Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:55:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core address  (Read 5318 times)
qopel (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:21:29 PM

I just downloaded and synced bitcoin Core.

So what address do I use to receive bitcoins?

It doesn't seem to tell me what it is.

When I click request payment, it generates a new address every time.
I don't want a new wallet address for every transaction. I'll never be able to keep track of them all.

I just want one address to use with this wallet. Is that even possible???

What am I doing wrong?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:24:55 PM

I just downloaded and synced bitcoin Core.

So what address do I use to receive bitcoins?

It doesn't seem to tell me what it is.

When I click request payment, it generates a new address every time.
I don't want a new wallet address for every transaction. I'll never be able to keep track of them all.

I just want one address to use with this wallet. Is that even possible???

What am I doing wrong?

It is recommended to use a new address every time - for privacy and for security. You can simply reuse the same receiving address but it is not best practice. Lots of people do it though.

Your Bitcoin Core wallet has already generated a pool of (100) addresses for you to use. Every time you hit "request payment" it shows you another one. 

qopel (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:30:33 PM

It is recommended to use a new address every time - for privacy and for security. You can simply reuse the same receiving address but it is not best practice. Lots of people do it though.

Your Bitcoin Core wallet has already generated a pool of (100) addresses for you to use. Every time you hit "request payment" it shows you another one. 

So if I post an address on a website and multiple people sent bitcoin to it I'll be OK? I'll get all the coin?

100 addresses? That's insane. That's like going to the bank and them giving you 100 checking account numbers.  WTF? I thought it was safe to post and use an address?

Quokka

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:36:01 PM

So if I post an address on a website and multiple people sent bitcoin to it I'll be OK? I'll get all the coin?

100 addresses? That's insane. That's like going to the bank and them giving you 100 checking account numbers.  WTF? I thought it was safe to post and use an address?

Yes, it's fine to use a single address if that's easier. The reason people use multiple addresses, however, is because all Bitcoin transactions are entirely public and recorded and so using a different address for each transaction is a good way to retain privacy.
qopel (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:39:21 PM

OK, but I heard darkcoin is private. Wouldn't that be better to use than bitcoin then?

Or will bitcoin start to use darkcoin technology to be private?
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 10:51:40 PM

OK, but I heard darkcoin is private. Wouldn't that be better to use than bitcoin then?

Or will bitcoin start to use darkcoin technology to be private?

I think it is best for you to begin to do more research on both Bitcoin and Darkcoin before asking questions about being "private" (which is more commonly referred to as anonymity).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
http://wiki.darkcoin.eu/wiki/Main_Page
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 11:01:45 PM

100 addresses? That's insane. That's like going to the bank and them giving you 100 checking account numbers.
No, addresses are not account numbers.

Addresses are single-use payment identifiers.

Using the same one more than once is a security and privacy vulnerability.
qopel (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 11:07:53 PM

100 addresses? That's insane. That's like going to the bank and them giving you 100 checking account numbers.
No, addresses are not account numbers.

Addresses are single-use payment identifiers.

Using the same one more than once is a security and privacy vulnerability.

OK, so how do you get a mass amount of people to donate bitcoins to you securely??
Put out 100 different ads with different addresses?!? Seriously?
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 11:09:22 PM

OK, so how do you get a mass amount of people to donate bitcoins to you securely??
Put out 100 different ads with different addresses?!? Seriously?
That's precisely what stealth addresses are good for.

You're right that it's a travesty that only two clients are interested in incorporating them at the moment.
qopel (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:33:05 AM

That's precisely what stealth addresses are good for.

You're right that it's a travesty that only two clients are interested in incorporating them at the moment.
[/quote]

...and how does one get one of these amazing "stealth addresses"?
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:40:33 AM

...and how does one get one of these amazing "stealth addresses"?
Right now, the only option unfortunately is to use Dark Wallet.

If you really need to receive donations from hundreds of people and stealth addresses are not practical yet (they aren't) then you should set up a web site where donors can go to be given a unique donation address.

Alternately you can add to the privacy pollution by giving out a single static donation address. That's a solution that's easy for you and will cause harm to other people in the future, but lots of other people are doing it...
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:43:05 AM

100 addresses? That's insane. That's like going to the bank and them giving you 100 checking account numbers.  WTF? I thought it was safe to post and use an address?

LOL.

It is safe to post and use a public address anywhere you want to receive bitcoin.

Just use common sense and realize that the blockchain is completely public and people can track  your transactions if they so wished, based on linking your identity to a certain address and following it through other known addresses.

If you are interested in real anonymous coin privacy you should look into Monero - it uses ring signatures and has  anonymous capability right now. Very early stages so it is not user friendly for everyone. Darkcoin is just marketing.

qopel (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:45:58 AM

This stuff is getting waaaay too complicated and insecure for the average user.
I now doubt seriously that bitcoin can become main stream with all the problems with it.

Oh well
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:23:00 AM

[...] I'll never be able to keep track of them all. [...]

You don't need to, the software does it for you.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
qopel (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:13:17 PM

[...] I'll never be able to keep track of them all. [...]

You don't need to, the software does it for you.

The software generates the addresses, but I have to figure out who I give what address to.

With paypal, you just give your e-mail address.

With bitcoin you got some crazy random address and if you get one digit wrong...oh well. All transactions are final.

And the block chain is already at 20gb. What happens when it's 20tb?

and it's so easy to lose your coins. Just lose your password, or have your hard drive blow up.
and people have been able to steal bitcoins.

This will never catch on main stream.
Quokka

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:41:33 PM

Right, completely unlike PayPal, credit cards, or online bank accounts obviously. Every problem you've pointed out has a solution and it doesn't seem like you have much interest in figuring that out.
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 02:36:08 PM

With bitcoin you got some crazy random address and if you get one digit wrong...oh well. All transactions are final.

You can not get one digit (or letter) wrong, the Bitcoin public address has a checksum, if you enter a wrong digit software will notify you before you can send a transaction.
qopel (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 02:42:24 PM

Right, completely unlike PayPal, credit cards, or online bank accounts obviously. Every problem you've pointed out has a solution and it doesn't seem like you have much interest in figuring that out.

I didn't invent BitCoin. I want to use it. Why should I figure it out?
Aren't there enough computer nerds?
atledenin

Activity: 29

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 02:49:01 PM

Rather look at those 100 addresses like you've been given 100 individually coded cheques Smiley
qopel (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 02:50:59 PM

Rather look at those 100 addresses like you've been given 100 individually coded cheques Smiley

I'm trying to receive money, not pay money!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: