Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:06:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Misconceptions of Israeli Culture  (Read 6873 times)
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:17:52 PM

Which was also written in 4 different languages.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 04:25:55 PM

is what is going on in gaza, and the conflicts israel has participated in historically, a good message to be sent out to the world ?

is the israeli bombing of gaza "leading a righteous life" ?

are israelis happy with their militarised society, conscription, nuclear weapons, berlin walls, and hatred of those in gaza

is this model of society one bright torch shining a special light of goodness to the world ?

umair127 (OP)

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:53:24 AM

is what is going on in gaza, and the conflicts israel has participated in historically, a good message to be sent out to the world ?

is the israeli bombing of gaza "leading a righteous life" ?

are israelis happy with their militarised society, conscription, nuclear weapons, berlin walls, and hatred of those in gaza

is this model of society one bright torch shining a special light of goodness to the world ?
Technically, what they are doing in Gaza is in line with G-d's message.

In truth, if anybody did what the Tanakh, New Testament, or Quran said to do they would be in prison within a month. G-d commands a lot worse than what the Israelis are doing.

umair127 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:55:51 AM

Like I said in the Key Points About The Jewish Religion thread, I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination. If people were truly religious, and stoned people to death for committing sins, then they themselves would go to prison for a long time.

The Bible has a good message overall, but some of the beliefs and some of the actions committed in the Bible, as well as punishments for sins, are way out-of-line of my moral code.

True, but about 80% were written in Hebrew.

sana8410

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:04:10 AM

Like I said in the Key Points About The Jewish Religion thread, I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination. If people were truly religious, and stoned people to death for committing sins, then they themselves would go to prison for a long time.

The Bible has a good message overall, but some of the beliefs and some of the actions committed in the Bible, as well as punishments for sins, are way out-of-line of my moral code.

Which means there are 20% of the text that may have been misinterpreted. But then again, I have not read the religious text myself, so who's to say its not the least important 20%.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
sana8410

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 11:18:18 AM

My main point in the grand scheme of things is that organized religion is making a mockery of itself when you have groups that, instead of following the teachings of the text, derives their own interpretation of the text to justify actions for their own self interest.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:20:06 AM

Which means there are 20% of the text that may have been misinterpreted. But then again, I have not read the religious text myself, so who's to say its not the least important 20%.
It is very well possible that all of it was misinterpreted. Both the Koran and the bible had been passed along for many generations before it was ever put in writing. If you have ever played "telephone" as a child you would know how much messages can get distorted after getting passed from person to person. 
noviapriani

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:12:49 AM

Historical Criticism.

The historicity of the Book of Genesis is more or less denied, except by the representatives of a strict inspiration theory. Genesis recounts myths and legends. It is generally admitted that the primal story is not historical; but critics vary in ascribing to the stories of the Patriarchs more or less of a historical foundation. For details see the articles under their respective names; here only a summary can be given:

(a) The story of the Creation can not be historically true, for the reasons (1) that there can be no human traditions of these events; (2) its assumption of a creation in six days, with the sequence of events as recounted, contradicts the theories of modern science regarding the formation of the heavenly bodies during vast periods of time, especially that of the earth, its organisms, and its position in the universe. The popular view of Genesis can not be reconciled with modern science. The story is a religio-scientific speculation on the origin of the world, analogous to the creation-myths found among many peoples. The similarities to the Babylonian creation-myth are most numerous and most striking. The extent of its dependence on other myths, the mode of transmission, and the age and history of the tradition and its adaptation are still matters of dispute.

(b) The story of the Garden of Eden is a myth, invented in order to answer certain questions of religion, philosophy, and cultural history. Its origin can not be ascertained, as no parallel to it has so far been found.

(c) The stories of Cain and Abel and the genealogies of the Cainites and Sethites are reminiscences of legends, the historical basis for which can no longer be ascertained. Their historical truth is excluded by the great age assigned to the Sethites, which contradicts all human experience. A parallel is found in the ten antediluvian primal kings of Babylonian chronology, where the figures are considerably greater.

(d) The story of the Flood is a legend that is found among many peoples. It is traced back to a Babylonian prototype, still extant. It is perhaps founded on reminiscences of a great seismic-cyclonic event that actually occurred, but could have been only partial, as a general flood of the whole earth, covering even the highest mountains, is not conceivable.

(e) The genealogy of peoples is a learned attempt to determine genealogically the relation of peoples known to the author, but by no means including the entire human race; this point of view was current in antiquity, although it does not correspond to the actual facts.

(f) The stories of the Patriarchs are national legends. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and his sons are idealized personifications of the people, its tribes, and families; and it can not now be ascertained whether or not these are based on more or less obscure reminiscences of real personages. In any case, these legends furnish no historically definite or even valuable information regarding the primal history of the people of Israel. The whole conception of the descent of one people from one family and one ancestor is unhistorical; for a people originates through the combination of different families. It has also been maintained that the stories of the Patriarchs are pale reflections of mythology or nature-myths.

umair127 (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:15:37 AM

The Book of Genesis is mainly symbolic in nature. The six days of creation could have been billions of years. A day for God is like a thousand years for us or a billion years for us.

And whether or not the Bible is true, a lot of cultures, when speaking about their kings, would create stories about how they talked to the Gods. This is how history was passed down in ancient times. They would make up myths and legends to talk about their civilization's origins and to talk about their kings.

sana8410

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:17:54 AM

The Book of Genesis is mainly symbolic in nature. The six days of creation could have been billions of years. A day for God is like a thousand years for us or a billion years for us.

And whether or not the Bible is true, a lot of cultures, when speaking about their kings, would create stories about how they talked to the Gods. This is how history was passed down in ancient times. They would make up myths and legends to talk about their civilization's origins and to talk about their kings.
Well, that is 100% of religion. I specifically pointed out the myths and legends. So yes, necessarily.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:22:30 AM

Well, that is 100% of religion. I specifically pointed out the myths and legends. So yes, necessarily.
bibles are much more than myths and legends...

there are parables and fables, short stories, tall stories, small stories, folk tales, fairy tales, allegories, sagas, delusion, fabrication, fancy, fantasy, fiction, figment, illusion, invention, imagination and superstition

umair127 (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:28:07 AM

Not necessarily. Some of what King David and King Solomon did in the Bible (Tanakh) is real. Like building temples, having reigns as Kings, making decrees, fighting wars against neighboring tribes. Some of that is historical.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 10:57:51 AM

I like to see the war between Israel and Palestine to be ended but what can I do? Cry Is US supporting Israel? As USis supporting, UN not doing anything? Huh

Now I understand true meaning of Hitler's Words & assure you, he was RIGHT! Cry :
I could have annihilated all the Jews, but I left some of them to let you know why I was Annihilating them.

Chart of death count :

Kindly,
      MZ

umair127 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:10:48 PM

bibles are much more than myths and legends...

there are parables and fables, short stories, tall stories, small stories, folk tales, fairy tales, allegories, sagas, delusion, fabrication, fancy, fantasy, fiction, figment, illusion, invention, imagination and superstition
The Tanakh also has loose stories about the actual life of King David and the other leaders of Judaism. They are not completely real, but there is a grain of truth in the Tanakh about their lives. So it is not complete fiction. Just like 300 the movie is not a complete fabrication either. It is based on truth with some fiction built in.

umair127 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:17:27 PM

I like to see the war between Israel and Palestine to be ended but what can I do? Cry Is US supporting Israel? As USis supporting, UN not doing anything? Huh

Now I understand true meaning of Hitler's Words & assure you, he was RIGHT! Cry :
I could have annihilated all the Jews, but I left some of them to let you know why I was Annihilating them.

Chart of death count :

Kindly,
      MZ
That is your opinion and i respect it.All i can tell you ,is that i don\t know it all, and a member of my family died in holocaust.....this is all i have to say about Hitler and the annihilation of Jews.

umair127 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:22:21 PM

Another misconception of Israeli culture:

The music does not sound like Yiddish Eastern European opera. It actually sounds Middle Eastern. This is what typical Israeli music sounds like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOPiycQvnoQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PES7UqN6uv0

noviapriani

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:26:10 PM

The music does not sound like Yiddish Eastern European opera. It actually sounds Middle Eastern. This is what typical Israeli music sounds like.
uh. no. there are different types of israeli music. you just happened to post mizrahi.

umair127 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:32:12 PM

uh. no. there are different types of israeli music. you just happened to post mizrahi.
Are you Jewish or Israeli by any chance?

noviapriani

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:32:47 PM

My father is Jewish.

umair127 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 01:38:45 PM

My father is Jewish.
Maybe you and your father can help me out with this thread. Besides my Mizrahi music post, what other disagreements do you have with my thread?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: