Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:43:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo Mining with the GUI client?  (Read 17998 times)
Bitcoineruk (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 03:50:49 PM

Im really sorry, couldnt find a full guide for this, but is it possible to set up the GUI client to solo mine?

Has anyone got a step by step guide on what to do from start to finish (i.e do i need to have the bitcoin program running?)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 04:08:15 PM

ummm... well...  you just start the GUI client, go up to the menu, and find the little box next to the menu option that says "Generate Bitcoins".

click it.

that said, i have a quad-core AMD Athlon CPU with 4 Gig of RAM - and i get about 10 Mhash/sec when using the Bitcoin client to generate with my CPU.

if you plug this number (my khash/sec): 10,000...

...into the Bitcoin Generation Calculator, here:

http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

...you will note that it would take me, with my pretty decent CPU, an average of about 545 days to generate a block.  that's running 24/7.

don't use your computer right now - use your eyes.  read this forum, start to finish.

good luck.
Bitcoineruk (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 04:17:16 PM

Thanks very much, but i believe its not as simple as that, I dont use my CPU to mine (1090T @ 4.5 ghz under water) as they are useless, I use my 6990.

I believe it goes along the lines of having to boot up the bitcoin program in server mode, then start the gui client, then create a username and password with the solo utilities, then somehow connect the GUI miner to the Bitcoin wallet to download block data so you can solo mine.

I know i can just click generate bitcoins in that respect Smiley

Many thanks for the reply however!
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 04:40:02 PM

Thanks very much, but i believe its not as simple as that, I dont use my CPU to mine (1090T @ 4.5 ghz under water) as they are useless, I use my 6990.

I believe it goes along the lines of having to boot up the bitcoin program in server mode, then start the gui client, then create a username and password with the solo utilities, then somehow connect the GUI miner to the Bitcoin wallet to download block data so you can solo mine.

I know i can just click generate bitcoins in that respect Smiley

Many thanks for the reply however!

ah.  i had no idea, from the information in your first post.

ok - you have two program choices where bitcoin is concerned:  'bitcoin' and 'bitcoind'.

they are essentially the same, and you may only run one of them at a time.  they both use the same bitcoin.conf file to configure options.  the only difference between them is that bitcoind runs the daemon by default (hence the 'd') and bitcoin doesn't (and must be started with the daemon option to provide that functionality.

you might find this page useful:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Bitcoin.conf_Configuration_File

if you're solo mining, you need a bitcoin.conf with just two lines: rpcuser=, and rpcpassword=.  and then you start your miner using those same credentials.  was that what you were asking?
Bitcoineruk (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 05:38:17 PM

Yep thats the one!

My first post sucked, i just read it back! - Many thanks for helping me.

Ok so now i have what I think is working! this is in the gui summary tab now

Running command: poclbm.exe --user=**********--pass=******* -o localhost -p 8332 -d0 --verbose -v -w 128
Listener for "Default" started
Running command: poclbm.exe --user=**********--pass=******* -o localhost -p 8332 -d1 --verbose -v -w 128
Listener for "gpu2" started

Does that look correct? is there any way of telling its working?
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 06:09:48 PM

Yep thats the one!

My first post sucked, i just read it back! - Many thanks for helping me.

Ok so now i have what I think is working! this is in the gui summary tab now

Running command: poclbm.exe --user=**********--pass=******* -o localhost -p 8332 -d0 --verbose -v -w 128
Listener for "Default" started
Running command: poclbm.exe --user=**********--pass=******* -o localhost -p 8332 -d1 --verbose -v -w 128
Listener for "gpu2" started

Does that look correct? is there any way of telling its working?

i'm not sure - don't use poclbm.  but it looks ok.  i've been using DiabloMiner and playing with Hashkill (i'm waiting for cache-flushing with that - it's fast).  with those you don't need to specify the port.  or the localhost either, at least for Diablo.  and they both find all your GPUs and concatenate them - no need for a command line call for each card (the -d <device> option).

if you're getting a Mhash/sec readout at the bottom of your screen, it's probably working.
Bitcoineruk (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 06:15:07 PM

Brill, yea, seeing my 800mh/s Smiley

Lets just hope then now!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: