Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:19:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core address  (Read 5322 times)
Quokka

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 03:20:15 PM

I didn't invent BitCoin. I want to use it. Why should I figure it out?
Aren't there enough computer nerds?
Because it's your money? I know BitcoinTalk is generally against using web wallets, and for good reason considering the security risks present with a lot of them, but hosting your own wallet is only more secure if you actually know what you're doing with it. If you're not comfortable using Bitcoin Core there are a plethora of web wallets out there. Of course that would require some amount of calculated risk and that's for "computer nerds". I'm personally a big Bitcoin user but I wouldn't go recommending Bitcoin to someone who wasn't willing to put in the time to learn how to use it. Bitcoin is, after all, still considered in beta.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qopel (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 04:06:20 PM

I'm personally a big Bitcoin user but I wouldn't go recommending Bitcoin to someone who wasn't willing to put in the time to learn how to use it. Bitcoin is, after all, still considered in beta.
[/quote]

Tell that to all the Libertarians who insist BitCoin will be the end-all, be-all, of money everywhere.
Quokka

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 04:31:36 PM

Tell that to all the Libertarians who insist BitCoin will be the end-all, be-all, of money everywhere.

Bitcoin is, after all, still considered in beta.

I apologize if new technology isn't user friendly enough for you but I hardly see a reason to disqualify the entire concept.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1562

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 04:55:08 PM

This stuff is getting waaaay too complicated and insecure for the average user.
I now doubt seriously that bitcoin can become main stream with all the problems with it.

Oh well

Let me spell it out for you:

- Pick an address in your wallet

- Send said address to all the people you want to receive money from

- Profit

Don't worry about the privacy aspect of it. If you have to receive money from multiple people you reuse a single address. This is how everyone does it. The anal retentive among us can do multiple addresses but you don't have to be like that.

edit: And, for future reference, don't post in this section of the forums. This is for technical people. Yo should have posted in beginners and help and you would have gotten answers more appropriate for a newbie.
qopel (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 05:27:35 PM

edit: And, for future reference, don't post in this section of the forums. This is for technical people. Yo should have posted in beginners and help and you would have gotten answers more appropriate for a newbie.

My original question was technical. The answers I got sounded like they were from newbies.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 05:43:16 PM

If you have to receive money from multiple people you reuse a single address. This is how everyone does it. The anal retentive among us can do multiple addresses but you don't have to be like that.
If you have toxic waste to dispose of just dump it in the East River. This is how everyone does it. The anal retentive among us can properly dispose of their waste, but you don't have to be like that.

Thanks for proving me right:

Alternately you can add to the privacy pollution by giving out a single static donation address. That's a solution that's easy for you and will cause harm to other people in the future, but lots of other people are doing it...
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1562

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:35:23 PM

If you have to receive money from multiple people you reuse a single address. This is how everyone does it. The anal retentive among us can do multiple addresses but you don't have to be like that.
If you have toxic waste to dispose of just dump it in the East River. This is how everyone does it. The anal retentive among us can properly dispose of their waste, but you don't have to be like that.

Thanks for proving me right:

Alternately you can add to the privacy pollution by giving out a single static donation address. That's a solution that's easy for you and will cause harm to other people in the future, but lots of other people are doing it...

I don't think a newbie should have to worry about this when he's just getting started.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 08:39:19 PM

I don't know about you guys but I personally enjoy giving out a new address for every receiving transaction...so fresh and clean. You also reveal less information about yourself. It's like using a seatbelt, yes you can drive without it but why not take advantage of it?

itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 10:47:23 PM

I don't know about you guys but I personally enjoy giving out a new address for every receiving transaction...so fresh and clean. You also reveal less information about yourself. It's like using a seatbelt, yes you can drive without it but why not take advantage of it?

Exactly. That obsession with single address is so noobish, I remember when I've was first using the wallet was so pissed-off that change was not sent back to sending address, was even trying hard to find out if Bitcoin-QT can be set to do that. Even payed transaction fee to send it all back manually to vanity addy from time to time. Now I understand that default behaviour should not be allowed to be changed, but it took time for me to figure that out.

We seem to be trained to use only one address for some reason, maybe because we don't change street, email addresses, or bank accounts so often, or because it is such a large string. It takes time to get used to the fact that's just another key, used now and never again. I guess every new Bitcoin noob has to learn that himself.
konradp

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 08:56:44 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2014, 12:10:41 PM by konradp

Exactly. That obsession with single address is so noobish, I remember when I've was first using the wallet was so pissed-off that change was not sent back to sending address, was even trying hard to find out if Bitcoin-QT can be set to do that. Even payed transaction fee to send it all back manually to vanity addy from time to time. Now I understand that default behaviour should not be allowed to be changed, but it took time for me to figure that out.

We seem to be trained to use only one address for some reason, maybe because we don't change street, email addresses, or bank accounts so often, or because it is such a large string. It takes time to get used to the fact that's just another key, used now and never again. I guess every new Bitcoin noob has to learn that himself.

I disagree, really a lot of people just *don't care* about being anonymous. In the same moment 99% of members of this forum talk about it. Hence the misunderstanding.  The OP did say nothing about anonymity, he simply wants to receive money. Using many receive addresses scare off beginners. Why not tell them, that "yes - you can use one address, but if you want to improve your anonymity, better use a lot of them?".
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:42:30 PM

100 addresses? That's insane. That's like going to the bank and them giving you 100 checking account numbers.
No, addresses are not account numbers.

Addresses are single-use payment identifiers.

Using the same one more than once is a security and privacy vulnerability.

A privacy vulnerability yes, but that's not always a concern. I don't see how it's a security vulnerability though.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:10:57 PM

I disagree, really a lot of people just *don't care* about being anonymous.
The problem is their actions don't only affect themselves. People with bad habits like address reuse harm, not just their own privacy, but the privacy of anyone else they interact with. It's exactly like pollution.

I don't see how it's a security vulnerability though.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/08/google-confirms-critical-android-crypto-flaw-used-in-5700-bitcoin-heist/

Treating public keys as single-use protects you from a 0 day vulnerabilities in a way that reusing them does not.
konradp

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:16:41 PM

The problem is their actions don't only affect themselves. People with bad habits like address reuse harm, not just their own privacy, but the privacy of anyone else they interact with. It's exactly like pollution.

But this really scare off people. They don't know it, they don't understand it. If we want bitcoin to be more popular we just can't tell them to use hundreds of receiving adresses!
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:20:15 PM

So if I post an address on a website and multiple people sent bitcoin to it I'll be OK? I'll get all the coin?

100 addresses? That's insane. That's like going to the bank and them giving you 100 checking account numbers.  WTF? I thought it was safe to post and use an address?

Yes, it's fine to use a single address if that's easier. The reason people use multiple addresses, however, is because all Bitcoin transactions are entirely public and recorded and so using a different address for each transaction is a good way to retain privacy.

I disagree, really a lot of people just *don't care* about being anonymous. In the same moment 99% of members of this forum talk about it. Hence the misunderstanding.  The OP did say nothing about anonymity, he simply wants to receive money. Using many receive addresses scare off beginners. Why not tell them, that "yes - you can use one address, but if you want to improve your anonymity, better use a lot of them?".

Although many addresses only ends up giving an illusion of privacy, eventually your coins will mix unless you're so rich you don't have to combine them.

Also the privacy issue is huge for companies, I talked to the son of a billionaire about this, and they investigated the use of Bitcoin but concluded it would be too easy for their competitors to watch their monetary movements, in fact they were surprised people were so foolish to use such an open system. That kind of spurred my own research into anonymity systems and that is why I have been advocating for the use of the alt currency Monero.

The user has just one address and can keep track of payments with a payment ID, thus the user does not have to manage many addresses. Under the hood Monero has many one times addresses, but the user never sees this mechanic.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:21:54 PM

But this really scare off people. They don't know it, they don't understand it. If we want bitcoin to be more popular we just can't tell them to use hundreds of receiving adresses!

Monero only gives the user one address. Remember cryptocurrencies are very new, I'm personally very interested in Monero because it solves this particular issue so well.
konradp

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:35:17 PM

All of you are still talking about anonymity, while in the same moment most people don't give a shit about it. They just want a simple way to transfer and receive bitcoin.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:40:18 PM

All of you are still talking about anonymity, while in the same moment most people don't give a shit about it. They just want a simple way to transfer and receive bitcoin.

Read my posts, most people don't care about it, but for companies and rich people to start using it, the public ledger needs to be addressed.

You'll notice that the 95% of the people that don't give a crap about privacy are the 95% poorest too. :p
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 05:40:56 PM

NO.  We are talking about privacy, not anonymity.  They are different.  Address reuse should be discouraged from day one.  If someone does nto want to take the 15 minutes it takes to learn how to properly use Bitcoin then they should not use it.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:50:03 PM

NO.  We are talking about privacy, not anonymity.  They are different.  Address reuse should be discouraged from day one.  If someone does nto want to take the 15 minutes it takes to learn how to properly use Bitcoin then they should not use it.

Perhaps, but what do you do when a competing crypto-coin comes along and solves this user interface issue and makes address reuse happen behind the scenes? For example Monero gives you just one address and that is all, yet the address is anonymous and the money is actually stored in behind the scenes one time addresses. The good thing is we have a GUI on the way and then you can redirect these users that should not use Bitcoin to Monero, because then they don't have to keep making lots of addresses, one address forever, how simple is that?

Smiley
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:18:17 PM

Perhaps, but what do you do when a competing crypto-coin comes along and solves this user interface issue and makes address reuse happen behind the scenes? For example Monero gives you just one address and that is all, yet the address is anonymous and the money is actually stored in behind the scenes one time addresses. The good thing is we have a GUI on the way and then you can redirect these users that should not use Bitcoin to Monero, because then they don't have to keep making lots of addresses, one address forever, how simple is that?

Smiley

It's so simple that it doesn't work, few days ago there was a user who was crying he lost his "temporary transaction key" (read Monero docs to find out what it is) and he can not prove the payment is made to the second party. They don't claim he had not payed, just both sides can't find the transaction if their life depends on it, no matter they know both sending and receiving addresses. Please don't tell me that system is superior.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: