Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:47:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it fair?  (Read 822 times)
GIANNAT (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1038
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin entrepreneur and Pro Trader

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2014, 04:56:01 PM

As title says: Is it fair that a local moderator is allowed to sell in the "local marketplace" with all the visibility, trust, etc he has?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cosix

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:05:28 PM

how does a local moderator have more visibility Huh
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:06:01 PM

Of course it's fair, it's up to the buyer to take precautions and use their own judgement. Being a moderator doesn't give much more visibility than any other user.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:14:14 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2014, 05:33:54 PM by grue

As title says: Is it fair that a local moderator is allowed to sell in the "local marketplace" with all the visibility
Assuming the moderator isn't stickying his own sales thread (which would be an abuse of power), how is his sales thread more visible than other users?

trust
Staff members are trusted because only established members are chosen as staff. Also, staff members have a huge incentive not to scam because of their monthly compensation. If you choose to think someone is trusted just because of the text under their name, then you are mistaken.

etc he has?
You only listed two points, please elaborate on the etcetera.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Neg

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:19:49 PM

If they're not abusing their power in any way it is fair. It think it wouldnt be fair to disalow them to sell things here. They're still members like us at the end of the day only more active.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:22:50 PM

If he is not having any benefit over a "normal" member i don't know why it would not be fair
eid

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:30:07 PM

I wouldn't trust a staff member more than their accounts value, just like any other member of the forum. It's completely fair that they're allowed trade like others. Buyers should continue to use their brain, as they hopefully would for non-staff.

Use a trusted escrow and it doesn't matter who you're trading with.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:34:55 PM

If there has been nothing out of the ordinary done by the mod then it is fair.   If selling items in the marketplace is allowed for all members of the forum then the Mod shouldn't be excluded.  Not sure where your coming from because of their position as a mod should make them more trustworthy and less of a threat as far as being scammed goes.  Escrow is preferred but generally speaking I'd rather deal with a Mod before another random person.
Neg

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 05:37:16 PM

I wouldn't trust a staff member more than their accounts value, just like any other member of the forum. It's completely fair that they're allowed trade like others. Buyers should continue to use their brain, as they hopefully would for non-staff.

Use a trusted escrow and it doesn't matter who you're trading with.

I think you can afford them a certain amount of trust, but obviously don't trust them with your life savings, but its unlikely they're going to try skank you out of 0.1 or something, but like you said, use your brain and look at all the available evidence before you trade with them or anyone else, and if in doubt use escrow.
Poorri

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:13:47 PM

Member status and donator is a nice guidance.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:31:59 PM

As title says: Is it fair that a local moderator is allowed to sell in the "local marketplace" with all the visibility
Assuming the moderator isn't stickying his own sales thread (which would be an abuse of power), how is his sales thread more visible than other users?

trust
Staff members are trusted because only established members are chosen as staff. Also, staff members have a huge incentive not to scam because of their monthly compensation. If you choose to think someone is trusted just because of the text under their name, then you are mistaken.

etc he has?

But I read that they are volunteer and only get a very small amount...

Are mods paid or they are volunteer ?

The forum sells ad space in the area beneath the first post of every topic page. About 25% of ad income goes to the forum moderators as thanks for all of their work. (There are many moderators, so each moderator gets only a small amount -- moderators should be seen as volunteers, not employees.)

Probably we get paid less than your signature deal.
Most, in fact, get much less than many active people from sig deals get. The payment is meant to be as a thank you for the work moderators do, not a salary.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:37:15 PM

trust

etc he has?

But I was read that they are volunteer and only get a very small amount...

Are mods paid or they are volunteer ?

The forum sells ad space in the area beneath the first post of every topic page. About 25% of ad income goes to the forum moderators as thanks for all of their work. (There are many moderators, so each moderator gets only a small amount -- moderators should be seen as volunteers, not employees.)

Probably we get paid less than your signature deal.
Most, in fact, get much less than many active people from sig deals get. The payment is meant to be as a thank you for the work moderators do, not a salary.

The difference between mod salary and signature deals is profound. If a mod scams, it's likely their account will be demodded. Getting a new account back to moderator status is not a simple matter. A member earning from signature deals, if he or she decides to scam, can just make a new account and continue to earn money from signature deals.

Although this sounds unfair, I believe it makes sense to trust moderators and donors more, because their accounts are worth more.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 06:53:28 PM

Although this sounds unfair, I believe it makes sense to trust moderators and donors more, because their accounts are worth more.

There are multiple reasons why this statement is incorrect. A moderator, donator or trusted member account isn't immune to being compromised, That, in fact has occurred before and will probably happen again.

Also, people are known to make extreme decisions in drastic circumstances. Let's take this for example; The person who is considered trustworthy recently lost their job and are near to losing their house and potentially their family. Now, in that position I'm sure a lot of thoughts race through the mind of that person and they have to make something good of the situation and earn money to try and keep their house. So, in this situation, I believe a person could make the decision to scam other members if they know they can get away with it or just to earn money for a short period of time.

This, might be taking a simple issue and blowing it out of portion, but we must consider everything.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 12, 2014, 08:31:47 PM

Nefario was a global mod here.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3046
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=115669.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=114442.0

Matthew N. Wright was a mod of the Korean sub forum.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=24749
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=163589.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=163587.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137287.0

Don't trust anyone just because they have a clean up duty title on some interwebz forum when you aren't even sure in which country the forum is located.

Even theymos has a pretty bad trust rating for me. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=35

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: