed to me that way too much of my total investment portfolio was connected with the success or failure of the dollar.  So if the dollar is doing o.k., then I am doing o.k.  I still believe that BTC is somewhat of a hedge against the dollar, yet i am beginning to think that it may NOT be a sufficiently comprehensive hedge - especially b/c of the way that wallstreet and big money seem to have been getting into this BTC space, and potentially involved in some of the attempts at manipulating the BTC space.

So, whether I perceive the USA economy to be doing well or NOT?  I think that the USA economy is going to be able to keep up some smoke and mirrors semblance of staying on top of things for at least another 10 years.... lots of world economies are in shambles, so I am NOT clear about who or what would replace the USA, if it were to fail in a large way.  So possibly, the smoke and mirrors can be kept going for longer than 10 years... and do I need to predict beyond that? 

In more minor ways, the USA economy may crash at any moment or it may keep plugging along.. stocks have been doing fairly well lately, but regular people have been getting screwed over in the USA... Will it implode in a large way?   I doubt it.  NOT any time soon.  NOT before the next presidential election... hehehehe   Cheesy    Will there be other adjustments?  probably there are going to be minor sector failures and scandals on an ongoing basis.  How does this affect bitcoin?  probably is good for bitcoin when there are problems with other financial systems.

Serby

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:44:29 PM

Don't think too much....

I thought that we were having a back and forth communications of ideas related to bitcoin, and in several respects you were suggesting the doom and gloom for bitcoin. I made several suggestions that it was NOT doom and gloom for bitcoin, and I made various responses to your doom and gloom arguments.  So, NOW, it seems that you don't want to talk about it anymore, so you appear to have changed the subject.   Cheesy

Maybe I evaded your question b/c your question NOT contribute directly to the relevance of the discussion regaring BTC's tipping point?  

I am NO fricking USA economy expert, and how is what I think about the USA economy relevant to any determination about whether bitcoin is doom and gloom as you had been framing it or on the up and up as I had been framing it?  

In my various posts in other threads, I mentioned that part of the reason that I got into investing into BTC was b/c I considered BTC to be a decent hedge against the dollar.. in other words, before I got into BTC, it seemed to me that way too much of my total investment portfolio was connected with the success or failure of the dollar.  So if the dollar is doing o.k., then I am doing o.k.  I still believe that BTC is somewhat of a hedge against the dollar, yet i am beginning to think that it may NOT be a sufficiently comprehensive hedge - especially b/c of the way that wallstreet and big money seem to have been getting into this BTC space, and potentially involved in some of the attempts at manipulating the BTC space.

So, whether I perceive the USA economy to be doing well or NOT?  I think that the USA economy is going to be able to keep up some smoke and mirrors semblance of staying on top of things for at least another 10 years.... lots of world economies are in shambles, so I am NOT clear about who or what would replace the USA, if it were to fail in a large way.  So possibly, the smoke and mirrors can be kept going for longer than 10 years... and do I need to predict beyond that?  

In more minor ways, the USA economy may crash at any moment or it may keep plugging along.. stocks have been doing fairly well lately, but regular people have been getting screwed over in the USA... Will it implode in a large way?   I doubt it.  NOT any time soon.  NOT before the next presidential election... hehehehe   Cheesy    Will there be other adjustments?  probably there are going to be minor sector failures and scandals on an ongoing basis.  How does this affect bitcoin?  probably is good for bitcoin when there are problems with other financial systems.

"probably is good for bitcoin when there are problems with other financial systems." "I still believe that BTC is somewhat of a hedge against the dollar".

That's precisely what I was alluding to when I mentioned the 8000% growth rate. You made my point against yourself all on your own.

"Maybe I evaded your question b/c your question NOT contribute directly to the relevance of the discussion regaring BTC's tipping point?"

At best, that's called debating for the sake of debate, at worst, reversed psychology? I'll leave it the readers of this thread to decide for themeselves of the pertinence of your answer.

You're a debate killer, I'm done with you.

Thank you.
Serby

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:55:14 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 05:18:49 PM by Serby

No one knows anything as much as the next guy.  We can all hope and "speculate" all we want but when it comes down to it we are simply guessing.  How many people knew that bitcoin would even get this big?  I don't think a lot of people ever thought it would become this.

Don't think too much....

Sigh, I see we can't have a reasonable conversation without insulting each other on the internet.  

I was simply stating that in your post that I replied to, you mentioned that " A child's toy in the future will put to shame the combined might of all the computers on earth right now."  He's the next guy you're talking about. That's all we have to know.

As to that statement I can take it two ways, you are stating that is BS, or you are stating that spare us the BS, and your next 2 sentences are then providing the alternate view point.  I assumed you meant what I said was BS, and that your view point was the clear logical choice.  

As to that, a child's toy in the future I took to meant as something unknown will be great in the future, since bitcoin is a coin, I spoke of another alternate coin as in an unknown future item, or something else in the future.  

Anyway I am glad you took the time out of your day to insult me!

"Sigh, I see we can't have a reasonable conversation without insulting each other on the internet."

Call me the bad guy.

Now seriously, when you said "I am not talking about what unknown coin is out there", how can you possibly base you argument on the fact that you simply "were stating that in [my] post that [you] replied to, mentioned that...".

I don't see what you're talking about right now. Get your facts straight.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 05:22:06 PM

Don't think too much....

I thought that we were having a back and forth communications of ideas related to bitcoin, and in several respects you were suggesting the doom and gloom for bitcoin. I made several suggestions that it was NOT doom and gloom for bitcoin, and I made various responses to your doom and gloom arguments.  So, NOW, it seems that you don't want to talk about it anymore, so you appear to have changed the subject.   Cheesy

In my various posts in other threads, I mentioned that part of the reason that I got into investing into BTC was b/c I considered BTC to be a decent hedge against the dollar.. in other words, before I got into BTC, it seemed to me that way too much of my total investment portfolio was connected with the success or failure of the dollar.  So if the dollar is doing o.k., then I am doing o.k.  I still believe that BTC is somewhat of a hedge against the dollar, yet i am beginning to think that it may NOT be a sufficiently comprehensive hedge - especially b/c of the way that wallstreet and big money seem to have been getting into this BTC space, and potentially involved in some of the attempts at manipulating the BTC space.

So, whether I perceive the USA economy to be doing well or NOT?  I think that the USA economy is going to be able to keep up some smoke and mirrors semblance of staying on top of things for at least another 10 years.... lots of world economies are in shambles, so I am NOT clear about who or what would replace the USA, if it were to fail in a large way.  So possibly, the smoke and mirrors can be kept going for longer than 10 years... and do I need to predict beyond that?  

In more minor ways, the USA economy may crash at any moment or it may keep plugging along.. stocks have been doing fairly well lately, but regular people have been getting screwed over in the USA... Will it implode in a large way?   I doubt it.  NOT any time soon.  NOT before the next presidential election... hehehehe   Cheesy    Will there be other adjustments?  probably there are going to be minor sector failures and scandals on an ongoing basis.  How does this affect bitcoin?  probably is good for bitcoin when there are problems with other financial systems.

"probably is good for bitcoin when there are problems with other financial systems." "I still believe that BTC is somewhat of a hedge against the dollar".

That's precisely what I was alluding to when I mentioned the 8000% growth rate. You made my point against yourself all on your own.

"Maybe I evaded your question b/c your question NOT contribute directly to the relevance of the discussion regaring BTC's tipping point?"

At best, that's called debating for the sake of debate, at worst, reversed psychology? I'll leave it the readers of this thread to decide for themeselves of the pertinence of your answer.

Thank you.

I will take your throwing out insults and attempting to recharacterize our communications in this thread as a signal of your capitulation.  By the way, I am NOT trying to win anything with you, such as a debate - even though we seem to have differing views regarding whether BTC is doom and gloom or NOT.  You assert that it is doom and gloom, and I do NOT.

leex1528

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 05:33:28 PM

"Sigh, I see we can't have a reasonable conversation without insulting each other on the internet."

Call me the bad guy.

Now seriously, when you said "I am not talking about what unknown coin is out there", how can you possibly base you argument on the fact that you simply "were stating that in [my] post that [you] replied to, mentioned that...".

I'm not calling you a bad guy...

You said ""A child's toy in the future will put to shame the combined might of all the computers on earth right now"

To which I understood as"something unknown is out there that will be the next big thing"

To which I replied "I am not talking about an Unknown coin or anything that will be the next big thing"

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at?
MÖGUL™

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 05:34:26 PM

hey folks,

in the last days i had the feeling that we already passed the tipping point of bitcoin. maybe 2014 is THE breaketrough year for bitcoin in the history books. why? because a lot of things come together in my view that we would never think of in early 2013 (thats just 1,5 years ago!) :

- hunderts of millions of VC Money
- Regulation (most more pro than contra)
- Upcoming ETFs
- Adoption from merchants and consumers (DELL, Wikipedia, Expedia etc)
- first BTC stock is launching maybe in 2014 (mining)
- conferences all over the globe
- mainstream coverage (and alot more pro than in 2013)

when i started with bitcoin in Feb. 2013 none of these things existed.

i thought the chance that bitcoin will fail would be 70-80%. now i think, its 10-20%. even if we have bugs in the code, we will survive. even if companies will fail, we will survive. its the honey badger of money  Wink

and we dont have to push Amazon to adopt BTC anymore. it will happen anyway.

iam more optimistic than ever (but maybe iam wrong  Cheesy ! )

-LiteCoinGuy-

Definitely with you on this one... This is one of the phenomenons that has the capacity to grow like, the internet, Visa, and Smartphones. Simply because its needed and necessary in todays world.

I think we will look back at this in 5-10 years time and be like "remember when btc was only $600, now its $10000. If only!

BTC The future.
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 05:40:56 PM

hey folks,

in the last days i had the feeling that we already passed the tipping point of bitcoin. maybe 2014 is THE breaketrough year for bitcoin in the history books. why? because a lot of things come together in my view that we would never think of in early 2013 (thats just 1,5 years ago!) :

- hunderts of millions of VC Money
- Regulation (most more pro than contra)
- Upcoming ETFs
- Adoption from merchants and consumers (DELL, Wikipedia, Expedia etc)
- first BTC stock is launching maybe in 2014 (mining)
- conferences all over the globe
- mainstream coverage (and alot more pro than in 2013)

when i started with bitcoin in Feb. 2013 none of these things existed.

Not even close to the tipping point.  All of your points can be said for 1994 before the Internet hit mainstream.

tipping point is not equal to mainstream adoption. and when i look back at 1994, internet was at the tipping point too because back then you could not stop the internet from success anymore.

mainstream adoption will happen some years in the future.

Serby

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:33:48 PM

Call me the bad guy.

You said ""A child's toy in the future will put to shame the combined might of all the computers on earth right now"

To which I understood as"something unknown is out there that will be the next big thing"

To which I replied "I am not talking about an Unknown coin or anything that will be the next big thing"

Ok, I'll rephrase the statement, i was not alluding to another altcoin which would destroy btc, but to the processing power of computers in the next decades that would render its algorythme obsolete :"This exponential growth in the form of 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, 32768, 65536, 131072, 262144, 524288, 1048576,"  "Computer processing power will increase 1000+ fold during the next decade, one million fold over the next two decades, and a billion fold in three decades. Considering the current power of our computers, a billion-fold increase in computational power is almost unimaginable".

Just imagine how easy it will be to crack 256-bit key by brute force.
Serby

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:46:49 PM

Don't think too much....

Thank you.

I will take your throwing out insults and attempting to recharacterize our communications in this thread as a signal of your capitulation.  By the way, I am NOT trying to win anything with you, such as a debate - even though we seem to have differing views regarding whether BTC is doom and gloom or NOT.  You assert that it is doom and gloom, and I do NOT.

How can you possibly say something and the exact opposite in the next sentence? It amazes me.

"I will take [...] as a signal of your capitulation"; "I am NOT trying to win anything with you".

Geez! Please don't make me look it up in dictionary for you.

Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 06:50:34 PM

Agreed that reaching mainstream adoption is a consequence of having reached the tipping point, not the indication of reaching the tipping point.

Additionally, I think it's hard to have a real conversation about where the tipping point is in the moment, it's something that's best understood after having gone through it.

I don't think we're close to the tipping point yet. The infrastructure that's been created for it could easily disappear - by the creators, the stakeholders, or the government. Additionally, a significant majority of people may know the world "bitcoin" but don't know, care, or believe in the service/purpose/value of Bitcoin.

More retailers (like Dell), more service providers (like Coinbase), and more advocates (like all of us) are what's required to reach the tipping point...but once we believe we've reached it, we'll realize we're well past the tipping point.

One more thought, big swings in BTC price (up or down) help with awareness, but not always with adoption. If the news reports today "BTC to USD price dipped below $500 for the first time since May today" alot of people will be saying "see, I told you so, it's just a fad..."

leex1528

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:57:50 PM

Ok, I'll rephrase the statement, i was not alluding to another altcoin which would destroy btc, but to the processing power of computers in the next decades that would render its algorythme obsolete :"This exponential growth in the form of 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, 32768, 65536, 131072, 262144, 524288, 1048576,"  "Computer processing power will increase 1000+ fold during the next decade, one million fold over the next two decades, and a billion fold in three decades. Considering the current power of our computers, a billion-fold increase in computational power is almost unimaginable".

Just imagine how easy it will be to crack 256-bit key by brute force.

I gotcha, well yes I think that will happen...but also the algorithm can always be modified...

I personally don't know if BTC will be around in 5 years, I am just enjoying the ride while its around.  It could be around with a modified version it could be taken over.  The point of all these threads about price/speculation seem rather silly though when none of us are what will happen.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 07:09:33 PM

Call me the bad guy.

probably he is NOT getting at anything and he seems liek a troller goofball that does NOT really have anything meaningful or substantive to contribute and is merely just engaging in diversion tactics.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 07:12:56 PM

How can you possibly say something and the exact opposite in the next sentence? It amazes me.

"I will take [...] as a signal of your capitulation"; "I am NOT trying to win anything with you".

O.k.   Go cry somewhere else then.. since you have NOT had anything meaningful to add in approximately your last several posts.

Serby

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 07:18:47 PM

O.k.   Go cry somewhere else then.. since you have NOT had anything meaningful to add in approximately your last several posts.

Look, I'm not taking no orders from you. I'm here to stay, got it?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: