Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:45:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinDesk censors Monero, loses credibility  (Read 4663 times)
Johnny Mnemonic (OP)

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:13:43 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2014, 09:34:14 AM by Johnny Mnemonic

Whether you're a supporter of Monero (or cryptonote in general) or not, I hope that many of you see the importance of (relatively) unbiased journalism. It has become quite apparent that CoinDesk is all but refusing to acknowledge the existence of the tech, despite its recent explosion into the alt scene. CryptoNote is arguably one of the biggest innovations in the crypto space since BitCoin, and yet has hardly received a mention on CoinDesk, nevermind an explanation. Two months ago this lack of reporting seemed innocent and excusable, but now it's getting pretty ridiculous. I've commented on CoinDesk's blatant omissions in several relevant articles and every single time my comments were removed.

This post is not out of concern for Monero, as the currency is doing exceedingly well and will continue to grow whether CoinDesk chooses to acknowlege it or not. It is, however, a huge red flag to anyone who looks to CoinDesk for unbiased news reporting and updates on the general state of the crypto space. They've just lost a ton of respect and credibility.

I highly encourage those of you who use Twitter and care about the issue to call their asses out! @coindesk
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:31:25 AM

Since you comment on the site I presume you are a regular reader (I'm not, although I do occasionally follow a link to the site if it looks interesting).

Do you have any idea what is their motivation for not covering Monero? Do they generally cover other altcoins?

Puberty

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:35:57 AM

What motive would there be to censor references to Monero and the CryptoNote coins?

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅2̲̅0̲̅0̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅2̲̅0̲̅0̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅2̲̅0̲̅0̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  ★★★★★  [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅2̲̅0̲̅0̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Johnny Mnemonic (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:46:41 AM

Since you comment on the site I presume you are a regular reader (I'm not, although I do occasionally follow a link to the site if it looks interesting).

Do you have any idea what is their motivation for not covering Monero? Do they generally cover other altcoins?

I've been a regular reader for a while now, and have enjoyed CoinDesk for their coverage in the alt space. I always thought it was kind of weird how XMR repeatedly failed to come up in relevant articles but always dismissed it as an innocent oversight. I'm not sure what their motivation is. Perhaps the authors are all heavily invested in darkcoin? I only suggest that because there's been quite a bit of darkcoin coverage on CoinDesk.
pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 09:52:22 AM

What? They lose credibility? Its THEIR choice what they want to do with their service
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:53:09 AM

I've been a regular reader for a while now, and have enjoyed CoinDesk for their coverage in the alt space. I always thought it was kind of weird how XMR repeatedly failed to come up in relevant articles but always dismissed it as an innocent oversight. I'm not sure what their motivation is. Perhaps the authors are all heavily invested in darkcoin? I only suggest that because there's been quite a bit of darkcoin coverage on CoinDesk.

Objectively speaking DRK is #5 on coinmarketcap and has a $25m market cap. Monero is currently #13 (though it has been in the top ten on occasion) with a market cap of $6 million, roughly 25% of DRK.

So it is not all that strange that DRK would get much more coverage.

I could certainly come up with reasons it might get covered though (for example the higher rating on CoinGecko), distinctly new and different technology, community focus, etc.

It is interesting that they remove your comments and also interesting that they didn't cover Poloniex switching from LTC to XMR. That seemed significant, and I'm fairly sure Poloniex put out a press release on it.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:57:45 AM

Coins currently immediately above and below XMR on coinmarket cap are blackcoin and XCurrency. Blackcoin has various mentions on coindesk (usually as part of a list along with dogecoin for some reason), but XCurrency has only one. Cloakcoin is right below XC and has been somewhat hot recently, but that's not mentioned either.

So I think it is fairly normal for them to not cover alts below the top 10.

That does not explain removing your comments though.

Johnny Mnemonic (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 10:05:13 AM

What? They lose credibility? Its THEIR choice what they want to do with their service

Sure it's their choice, but biased news sources who intentionally withold information from readers are not credible.
Puberty

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 10:14:29 AM

Perhaps the comments were too enthusiastic about the coin or something? Huh

Johnny Mnemonic (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 10:16:57 AM

Coins currently immediately above and below XMR on coinmarket cap are blackcoin and XCurrency. Blackcoin has various mentions on coindesk (usually as part of a list along with dogecoin for some reason), but XCurrency has only one. Cloakcoin is right below XC and has been somewhat hot recently, but that's not mentioned either.

CryptoNote is HUGE in the alt scene. Right now I count eight different cryptonote related threads in the first page of the bct alt section. It would be pretty tough for someone not to be aware of its existence. Additionally, it's not so much the lack of CN/Monero related articles as much as it's not even mentioned in articles specifically about anonymous tech in the alt scene.  

For example, the most recent article mentions XC, Cloakcoin, Keycoin, and an obscure new anon coin called RobotSexNickels, yet somehow fails to mention Monero, the coin that occupies some 25% of the altcoin discussion on bitcointalk. Gimme a break.
uvt9

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 10:21:20 AM

Nah, coindesk is busy pumping IPO coin:
http://www.coindesk.com/things-alt-mintpal-fallout-viacoins-big-haul-altcoin-kids/
http://www.coindesk.com/peter-todd-joins-viacoin-development-team-chief-scientist/
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 10:23:18 AM

CryptoNote is HUGE in the alt scene. Right now I count eight different cryptonote related threads in the first page of the bct alt section. It would be pretty tough for someone not to be aware of its existence. Additionally, it's not so much the lack of CN/Monero related articles as much as it's not even mentioned in articles specifically about anonymous tech in the alt scene.  

For example, the most recent article mentions XC, Cloakcoin, Keycoin, and an obscure new anon coin called RobotSexNickels, yet somehow fails to mention Monero, the coin that occupies some 25% of the altcoin discussion on bitcointalk. Gimme a break.

I agree there is no logical explanation for mentioning XC, Cloakcoin, etc. and not mentioning Monero.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 10:25:50 AM

Nah, coindesk is busy pumping IPO coin:

Yes that tends to happen a lot. Easier to write a story from a press release than to actually find one.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 10:29:36 AM

Perhaps the comments were too enthusiastic about the coin or something? Huh

what i was thinking maybe.

and they prob don't have any so they won't advertise it lol

when Coindesk was quietly mining with the first batch of Scrypt asics making a fortune *quietly with Doge they were *coincidentally pounding the "news" site with Doge topics
and now since they posted here at the forum they made all this money mining doge and were selling their asics and stopped mining Doge the stories dried up.
one of many parallels.. AUR etc

they load up on coins and spam the site with ad's (stories) for whatever coin they HAVE now..
everybody knows they are biased.. it's common knowledge.. they have little clout as a news outlet because of this.

i don't care about Monero and i think like most of the more popular coins the so called features it has are in reality useless there for rendering it essentially a gimmick.
if Monero was so great and useful i'd have gotten some looooong ago.. but i never have.

edit:
this minute there is 4 Monero topics on page 1 ....i think that says it all LOL
and by the way the trade symbol was a dumb choice.

FUD first & ask questions later™
reRaise

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 10:43:13 AM

I don't know if they had quark but they did make a pretty bold report on it http://www.coindesk.com/all-things-alt-quarks-shaq-cess-blackcoins-pr-pivot-and-dogecoins-victory-lap/

I don't think they only report about Cryptos they hold
Johnny Mnemonic (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 10:47:05 AM

they load up on coins and spam the site with ad's (stories) for whatever coin they HAVE now..
everybody knows they are biased.. it's common knowledge.. they have little clout as a news outlet because of this.

I wasn't aware of this. If it's true, I'm disappointed.

this minute there is 4 Monero topics on page 1 ....i think that says it all LOL

That's more topics than any other alt has on page 1 ... but I don't know what that's supposed to mean. I support Monero but that's not really the point of the topic. The point was to raise awareness of shady behavior from (who I thought was) a reputable news outlet
CryptoGretzky

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 10:49:21 AM

I agree there is no logical explanation for mentioning XC, Cloakcoin, etc. and not mentioning Monero.   I think Coindesk gained a lot of credibility by not mentioning a coin that is not ready.   

It's perfectly normal... Monero don't even have a GUI wallet...  and they have blockchain bloat.   Monero is not ready for prime time yet.

wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 11:27:45 AM

I wrote coindesk a fairly detailed email about Monero about a week ago and have gotten no response.  I guess they have their own agenda.  It would be nice for them to raise awareness about this great technology so people can get on board while its cheap.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 11:31:07 AM

They didn't lose any credibility, what are you talking about? They have every right to ignore Monero if they wanted to do so, it is their website.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
byebyecommie

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 11:45:04 AM

They didn't lose any credibility, what are you talking about? They have every right to ignore Monero if they wanted to do so, it is their website.

Nobody said this was about Monero you fucking twat, it was said numerous times this was about an article for CryptoNote. You brain-dead or what?

Here's the 'about' section of their website, in case you can't figure out where it is:

CoinDesk is the world leader in news, prices and information on bitcoin and other digital currencies.

We cover news and analysis on the trends, price movements, technologies, companies and people in the bitcoin and digital currency world.

Our per-minute Bitcoin Price Index, a derived measure of bitcoin’s value based on an agreed set of criteria, also serves as a point of reference for those involved in the bitcoin industry.

If you’re new to bitcoin, read our straightforward guides on the basics of what bitcoin is, why people use it, where to buy bitcoins and how to spend them. We also explain the basics of bitcoin mining, how to set up a bitcoin miner, and how bitcoin transactions work.

Digital currency is a rapidly evolving industry and we believe one of the biggest developments in internet history in the making.

There are bitcoin exchanges, merchants accepting and promoting bitcoin, investors, traders, startups and developers all contributing to the ecosystem. There are also regulatory bodies all over the world trying to understand more about bitcoin, take a stance on it and assign guidelines to companies trading in or otherwise involved with bitcoin.

We strive to cover news accurately, fairly, objectively and responsibly. Obtaining original comment, corroborating information from other sources, and showcasing original opinion are fundamental to this. View our editorial policy here.

CoinDesk is an independent publication with reporters all over the world. If you’re interested in writing for us, whether as a freelancer or occasional contributor, get in touch or check out our Jobs page.

If you have a question or a story, send us a tip. Contact us for anything else.

And here's their editorial policy:

Editorial mission

We aim to publish top-quality news and information relating to digital currency. We cover a broad range of topics within the cryptocurrency space, including regulatory developments, investment, technological updates and price fluctuations.
Editorial independence

We maintain principles of fairness, accuracy, objectivity and responsible reporting. We uphold principles of excellence in reporting original news and in reviewing and corroborating information from other sources. The editorial team will cover stories both positive and negative with objectivity and integrity without influence of the publisher.

CoinDesk does not accept payment in return for articles or reviews.
Editorial transparency

All editorial team members and writers for CoinDesk disclose their investments and activity in companies associated with digital currency.

To completely ignore something that's absolutely taken the forum by storm seems a far shot from "accurately, fairly, objectively and responsibly" reporting the news. There's no news, not even good or bad. How blind are you? Enjoy being spoon fed your misinformation though and don't forget to piss off!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: