Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:33:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you store >100 Bitcoins?  (Read 42306 times)
dearbesz1219

Activity: 924
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 06:04:41 AM

I would store 5x 20BTC or just 2x 50BTC. There is nothing wrong with keeping everything in one wallet. I prefer to spread it.

Offline, and on atleast 5 different usb sticks.  Grin

Indeed, whatever how big amount you have in bitcoins as long as you know to yourself that your wallet address in your store room it will be safe and secure for sure.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 06:13:57 AM

Paper wallet. (Plastic, Steel, Wood, Whatever.)

Put in bank safe deposit box. Only you can open it, together with the bank employee.

I would probably split the coins into chunks of 50 or 25 or 10.

Yes, that was what I was thinking as I clicked onto this thread.

Unless you are RICH (and so not hurt much by losing them), I would split my hoard of BTC into different wallets, and carefully store them.  Paper wallets are more bother for me, so I would store them on at least three hardware devices.  And at least two "brands" (example: two Ledgers and a Trezor), as these hardware wallet guys always want to update their firmware (which makes me uncomfortable).
croutonhexagon

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 06:23:48 AM

I will Store this amount of Bitcoins in Different Paper wallets For Security Because 100 Btc is a Very Large Amount So I Don't want to Store this amount In Online Wallet because in Online wallets the Risk of Losing passwords, Hackers Involved...
mrkevio

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 06:33:33 AM

I wouldn't store that much money in Bitcoin. Never. I'd exchange it and keep that amount of cash somewhere safe, IN MY HOME. Banks are here to earn money, I don't trust them... In my country the banks state in the agreement that, if the bank will ever fail, ALL the sums AND stored goods will be used to recover the money lost by the bank. So you're basically helping someone who fails by giving all you have. NO.

groll

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 06:46:09 AM

i think i would put it into a hardware wallet most probably

Putting it in a hardware wallet is also risky, since physical hardware can also fluctuate or may be damaged. The best thing to do is create a multiple wallet in different servers and site and also some in physical hardwares. It is best to have a diverse savings than a single item to put your btc into. If you lost one then there are many others that are left.
CoinBreader

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 26, 2016, 07:41:47 AM

what iv done with mine bitcoin (which is way much less )
3 cold storages (1 SSD , HDD, USB stick) 3x amount and 1 paper wallet if i had more than 100 id used more wallets and prolly a RAID-0 cold storage with SSD based disks better safe than sorry !  Cool
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 04:36:51 PM

I wouldn't store that much money in Bitcoin. Never. I'd exchange it and keep that amount of cash somewhere safe, IN MY HOME. Banks are here to earn money, I don't trust them... In my country the banks state in the agreement that, if the bank will ever fail, ALL the sums AND stored goods will be used to recover the money lost by the bank. So you're basically helping someone who fails by giving all you have. NO.

what country?

BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 04:39:46 PM

Putting it in a hardware wallet is also risky, since physical hardware can also fluctuate or may be damaged. The best thing to do is create a multiple wallet in different servers and site and also some in physical hardwares. It is best to have a diverse savings than a single item to put your btc into. If you lost one then there are many others that are left.

Ledger Nano HW.1 guarantees a life span of 500.000 cycles which is equal to 30 years of real life time. The cost is really low and its worth it. It works really well and it hasn't any major flaws so far. I insist that anyone who has more than 20 BTC should hold them in a safe hardware wallet like Ledger or Trezor. If the coins were hacked the only one to blame is the person not holding them like they should be holded when in really high amounts.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 12:05:06 AM

Ledger Nano HW.1 guarantees a life span of 500.000 cycles which is equal to 30 years of real life time. The cost is really low and its worth it. It works really well and it hasn't any major flaws so far. I insist that anyone who has more than 20 BTC should hold them in a safe hardware wallet like Ledger or Trezor. If the coins were hacked the only one to blame is the person not holding them like they should be holded when in really high amounts.

But you don't really want to store all that in one wallet. Though ulnikely, if something happens, you're left without your coins. Many methods should really be done to keep these coins safe (such as by putting them in multiple wallets and splitting them up).
I'm not sure how it is guarenteed for 500,000 cycles and the coins are still prone to things like theft and other elements such as fire (which is always likely with electrical appliances).
Hohenn

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2016, 12:51:36 AM

I'd store it in a web wallet, with a password that's at least 6 characters in length.

Of course I won't do that. I'd probably do this:
Paper wallet. (Plastic, Steel, Wood, Whatever.)

Put in bank safe deposit box. Only you can open it, together with the bank employee.

I would probably split the coins into chunks of 50 or 25 or 10.

I'd do exactly the same, I would try to be really cautious as well. Maybe split it even further.
MyBTT

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 01:37:42 AM

Definitely in 3 Ledger wallets, stored in three different places. You could use a multiig service and make each ledger hold it's own key. That's the safest that I can think of.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
bravehearth0319

Activity: 1022

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 01:54:33 AM

every 5 or 10BTC ... use a new wallet.
i do this.

when you pay ... seller don't know if you have more than 5 or 10 BTC.

Your idea was a good tip of advice, I'll copy your suggestion/idea but instead of 5 bitcoin for every new wallet address I'll make it 10btc each. With that amount I'll save a lot of money.
MyBTT

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 02:01:30 AM

i do this.

Your idea was a good tip of advice, I'll copy your suggestion/idea but instead of 5 bitcoin for every new wallet address I'll make it 10btc each. With that amount I'll save a lot of money.

*sigh* It doesn't cost anything to make a new wallet. What you need is something to secure your wallets. But the best option would just be to secure one wallet extremely securely, as I recommend with a ledger wallet.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
coynedterm

Activity: 882

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 02:11:15 AM

I can't imagining of 100btc as of now I have only 1.456btc in  blockchain wallet. Even if I could earn 100 btc then I would choose to store them in 10 different wallet , so if hacker try to steal from my wallet then he would try all my 10 wallets (it's just my imagination) . And I manage to earn 100btc then I would donate 20btc for welfare of the nation, environment and other causes.

▄▄█████▄▄
         ▄▄███████████▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
   ▄▄███████████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▀██▀       ▀▀████████
███████  ▄████  ███████▄  ███████
███████ █████  ██████████ ███████
███████ ██████████  █████ ███████
███████  ▀███████  ███▀   ███████
████████▄▄        ██   ▄▄████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
         ▀▀███████████▀▀
            ▀▀█████▀▀

.THRIVING CRYPTOCURRENCY..
.MARKET WITH CRYPTOBONDS..

▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

INITIAL COIN OFFERING
SEPTEMBER 30

██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
██████
         ▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄███▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀███████▄
  █████ ███████ █▄▀███████
 ██████ ███████ ███▄▀██████
▐██████ ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
 ██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████
  █████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ████
   ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀

...READ THE....
.WHITEPAPER.

▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████▄
  ███████████████▀▀  █████
 ████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
 ████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
  ████████████████▄▄██████
   ▀████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
MEDIUM
REDDIT
GITHUB
SLACK
drwtsn32

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 02:34:25 AM

It's not that I have 100 BTC but this is my idea if I ever have:

I would not need that big BTC if I don't have a plan to invest it and if I do, of course it's gonna be stored to the site/s I invested into.
So otherwise, I'm gonna withdraw it and keep the cash to myself instead. I can't trust the internet to hold that much money for me.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 05:01:56 AM

i do this.

*sigh* It doesn't cost anything to make a new wallet. What you need is something to secure your wallets. But the best option would just be to secure one wallet extremely securely, as I recommend with a ledger wallet.

maybe he is talking about fees, although it would be ridiculous to think about a tiny fee when you have 100 bitcoin.

also it is possible that he thought about buying a new hardware wallet for keeping each 5 or 10 bitcoin Smiley

anyways, i think for larger amounts of bitcoin you should buy a secure hardware wallet and put your mind at ease (although i am talking about buying one and moving all the 100 to that wallet!)

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
agamasrori

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 05:37:06 AM

Just make more than one wallet. Maybe  you can divide 100 bitcoin to 10 wallets and put 10 bitcoin in each wallet. Don't forget to write you're wallet identifier and the password in a peper or book. Make sure you aren't forget about where do you put you're money.

▄
            ▄███▄
          ▄███████▄
   ▄▄▄    █
█████████
   ███
    ███████████▄
██    ████    ████████▄
      ████    ██████████
  ████    ████▀██████████
  ████    ██▀   ▀█████████▄
      █████       █████████▄
      ███▀         ▀████████
  ██████▀           ▀███████
  █████▀             ▀█████
   ████ █▄▄▄     ▄▄▄█ ████
    ███ ▀███████████▀ ███
     ▀▀█▄ █████████ ▄█▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄▀▀
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
|●  facebook
●  reddit
●  ann thread
|
█ ██
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██

██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
██ █
fravia

Activity: 770

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 02:38:43 PM

Just make more than one wallet. Maybe  you can divide 100 bitcoin to 10 wallets and put 10 bitcoin in each wallet. Don't forget to write you're wallet identifier and the password in a peper or book. Make sure you aren't forget about where do you put you're money.
i would also have a few wallets in my opinion in order for it to be as safe as possible, though i dont have that much money right now

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
johnnyyash

Activity: 334

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 02:50:08 PM

i do this.

Quite encouraging .....will put this in use too..
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 02:56:43 PM

I will send a small portion of it to my main Bitcoin address. Then I will store the rest over into a few other offline address just to be secure.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: