Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:18:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt Gox thinks it's the Fed. Freezes acc based on "tainted" coins. (unlocked now)  (Read 17856 times)
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 04:43:10 PM

Well, call it the Bitcoin Fire Department then, its exactly equally as good a name.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 04:44:35 PM

Well, call it the Bitcoin Fire Department then, its exactly equally as good a name.
I like that name actually! Grin Maybe you should contact SomeoneWeird and tell him. Tongue

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 04:44:57 PM

Hey MPOE-PR, wanna found the first Bitcoin Fire Department?

MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 05:00:31 PM

Hey MPOE-PR, wanna found the first Bitcoin Fire Department?

I think I'm going to save myself for the First Bitcoin Wahmbulance Center.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:55:16 AM

Bitcoin is so doomed long term. Oh well, there goes my time and money investment.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 11:23:42 AM

Bitcoin is so doomed long term. Oh well, there goes my time and money investment.

Bitcoin isn't doomed if it's used only as a debt settlement utility.

Think about it like this: You still use Paypal, but when it comes time to cash out, instead of getting money into your bank account, you withdraw it as Bitcoins. That's the ultimate direction of Bitcoin as I see it.

Right now people have the misconception that it should be used a large-scale micropayments solution across the world and that's it's highly scalable.  Roll Eyes

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 11:49:15 AM

Why would Bitcoin be doomed? You forgot this is a free market? You forgot you can choose any exchange of your liking?

People are acting like MtGox is some kind of central bank while they themselves choose to use it, and then they bitch about it and proclaim the end of Bitcoin instead of boycotting it.

The fuck is wrong with you?
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 12:44:43 PM

Why would Bitcoin be doomed? You forgot this is a free market? You forgot you can choose any exchange of your liking?

People are acting like MtGox is some kind of central bank while they themselves choose to use it, and then they bitch about it and proclaim the end of Bitcoin instead of boycotting it.

I don't do any business with MtGox. However, the future of bitcoin doesn't depend exclusively on me.

It's not a matter of individual decisions. As a means of exchange it depends on group dynamics, and the truth of the matter is that MtGox has a stronghold powerful enough to steer practices and usage. And they're doing it.

Ever heard of the Tragedy of the Commons?

This is looking pretty bad IMO. Just my personal judgement in the matter. Looks like enough people just can't properly value the importance of fungibility. Enough for the whole project to implode by the looks of it.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 12:44:50 PM

Have you seen his other posts? As a fellow frothing retard, I don't typically judge people on their other claims in other threads, but Jesus. I'd be surprised to see that he thought Bitcoin was useful at all.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 12:46:18 PM

Have you seen his other posts? As a fellow frothing retard, I don't typically judge people on their other claims in other threads, but Jesus. He's got a hard-on for Bitcoin and MtGox bashing.

Grow up.

I'm just giving my honest opinion in the matter.

I think MtGox is shady as fuck and an outright scam. Actually, so do you IIRC. So what?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 12:47:00 PM

Have you seen his other posts? As a fellow frothing retard, I don't typically judge people on their other claims in other threads, but Jesus. He's got a hard-on for Bitcoin and MtGox bashing.

Grow up.

I'm just giving my honest opinion in the matter.

I think MtGox is shady as fuck and an outright scam. Actually, so do you IIRC. So what?

Hehe. I had you confused with another more verbal person in that thread, I edited my OP immediately after realizing. And yes, I think MtGox IS Bitcoin at this point and it's fucking retarded and the definition of irony when a large group of spergy libertards create and support a decentralized currency only to quickly support the first centralization effort.

People will use it because it has more volume/traffic and maybe some conveniences. This is a social pattern and I really wish the retards in Bitcoin would wake up and realize that they can't change social norms by developing a new product. They'd need to develop a new society entirely.

The future of Bitcoin is more than likely indebted to the same rich asshole scumbag deceptive dictators that they work so hard to get away from. Oh the irony.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 03:14:12 PM

It's not a matter of individual decisions. As a means of exchange it depends on group dynamics, and the truth of the matter is that MtGox has a stronghold powerful enough to steer practices and usage. And they're doing it.

This is a joke at best. MtGox is about as important for bitcoin from this perspective as James Bowman Lindsay was for the electric industry. Ever even heard of him? Didn't think so.

MtGox has the simple choice to obey right now or disappear in a few years at a maximum. The impact of either choice to bitcoin itself is comparable to the impact of the Wright character on Global Warming. He gets agitated often and flails arms a lot but how much heat is that going to generate?

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 04:24:43 PM

This is a joke at best. MtGox is about as important for bitcoin from this perspective as James Bowman Lindsay was for the electric industry. Ever even heard of him? Didn't think so.

MtGox has the simple choice to obey right now or disappear in a few years at a maximum. The impact of either choice to bitcoin itself is comparable to the impact of the Wright character on Global Warming. He gets agitated often and flails arms a lot but how much heat is that going to generate?

Your analogy is flawed.

MtGox won't kill cryptocurrencies, but it can kill this "brand" for good as things stand right now. A couple more massive fiascos and very few people will trust in the system. Don't underestimate the importance of perception.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 04:24:59 PM

I generate quite a lot of heat but it's usual local warming that leads to localized wetness.

556j (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 04:57:00 AM

update

Hello,

We have had the AML requirement lifted from your account as Bitcoinica no longer wishes to pursue this case. Our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

I transfered the money through bitinstant without issue. Updating the first post as well so everyone can see but leaving the thread.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 01:56:46 PM

update

Hello,

We have had the AML requirement lifted from your account as Bitcoinica no longer wishes to pursue this case. Our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

I transfered the money through bitinstant without issue. Updating the first post as well so everyone can see but leaving the thread.

Good thing Zhoutong decided to drop it, or you'd be fucked.

I hope you don't do any more business with MtGox... "scam me once, shame on you."

MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 05:12:18 PM

Don't underestimate the importance of perception.

I think to some degree you overestimate the importance of your perceptions. I guess time will tell either way.

You might be a little... off in your perceptions of what exactly happened there.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 07:15:13 PM

Don't underestimate the importance of perception.

I think to some degree you overestimate the importance of your perceptions. I guess time will tell either way.

You might be a little... off in your perceptions of what exactly happened there.

Wasn't talking about my perceptions, in case you didn't notice.

zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2012, 08:12:20 PM

I'm happy that Mt. Gox has done some serious jobs to protect the benefits of their partners, and risk being misunderstood. They have been actively contacting us throughout the issue.

I apologize for those who accounts were placed on hold for AML because of their protection. We should have told them earlier our attitude that consumers and merchants shouldn't be responsible for tainted coins. We even accept the tainted coins ourselves.

At the same time, I really appreciate what Mt. Gox team has done.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 08:14:16 PM

I'm happy that Mt. Gox has done some serious jobs to protect the benefits of their partners, and risk being misunderstood. They have been actively contacting us throughout the issue.

I apologize for those who accounts were placed on hold for AML because of their protection. We should have told them earlier our attitude that consumers and merchants shouldn't be responsible for tainted coins. We even accept the tainted coins ourselves.

At the same time, I really appreciate what Mt. Gox team has done.

just WOW and +1
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: