Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:18:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you store >100 Bitcoins?  (Read 42306 times)
Eodguy149

Activity: 578
Merit: 554

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 09:47:31 AM

I would buy a few Casascius coins, a few Trezors, and then a few paper wallets and store them in multiple locations. It's possible to diversify your crypto even if you want to stay in crypto.  Grin

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1498

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 09:52:33 AM

Well, you will not find many people who holds that much bitcoin with them, only a handful exists. However, diversity is the key to safety here. First and foremost thing you need is more than one bitcoin wallet in more than one computer. Secondly, use online accounts for small balances. Use more wallets and keep small amount of bitcoins in each wallet.

If you keep 100 bitcoins in a single wallet, then you are exposed to a huge risk. Hence use as much bitcoin wallets you can in different computers to keep your bitcoins safe and secure from the greedy paws of hackers.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 10:00:37 AM

Of course you need to store it in your cold wallet, or big exchanges,

but it is more dangerous than your local wallet. Website can run away, like mtgox, mintal, cryptsy.

If you already know that exchanges can mess up big time, and are not a safe way of storing coins, then why do you even mention to store it there? Doesn't really make sense. No matter how big or trustworthy an exchange is, offline cold storage where you are the only entity holding the private keys is the only way to go. Better safe than sorry, right?

I would buy a few Casascius coins, a few Trezors, and then a few paper wallets and store them in multiple locations. It's possible to diversify your crypto even if you want to stay in crypto.  Grin

Casascius coins are basically doing the same as what a paper wallet does, but the difference here is that the private key is sticked to something a bit more good looking. Tongue
Eodguy149

Activity: 578
Merit: 554

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 10:42:33 AM

Of course you need to store it in your cold wallet, or big exchanges,

but it is more dangerous than your local wallet. Website can run away, like mtgox, mintal, cryptsy.

If you already know that exchanges can mess up big time, and are not a safe way of storing coins, then why do you even mention to store it there? Doesn't really make sense. No matter how big or trustworthy an exchange is, offline cold storage where you are the only entity holding the private keys is the only way to go. Better safe than sorry, right?

I would buy a few Casascius coins, a few Trezors, and then a few paper wallets and store them in multiple locations. It's possible to diversify your crypto even if you want to stay in crypto.  Grin

Casascius coins are basically doing the same as what a paper wallet does, but the difference here is that the private key is sticked to something a bit more good looking. Tongue

Haha that's definitely true! It is a pretty interesting edge case though since the value doesn't perfectly reflect the amount stored on it. As the price of BTC goes down usually their BTC value will increase, but as BTC goes up, the premium over face value people are willing to pay has tended to go down. I like to think of it as a hedge. Plus they're pretty to look at which is nice!  Grin

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
DevelopFI

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 04:25:12 PM

One hardware wallet like TREZOR that has the majority of my assests and one mobile one with a smaller amount just for daily use.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 06:07:30 PM

I would store my coins in two different paper wallets. Creating a large number of wallets, and dividing the holdings is not a good idea as far as I am concerned. It is difficult to manage so many different wallets, and a large number of addresses mean an increased risk of wallet hacking. BTW I would love to have BTC100 with me... but right now, I am having less than 10% of that amount.
Yutard

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 03:16:54 PM

I would store my coins in two different paper wallets. Creating a large number of wallets, and dividing the holdings is not a good idea as far as I am concerned. It is difficult to manage so many different wallets, and a large number of addresses mean an increased risk of wallet hacking. BTW I would love to have BTC100 with me... but right now, I am having less than 10% of that amount.

10 bitcoin is also a large amount if you can keep it for longer.
AicecreaME

Activity: 2324
Merit: 454

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 04:16:41 PM

I will divide my high amount into many web wallets. because,one day if someone hack your bitcoin wallet, He just stole a part of your money, not all. So you can avoid this by creating some wallets and save your money their.
But you can find a lot of secure web wallet which the possibility of hacking is too low,
so you can rely on them.

I think, you don't need to creat multiple wallets. Blockchain is safe enough to protect your Bitcoins. What is needed is secured your account and maximize your sedurity in order to prevent hacking. I also do turning of emails do when there is a log in attempt, there is no chance that I'm going to approve it since I dom't open my email.

But its more better if we are going to make multiple wallets than just having one if we are going to store bitcoin this big, and also, blockchain is not that safe at all, because it is been already hacked by professional hackers and just stole millions of dollar worth of bitcoin, that is why making more wallets assure you that your bitcoins are safe.

Though you need to save the passwords and username and other important details of your wallet into a place that you only knows, in your Computer or even in your phone, just don't tell anybody where you hid it, especially the private key.
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1213

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 04:27:47 PM

Rather than holding those big amount in just two paper wallets it's good to diversify and place in at least 10 online wallets. Because people at some point if they earn good through day job easily will forget about the paper wallets. So for access anywhere option it's good to diversify and save in online wallets enabling the increased security features.
BTCmax24

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 04:39:23 PM

How about in a single wallet like mycelium, create different HD account and in every account use different default address and divide your bitcoin for each address, is that safe or not? Activate 2FA and masterseed and back up.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 05:07:10 PM

I travel, so I would like to have access to BTC when on the road (never know), but I want security as well.

So I compromise.  I have two web wallets, two wallets on my PCs and three hardware wallet devices (Trezor, Ledger Nano and Digital Bitbox -- that last one I am just starting to learn).  I have one on my mobile, but I don't use it much because it is unpredictable (for me).

One or more hardware wallets is probably best if you plan on cold storage of a significant amount (say, 5 or more) of BTC.
Yuuto

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 06:14:34 AM

Not that I have that many (I wish!), but how would you store >100 Bitcoins? The easy answer is just to say "create 1 offline/cold wallet and put them all in". But what about risk management? IE how do you store a very large value of coins while managing risk against hackers, forgetting passwords, the obvious need for at least 1 hot wallet, portability, easy of use, house fires, EMP bomb's (lol), or if a foreigner had to flee a country while taking no assets etc etc.

I'm looking for real responses and ideas. Please keep the trolling to a minimum Tongue

The obvious thing to do is to diversify. This applies to any risk management plan.

If you invest in several high risk investments but each only with a small amount, then you are likely to get at least returns from one of the investments, instead of getting stuck on say, one really bad investment.

Same with storage of bitcoins, you could store 25% of your coins in paper wallet, 25% in a trezor, 25% in a bank safe with physical bitcoins made by several companies like titan, 5% online exchanges, 5% in an online private key, and 15% in an online wallet service like Coinbase.

Just a demonstration of what you could do, the ratios of funds distribution can obviously be altered to fit your own personal risk profile.
sevendust777

Activity: 806
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2017, 06:25:00 AM

I like this if I have 100 bitcoin Im really rich. I would rather cashout my 50 btc into fiat to enjoy my life, Id like to travel around the world and complete my bucketlist. So, I would like to restore my 50 btc into 5wallets to ensure that it is secured with 2FA for security purposes.

..BYBIT reddit.......                  █▀▀▄▄▄█▀█
            ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄  ▀▀▀
    ▄▄▄ ▄▀▀▀          ▀▀▀▄ ▄▄▄
  ▄▀  ▄▀    ▄▄      ▄▄    ▀▄  ▀▄
  ▀▄ █     ████    ████     █ ▄▀
    █       ▀▀      ▀▀       █
     █     ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀     █
▄▄▄▄  ▀▄                  ▄▀
█▄▄█▀▀████▀█▀▀██▀█▀█▀▀██▀█▀▀▀███▄
████ ▀▄██▀▄█ ▀ █▄▀ █ ▀ █ ██ █████
████ █ █ ███ ▀▄█▀▀▄█ ▀▄█ ██ █████
▀███████████████████████████
█▀▀█
           ▀▄        ▄▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

SPOTS & DERIVATIVES
TRADING
24/7 CUSTOMER
SUPPORT

LAUNCHPAD /
LAUNCHPOOL
NFT
MARKETPLACE

▄█████████████▄
█████████████
█▄███████████
█████████████
████████████████▄
█████▀████▀ ▀ ▀████▄
██████████ ▀▀▀▄████
███████████ ███ ████
██████████▄ ▄ ▄████▀
█████████████████▀
█████████████
██████████▄██
▀█████████████▀

MOBILE APP
FOR IPHONE
& ANDROID
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
MOST RELIABLE
TRADING PLATFORM

GLOBAL // 2020
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄              █
▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▄ ▀▀▄▄          █
▄▀▀█▀▀▀▄▄ ▄ ▄▀▀▀    ▄▀ ▀ ▀  ▀▄▄ ▀▄        █
▀▄ ▐▌▄████████▄▄ ▄ ▄  ▄██▄█▄▀██▄█▄ █       █
▀▀████████████████▄█▄▄██▄▀███████▄█      █
▄▀████████▄▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▀▀▄▀██▀▄████     █
▄██▀▀    ▀▀▀▀███▄     ▐█ ▄▄█▀█████████▄   █
▄█▌              ▀██   █▄▀▀▀ ▐▄██▀▀▀ ▀▀▄▀  █
▀▀                      ▀▀    ▀            █

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Watercooler

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 06:36:47 AM

Buy a hardware wallet to store your precious Bitcoins, I personally have and like the Ledger Nano S very much.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

▓▓▓ BITMIXER.IO ▓▓▓▓▓▓ High Volume Bitcoin MIXER ▓▓▓
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2954
Merit: 598

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 07:20:56 AM

I will simply buy my own hardware wallet and will store all of them there. And also I will try to put some of them on a local exchange and will play that amount with trading. It's not that bad to play with a small amount of bitcoins if you got tons of it to store.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
hajimasan

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 08:03:54 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2017, 11:24:01 AM by hajimasan

edited:
I would simple put in blockchain wallet. well no i use coinbase also because it doesn't have transaction fees and transaction is instant. but for 100 bitcoin i can't take risk as 3rd party have some sort of access to our private key as it is not totally anonymous so i can't take risk with 3rd parllet. blockchainis the solution for me.
With simply wallet to store my bitcoin in my wallet I will made export my private key also and also will make backup to make sure that I can easily access my wallet if any problem comes against my .
And a big thing that I will make that I will never store any backup phrase and private key in any online place .
I will just print out at paper and will put in my locker of bank .
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1498

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 08:14:00 AM

More than 100 bitcoin is a huge amount and never risk keeping all in a single account. I know people will say about offline account because it is considered to be one of the most secure ways to store your bitcoin. However, it is always better to diversify. Never use a single account to store so much bitcoin.

Use a good mix of offline and online accounts. Keep a major portion of your bitcoin in the offline account and keep a minor potion in to two or three online accounts like blockchain or coinbase. This is the only way how you can secure your bitcoins.

crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 08:24:17 AM

Cold wallet,  strictly offline storage. Make a copy of your wallet.dat file on a USB stick and put it in a bank vault.

Hot wallet with 5% of your coins, protected by e-mail, 2FA and secret question.

NEVER send anything from cold wallet to anywhere else besides to the hot wallet. Never use cold wallet for anything else besides communication with hot wallet. Never keep cold wallet on line more then 2 minutes you need to make your transaction.

That should do it.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Luke2939

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Building Wealth through AI and the power of the bl

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 08:38:04 AM

Storing bitcoin (even if it less or more than 100 ) should be done with care, I would recommend anyone to diversify into paper wallet and hard ware wallet and also consider using blockchain.info

Try to keep the bitcoin that you are not planning to spend in paper wallet and hard ware wallet. The bitcoins you plan to invest or trade with, you can consider using the blockchain.info  site or app.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    AI-COIN ICO    Building Wealth Through AI & The Power of BLOCKCHAIN    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
slack    |    Telegram    |    twitter    |    facebook    |    ANN Thread
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    READ THE WHITEPAPER  [ REGISTER TODAY ]    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 09:34:36 AM

Send them to me, I will keep them in a safe place.  PM me for an address to send them to  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: