Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:58:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will an altcoin ever reach $1 billion market cap again?
Yes - 35 (77.8%)
No - 3 (6.7%)
Maybe - 4 (8.9%)
I don't know - 0 (0%)
Can you repeat the question? - 3 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will an altcoin ever reach $1 billion market cap again?  (Read 3582 times)
Bizmark13 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:17:49 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2014, 01:40:41 PM by Bizmark13

So far, Litecoin has been the only altcoin to exceed $1 billion market cap and even then, it only just barely managed to reach it and the time it spent above $1 billion was very brief. Now it's market cap has fallen, and continues to fall.

Do you think an altcoin will ever reach $1 billion market cap again? And which altcoin do you think it would be?

I personally think Litecoin has a shot at reaching and surpassing its ATH but only if Bitcoin undergoes another massive price spike. When the price of Bitcoin spikes, altcoin prices tend to follow. I believe Nxt also has a shot at reaching $1 billion too. Its growth also depends on Bitcoin but to a lesser extent than that of Litecoin since it isn't really perceived as being Bitcoin's little brother. I won't comment on Ripple since I don't know much about it.

What do you think?
RW-Stott

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:43:01 PM

XCurrency
Wulfcastle

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 01:47:18 PM

Auroracoin reached the $1 Billion Market Cap (artificially inflated) for around three quarters of a day before its mega dump.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 01:47:56 PM

These threads are really ridiculous. This is pure speculation and the majority of answers will be 'randomaltcoin' that the person is holding.
You will get very few objective opinions on this. I wouldn't believe in NXT and Ripple is bad anyways.
Litecoin besides being the first successful altcoin has no features, so we will see if that is enough for it to survive/stay first.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Txslady

Activity: 244
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:52:13 PM

Check out Saffroncoin (SFR), Yes I have some mined coins but nothing major and I am not tied to the coin in any other way.  I think it could be the next big coin.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=586320.0
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 01:53:32 PM

So far, Litecoin has been the only altcoin to exceed $1 billion market cap and even then, it only just barely managed to reach it and the time it spent above $1 billion was very brief. Now it's market cap has fallen, and continues to fall.

Do you think an altcoin will ever reach $1 billion market cap again? And which altcoin do you think it would be?

I personally think Litecoin has a shot at reaching and surpassing its ATH but only if Bitcoin undergoes another massive price spike. When the price of Bitcoin spikes, altcoin prices tend to follow. I believe Nxt also has a shot at reaching $1 billion too. Its growth also depends on Bitcoin but to a lesser extent than that of Litecoin since it isn't really perceived as being Bitcoin's little brother. I won't comment on Ripple since I don't know much about it.

What do you think?

Stellar will reach 1B market cap by 2020 because there will be 1B+ stellar in circulation and it is quiet expected that 1 stellar will equal 1 USD.

Katarina

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:09:20 PM

Stellar is premined and have no intrinsic value, so I don't think so..
Wulfcastle

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 02:13:48 PM

Check out Saffroncoin (SFR), Yes I have some mined coins but nothing major and I am not tied to the coin in any other way.  I think it could be the next big coin.  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=586320.0

Here take a Walter White facepalm :

Bizmark13 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:23:40 PM

Auroracoin reached the $1 Billion Market Cap (artificially inflated) for around three quarters of a day before its mega dump.

Interesting. I didn't know that. I am guessing it was when the coin was being traded but before the airdrop right? Having an enormous premine would do that although I guess Auroracoin's premine was for legit reasons. Similar stuff happens with heavily premined low volume coins all the time.

Anyway, it's interesting to see the votes so far. 8 people voted "Yes" and 1 person voted "Maybe". No votes for "No" yet. Since the poll is anonymous, there would be no point in someone hyping a coin that they hold so it seems that most people here genuinely do believe that an altcoin other than Litecoin will surpass the $1 billion barrier. My guess is that Bitcoin's market cap will probably be in the tens of billions if/when this happens.
keyscore44
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:38:20 PM

Maybe in the future, can't see it happening any time soon in the current slump. Not nice seeing my portfolio losing value everyday  Angry  Cheesy

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
Bizmark13 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:44:58 PM

Maybe in the future, can't see it happening any time soon in the current slump. Not nice seeing my portfolio losing value everyday  Angry  Cheesy

Yeah, it's crazy how prices have dropped today. Peercoin is down by 12 percent. Litecoin by almost a fifth. Bitcoin is down as well. All in the space of 24 hours. And if you look at the long term charts, it looks just as bad. Sad
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:54:58 PM

yes, off course.

It's just a matter of time!
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:55:29 PM

I think that it'll happen again during the next major bitcoin run-up (which also implies that I think there will be another major bitcoin run-up). Oddly enough though, I don't think only Litecoin has a chance but probably one of the 2014 coins with a major base and significant innovation.

Not sure which one though...

After all, if BTC runs up to let's say a 100B market cap, the parity and trading level doesn't have to be significantly high in order for another coin to hit a 1B market cap. At that level, LTC can trade at half of its current BTC conversion value and still hit the 1B mark. And DRK (just using it since it's currently 5th in market cap), would have to go up to .0225 to put it at a 1B mark, but something like that isn't as far-fetched as other things that I can think of.
vuduchyld

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 02:57:05 PM

"ever" is a long time.  But I don't suspect it will be soon.  

According to Coinmarketcap.com, all cryptos right now are just over $8 billion in cap, with BTC being just over $7.6 bil.  So the other 450+ coins on their site combine for about $400 mil in cap.  

And Litecoin, even in a bad slump, is about HALF of THAT total.  So we're talking about 450+ coins with a combined cap of $200 mil or so, the highest of which are in the $40mm range.  Which of those coins are going to see 25x spikes (or more) to get to $1 billion?  

It's impossible to say.  I'd suspect it will eventually happen.  But the market is not conducive to it right now, and it may be a coin that hasn't been developed yet.

negafen

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 02:59:46 PM

Don't think people can get fool easily again by pump and dump coin.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 03:09:49 PM

Yeah, it's crazy how prices have dropped today. Peercoin is down by 12 percent. Litecoin by almost a fifth. Bitcoin is down as well. All in the space of 24 hours. And if you look at the long term charts, it looks just as bad. Sad
Well, that's how crypto tends to go. There are ups and down, just like any other market/investment.

And hell, let's be honest, if you're really looking at long-term trending, those three are doing amazing compared to other investments when pegged against fiat (which let's face it, that's that what most of you are in this scene for).
BTC: 1-year change: +540% (cap change: +665%)
LTC: 1-year change: +245% (cap change: +400%)
PPC: 1-year change: +565% (cap change: +595%)

Long-term seems pretty good to me. I would kill for any of my traditional investments to provide me these types of returns.
whysosweet

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 03:19:43 PM

Yes in my opinion is very likely that an altcoin in the future will reach and exceed the 1 billion $ market cap.
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 03:21:15 PM

Stellar will and soon enough
Just not sure if it will do so in a sustainable fashion

btchaste

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 04:06:20 PM

1 billion is really too much for the current alts but sooner or later there will be coins which will hit that value.
cryptopaths

Activity: 616

Crypto Knight

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:44:41 PM

I see what you did there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Za8HggalY

And on the subject at hand yes I do believe another alt will surpass 1 billion market cap.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: