Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:29:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anonymity in Darkcoins  (Read 1056 times)
henryjames1003 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:50:40 PM

I perceive Darkcoin as anonymity Bitcoin. In Bitcoin everyone can track my addresses or wallets. In Darkcoin - nope. So if i want more anonymity i will try Darkcoin in my transactions. But am i right? Are the Darkcoin truly anonymous? But few years ago everyone thinked that Bitcoin anonymity is pretty enough.

what are the disadvantages of Darkcoin in anonymity aspect? 
arcanum

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:02:45 PM

Darkcoin is based on TOR and TOR is not trully anonymous these days. Monero is better.
uvt9

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:54:17 PM

For new investors who is trying to find out which coin offer better anonymity, my advice is to buy a tiny amount of each coin then test yourself to see which is the best.

Hint: there are some early darkcoin investors think that Monero/CryptoNote offer superior anonymity and they decided to invest in both or even totally jump into Monero.  Roll Eyes
doubleredrolex

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

I Believe

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 09:37:24 AM

Darkcoin is based on TOR and TOR is not trully anonymous these days. Monero is better.

Darkcoin is not based on TOR.  Neutrino is based on TOR...
If you want the real facts, go here www.https://darkcointalk.org

boxuser

Activity: 322

Credits CRD 1st Decentralized Exchange coin

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 10:17:13 AM

hrmm interesting i wonder if Credits CRD will be the ultimate solution to the Anon question, at the moment it looks like it

alz

Activity: 227

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:23:30 PM

Darkcoin has Darksend which is based on this

It offers by far the most resilient blockchain obscuration available currently.

BTC - 1GJ2dWf8WBznTtkuuof3WTBXQAULaqVGYj LTC - LTyCKKCGHJQZwsh5YhyzGeee4womQwChUU DASH - Xp5pq62dgJxmbhawyNtWMKT9Rst8JgNCY7
arcanum

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:34:04 PM

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah34/mystik_al/darkcoin_zps23c84d99.jpeg

Isn't it closed source?
also depending on nodes isnt resilent
alz

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 12:50:11 PM

Isn't it closed source?
also depending on nodes isnt resilent

It is closed source till the current independent code review is completed by Kristov Atlas.
the nodes are randomly selected from a decentralised cloud and unable to snoop or interact in any way while performing their task, also after the imminent RC4 rollout the next stage of developement will use the masternodes to perform ip obfuscation.

see https://darkcointalk.org/threads/development-update-july-30th.1924/  for details

BTC - 1GJ2dWf8WBznTtkuuof3WTBXQAULaqVGYj LTC - LTyCKKCGHJQZwsh5YhyzGeee4womQwChUU DASH - Xp5pq62dgJxmbhawyNtWMKT9Rst8JgNCY7
henryjames1003 (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:13:15 PM

It looks pretty perect and there are no disadvantages? it looks to good to be true
alz

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 02:46:26 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2014, 03:14:00 PM by alz

It looks pretty perect and there are no disadvantages? it looks to good to be true

It works as advertised and there are no blockchain bloating or future scalability issues like with other solutions.

At this point there is a 10DRK limit on the darksend function , this will be lifted with the release of RC4.

the only issue as I see it at this juncture is that from an investors stand point DRK is already relatively expensive.

Once the RC4 release is out merchant adoption will become vital.
however as DRK is forked directly off the BTC main trunk all the merchant APIs are compatible with BTC so its a trivial matter for any merchant currently accepting BTC to implement DRK as a payment option.
As far as I am aware none of the other competing anonymous coins share this API compatibility.

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 05:00:46 PM

If you speaking in terms of being "NSA proof" then I'd say no.  If that was the case the price would most likely be making new all time highs.  From what I can see the work is still in progress but could be closer then many think, or not.
henryjames1003 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 09:17:53 PM

If that was the case the price would most likely be making new all time highs.  From what I can see the work is still in progress but could be closer then many think, or not.

could you explain this? what work and what price? is it the price of the darksend(i'm not drk-user, just researcher) price for one drk?

anyway thank you a lot. it is very useful for me.
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 09:23:36 PM

If you speaking in terms of being "NSA proof" then I'd say no.  If that was the case the price would most likely be making new all time highs.  From what I can see the work is still in progress but could be closer then many think, or not.

This is the problem with the anon race, most of these coins are good enough for most everyday uses. Do you really need NSA-proof anonymity to buy 50 dollars of weed on the internet? Even some of the weakest "anon" coins are more than enough to sew doubt that would prevent an indictment or conviction in a court of law. But to paranoid teenagers they think nothing is good enough.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 09:25:56 PM

If you have watched the development closely it should be after RC4. IP obfuscation will also be added if I'm entirely correct. The final bugs are being squashed right now with the release coming in 'early august' (I'm hoping for next week, but who knows).
hrmm interesting i wonder if Credits CRD will be the ultimate solution to the Anon question, at the moment it looks like it
This is pretty off-topic IMO. He is asking for the anonymity of DRK and does not care about CRD not did he ask about other anonymous coins. Also it is not the ultimate solution, stop trying to misinform people. There is no such thing as an 'ultimate solution'.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 09:30:13 PM

This is the problem with the anon race, most of these coins are good enough for most everyday uses. Do you really need NSA-proof anonymity to buy 50 dollars of weed on the internet? Even some of the weakest "anon" coins are more than enough to sew doubt that would prevent an indictment or conviction in a court of law. But to paranoid teenagers they think nothing is good enough.

Yes, most people is only looking for a coin where normal people like in this forum cant trace back his coins, not to perform an huge illegal act that can attract the nsa. even if you buy things in black markets with bitcoins nobody will tell you anything.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 09:41:01 PM

Yes, most people is only looking for a coin where normal people like in this forum cant trace back his coins, not to perform an huge illegal act that can attract the nsa. even if you buy things in black markets with bitcoins nobody will tell you anything.

In other words, if you mention your address on a forum once, nobody should be able to tell the address balance from the blockchain. That's what anonymity means to normal people. There should be no rich list, and no idea who owns what. If the blockchain reveals the balance of anyone's address then it is not an anonymous cryptocurrency, not even for "normal people".

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: