Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:28:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Building Armory on OSX  (Read 32280 times)
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 04:17:43 AM

PPC is going to be a pain.  Sorry  Sad

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Haplo

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 04:57:29 AM

I just rechecked in ./config -h for QT4 again, and it looks like it's not going to work, period. I really did not want to have to install the satoshi client >_<. Maybe if I erase my HD and start over with Linux it'll work Tongue.

Sad to say, I've been a mac user since before iPods existed, and now I would not ever buy a mac again after the retarded treatment I've gotten. Besides OpenCL, there's not a single thing new intel hardware can do that mine can't, and yet they drop all backward compatibility for OSX 10.5+? The fuck? I bet the latest linux build would compile just fine (on any hardware of my choosing, for that matter), and then I wouldn't have to jump through all these bullshit hoops just to get some random GUI kit to compile. 24 hours I'll never get back =\.

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 07:15:29 AM

I just rechecked in ./config -h for QT4 again, and it looks like it's not going to work, period. I really did not want to have to install the satoshi client >_<. Maybe if I erase my HD and start over with Linux it'll work Tongue.

Sad to say, I've been a mac user since before iPods existed, and now I would not ever buy a mac again after the retarded treatment I've gotten. Besides OpenCL, there's not a single thing new intel hardware can do that mine can't, and yet they drop all backward compatibility for OSX 10.5+? The fuck? I bet the latest linux build would compile just fine (on any hardware of my choosing, for that matter), and then I wouldn't have to jump through all these bullshit hoops just to get some random GUI kit to compile. 24 hours I'll never get back =\.
You need the satoshi client to get the blockchain.  So you will need either bitcoin-qt or bitcoind until the networking code is built into Armory.

Any reason you have to stick with Tiger? I'd recommend installing linux. It actually works with new software (and old hardware) and is much less of a hassle than building new software on an outdated architecture running an outdated OS.

And if you are comparing difficulties with Tiger to the latest linux build, that isn't fair at all.  I think trying to get Armory working in Ubuntu 5.04 (which was released about the same time Tiger was) would be a fair comparison and is probably just as much a PITA.

Haplo

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 07:48:22 AM

Well, on the one hand I think I probably did have it figured out. Windowing agnostic mode should cause it to ignore carbon and cocoa which should fix the compatibility issues. I hope.

You need the satoshi client to get the blockchain.  So you will need either bitcoin-qt or bitcoind until the networking code is built into Armory.

I was planning on using electrum since my HD space is somewhat limited. Tongue If I can get that working I'll work on armory since the extra stuff it needs shouldn't be too hard.

Any reason you have to stick with Tiger? I'd recommend installing linux. It actually works with new software (and old hardware) and is much less of a hassle than building new software on an outdated architecture running an outdated OS.

Well, I don't like monokernels Tongue. Not that OSX is really any better, although honestly I don't know much of shit about linux Tongue. I can barely use bash ^_^. That, and I'd hardly know what to look for in terms of even basic functionality. I know Mplayer and I could probably find an IM client, but for email I'd be screwed.

And if you are comparing difficulties with Tiger to the latest linux build, that isn't fair at all.  I think trying to get Armory working in Ubuntu 5.04 (which was released about the same time Tiger was) would be a fair comparison and is probably just as much a PITA.

It'd probably be much easier and cheaper to upgrade from Ubuntu 5.04 to the latest on any hardware than to upgrade from Tiger to anything on PPC. Leopard is even more bloated than Tiger, and I'm only vaguely certain that I could upgrade that far. Even if I did even then I doubt this would be any easier since Qt doesn't support anything less than Snow Leopard. x.x

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 08:45:22 AM

I was planning on using electrum since my HD space is somewhat limited. Tongue If I can get that working I'll work on armory since the extra stuff it needs shouldn't be too hard.
I don't think that electrum works like you think it does.

Well, I don't like monokernels Tongue. Not that OSX is really any better, although honestly I don't know much of shit about linux Tongue. I can barely use bash ^_^. That, and I'd hardly know what to look for in terms of even basic functionality. I know Mplayer and I could probably find an IM client, but for email I'd be screwed.
You haven't touched linux in a while have you? All the modern desktop distros come with all of that stuff installed.  Ubuntu is a simple install and everything is there for you.  Word processing, e-mail, web browsing, cd/dvd burning, games, irc and IM, etc., etc.  However, most modern desktop distros abandoned mainline support for PPC a while ago. Ubuntu moved PPC support to "unofficial" back at version 7, but there is a 10.04 build for PPC.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/releases/10.04/release/

Compiling Armory in xubuntu 10.04 should be easy. It's new enough to have all the libraries you will need and there is a PPC build. There's even a PPA to install bitcoind and/or bitcoin-qt. Hopefully those work with the unofficial build.  Otherwise, bitcoind isn't too bad too build from source.

It'd probably be much easier and cheaper to upgrade from Ubuntu 5.04 to the latest on any hardware than to upgrade from Tiger to anything on PPC. Leopard is even more bloated than Tiger, and I'm only vaguely certain that I could upgrade that far. Even if I did even then I doubt this would be any easier since Qt doesn't support anything less than Snow Leopard. x.x
I wasn't talking about the monetary cost.  I was talking about the ease of compiling the code.

Haplo

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 10:19:24 AM

Last I checked electrum feeds off of full nodes with a special server interface, but isn't tied to any one server nor requires owning one.

You haven't touched linux in a while have you? All the modern desktop distros come with all of that stuff installed.  Ubuntu is a simple install and everything is there for you.  Word processing, e-mail, web browsing, cd/dvd burning, games, irc and IM, etc., etc.  However, most modern desktop distros abandoned mainline support for PPC a while ago. Ubuntu moved PPC support to "unofficial" back at version 7, but there is a 10.04 build for PPC.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/releases/10.04/release/

Nifty. Is there anything in particular that I might have trouble compiling/updating? For example could I compile and run GNOME3.x on this box, or is that asking too much?

Compiling Armory in xubuntu 10.04 should be easy. It's new enough to have all the libraries you will need and there is a PPC build. There's even a PPA to install bitcoind and/or bitcoin-qt. Hopefully those work with the unofficial build.  Otherwise, bitcoind isn't too bad too build from source.

Not too worried about it, although I'm not sure what dependencies bitcoind has. Except for Qt (which tries to use newer cocoa bindings) I haven't actually had much trouble compiling things on this machine, and on linux I should probably be able to compile Qt easily enough Tongue. For ~800MB it really doesn't look bad at all.

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2012, 04:29:44 PM

Well this isn't the 'Building on OSX' thread I expected, but I suppose this is still on topic.

Last I checked electrum feeds off of full nodes with a special server interface, but isn't tied to any one server nor requires owning one.
Oh sorry. I misread.  I thought you meant you either wanted to use electrum instead of bitcoin for getting the blockchain, and then still use Armory or wanted to run an electrum server which also requires bitcoind.  Those didn't make any sense, but you were saying that want to use the Electrum client.  That would work (assuming you can get it compiled Smiley )

Nifty. Is there anything in particular that I might have trouble compiling/updating? For example could I compile and run GNOME3.x on this box, or is that asking too much?
Well that is a link to xubuntu which uses XFCE instead of gnome.  I gave you that link to xubuntu rather than ubuntu 10.04 (which uses GNOME2 IIRC) because XFCE has lower system requirements, but still looks nice.

Compiling Armory in xubuntu 10.04 should be easy. It's new enough to have all the libraries you will need and there is a PPC build. There's even a PPA to install bitcoind and/or bitcoin-qt. Hopefully those work with the unofficial build.  Otherwise, bitcoind isn't too bad too build from source.

Not too worried about it, although I'm not sure what dependencies bitcoind has. Except for Qt (which tries to use newer cocoa bindings) I haven't actually had much trouble compiling things on this machine, and on linux I should probably be able to compile Qt easily enough Tongue. For ~800MB it really doesn't look bad at all.
Well you won't need to build bitcoin-qt, just bitcoind.  Try installing the PPA and then 'sudo apt-get install bitcoind'  That's what I did in my VirtualBox VM and it seems to work fine (Although DO NOT import that wallet since it will use 0.6's compressed keys which aren't supported by Armory's import yet).

If that fails, then the steps to compile (without UPNP) from source are pretty simple.
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y git-core build-essential libssl-dev libboost-all-dev libdb4.8-dev libdb4.8++-dev libgtk2.0-dev

git clone https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin.git ~/src/bitcoin
cd ~/src/bitcoin/src

make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP=
Good luck!

Haplo

View Profile
April 08, 2012, 05:44:33 PM

Oh sorry. I misread.  I thought you meant you either wanted to use electrum instead of bitcoin for getting the blockchain, and then still use Armory or wanted to run an electrum server which also requires bitcoind.  Those didn't make any sense, but you were saying that want to use the Electrum client.  That would work (assuming you can get it compiled Smiley )

Yeah, for now I want to keep it light. My machine is about 1/100th too slow to contribute much of anything to the network Tongue. HD space is probably my biggest concern.

Well that is a link to xubuntu which uses XFCE instead of gnome.  I gave you that link to xubuntu rather than ubuntu 10.04 (which uses GNOME2 IIRC) because XFCE has lower system requirements, but still looks nice.

#$%@#%$#$%ing debian Smiley. Debian supports everything. And they have nifty net-install CD images so I can basically construct my own distro.

Well you won't need to build bitcoin-qt, just bitcoind.  Try installing the PPA and then 'sudo apt-get install bitcoind'  That's what I did in my VirtualBox VM and it seems to work fine (Although DO NOT import that wallet since it will use 0.6's compressed keys which aren't supported by Armory's import yet).

Ah, so bitcoin does use qt for its frontend. I had a suspicion Tongue. I'll have to install qt anyway for any of the clients so it's not a big deal. Since I can run the absolute latest debian (and whatever else I feel like on it) I shouldn't have to worry about compatibility issues.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 08:35:25 PM

So now that I got a couple emails about disgruntled mac users, I want to revive this thread to investigate how to proceed.

(1) I still have no mac system
(2) Macs are still expensive
(3) I don't know what kind of mac to get
(4) Is it possible to bundle everything, including python, into a directory and make the executable "/path/to/armory/python /path/to/armory/ArmoryQt.py"?  Or will I really need to produce real executables?

My most important question, going forward, is that I need to understand what is the most-widely-compatible system I can get that will compile code that can be used on other systems?

(5) If I get an older system, will the binaries produced be executable on newer Mac systems?  Older systems?
(6) How much variety is there in the setups?   In linux/debian, it always gets installed to /usr/share/armory.  Would mac have similar consistency?
(7) How much can I expect to pay for an acceptable, used Mac.

And please don't recommend I get a new Mac.  I'm sure the value is phenomenal.  But I really just need the cheapest thing that I can hook a monitor up to that I can use to compile and test Mac binaries.  Old mac donations would be ideal (or at least a cheap sale, I'll pay for shipping), but I don't want to commit until I know what's a good system to acquire.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 09:06:58 PM

You could install Mac osx on a virtual machine.

I managed to install Snow leopard on virtualbox, using iaktos. It can't work on any hardware though, PM for the details if you want Smiley
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2012, 09:08:58 PM

You could install Mac osx on a virtual machine.

I managed to install Snow leopard on virtualbox, using iaktos. It can't work on any hardware though, PM for the details if you want Smiley

I have tried this no less than 3 times, and I've failed every time.  It never works for me.  If you think you can help, please email me:  etotheipi@gmail.com.  But so far, I'm convinced that real hardware is the way to go...

And on that note:  do I only need one Mac VM?  Are there multiple versions of Mac/OSX to support?

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Haplo

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 01:10:44 AM

Well, now that I'm on gentoo and have a real web browser I can answer that question:

Yes there are multiple versions to support. Basically it's split up between x86 and ppc, with ppc being restricted to Tiger/Leopard (which is fscking retarded considering that apple moved to LLVM....) while x86 will typically be running Snow Leopard or Lion.

The main differences are in the quartz/cocoa gui implementation, although it depends on what frontend you use. Qt4 will not build on older versions of OSX (ie anything pre-Snow Leopard) as I've found out the hard way, so if you actually intend to support them at all you'll have to use something else. I don't know how well gtk builds on older OSX (never tried), I just gave up and moved to gentoo Tongue.

I don't know that there are python bindings for cocoa, but if so it's as easy/difficult as any other gui kit, except they break backwards compatibility without having any explicit versions of the API.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 12:42:56 PM

Bitcoind doesn't run on ppc-- and minimum supported osx version is 10.5.

And Armory depends on bitcoind, right?

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2012, 01:13:18 PM

Does that mean that if I were to cannabilize the bitcoind code to integrate networking into Armory, that I'll never get it working on ppc?  Or does it not work, for other reasons?

Btw, have you tried Armory yet? 

P.S. -- I still don't have a working OSX VM or actual OSX-running hardware.  So I still have not been able to flesh out the Mac build/distribution process.  Sorry Mac'ers Sad

Haplo

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:53:56 PM

Bitcoind happens to be on the gentoo portage repository, so I checked out its dependencies to see if there was anything x86 specific. I don't see anything, so unless you guys decided to rice out your code with x86 assembler then I should be able to compile it just fine.

Does that mean that if I were to cannabilize the bitcoind code to integrate networking into Armory, that I'll never get it working on ppc?  Or does it not work, for other reasons?

Btw, have you tried Armory yet? 

P.S. -- I still don't have a working OSX VM or actual OSX-running hardware.  So I still have not been able to flesh out the Mac build/distribution process.  Sorry Mac'ers Sad

I'll let you know. I just got my system to the point where everything is working and it does what I need it to Tongue. I think your frontend is exclusively QT, so I'll have to emerge PyQt4 and bitcoind before I can test. I'll let you know what happens.

Some other stuffs:

You can probably get an iBook or older ppc mac for cheap (if you can find one). PPC macs can't run anything greater than leopard (OSX10.5) but any program coded for Tiger or newer should run on any modern mac. New versions of the OS (in my experience) have always supported older code, but they've changed a few important things over the years so that newer code won't run on older versions. Unless you want compiz effects in armory, that shouldn't really be an issue, though Tongue. The only downside is that Tiger doesn't support garbage collection, but if you're using python to do most of your work it shouldn't be a problem. The main problem is hooking up python to the cocoa gui, which I'm pretty clueless about as I'm not a big fan of python Tongue. You'll probably want leopard since it natively supports cross development, and is the last OS to support both PPC and x86.

One more thing, how are you trying to install OSX in a VM? Apple sold their soul to microsoft in exchange for microsoft continuing to make office for mac, so Apple puts DRM controls on their OS to force it not to install on non-apple hardware (including VMs). There are some hacks around it, but I'm not up to date on any of that.

Haplo

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 10:20:25 PM

Well, I got bitcoind and all the qt stuff to compile no problem, although I can't yet attest to whether it works or not.

However, I'm unable to get armory to compile. Whether I use "make swig" or "make -e swig", first I get lots of

Code:
g++ -DNDEBUG -O -g0 -native -template=no%extdef  -c ***.cpp
g++: unrecognized option '-native'
g++: unrecognized option '-template=no%extdef'

Then I get a wall of

Code:
g++: language ar not recognized

then

Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/4.5.3/../../../../lib/crt1.o:(.rodata+0x4): undefined reference to `main'
trdlocal.o: In function `CryptoPP::ThreadLocalStorage::GetValue() const':
trdlocal.cpp:(.text+0x2f4): undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
trdlocal.o: In function `CryptoPP::ThreadLocalStorage::SetValue(void*)':
trdlocal.cpp:(.text+0x324): undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
trdlocal.o: In function `CryptoPP::ThreadLocalStorage::~ThreadLocalStorage()':
trdlocal.cpp:(.text+0x430): undefined reference to `pthread_key_delete'
trdlocal.o: In function `CryptoPP::ThreadLocalStorage::ThreadLocalStorage()':
trdlocal.cpp:(.text+0x53c): undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [libcryptopp.a] Error 1
mv: cannot stat 'libcryptopp.a': No such file or directory
make: *** [libcryptopp.a] Error 1

However...

Code:
localhost cppForSwig # locate libcryptopp
/usr/lib/libcryptopp.a
/usr/lib/libcryptopp.so
/usr/lib/libcryptopp.so.0
/usr/lib/libcryptopp.so.0.0.0

At least some of that stuff is probably arch flag inconsistencies (gcc for ppc exclusively uses -mcpu= and not -march=, although I would have expected make -e to fix that since cflags are set globally in gentoo) but the cryptopp thing makes no sense. I have both crypto++ and pycryptopp installed. The other stuff I have no clue about.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 10:29:39 PM

I think there was something in the original OSX build instructions that addressed the -native and extdef stuff.  I don't remember exactly, but it's linked from the "Building Armory from Source" page.

As for libcryptopp:  I got tired of dealing with library version/compatibility issues so I switched to static compiling crypto++ right into Armory.  I needed the source code in the project anyway for Windows/MSVS, so I just did it for all versions.  Therefore, the version on your system should not matter.  But also there should be no problem compiling it, unless the crypto++ library was never compiled or tested on your architecture.

I have no idea about the "g++: language ar not recognized".  Sad

Haplo

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 10:58:06 PM

I think there was something in the original OSX build instructions that addressed the -native and extdef stuff.  I don't remember exactly, but it's linked from the "Building Armory from Source" page.

As for libcryptopp:  I got tired of dealing with library version/compatibility issues so I switched to static compiling crypto++ right into Armory.  I needed the source code in the project anyway for Windows/MSVS, so I just did it for all versions.  Therefore, the version on your system should not matter.  But also there should be no problem compiling it, unless the crypto++ library was never compiled or tested on your architecture.

I have no idea about the "g++: language ar not recognized".  Sad

Yeah I saw the stuff about -arch in the OSX instructions. I think -arch ppc does work, but I'm not sure exactly what it does or how it relates to cflags. I'll try that and see what happens.

However, something tells me it won't work properly anyway, after reading up on the endianness disaster in the bitcoind code. Bitcoind compiles fine, but that doesn't mean it will actually work properly, and something tells me it most definitely won't. >_<

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2012, 11:02:31 PM

Ugh.  You just reminded me that I didn't totally understand endianness when I started the python library, and I most definitely did it wrong.  If there is a real demand for mixed-endian-arch support, I can do it.  But it may take a few days.  Up until now, I have not considered it a worthy investment of my time, because it is so fragile, something is sure to break even after I think I've fixed all of it...

Haplo

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 11:57:29 PM

Ugh.  You just reminded me that I didn't totally understand endianness when I started the python library, and I most definitely did it wrong.  If there is a real demand for mixed-endian-arch support, I can do it.  But it may take a few days.  Up until now, I have not considered it a worthy investment of my time, because it is so fragile, something is sure to break even after I think I've fixed all of it...

Haha that's alright. I think I got at least electrum to work. You'd be better spending your time helping that other guy build his C implementation and do it right Tongue. I've had enough experience with endianness myself to know how inside out and backwards it makes everything, and trying to hack a fix on top of a tangled broken base implementation would be a lot of work and a lot of things that could break, and a lot more work to fix.

I'm not going to ask anyone to do something so impossibly unmaintainable. After having to compile an entire system from scratch I've gained an appreciation for having to deal with nonsense like this Tongue. Honestly I don't know how binary distros manage to do it at all.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: