Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:11:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scammers Use Bitcoins???  (Read 1563 times)
lolar499 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:43:51 PM

Hello,

I was just wondering: I am planning to buy something of a person online using Bitcoins, but what if he doesn't send me my item?
To me, a Bitcoins-dummy, a Bitcoin wallet seems like some sort of anonymous bank account because you can just fill in a fake name etc.
Now what if I buy something of this person, and he doesn't send the item to me, how can I report him or how can I know who he is? Is there a way I can use his BT address to see who he is?
I'm just very cautious as I don't want to be scammed.

Thank you very much,

Regards

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:53:27 PM

Hello,

I was just wondering: I am planning to buy something of a person online using Bitcoins, but what if he doesn't send me my item?
To me, a Bitcoins-dummy, a Bitcoin wallet seems like some sort of anonymous bank account because you can just fill in a fake name etc.
Now what if I buy something of this person, and he doesn't send the item to me, how can I report him or how can I know who he is? Is there a way I can use his BT address to see who he is?

Thank you very much,

Regards

Yes, lots of scammers use bitcoin.  Lots of scammers also use US dollars, Euros, and Mexican Pesos.  Scammers will use anything that has value to scam people.  It is important for you to protect yourself from being scammed.

If you buy something from someone and you don't have a way to identify that person, then you need to be VERY careful to be certain that they aren't just going to run off with your money.

It is not generally possible to use a bitcoin address to see who someone is unless that person has been careless and used that same bitcoin address elsewhere while revealing their identity.

If you are planning on making the purchase from another bitcointalk.org user, then there are many well trusted members of this forum that have built up a significant reputation for trustworthy and reliable behavior.  Several of these highly trusted members provide an "escrow" service to protect users engaged in transactions with untrusted and untrustworthy individuals.

You can contact any of the escrow providers, and they assist in the transaction.  You will send the bitcoins to the trusted escrow provider, this way the seller knows that you can't simply disappear with the product without paying.  Then the seller will send the product to you.  Once you confirm that you have received the product, you will inform the escrow provider so that they can release the bitcoins to the seller.

By choosing an escrow provider that you and the seller both trust, you can each feel more confident that the transaction will be safe.  A good escrow provider will assist you in identifying potential issues in the transaction.

You can find a ranked list of trusted escrow providers here from the forum here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=276897.0
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:53:55 PM

All transactions are irreversible and there is no personal information attached to Bitcoin addresses.

And yes, there are lots of scammers in bitcoin world, there is a section about scam accusations, and if the users don't send the item to you, will be hard have your bitcoins back.

So use escrow and buy only from trusted sellers
lolar499 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 05:58:17 PM

Thank you, I really like the 'middle man' idea!
Thecoindude

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 06:00:11 PM

But make sure that the 'middle man' escrow is real and not the same person
ReBoRn

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

Bitcoin will survive

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 06:02:02 PM

But make sure that the 'middle man' escrow is real and not the same person
You have "DannyHamilton" one of most reliable and trusty escrow service provider here on this forum

claimore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:25:52 PM

Oh, they do, 24 7.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:27:02 PM

There is not a single scammer on bitcointalk, only honest and friendly guys!

(Sarcasm off: DON'T TRUST ANYONE THAT HAS NOT MORE TO LOSE THAN THE THING YOU SEND HIM!)

This spot for rent.
mStark

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:44:59 PM

So after all there is nothing one can do against scammers but use middle mans? Is there anyway to rather surely identify these kinda sites / shops , services whatever? I was thinking of using one myself but im too afraid of the possible consequences :/
DannyElfman

View Profile
August 09, 2014, 10:46:30 PM

So after all there is nothing one can do against scammers but use middle mans? Is there anyway to rather surely identify these kinda sites / shops , services whatever? I was thinking of using one myself but im too afraid of the possible consequences :/

The best way when using sites is to google feedback for those sites. If there are NO postings on bitcointalk about it, or very controversial feedback, then stay cautious and avoid such firms.

If dealing with persons, don't trust anyone and try to minimize your losses in case of theft (sending in tranches and using escorw)

This spot for rent.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:17:26 AM

My suggestion is to insist that the seller use a trusted escrow. You can find people who provide escrow services right here on the forum. The idea is to use a third-party person who can hold the Bitcoin until the item is in your hands.
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:21:51 AM

Hello,

Thank you very much,

Regards
If this were to happen then you would be out of your money. It is a best practice to only trade with trusted people (people who have done many trades in the past). If you find a deal from someone who is not trusted it would be advisable to use some kind of escrow to protect both you and the seller.

There are a couple of threads that have lists of trusted members who are capable of providing escrow services.

Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 01:18:46 AM

You avoid this the same way you avoid it if you have FIAT currency, establish that the trader is trustworthy and if so proceed with the trade, if you can't deem the person trustworthy then you both have to agree to use an escrow.

A seller accepting paypal is just as likely to suspect you of wanting to refund/scam him as much as you suspect him of scamming you via bitcoins.

Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:30:07 AM

If there is something of value be it money or some other property there will be scammers it is not something which can be stopped unfortunately.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
blumangroup

Activity: 350

'Slow and steady wins the race'

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:25:43 AM

If there is something of value be it money or some other property there will be scammers it is not something which can be stopped unfortunately.
It is much harder to spot scammers with bitcoin then it is scammers with cash fiat. The reason behind this is because bitcoin is much newer and there are a lot of people who are not familiar with bitcoin nor do they 100% understand how it works, so when a scammer says that something specific will happen, the "target" will usually believe them. With cash on the other hand, more or less everyone knows how cash works 100% so it is very difficult for someone to trick a "target" into giving them cash.

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
oceans

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 10:30:10 AM

Scammers most certainly do use bitcoins. If they know they can get hold of something that is very valuable they will attempt to scam you to get what they want. The best way to be is to be very cautious and anyone you are really unsure of stay away from as any kind of scamming will end up in you losing out with no way of getting anything back.
BeeTeeSea

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:34:59 PM

Yes they do, scammers use whatever they can.
elliwilli

Activity: 307

et rich or die tryi

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 01:38:05 PM

Yeah they do, i recommend using an escrow when purchasing anything expensive or if you think the seller could be a scammer.

InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:49:29 PM

I wouldn't admit this, but the crypto world is full of scammers of all types.
Don't trust anyone even if he is an hero member with thousands of posts and a positive trust,
use always the services provided by escrows.
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:08:08 PM

sadly scammers are every where and will not be avoided sadly so we can't say Bitcoin is scammers money because they exist everywhere.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: