Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:30:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikipedia Raises 237 BTC Through Donations In One Week  (Read 3434 times)
pawel7777 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1567

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 08:35:38 AM

Link to the Coinfinance article:

http://coinfinance.com/news/wikipedia-raises-237-btc-through-donations-in-one-week

Last week, The Wikimedia Foundation, owner of Wikipedia online encyclopedia, has announced Wikipedia acceptance of bitcoin as a method of payment for donations.

Now, one week later, Wikipedia gladly announces that it has collected more than $140,000 in bitcoin donations.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 11:01:45 AM

That why fiat currency and electronic way ... will fail.
Because BTC can do every and more ... in a way more quickly and secure !
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 11:49:46 AM

and they took so long to accept it - idiots  Roll Eyes

(and even NOW you will not see btc as a favourite payment option on their donation site  Roll Eyes)

MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:34:36 PM

I don't know why they didn't accept it when the petition was first started they had nothing to lose but everything to gain and this just shows that they didn't have their business heads on.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
sandykho47

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

Knowledge its everything

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:56:57 PM

This prove bitcoin is accepted & actively used by everyone
They should accept it earlier  Grin

I bet some company like wikipedia, will accept bitcoin as donation payment  Smiley

Kemampuanku Tidak semua orang memiliki dan dapat melakukannya . Tidak memakan kaum sendiri . dan mempunyai kode etik yang tidak masuk akal.
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 12:58:54 PM

This prove bitcoin is accepted & actively used by everyone
They should accept it earlier  Grin

I bet some company like wikipedia, will accept bitcoin as donation payment  Smiley

What do you mean? this is about wikipedia accepting donations and raising a lot of Bitcoin in a short period of time.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
ScryptAsic

Activity: 647
Merit: 501

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 12:58:58 PM

And now they are going to dump this 237 BTC on some exchange site and cause the market to drop....
Drendas

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:00:04 PM

Better late than never. Next time I see Jimmy's face on the page header I might actually chip in
Meuh6879
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:42:39 PM

And now they are going to dump this 237 BTC on some exchange site and cause the market to drop....

200 BTC is nothing ... in exchange range.
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:48:19 PM

http://coinfinance.com/news/wikipedia-raises-237-btc-through-donations-in-one-week

Last week, The Wikimedia Foundation, owner of Wikipedia online encyclopedia, has announced Wikipedia acceptance of bitcoin as a method of payment for donations.

Now, one week later, Wikipedia gladly announces that it has collected more than $140,000 in bitcoin donations.

It's a great thing, I hope all the people who use Wikipedia regularly realize that Bitcoin isn't this small niche idea anymore, but rather a very interesting and powerful means of payment and transfer of money. What we still need to do is make sure the actual Wikipedia site of Bitcoin isn't badly written and also in a negative way towards Bitcoin!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Icardi09

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 01:49:06 PM

That why fiat currency and electronic way ... will fail.
Because BTC can do every and more ... in a way more quickly and secure !
well, too tired of using paper money and electronic money in every transaction. need something more secure and makes me not afraid to save huge amounts of money
Meuh6879
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:04:28 PM

afraid is because you don't manage btc wallet like bank account.
in BTC world, many wallet is a safer way to not loose coin.
in BTC world, you must have a small amount in the smartphone ... and the others coins in many other wallet (only backup).

in BTC world, you can "recreate" a big amount of BTC in only 10 minute from 10 alone wallet in cold storage.
in bank, you MUST inform your bank that you want spend a "big amount" of money ... or retire fiat paper money from local bank.
in bank, you can't spend a lot of money in short time (24h for example).
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 02:05:36 PM

Incredible! This is very good news! I just hope that the rate of donations doesn't go down! Of course this has to do because they just accepted Bitcoin, but it shows how people are ready and willing to give their hard-earned BTC to a good cause!

herebittybittybitty

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 03:32:31 PM

Then you should buy when they do.
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:05:23 PM

They're using Coinbase, so they've already “dumped” them and received USD back.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:14:36 PM

That's right. A couple of years ago when the idea was first presented to them they had no way to easily convert them to dollars. They couldn't care less about Bitcoin. They would accept peanuts and beer as a donation if there was a no hassle way to convert them to what they really want - dollars.

Clegg

Activity: 176

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:16:38 PM

I'm not going to donate, but it's a good thing that they've started accepting them. I hope more charaties or projects like this get on board. It's free money at the end of the day.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:34:26 PM

Whether they are dumping them or not isn't the point. The point is that they and many others will see bit coin as a viable way to do business. The next step would be to convince them and other organizations to hold a percentage as well.

Mobius

Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:40:24 PM

That's right. A couple of years ago when the idea was first presented to them they had no way to easily convert them to dollars. They couldn't care less about Bitcoin. They would accept peanuts and beer as a donation if there was a no hassle way to convert them to what they really want - dollars.
The WikkiLeaks founder had said in a news interview a few months ago that if it was not for their investment in BTC several years ago they would likely have not been able to survive. They had purchased several thousand BTC for pennies and sold it near it's highs. The moral of the story is that dollars are not the only thing that can support a foundation.

Activity: 165

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:43:04 PM

I'd rather donate to wikileaks than wikipedia. It's quite an inspiring story if it's true that they survived on bitcoin.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:43:12 PM

Makes you wonder, what would have happend, if wikimedia accepted bitcoins way back and not sold all. Like wikileaks. They'dn't need a fund raiser for years to come Wink
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:46:26 PM

The WikkiLeaks founder had said in a news interview a few months ago that if it was not for their investment in BTC several years ago they would likely have not been able to survive. They had purchased several thousand BTC for pennies and sold it near it's highs. The moral of the story is that dollars are not the only thing that can support a foundation.
[/quote]

Very interesting info, thank you for sharing.
Such testimonies, plus successful Bitcoin donation campaign for Wikipedia, really can help global popularity of bitcoin.
It's obvious that many business owners and merchants are still not aware of the great benefit Bitcoin can bring to their business.
It's good that at least Wikipedia realize that, better sooner than later Smiley

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
Kipsy89

Activity: 280

Relax!

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 04:58:03 PM

That really is a lot. It's so awesome to see that that Wales guy decided to give it a short. This shows that it was the right thing to do! If they continue that way they'll get like... 12'000 BTC over the next year!!!! That's over $7m USD!!! INCREDIBLE!

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:11:11 PM

They state it clearly. They didn't collect 237 btc they collected $140,000. Shows you the mindset.

mercistheman

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:29:51 PM

Now they should reciprocate by promoting the coin... solicit more positive contributions.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 05:34:58 PM

@question authority: Wikimedia needs to sell those coins. Like they need to sell stock donated to them. Even if they'd love to hold them, they can't because of the structure of their foundation. Read it up..
pawel7777 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2014, 05:35:11 PM

They state it clearly. They didn't collect 237 btc they collected $140,000. Shows you the mindset.

Give them time. Let's not expect them to instantly become the bitcoin fanatics.
I'm sure that with the next price spike they'll be reconsidering instant conversion to USD.

That really is a lot. It's so awesome to see that that Wales guy decided to give it a short. This shows that it was the right thing to do! If they continue that way they'll get like... 12'000 BTC over the next year!!!! That's over $7m USD!!! INCREDIBLE!

Yes, that's impressive, but don't think they'll be getting that much every week. Probably lots of bitcoiners decided to reward them for making the right decision.

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:27:06 PM

@question authority: Wikimedia needs to sell those coins. Like they need to sell stock donated to them. Even if they'd love to hold them, they can't because of the structure of their foundation. Read it up..

I don't believe for one second that they bought Bitcoin for pennies and sold it later for a huge profit. If that were true why not just start accepting Bitcoin donations several years ago when they were first approached? Also, where did they exchange them? Do they have an address that can be checked? That's total BS. They finally know an easy way to get cash for them so they accept them now.

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:29:08 PM

Better late than never. Next time I see Jimmy's face on the page header I might actually chip in

Given the exchange rate now, I'm guessing they're kicking themselves for waiting so long.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:32:35 PM

I don't believe for one second that they bought Bitcoin for pennies and sold it later for a huge profit. If that were true why not just start accepting Bitcoin donations several years ago when they were first approached? Also, where did they exchange them? Do they have an address that can be checked? That's total BS. They finally know an easy way to get cash for them so they accept them now.

What are you talking about?

I said they can't hold them. So they need to exchange them immediately. They got 237 BTC through bitpay/coinbase and then received USD from those companies.

Not sure what you are saying..
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:42:44 PM

I said they can't hold them. So they need to exchange them immediately. They got 237 BTC through bitpay/coinbase and then received USD from those companies.

Sorry quoted the wrong person. The guy above said they claim to have bought coins for pennies.

Yeah, I know they need the cash. That was my original statement. They wouldn't care if you gave them peanuts and beer as long as they can get cash for them easily.

wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:52:23 PM

Wikileaks is still a very controversial enterprise and many payment processors does not want anything to do with them. Wikileaks would need to open an account on an exchange and open a bank account to receive the money to. Both the exchange and bank would become magnet for possible regulatory action/investigations that are unrelated to their dealings with wikileaks.

They also tried to start accepting BTC donations in the early days of BTC, but satoshi asked they not accept BTC donations because it would attract too much attention to BTC when BTC was too young.

ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:54:24 PM

Sorry quoted the wrong person. The guy above said they claim to have bought coins for pennies.

Yeah, I know they need the cash. That was my original statement. They wouldn't care if you gave them peanuts and beer as long as they can get cash for them easily.

Oh, sorry for the cunfusion then!
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 06:59:08 PM

Wikileaks is still a very controversial enterprise and many payment processors does not want anything to do with them. Wikileaks would need to open an account on an exchange and open a bank account to receive the money to. Both the exchange and bank would become magnet for possible regulatory action/investigations that are unrelated to their dealings with wikileaks.

They also tried to start accepting BTC donations in the early days of BTC, but satoshi asked they not accept BTC donations because it would attract too much attention to BTC when BTC was too young.

Source?

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:10:41 PM

i hope they end up keeping some of the coins to be used instead of just exchanged.

Source?

the source is buried somehwere here on bitcointalks.. i saw it a while back. maybe i can find again. i don't feel like digging through this rubble, but you can if you want https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3;sa=showPosts;start=220
Ektra

Activity: 137
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 12:58:45 AM

It's good progress from the Bitcoin wikipedia article being deleted in in 2010. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=652.0
Skoupi

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:12:07 AM

And they still have the bitcoin donation option burried somewhere in their site...
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:34:30 AM

And they still have the bitcoin donation option burried somewhere in their site...

That doesn't matter much. So are all the other "alternative" options.
beetcoin

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:36:16 AM

Source?

finally found it.. it was on page 3. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1735.msg26999#msg26999

Basically, bring it on.  Let's encourage Wikileaks to use Bitcoins and I'm willing to face any risk or fallout from that act.
No, don't "bring it on".

The project needs to grow gradually so the software can be strengthened along the way.

I make this appeal to WikiLeaks not to try to use Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is a small beta community in its infancy.  You would not stand to get more than pocket change, and the heat you would bring would likely destroy us at this stage.

here is also his 2nd to last post. i think the wikileaks issue was what sent him away. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2216.msg29280#msg29280
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:38:54 AM

Source?

finally found it.. it was on page 3. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1735.msg26999#msg26999

Basically, bring it on.  Let's encourage Wikileaks to use Bitcoins and I'm willing to face any risk or fallout from that act.
No, don't "bring it on".

The project needs to grow gradually so the software can be strengthened along the way.

I make this appeal to WikiLeaks not to try to use Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is a small beta community in its infancy.  You would not stand to get more than pocket change, and the heat you would bring would likely destroy us at this stage.

Nice find. He was right after all Wink
beetcoin

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:41:00 AM

^ wikileaks went on to accept bitcoin.. and bitcoin is still obviously going strong. so i'd say that despite his genius, satoshi was wrong in this instance. i think he was right to disappear though.
Skoupi

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 01:55:55 AM

How much money did wikipedia make last week? From all the other alternative methods together  Tongue
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:00:14 AM

How much money did wikipedia make last week? From all the other alternative methods together  Tongue

140000*5/4 because the news sites reported about 18% of all donations were BTC in that week.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:00:42 AM

^ wikileaks went on to accept bitcoin.. and bitcoin is still obviously going strong. so i'd say that despite his genius, satoshi was wrong in this instance. i think he was right to disappear though.

But I thought they didn't accept bitcoin until way later?
Skoupi

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:08:13 AM

140000*5/4 because the news sites reported about 18% of all donations were BTC in that week.

I meant methods besides paypal/credit card.
ShakyhandsBTCer

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:09:14 AM

I meant methods besides paypal/credit card.

Oh, no clue. But I read somewhere a while back, that they only do about 5 million USD per year in stock donations, if its any help for you Smiley
beetcoin

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:53:27 AM

wikileaks is not the same as wikimedia/wikipedia though. julian assange is associated with wikileaks. satoshi was against wikileaks accepting btc because it is an organization that functions to expose government secrecy.
Mobius

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:21:10 AM

wikileaks is not the same as wikimedia/wikipedia though. julian assange is associated with wikileaks. satoshi was against wikileaks accepting btc because it is an organization that functions to expose government secrecy.
That was not why satoshi was against wikileaks. He was against wikileaks accepting BTC donations because them doing so would attract a lot of attention to Bitcoin when the bugs were still being worked out. That level of attention would likely result multiple attacks on the network and exploits to be found and exploited and bitcoin to fail.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 05:05:43 AM

Ok, Satoshi was the reason they were not contacted in early 2010 but why didn't they respond to the other attempts? 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=90729.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54988.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=32848.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50158.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1896.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=70105.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51994.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52417.0

beetcoin

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 05:30:16 AM

That was not why satoshi was against wikileaks. He was against wikileaks accepting BTC donations because them doing so would attract a lot of attention to Bitcoin when the bugs were still being worked out. That level of attention would likely result multiple attacks on the network and exploits to be found and exploited and bitcoin to fail.

maybe i could have done a better job explaining. wikileaks exposes government secrets, which is consider a danger to the state. associating bitcoin with them, as satoshi thought, was bad news.

i'm a little bit confused here.. wikimedia/wikipedia is not the same as wikileaks.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 06:54:40 AM

Small correction. Wikileaks didn't purchase the bitcoins. They published a donation address and the bitcoins were donated. I donated a bunch way back.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
movelikejagger

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 10:53:05 AM

That is really great. Good adv for bitcoin. Hope to see such thing on other different resources
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 11:52:47 AM

I'm not going to donate, but it's a good thing that they've started accepting them. I hope more charaties or projects like this get on board. It's free money at the end of the day.

And easy. Free and easy donation coming from a massive community with great potential to help any corporation
Mobius

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:39:43 AM

Small correction. Wikileaks didn't purchase the bitcoins. They published a donation address and the bitcoins were donated. I donated a bunch way back.
I thought for sure that the article said they purchased them for pennies each but it could have been that was the value that they had when they were donated. I am also certain that they did not accept BTC early on, but it is possible they started some time after it was initially suggested.
heybigboy1

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:42:39 AM

This is truly amazing, I'm stunned at what all of us can do together. Smiley
darkphantom934

Activity: 141

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 07:32:19 AM

Last year, I had my wallet ready to donate, but nooo.... they wouldn't accept it.

Grin
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 08:08:15 AM

Late; but better late than never.

They could have raised a lot more if they had started accepting it earlier.
oceans

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 12:28:03 PM

Just goes to show how many people are willing to use bitcoins to make donations and even payments on these kind of sites. It's a shame that wikipedia did not allow donations via bitcoin a while ago as it could have really been beneficial to them accepting a lot sooner. Still it's great to see them accepting now and see that it's working for them.
fran2k

Activity: 784

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 03:16:25 PM

If just they started accepting bitcoin donations as the community repeatedly asked a few years ago ...
Painful Truth

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 03:20:08 PM

If just they started accepting bitcoin donations as the community repeatedly asked a few years ago ...

They'd be sitting on bitcoins worth millions of dollars by now.  Wink
cosix

Activity: 77

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:19:45 PM

how much is coinbase charging Wikipedia for this?
pawel7777 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 05:44:18 PM

how much is coinbase charging Wikipedia for this?

I believe it's zero. They support charities free of charge.

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:59:33 AM

I'd rather donate to wikileaks than wikipedia. It's quite an inspiring story if it's true that they survived on bitcoin.

My thoughts, exactly. Wikileaks stands for a noble cause. On the other hand, Wikipedia is run by a bunch of greedy people who survive on bribes from the organized cabals who control many of its articles (especially in the politics and religion sections).
Sheldor333

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 09:08:24 AM

Glad to hear this. It will surely get some other sites to do the same because of this. It's a great way to help both Wikipedia stay up and get the news of Bitcoin across.

$erver-X

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 09:31:49 AM

btc is becoming very popular as donations and i wish soon it becomes a legal currency and is accepted everywhere....
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 09:57:19 AM

On the other hand, Wikipedia is run by a bunch of greedy people who survive on bribes from the organized cabals who control many of its articles (especially in the politics and religion sections).

Really, I thought with Wikipedia it was free for the public to edit - although moderated to remove useless and incorrect material that hadn't had proper citing. Are you trying to say that the articles are designed to be biased towards specific causes?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 04:14:09 PM

On the other hand, Wikipedia is run by a bunch of greedy people who survive on bribes from the organized cabals who control many of its articles (especially in the politics and religion sections).

Really, I thought with Wikipedia it was free for the public to edit - although moderated to remove useless and incorrect material that hadn't had proper citing. Are you trying to say that the articles are designed to be biased towards specific causes?

You're just figuring this out? You must live in a cave. Much of Wikipedia is massively skewed. Selective omission makes it almost useless. It's a small step above Urban Dictionary.

factor280

Activity: 326

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 04:15:43 PM

Impressive. Showing the power of BTC right here in full force.

Sig Space for Rent! PM Me.
pawel7777 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2014, 04:16:19 PM

My thoughts, exactly. Wikileaks stands for a noble cause. On the other hand, Wikipedia is run by a bunch of greedy people who survive on bribes from the organized cabals who control many of its articles (especially in the politics and religion sections).

Any proof/source of Wikimedia taking a bribes?

They may not be perfect, you can disagree with many entries (especially on sensitive subjects) but there's no question that Wikipedia is a great source of knowledge for the masses.

▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

.PLAY NOW.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:06:50 PM

I believe that as much as I believe the statement that Bitcoin is controlled by the criminals running the Bitcoin Foundation.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:27:07 PM

There's no organized group ruining Wikipedia. That's total bullshit. The average contributor is ruining it. People make Wikipedia subjects because they want to support their own viewpoint. They put enough supporting evidence with citations (which are frequently left unverified) to support their idea and omit anything to the contrary. It's not reviewed and supervised by a university. This makes Wikipedia nothing more that an elaborate story board of half fiction.

jjc326

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:36:10 PM

Wikipedia seems like a great thing to use bitcoins on. They arent like some massive corporation. They don't really run with a lot of overhead and they are completely digital. So it's great to see bitcoins being used for such a good purpose.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:55:34 PM

99% of the Wiki articles are fine. They are neutral. But there is the remaining 1% of the articles (especially in the religion and politics sections), which organized cabals are controlling. Even these articles are free to edit. But if you edit with unfavorable information, then those edits will be removed by the cabal and if you continue editing the page, you will be perma-banned using the most silly excuses. (I knew this because I was one of the most active editors with Wikipedia until 2011).
Ilsk
Legendary

Activity: 833
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 05:59:16 PM

Where can I found the updated data about wikipedia btc donation?
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:02:41 PM

I believe that as much as I believe the statement that Bitcoin is controlled by the criminals running the Bitcoin Foundation.

Hear everything, trust nothing..
One can only suspect, but to know is something else. Unlike wikileaks, wikipedia seams more "socialy acceptable", and for
that reason i believe there are many thing around it not as innocent as they appear.
harles9

Activity: 68

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 06:07:12 PM

I'm guessing they don't have one address to send to, so their information can't be verified.  I wouldn't be surprised if they got less, but are inflating the number to make it seem a more lucrative prospect to other potential donatees.
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 03:09:11 AM

Wiki articles are rarely moderated and only are in the most extreme of extreme examples. Even when they are moderated the moderation is so that only people with older accounts that have successfully edited many other articles over time can edit specific articles. It is almost like they are moderated by the community.

Wiki articles are suppose to be neutral and when they are not they are flagged to be updated.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print