Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 10:56:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogecoin STILL has the highest number of ACTIVE ADDRESSES of all the altcoins.  (Read 3500 times)
thatguy3 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 12:48:07 PM

Maybe it's people moving their coins to an exchange ready to be dumped?  Cheesy

I would take these stats with a pinch of salt. They are pretty meaningless on their own.

They would be meaningless if they were a snapshot of one day, but they are a consistent trend since 1 week after Dogecoin creation.

Regardless of Dogecoin price in the past, the stats are still the same.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 12:53:58 PM

just keep buying guys  - Doge bot will pump this baby !

lolz.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 03:54:12 PM

(i don't want to read links sorry)

I should have stopped reading right there...

Dogecoin price may continue to fall, but at some point, the demand from you utility keeps it around, and that is the real value of Dogecoin.

Well said and spot on.

You're both right. Dogecoin, in its way, has achieved critical mass for use as a real cryptocurrency. Granted that this critical mass hasn't shown in the price, but there are other factors driving its price down. A helluva lot of supply on the exchanges has to be countered by a helluva lot of demand. There's still enough enough demand to keep DOGE's volume near the top, and its bear market slow rather than sudden.  

The tx count from the blockchain...the blockchain don't lie...

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

bitcoincal

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 04:48:26 PM

The problem with Doge is that it has no apparent functional utility in comparison to the other alts.

So then why are people using it more than the other altcoins?

Because there's a lot of coins to be thrown around.

That's the fun of doge, being able to transact in these large denominations seemingly without worry that you're losing anything.

I use Doge often to exchange because it easy to get and it's highly fungible, that doesn't mean I believe in it's model or future value.

You just listed one of Dogecoin's utilities.

It's current utility (as crypto pocket change) is why many are not stoked about its future. What happens when it becomes easier to transact in smaller denominations of a crypto that's not flooded with a hundred billion coins on the market?

1CuWECCUQwkmQTpJdXd6Ga5tXKoJ5f8tPb
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 04:48:58 PM

go doge  Cool

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 05:42:20 PM

The problem with Doge is that it has no apparent functional utility in comparison to the other alts.

That's the fun of doge, being able to transact in these large denominations seemingly without worry that you're losing anything.

I use Doge often to exchange because it easy to get and it's highly fungible, that doesn't mean I believe in it's model or future value.

It's current utility (as crypto pocket change) is why many are not stoked about its future. What happens when it becomes easier to transact in smaller denominations of a crypto that's not flooded with a hundred billion coins on the market?

It still won't be the same. It can be confusing and seem silly to people to have to deal with BTCs, Bits, mBtcs, satoshis, and etc. while Dogecoin without denomination is a perfect amount for tipping, plus it has already established a good tipping culture on Reddit, Twitter, and Facebook.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 05:47:05 PM

It still won't be the same. It can be confusing and seem silly to people to have to deal with BTCs, Bits, mBtcs, satoshis, and etc. while Dogecoin without denomination is a perfect amount for tipping, plus it has already established a good tipping culture on Reddit, Twitter, and Facebook.

There is an utility in it, but the worth of a crypto currency doesn't need to be in the millions to achive this. This is an inherent problem, leads to a bad store of value and a high dilution through inflation.

This spot for rent.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 06:58:42 PM

Many addresses transacting pennies, when not fraction of pennies.

Still not a sign of recovery
Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:02:32 PM

No doubt Doge has one of the large communities behind it and that's why high number of addresses but sadly even with all these Doge is lagging behind.
aa

Activity: 544

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 07:09:27 PM

I can remove over 15000 DOGE addresses by sending my p2pool payouts to a single address. "Active" addresses doesn't mean shit. It means even less when idiots are tipping five DOGE to each other.

I "removed" over 1500 LTC addresses just a few weeks ago, and I can easily make another 50k LTC addresses by sending 0.001 LTC to 50k different addresses. With 0.001 LTC in each address, they'd likely still have a higher balance than most of those DOGE addresses.

Anyone using the "tons of active addresses means the coin is thriving!" argument has the IQ of what the majority of those addresses have for a balance: about 10.

bitcoincal

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:17:31 PM

The psychological effect of spending large whole amounts over fractional denominations. Yes, I suppose there's that.

1CuWECCUQwkmQTpJdXd6Ga5tXKoJ5f8tPb
thatguy3 (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:30:57 PM

I can remove over 15000 DOGE addresses by sending my p2pool payouts to a single address. "Active" addresses doesn't mean shit. It means even less when idiots are tipping five DOGE to each other.

I "removed" over 1500 LTC addresses just a few weeks ago, and I can easily make another 50k LTC addresses by sending 0.001 LTC to 50k different addresses. With 0.001 LTC in each address, they'd likely still have a higher balance than most of those DOGE addresses.

Anyone using the "tons of active addresses means the coin is thriving!" argument has the IQ of what the majority of those addresses have for a balance: about 10.

First off, tipping happens off of the blockchain, so those addresses would not be included in the link to the data I posted.  Your IQ must not be that high if you couldn't realize that.

You made my point against yourself all on your own.

The active addresses does mean something when you make the assumption that there are people like you in every coin.

I'm sure there are others who make and remove tons of addresses for every coin.  Why would you think that you are special?

Great job wasting money on transaction fees by sending 0.001LTC to 50,000 addresses, must be a really high IQ you have....

Here is another one for you to look over: http://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/sentbyaddress-ltc-doge.html#1y

Number of unique addresses sending coins per day.  Still the highest of all altcoins.

I guess it must just be a botnet making addresses and sending coins at a loss of transaction fees every day since Dogecoin's inception?
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:37:58 PM

Many addresses transacting pennies, when not fraction of pennies.

Still not a sign of recovery

Users have to begin somewhere; people who make transactions of a few pennies today might be the investors of tomorrow.
aa

Activity: 544

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 09:06:48 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2014, 09:19:01 PM by aa

First off, tipping happens off of the blockchain, so those addresses would not be included in the link to the data I posted.  Your IQ must not be that high if you couldn't realize that.

The active addresses does mean something when you make the assumption that there are people like you in every coin.

I'm sure there are others who make and remove tons of addresses for every coin.  Why would you think that you are special?

Great job wasting money on transaction fees by sending 0.001LTC to 50,000 addresses, must be a really high IQ you have....

Here is another one for you to look over: http://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/sentbyaddress-ltc-doge.html#1y

Number of unique addresses sending coins per day.  Still the highest of all altcoins.

I guess it must just be a botnet making addresses and sending coins at a loss of transaction fees every day since Dogecoin's inception?

Dogecoin's tx fees were so low at the beginning (and still are now) that it caused massive bloat in the blockchain (your link proves this). Yes, people were sending extremely worthless tips over the blockchain and paying no fees; you can still send meaningless tips with low to no fee. People still send idiotic tips to each other over the blockchain. Every time one of those moronic tips are sent, a new change address is created with another idiotically small amount of coins in it. I know from experience that most tips on reddit or IRC tip bots are withdrawn within 24 hours, even if it's a meaningless 2 cent tip (like most Dogecoin tips).

You should probably get your head out of your ass.

rikkejohn

Activity: 644

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:29:29 PM

What utility does Doge have? I mean that in terms of real utility, not utility in the sense that it can be used for a number of trivial things.

I'm talking utility in the sense that people are USING it.

Example being: http://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactions-btc-ltc-doge.html#6m

Highest number of transactions of any altcoin since 4 days after creation, and every day since then.  This doesn't even include the large amount of tipping transactions that happen off the blockchain.

People use Dogecoin.

What is REAL utility to you?

Utility is use value, so strictly speaking anything used has utility.

But throwing the word "utility" around is a bit silly. When we use the term, we mean that it has properties that lead to a net gain for society.

Doge's net gain consists of silliness. Yes, I guess that is net gain, but it's a silly net gain.

Net gain for society is EXTREMELY SUBJECTIVE.  Is that your point?

Is charity utility for you?

Is tipping utility for you?

Is the experiment of static block rewards utility for you?

Why does something need to produce a net gain for you to think it has utility?

It needs to produce a net gain because "utility" actually means "useful". So without a gain, there is no utility. I tagged the society bit on because utility and society go hand-in-hand. A whole philosophy was built on it, called Utilitarianism.

And, regarding your other point, a net gain for society can be subjective, but not always. A net gain for society can also be tyranny for minorities.

But anyway, I even doubt Doge has utility. It loses people money and promotes silliness. Neither of these is good.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:38:01 PM

This guy on reddit just found the strength to do that.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2cuj76/after_denying_it_for_too_long_i_decided_it_was/

Who's next?

thatguy3 (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:39:20 PM

First off, tipping happens off of the blockchain, so those addresses would not be included in the link to the data I posted.  Your IQ must not be that high if you couldn't realize that.

I'm sure there are others who make and remove tons of addresses for every coin.  Why would you think that you are special?

Number of unique addresses sending coins per day.  Still the highest of all altcoins.

Dogecoin's tx fees were so low at the beginning (and still are now) that it caused massive bloat in the blockchain (your link proves this). Yes, people were sending extremely worthless tips over the blockchain and paying no fees; you can still send meaningless tips with low to no fee. People still send idiotic tips to each other over the blockchain. Every time one of those moronic tips are sent, a new change address is created with another idiotically small amount of coins in it. I know from experience that most tips on reddit or IRC tip bots are withdrawn within 24 hours, even if it's a meaningless 2 cent tip (like most Dogecoin tips).

How do you KNOW the dogetipbot or IRC users withdraw their coins within 24 hours?  Did you just make that up? You talked to 6 people?

What point are you trying to make?  You just told me that people use dogecoin for tipping.  Why does the amount of coins in each transaction bother you so much?

The average transaction value is ~$200 USD. http://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactionvalue-doge.html#1y
I would love to know the median and mode though.
thatguy3 (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 09:41:13 PM

This guy on reddit just found the strength to do that.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2cuj76/after_denying_it_for_too_long_i_decided_it_was/

Who's next?

This Bitcoiner just joined Dogecoin....

http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/2cvj8f/long_time_bitcoiner_i_saw_the_post_about_the_guy/

Your point?
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 10:02:30 PM

Clearly doesn't understand how P&D's work. He'll learn. Cheesy

thatguy3 (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 10:35:18 PM

While I fully agree Dogecoin was pumped and is still being dumped, it does not have much to do with this thread topic.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: