Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:28:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core address  (Read 5322 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:14:58 PM

If we want bitcoin to be more popular we just can't tell them to use hundreds of receiving adresses!
What you do is tell them to use a client that handles that in the background for them.

Users should never need to know or care how many addresses their client is managing for them.

Most of the desktop clients get this right - user clicks "receive bitcoins" then the client selects a new one and returns it. After that they just see a balance without needing to know or care what kinds of scripts are attached to the unspent outputs they control.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:18:24 PM

I just downloaded and synced bitcoin Core.

So what address do I use to receive bitcoins?

It doesn't seem to tell me what it is.

When I click request payment, it generates a new address every time.
I don't want a new wallet address for every transaction. I'll never be able to keep track of them all.

I just want one address to use with this wallet. Is that even possible???

What am I doing wrong?

Judging solely from this post and the questions you're asking, I think it's probably best that you spend a lot more time researching BTC and how it works before using it.   Too many BTC have been lost by users who try to rush into making transactions.  There is no safety net here to catch you if you screw up Smiley
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 08:29:32 PM

All of you are still talking about anonymity, while in the same moment most people don't give a shit about it. They just want a simple way to transfer and receive bitcoin.
NO.  We are talking about privacy, not anonymity.  They are different.  Address reuse should be discouraged from day one.  If someone does nto want to take the 15 minutes it takes to learn how to properly use Bitcoin then they should not use it.

Perhaps, but what do you do when a competing crypto-coin comes along and solves this user interface issue and makes address reuse happen behind the scenes? For example Monero gives you just one address and that is all, yet the address is anonymous and the money is actually stored in behind the scenes one time addresses. The good thing is we have a GUI on the way and then you can redirect these users that should not use Bitcoin to Monero, because then they don't have to keep making lots of addresses, one address forever, how simple is that?

Smiley

It's so simple that it doesn't work, few days ago there was a user who was crying he lost his "temporary transaction key" (read Monero docs to find out what it is) and he can not prove the payment is made to the second party. They don't claim he had not payed, just both sides can't find the transaction if their life depends on it, no matter they know both sending and receiving addresses. Please don't tell me that system is superior.

It works, and it's very easy to tell if someone has paid without the payment ID, you just check to see if the incoming amount is the same. Smiley

Anyway, the official GUI isn't out yet, it soon will be. Once the project has a GUI it'll be really hard to screw up, and again, all you need is a payment ID.

This is exactly like how a bank transfer works now, you send to your money to the other person and put in a customer reference number.

Monero replicates an average user's experience with internet banking far better than Bitcoin. Everyone knows what a customer reference number is, that is exactly how Monero works too.
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:02:33 PM

All of you are still talking about anonymity, while in the same moment most people don't give a shit about it. They just want a simple way to transfer and receive bitcoin.
NO.  We are talking about privacy, not anonymity.  They are different.  Address reuse should be discouraged from day one.  If someone does nto want to take the 15 minutes it takes to learn how to properly use Bitcoin then they should not use it.

Perhaps, but what do you do when a competing crypto-coin comes along and solves this user interface issue and makes address reuse happen behind the scenes? For example Monero gives you just one address and that is all, yet the address is anonymous and the money is actually stored in behind the scenes one time addresses. The good thing is we have a GUI on the way and then you can redirect these users that should not use Bitcoin to Monero, because then they don't have to keep making lots of addresses, one address forever, how simple is that?

Smiley

It's so simple that it doesn't work, few days ago there was a user who was crying he lost his "temporary transaction key" (read Monero docs to find out what it is) and he can not prove the payment is made to the second party. They don't claim he had not payed, just both sides can't find the transaction if their life depends on it, no matter they know both sending and receiving addresses. Please don't tell me that system is superior.

It works, and it's very easy to tell if someone has paid without the payment ID, you just check to see if the incoming amount is the same. Smiley

I see the smylie at the end of your sentence, but I don't think it's funny. The site that received the transaction gets many transactions, not just one, they could never match the amounts. I think it was deposit to some exchange, and that money is lost *forever*. Losing transaction ID == losing the money, when you know both sending and receiving address is not how any money sending system works, let alone traditional banking. Many altcoin fanatics are so delusional in their perceived superiority of their altcoin specifics, it's laughable how they don't want to see the particular system is broken. Bitcoin at least has honest discussions about the problems and BIPs, things like this one could never pass as "nothing happened, move along people" attitude.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:07:53 PM

Smiley

I see the smylie at the end of your sentence, but I don't think it's funny. The site that received the transaction gets many transactions, not just one, they could never match the amounts. I think it was deposit to some exchange, and that money is lost *forever*. Losing transaction ID == losing the money, when you know both sending and receiving address is not how any money sending system works, let alone traditional banking. Many altcoin fanatics are so delusional in their perceived superiority of their altcoin specifics, it's laughable how they don't want to see the particular system is broken. Bitcoin at least has honest discussions about the problems and BIPs, things like this one could never pass as "nothing happened, move along people" attitude.

Both the user and exchange have time and amount, it's quite easy to fix. This is the same as internet banking, you'd never send money without a customer ID to a business, if you do you may be able to fix it with those two variables.

At the end of the day, Monero replicates the traditional banking experience, one account and a reference(id) number to differentiate a user. I'm not following why this is so hard, even on my internet banking there is a warning about sending money without customer reference numbers.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: