Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:54:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make merchants aware of Bitcoins advantages?  (Read 2555 times)
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 03:48:23 PM

You mean to tell me merchants don't realize how powerless they are when it comes to control of their bank accounts or paypall accounts??! How can Bitcoin ever compete then if people don't even feel like there's room for improvement?

A lot of people just don't know there are better alternatives, familiary is comforting. For some it breeds contemp and you'll reach those, but you could miss out on a lot of others just by including hot phrases. Bitcoin can stand on it's own merits. No need to tear the banks down, they're destroying themselves. 

+1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 08:42:47 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2012, 09:35:18 PM by wareen

Maybe there's a pr/marketing person on the boards who can help with advice about emails like this.

Everybody considering to push Bitcoin like this, please follow this advice from evorhees:

Quote from: evorhees
Rule number one of your first email to someone in business (who you don't know) is that it can't be more than 4 or 5 sentences. This means, you should basically just say something like, "Hey are you guys planning to accept Bitcoin as a payment option soon? "

Then if they respond with the question "WTF is that?" then you can write a couple short paragraphs of what it is, and why they as a merchant might like it.

Then if there is a second response from them, it means they're clearly interested and you can provide some links, more comprehensive info.

Especially for your first mail, less is definitely more! Starting with an essay about Bitcoin's advantages, no matter how witty and thoughtful, will probably not get you very far.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 09:27:11 PM

You likely can increase adoption by explaining to them how they can do everything right and then still have their funds seized by Mt.Gox for totally undefined "suspicious activity" which is completely impossible for them to prevent.

check_status (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 02:54:07 AM

Maybe there's a pr/marketing person on the boards who can help with advice about emails like this.

Everybody considering to push Bitcoin like this, please follow this advice from evorhees:

Quote from: evorhees
Rule number one of your first email to someone in business (who you don't know) is that it can't be more than 4 or 5 sentences. This means, you should basically just say something like, "Hey are you guys planning to accept Bitcoin as a payment option soon? "

Then if they respond with the question "WTF is that?" then you can write a couple short paragraphs of what it is, and why they as a merchant might like it.

Then if there is a second response from them, it means they're clearly interested and you can provide some links, more comprehensive info.

Especially for your first mail, less is definitely more! Starting with an essay about Bitcoin's advantages, no matter how witty and thoughtful, will probably not get you very far.

This makes sense from the Merchants perspective who may be receiving 100's to 1000's of emails a day. With the "Less is More" approach you may increase your chances of the Merchant being receptive. It is better than where too much information may become classified as SPAM in the mind of the Merchant.
Thanks

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 03:05:19 AM

You likely can increase adoption by explaining to them how they can do everything right and then still have their funds seized by Mt.Gox for totally undefined "suspicious activity" which is completely impossible for them to prevent.

Are you just being a wise ass or are you serious? You don’t think we should be attempting to increase awareness because MtGox sucks?
Going along with my previous statement regarding fees, you could push Bit-Pay, which hasn't really had such issues and is business oriented. To avoid bringing new business converts too far outside their comfort zone by eliminating the fee completely, you could show them that there is a way to do it for a reduced fee, which in some cases may be substantially reduced (compare with credit cards for instance), but not gone.

Although I have not experienced Bit-Pay from a business owner's perspective, I'd bet that they would have less of a support backlog and noob agents problem compared to MtGox. MtGox's merchant solution is cheap, but a business owner wants to get answers right away if there is possibly a problem, and I don't know that I would want to rely on MtGox for that. In addition, MtGox's merchant solution was recently bolted on to the back of their exchange API, and Bit-Pay have been doing only a merchant solution since their inception.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 04:16:16 AM

My comment was more a warning.  Bitcoin is 0.x for a reason.  I don't want to discourage adoption but there are significant challenges and not all of them technical.  A major business having coins frozen would be a PR disaster for Bitcoin it would undermine all the claims we make.   The reality is not all businesses are ready for Bitcoin because Bitcoin isn't ready for all businesses.  I think a slow increase in adoption in terms of users, merchants, software, etc is the best path.  

In time I think any challenge can be resolved.  It likely will require a lawsuit when certain exchange freezes the wrong account and a six or seven figure settlement but it will be resolved.

Sorry for the semi-derail.  Just been a hard day with some wanting to force miners to include tx and exchanges up to the iodiocy of freezing accounts based on secret lists.   Angry
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2012, 04:17:25 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2012, 04:56:32 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Are you just being a wise ass or are you serious? You don’t think we should be attempting to increase awareness because MtGox sucks?
Going along with my previous statement regarding fees, you could push Bit-Pay, which hasn't really had such issues and is business oriented. To avoid bringing new business converts too far outside their comfort zone by eliminating the fee completely, you could show them that there is a way to do it for a reduced fee, which in some cases may be substantially reduced (compare with credit cards for instance), but not gone.

Although I have not experienced Bit-Pay from a business owner's perspective, I'd bet that they would have less of a support backlog and noob agents problem compared to MtGox. MtGox's merchant solution is cheap, but a business owner wants to get answers right away if there is possibly a problem, and I don't know that I would want to rely on MtGox for that. In addition, MtGox's merchant solution was recently bolted on to the back of their exchange API, and Bit-Pay have been doing only a merchant solution since their inception.

+1

That last sentence, for me, sums it all up.

Merchant: So tell me, Mr. Gox, how you got into providing merchant solutions.
Mt Gox: Funny story, but all it started when I was trading these Magic: The Gathering cards...
Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 04:45:08 AM

1. Urging people to accept Bitcoin to make their value rise sounds like a pump and dump scheme.
2. The typical merchants and charities don’t do shit, noone would use Bitcoins with them instead of fiat. They also just cash out Bitcoins for Dollars, so that actually brings down the price.

Again, the only thing that really helps is to have applications which cannot exist without Bitcoin.

+1
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: