Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:38:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chipboards/Breadborads & Developing. Educate me, please.  (Read 2042 times)
NothinG (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 03:46:38 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2012, 03:59:45 AM by NothinG

What I'm looking to know is just information. I'll do some gathering and pricing and see where I need to go from there.

I "think" I'm looking at:
- Breadboard (until I get it all wired out, then moving on to an actual circuit board).
- Resistors (not really sure what I'll need until I get further into the board itself).
- Timer (Looking for a small resistor size-like timer that can count to say 5 seconds and continue, almost like Sleep()).
- Power (How much power would I be looking at)?
...and if not much trouble:
- LCD Screen (nothing bigger than say an old telephone sized. I only want to display a few things. I may go with a bigger ~50x200px if I decide to program more).
-- Program (So, do I need a chip or some-sort? This is the first time I've ever thought about programming on a chipboard)

Some rules so we can stay a little bit on track;
1) Please don't flame (ex. "Dude, you're like so totally in over your head". Yes, I know this. This is for fun and education.)
2) I honestly don't know that much. I've got a friend helping me with some of the hardware, but I'm more of the programmer. He's got a breadboard and some stuff to start the build, but I wanted to try to educate myself before we even get near it.

Okay, so to the fun stuff and my main question;
What do I need to get/do (software, hardware, time..etc) to get started?

Thank you Bitcoin community in advanced. <3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 04:12:54 AM

For a timer, 555.

Have you thought of arduino or other project board?

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
NothinG (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 05:06:48 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2012, 05:18:56 AM by NothinG

I'm using http://www.falstad.com/circuit/ right now to simulate the circuitry while also on Skype Video chat with my friend using his powered breadboard.
He's working on the shocking part of the project, whilst I'm working on a 120 second non-display timer.
So, that is where I am at.

I've got a 1 second timer; just working on a counter that can count down from 120 then after 120 it will send the current on to the next phase.
We are playing with 1.5 volts.

1 second timer

[Edit]: Unless there is an easy way to make a 120 second timer, lol.

NothinG (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 05:36:19 AM

So you’re making a digital clock/event timer to electrocute someone?  You might find this project amusing then: http://electroschematics.com/6577/electronic-lie-detector-circuit/
Yes, sort of.

We are making the project setup so a group of say 5 people are sitting with the electrocution tabs wrapped around their finger have 120 seconds to pick one person to electrocute or the whole group of 5 people gets electrocuted.

NothinG (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 05:41:03 AM

Here is one prebuilt that's cheap: http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/timers/canck002.htm but you will need a 9v battery for it to work. Why are you using 1.5v?
1.5v so we don't hurt each other whilst we test.

We will probably move to 9v during the finalizing stage.

NothinG (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 05:46:43 AM

There are already toys on the market that do variations of this that would be cheaper and easier in the long run unless you just want experience building the thing.

http://www.toptoyexpress.com/family-party-games/shocking-roulette.html
Yeah, I've seen that on TV.
I was more interested in the education rather than buy something, also I wanted the people to choose who gets shocked.
Plus, I wanted to fit up to 8 people. Then, set it up so it's expandable to X-number of groups which can all do the experiment at the same time.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2012, 06:34:03 AM

I think the circuit you will have to search for is the "shock" circuit. How much can you charge up a capacitor without stopping the heart... Of course you could just hook participants up to 120VAC.

You might even consider an electromechanical setup for such a game, a windup timer, light bulbs, go old-skool.

Relevant link.
NothinG (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 07:30:51 AM

I think the circuit you will have to search for is the "shock" circuit. How much can you charge up a capacitor without stopping the heart... Of course you could just hook participants up to 120VAC.
It's for school. The most power we can pull without freaking people out would have to come from a battery. This experiment must also last at least 5 rounds.
We should have enough 9v's, but nothing more than that.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2012, 03:02:17 PM

It's for school. The most power we can pull without freaking people out would have to come from a battery. This experiment must also last at least 5 rounds.
120VAC was a joke, whoosh. Using 9 volt batteries isn't in itself a measure of safety - stun guns run on 9v batteries.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 03:32:36 PM

120VAC was a joke, whoosh. Using 9 volt batteries isn't in itself a measure of safety - stun guns run on 9v batteries.
Heck, those joke lighters and pens that zap you when you try to light them or press their buttons only run on 1.5v batteries. Be careful.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 03:36:23 PM

Heck, those joke lighters and pens that zap you when you try to light them or press their buttons only run on 1.5v batteries. Be careful.
Hey, without the zap how would OP even try to shock people. It's not like touching both the terminals of a 9V ad telling yourself you've been 'shocked' when actually you felt nothing. People are adventurous.  Wink
(Now, rigging a stun gun to the timer chip would make it fun for the players, wouldn't it?  Cheesy)
NothinG (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 03:52:37 PM

(Now, rigging a stun gun to the timer chip would make it fun for the players, wouldn't it?  Cheesy)
Uno Attack: The "Stunning" Edition

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: