Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:44:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is changing avatars currently not possible?  (Read 1820 times)
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 08:59:17 PM

Is it to show who the very early adopters are or something?
I like the fact that you can't change it but the fact that you can't set it sucks.

I wish I could make an avatar.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:01:10 PM

I like the fact that you can't change it but the fact that you can't set it sucks.

There was a problem awhile back with the forum getting hacked through the avatars, I believe.   There is a thread about this somewhere...I'm sure someone can link it.

Avatars may come back in the future... (I hope).   It is easier to remember people by their avatar than their screen name
e1ghtSpace (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 09:04:54 PM

There was a problem awhile back with the forum getting hacked through the avatars, I believe.   There is a thread about this somewhere...I'm sure someone can link it.

Avatars may come back in the future... (I hope).   It is easier to remember people by their avatar than their screen name
Well that's a shame. Back then could anyone have an avatar like newbies or was limited to full member and above or something?
ForgottenPassword

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 09:15:24 PM

Well that's a shame. Back then could anyone have an avatar like newbies or was limited to full member and above or something?

Anyone.

Avatars won't come back until the new forum software is released. That'll be around a year or so.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 11:18:41 PM

To be honest, I don't recall.   I think avatars may have been blocked before I even became a member here...
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2014, 11:46:01 PM

There was an exploit that was done through avatars, that's why you can't add or change if you do not currently have one before the exploit happened.

johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:12:11 AM

Anyone.

Avatars won't come back until the new forum software is released. That'll be around a year or so.

a year from april on. so next year april is release time.
Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 11:16:52 AM

To quote myself from the last time this question came up:

Any progress?

Please turn off this forum! The avatars are the only advantage over a mailing list. This is bitter but true. Give something better a chance. Give up!

I'm pretty sure that avatars will be disabled until at least the new forum is out and being used - as theymos has stated it was removed due to an exploit made possible by avatars and though I believe the exploit has been patched he is not keen on restoring the functionality.

From what I've heard, pretty much. The exploit involved uploading a php script instead of an image into an executable directory, then using it to put some (slightly) malicious Javascript into the forum's MOTD so that it ran on every page. I followed the troubleshooting and analysis through IRC while it was being fixed immediately after the hack, but it seems that avatars may be disabled for a while anyway.

Though the exploit used has been patched, it's been long enough that I suspect new avatars may remain disabled until the new forum software is put into place, but those who had them before the hack like me were able to keep them (though we can't change our avatars either).

Yes, that's two quotes at the top; I'd tell you to please use the search function next time (if you actually want to know and aren't just trolling, anyway; spelling and grammar are important!), but now I kind of want to see how far down the chain I can get before I have to start snipping them for readability. It's only been five days since the last one.

Three quotes, whee. The stricken through section was directed at the OP of that quote's thread, but is no longer relevant here. This or a similar note should probably be stickied somewhere (either here or possibly in the Beginners forum, though it is forum-related so Meta is a fitting place for it), since it gets asked so often.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
C.Steven

Activity: 633

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:01:32 AM

Before we can see Avatars it will be around 1 year or more than that because Avatars will not be back until the new forum software is released.

No no, the new forum should be ready in just 6 months or so, if everything go as planned. Smiley

When will the software be finished?

About one year from now.

semizias

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:33:09 AM

So this forum is getting a makeover? Cool, I look forward to it.
I don't get why they didn't just fix the exploit, I'm a programmer and it can't be that hard to fix -.-
bbxx

Activity: 728

cryptoshark

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 08:56:31 AM

better leave avatars only for users registered long time ago...
Coef

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

Exhausted

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 11:38:48 AM

I don't get why they didn't just fix the exploit, I'm a programmer and it can't be that hard to fix -.-

Yup.
No idea at all...

What about making it works similarly to the sig space, ie. less restriction for higher rank?
Like, if you are newbie, you can't have avatar; if you are jr member, you can pick an avatar from a default list; if you are a member, you can upload your own avatar, etc.

boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 12:48:38 PM

Yup.
No idea at all...

What about making it works similarly to the sig space, ie. less restriction for higher rank?
Like, if you are newbie, you can't have avatar; if you are jr member, you can pick an avatar from a default list; if you are a member, you can upload your own avatar, etc.

Apparently there was a technical problem about avatars that could be exploited

At the moment some people buy old newbies accounts created to be able to have an avatars; when avatars will come back they will be worthless; maybe we'll be able to advertise through avatars to get an additional revenue from our posts Grin

jjc326

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 08:15:37 PM

Yup.
No idea at all...

Apparently there was a technical problem about avatars that could be exploited

At the moment some people buy old newbies accounts created to be able to have an avatars; when avatars will come back they will be worthless; maybe we'll be able to advertise through avatars to get an additional revenue from our posts Grin

I have seen this too, people paying outrageous sums to buy an account which has access to avatars.  No offense but if it was due to an exploit, from years ago, it seems like laziness that it wasn't fixed yet, right?
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 10:07:37 PM

Don't see why they need to commission brand new software. There's tons of options out there that can be had now.
Shogen
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:07:18 AM

Don't see why they need to commission brand new software. There's tons of options out there that can be had now.

If I understand it correctly, the goal is not to have a new software for bitcointalk only, but a new open source forum software for everyone in the world to use.

Why do you think we needed to spend so much for software when there are free or much cheaper option available?

The most popular forum software is:
- Old.
- Written in PHP, which sucks.
- Written insecurely and messily.
- Difficult to modify, especially safely.
- Not much more featureful than SMF, if at all.

There are a handful of newer forum software packages which solve some of those problems, but all of them are very sparse in features.

The goal of this software project is to create new, open source forum software which will compete with SMF, phpBB, etc.

What special features will the forum have?

This isn't completely defined yet. It'll have almost all features that we have now. A main goal will be improving filtering and data presentation so that users can more easily manage the flood of posts both board-wide and within threads, while simultaneously reducing the need for centralized moderation.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: