Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:19:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Check Balance of Multiple Bitcoin Addresses ( Non py, Non Linux )  (Read 24836 times)
The Ferox (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 02:27:05 AM

Ok, after a week and a half of searching it is CLEAR that there is no easy solution to this problem.

The goal or problem is checking the balance of a ton of addresses without having to import them with keys without having to run a linux machine, without having to run anything in python, just plain and simple copy a list of addresses......

1EMXdJrLUhyh5ycijPzmJKWGStQ915VGSJ
1EmXdS1QPA7wmJqH7WtfwaV6rM88LC9t6F
etc....
etc....
etc.....

Then paste them into an input window, click submit or what have you, and have their balances checked say a 100,000 addresses at a time, or a million at a time, or whatever large number.

I have seen this question asked over a few hundred times in my week and a half search and have found 0 answers to it. 0 real answers that a non software developer, non linux running, non python familiar person can take advantage of.

So i ask again, on behalf of myself and the hundreds of other people out there that have been asking the same thing and all ended up with over technical non useful results.

Is there any way to check the balance of a ton of addresses by simply copying and pasting them into an input field.

Things we dont need:

Links to your software that will not run easily on widows or mac without having to install a ton of other stuff
Your explanation on how someone could code this software, Myself, and the others who have asked are obviously not developers
simple one line replies referencing someone else's block parser or other non windows/mac programs with no "how to use this for dummies" help.

you get the point, do a quick google search and you can see for yourself how this has been a discussion hundreds of times with no resolution.

Side note: if you are a able bodied developer, and the solution is as easy as (this) as has been answered many times before, maybe you can spend the few hours people say it would take to make such a software for the community to use.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 02:57:14 AM

I'm not aware of any service or easily installed and used software that will accomplish what you want.

I suspect you will get a lot of advice that you have already said you don't want from a lot of people who won't bother reading your entire post.  In the future, if you try asking the question again, I suggest you start a "self-moderated" thread.  That way you can delete all the undesired advice.
The Ferox (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 03:04:29 AM

I'm not aware of any service or easily installed and used software that will accomplish what you want.

I suspect you will get a lot of advice that you have already said you don't want from a lot of people who won't bother reading your entire post.  In the future, if you try asking the question again, I suggest you start a "self-moderated" thread.  That way you can delete all the undesired advice.

Thanks danny, i appreciate your feedback (no easily installed and used software ), as for the self moderated thread, the whole point of defining non-viable solutions or un-needed advice is to avoid having to moderate a thread.

Anyways, i guess there is always Fiverr.com, i have managed to get a ton of development done through them for next to nothing with BitcoinJ so if over the next day or two nobody else has a viable solution, i will hire some guy from India or Pakistan for $5 to copy/paste a few lines from BitcoinJ to make what i need since i have no clue what any of the stuff in the BitcoinJ zip file is and they seem to read it like a kid reads cat in the hat.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 03:27:32 AM

Thanks danny, i appreciate your feedback (no easily installed and used software ), as for the self moderated thread, the whole point of defining non-viable solutions or un-needed advice is to avoid having to moderate a thread.

Anyways, i guess there is always Fiverr.com, i have managed to get a ton of development done through them for next to nothing with BitcoinJ so if over the next day or two nobody else has a viable solution, i will hire some guy from India or Pakistan for $5 to copy/paste a few lines from BitcoinJ to make what i need since i have no clue what any of the stuff in the BitcoinJ zip file is and they seem to read it like a kid reads cat in the hat.

Unfortunately, part of the problem is that at the protocol level, there is no such thing as an "address" or a "balance".  There are only "outputs" and scripts that set up requirements that must be met in order to reassign the value from those outputs.  The concept of a "balance" or even a "bitcoin" for that matter are just abstractions that we humans use to make it easier to talk about transferring control of value.

Therefore, the only way to find the "balance" of a very long list of "addresses" is to have a database of all currently unspent outputs, and then check every address against the scriptPubKey of each unspent output. Any software to do this would need to stay synchronized with the blockchain, and therefore would need to be kept running or the user would have to wait for synchronization every time they start it up.  Any service to do this would need to be able to handle the HUGE number of requests to search the entire database for every address for every potential user of the service.
The Ferox (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 03:44:04 AM

Unfortunately, part of the problem is that at the protocol level, there is no such thing as an "address" or a "balance".  There are only "outputs" and scripts that set up requirements that must be met in order to reassign the value from those outputs.  The concept of a "balance" or even a "bitcoin" for that matter are just abstractions that we humans use to make it easier to talk about transferring control of value.

Therefore, the only way to find the "balance" of a very long list of "addresses" is to have a database of all currently unspent outputs, and then check every address against the scriptPubKey of each unspent output. Any software to do this would need to stay synchronized with the blockchain, and therefore would need to be kept running or the user would have to wait for synchronization every time they start it up.  Any service to do this would need to be able to handle the HUGE number of requests to search the entire database for every address for every potential user of the service.

I fully agree with everything you said, although my coding abilities stop at basic PHP and MySql, my hardware abilities and budget have landed me with a BackBlaze 4.0 storage pod which after a few days worth of cussing and swearing i got assembled and on my network, as well as a home brew semi-supercomputer with 128 gig ECC ram and 10 quad core intel processors with haswell architecture.

I have tried my hand at resolving this myself using the Insight software and API, and tried my hand at chopping (cutting and pasting) java code to work my own solution. but was left with "i should just stick to making websites" as i know jack squat about java, C, or for that matter anything not HTML or PHP related.

I am really beginning to think i am going to have to take advantage of some poor developer from some far off country through fiverr to do the coding for pennies of what it is worth. In the end it will be a solution though which is better than whats out there now.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 08:11:11 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2015, 04:50:14 PM by shorena

Edit: I get PMs from time to time asking for help with the below software. The API in question is no longer operational, thus you will need to use the curl version -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=736607.msg9982506#msg9982506

---
I read this thread a day or two ago and though, well this should be easily done in ruby... and then I read it completly.

I spend a few hours and made a tiny java programm [1] that does what I think you want.

You simple have to paste all the addresses in a file named in.txt (seperated by line breaks, see the in.txt that I put there for testing), run it with
Code:
java -jar chkblnc.jar

and watch it work. When done it will make you a file named out.txt (be carefull any existing file in the same directory with that name will be overwritten).

Which looks like this:

Code:
---------- BTC address ----------| : Balance in BTC (Satoshi)
186Aow5EgRz6WNroi2Eky8c94eZvxpWAEd : 0.22698467 (22698467)
19QkbYPu81MHkSdBxKXUm39nyH14z27gf6 : 0.181 (18100000)
19wLQ9PbptbrhXywyJ1FmmwckmH8x367Ez : 9.00230376 (900230376)
1MF48CPkGmnCXp54ztp9gTRCscpHzGvEC4 : 0.0 (0)
1Q147jbV8RFrBiW9JfNgZGNUtGoYnxsGED : 0.0 (0)
1LD6GEDrStmKYUjVnDwqySDqU6BUCo7Boc : 0.0 (0)
1FFvzKr4tHBb5tm7uLKwfUdRpQt4SiyCip : 0.0 (0)
1B4WYJA97wEZcC1faQaoE8zefyDwNmYdR3 : 0.0 (0)

I used the blockchain.info API [2] to get the balance, so it will need internet access. The connection will not be encrypted.
It is quick and dirty and will not catch any exceptions, if anything goes wrong (e.g. no internet, file not found) it will just terminate.
Please do not blindly trust me and read the code! Even with limited copy pasta knowledge of java you should be able to understand what it does.

I know these are a lot but, but [3] I hope it will help you.

[1] includes source, readme and example files https://mega.co.nz/#!ckQ1gSSY!gsqAlZojlt-ACxZB7179g95zgWrhKAxwMMalPG_7Jlo
[2] https://blockchain.info/q
[3] aaand another one Wink

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 10:02:29 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 11:50:07 PM by gmaxwell

Ok, after a week and a half of searching it is CLEAR that there is no easy solution to this problem.
The goal or problem is checking the balance of a ton of addresses without having to import them with keys without having to run a linux machine, without having to run anything in python, just plain and simple copy a list of addresses......
etc....
etc....
etc.....
to make such a software for the community to use.
What community is this useful for? Other people I've seen asking for this are trying to crack brainwallets (ineptly).
The Ferox (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 10:43:23 PM

to make such a software for the community to use.
What community is this useful for? Other people I've seen asking for this are trying to crack brainwallets (ineptly).

How the #$*@ did you end up a moderator?

1: having a list of addresses and being able to check them all at once has absolutely NOTHING to do with brain wallets Without the priv key you can do nothing with an address.

2: having the ability to monitor a ton of addresses without having to have any keys neither public or private has many uses, if i had more patience with people who are quick to make statements or accusations without first pulling their head out of their @$$ and reading the full OP i might even list them for you.

3: i dont know how in your twisted little head you came to the conclusion that checking balances without keys is for brainwallet cracking. If that were the case, blockchain.info and any other similar service are out to destroy BTC because they all allow it one address at a time, worse they let us explore the blockchain. If there were any logic behind your statement we all better sell all of our BTC as fast as we can as anyone can generate an address in 2 seconds and want to check the balance of it or even a million of them.

I read this thread a day or two ago and though, well this should be easily done in ruby... and then I read it completly.

I spend a few hours and made a tiny java programm [1] that does what I think you want.

You simple have to paste all the addresses in a file named in.txt (seperated by line breaks, see the in.txt that I put there for testing), run it with
Code:
java -jar chkblnc.jar

and watch it work. When done it will make you a file named out.txt (be carefull any existing file in the same directory with that name will be overwritten).

Which looks like this:

Code:
---------- BTC address ----------| : Balance in BTC (Satoshi)
186Aow5EgRz6WNroi2Eky8c94eZvxpWAEd : 0.22698467 (22698467)
19QkbYPu81MHkSdBxKXUm39nyH14z27gf6 : 0.181 (18100000)
19wLQ9PbptbrhXywyJ1FmmwckmH8x367Ez : 9.00230376 (900230376)
1MF48CPkGmnCXp54ztp9gTRCscpHzGvEC4 : 0.0 (0)
1Q147jbV8RFrBiW9JfNgZGNUtGoYnxsGED : 0.0 (0)
1LD6GEDrStmKYUjVnDwqySDqU6BUCo7Boc : 0.0 (0)
1FFvzKr4tHBb5tm7uLKwfUdRpQt4SiyCip : 0.0 (0)
1B4WYJA97wEZcC1faQaoE8zefyDwNmYdR3 : 0.0 (0)

I used the blockchain.info API [2] to get the balance, so it will need internet access. The connection will not be encrypted.
It is quick and dirty and will not catch any exceptions, if anything goes wrong (e.g. no internet, file not found) it will just terminate.
Please do not blindly trust me and read the code! Even with limited copy pasta knowledge of java you should be able to understand what it does.

I know these are a lot but, but [3] I hope it will help you.

[1] includes source, readme and example files https://mega.co.nz/#!ckQ1gSSY!gsqAlZojlt-ACxZB7179g95zgWrhKAxwMMalPG_7Jlo
[2] https://blockchain.info/q
[3] aaand another one Wink

As for you...

I friggen love you man. ( in a non-homo kind of way)
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 11:36:00 PM

1: having a list of addresses and being able to check them all at once has absolutely NOTHING to do with brain wallets Without the priv key you can do nothing with an address.

2: having the ability to monitor a ton of addresses without having to have any keys neither public or private has many uses, if i had more patience with people who are quick to make statements or accusations without first pulling their head out of their @$$ and reading the full OP i might even list them for you.

3: i dont know how in your twisted little head you came to the conclusion that checking balances without keys is for brainwallet cracking. If that were the case, blockchain.info and any other similar service are out to destroy BTC because they all allow it one address at a time, worse they let us explore the blockchain. If there were any logic behind your statement we all better sell all of our BTC as fast as we can as anyone can generate an address in 2 seconds and want to check the balance of it or even a million of them.

Thats an awful lot of very defensive text without any explanation at all. I've encountered inept brainwallet crackers multiple times who had the laughable strategy of attempting a key and querying bc.i for its balance, until they rapidly find themselves banned, then they show up on the forum or chat asking a question a lot like yours— a way to query a lot of addresses.  Especially when they're asking about querying at a scale compariable to or larger than the number of addresses with spendable coins in existence in total.

In any case— I didn't say _you_ were attempting to do this,  I asked what you were doing and pointed out what my past experience is with the question (so that you might be aware of the kind of speculation your question might inspire).

Generally if you're seeking help it's advisable to describe what you're actually trying to accomplish so that people with experience can point you to the best solution— often when you've found yourself in an unsolvable rut it's because you took a wrong turn a few steps back, and are now headed down a blind ally—  and only asking complete questions can save you.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 11:42:49 PM

Ah, so since you weren't helpful in your response I thought I'd research some...

Looking at your past posts I see you were previously asking:

1: and probably the most important i cannot find. I need a wallet that makes a sound, plays a noise, or something audible when bitcoin are received. Armory gives me a bubble that pops up from the toolbar, but no sound.
2: It needs to be able to easily import WIF style private keys, and function well with a ton of them (thousands... its a long story i would rather not explain but will summarize below briefly.)
3: It needs to be a windows desktop application, not a web wallet, not an android wallet, it needs to be like the original bitcoin client or armory where i have it on my own home network.
The summary.....
I was into bitcoin a long long long time ago when it was a new thing ( no i am not rich from it ), i was a faucet and referral program whore. Back then i did not understand anything about bitcoin and was paranoid about using the same address in two places so every faucet with an affiliate program i signed up for i used a different address. I recently found that old laptop with a ton of addresses on it and low and behold i had about a half a bitcoin sitting there after 3 days of sync time with the network. Not to mention, since i got back into bitcoin i am still a referral program whore although i learned not to use a different address with all of them recently i still made a ton before january. I am still getting payments from faucets from 3 years ago as recently as 2 days ago so i do not want to just forget about the addresses. SUMMARY: i just need a place to import all these addresses and forget about them. I need a loud audible sound to notify on coins received as i have no idea how secure i was back then and dont want to leave coins sitting in possible compromised addresses.

Then you complained about Bitcoin QT misbehaving with many addresses loaded (which means you have >100k loaded in it),  and here you're talking about millions.

I guess too would have a hard time explaining how being a "faucet and referral program whore" results in needing to scan 100k-1m+ addresses, and what use audible alerts were in relation to old inactive addresses of yours…

Incidentally, the private key of the first address in your list is

5HpHagT65TZzG1PH3CSu63k8DbpvD8s5ip4nEB3kEtHwQJ6fmT7

and the second

5HpHagT65TZzG1PH3CSu63k8DbpvD8s5ip4nEB3kEsz591qCUVs

And anyone who thinks a bit about how I know that will probably share my conclusion that you're a fool and a wanna-be thief.  Buzz off.

I'd educate you on precisely why your moronic approach isn't going to net you any coins, but it's probably better for the world if you continue to remain in the dark until your moral character catches up with your typing ability.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 12:00:07 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2014, 01:20:24 AM by Peter R

etc....
etc....
etc.....

and the second

And anyone who thinks a bit about how I know that will probably share my conclusion that you're a fool and a wanna-be thief.  Buzz off.

Nice sleuthing Greg.  Perhaps he hopes to try all the private keys starting from zero lol.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
The Ferox (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 12:41:18 AM

Oh yes, that must be it, i must be lacking in 5th grade math enough to not understand that the probability of finding 1 in 115792089237316195423570985008687907852837564279074904382605163141518161494337 is astronomically impossible.

Or

i must have missed the trillion threads that point out the obvious that generating 115792089237316195423570985008687907852837564279074904382605163141518161494337 64 charecter hex strings one at a time even with the most powerful computer on the planet would take about 5 million lifetimes

Or

i missed the million threads that again state the obvious that even if i could generate 115792089237316195423570985008687907852837564279074904382605163141518161494337 private keys, there are not enough Hard Drives on the planet to store the 115792089237316195423570985008687907852837564279074904382605163141518161494337 X 32 bites of data.

Or

Maybe i missed that someone published a few hundred trillion private keys on a website (directory.io) and that of ALL of them it did not amount to 1% of all possible keys, and not a single key he published contained a balance or for that matter, will ever in our lifetimes. But myself, with my little 4.2g 8 core processor on a 6 month old desktop thought i could do better. HuhHuhHuh?

Or...
Or.......
Or.........

Now your all $@#ing idiots and cannot wrap your heads around maybe someone has a few million addresses they want to monitor for a pet project. and coincidentally they are smart enough to know that "cracking bitcoin" is IMPOSSIBLE as stated about a billion times since October of 2013.

Me, i'm in for the last one, your all idiots who read waaaaaaaay to much into crap as you are part of a community which was founded on and surrounded by thief's, scam artists, conn's and other nefarious types and it has since become your single train of thought in life that everyone who wants anything to do with bitcoin is up to something bad (except yourselves of course, your the only one who has good intentions ). You should do yourself a favor and sell all your bitcoin and run away as fast as you can before it melts what little bit of a brain you have left. 

Summary, your effin insane and bitcoin has melted your mind, and furthermore, someone with your mentality, the mentality of not being able to ask "hey, what do you need to check the balances of a few million addresses for?" before you automatically not only assume, but accuse a person of being a wanna be theif, is the perfect display of why there is no way in hell you should be a moderator.
The Ferox (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 12:43:15 AM

Thats an awful lot of very defensive text without any explanation at all. I've encountered inept brainwallet crackers multiple times who had the laughable strategy of attempting a key and querying bc.i for its balance, until they rapidly find themselves banned, then they show up on the forum or chat asking a question a lot like yours— a way to query a lot of addresses.  Especially when they're asking about querying at a scale compariable to or larger than the number of addresses with spendable coins in existence in total.

In any case— I didn't say _you_ were attempting to do this,  I asked what you were doing and pointed out what my past experience is with the question (so that you might be aware of the kind of speculation your question might inspire).

Generally if you're seeking help it's advisable to describe what you're actually trying to accomplish so that people with experience can point you to the best solution— often when you've found yourself in an unsolvable rut it's because you took a wrong turn a few steps back, and are now headed down a blind ally—  and only asking complete questions can save you.

quoted for reference, by the way thanks for the trust rating about something you know jack shit about based on your wild assumptions. what a troll. 
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 12:44:33 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2014, 01:17:18 AM by gmaxwell

Maybe i missed that someone published a few hundred trillion private keys on a website (directory.io) and that of ALL of them it did not amount to 1% of all possible keys, and not a single key he published contained a balance or for that matter, will ever in our lifetimes. But myself, with my little 4.2g 8 core processor on a 6 month old desktop thought i could do better. HuhHuhHuh?
Actually that website 'publishes' all of them.

Now your all $@#ing idiots and cannot wrap your heads around maybe someone has a few million addresses they want to monitor for a pet project.
And for all those words, you still can't seem to explain what you're doing... Or why I knew the private keys for the addresses in your example. The tantrum is not making you any more convincing.

[Edit: Incidentally, there is no point in crapping up the thread with "quoted for reference" posts, I can delete or edit every post here.]
[Though, of course, I have no reason to do so, I'm completely comfortable with what I've written, much more so than you seem to be with your own position, which you continue to leave with the not-all-that-mystifying lack of justification— I'm just pointing out the quoting is a waste of space.]
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:55:38 AM

a) There is not a big problem to parse the whole blockchain, get ALL addresses ( both p2pkh and p2sh ) used from the beginning of bitcoin epoch with their balances. There are ~40-45 mln addresses right now, so the database will be 1-2gb - suitable for any modern computer

b) There is not a big problem to connect to bitcoin network, parse blocks and transactions and keep this database up-to-day (up-to-block to be correct)

Is there any way to check the balance of a ton of addresses by simply copying and pasting them into an input field.

pseudo-code:
Code:
foreach ( address of ton_addresses )
  if ( db.exists ( address ) )
    balance += db.balance ( address )

There is a problem that such tool is absolutely useless and can be made only for fun.
No one will spend significant time to create and run this.
But... You may ask somebody to write such program for you. I think that 20...50 BTC is reasonable price.

and the second
And anyone who thinks a bit about how I know that will probably share my conclusion that you're a fool and a wanna-be thief.  Buzz off.
May be he just found d.io site?
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 07:51:00 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2014, 08:07:01 AM by gmaxwell

May be he just found d.io site?
Sure, then in a totally unrelated sequence events sought a client that could import keys and beep when it received a transaction, claiming to have thousands of faucet keys from long ago he needed monitoring.

Then, again unrelated, his bitcoin-qt was falling over because it had so many keys loaded (which in my experience doesn't even happen at 100k keys).

Then totally unrelated his next question was software to check the balances of millions of addresses (when only a couple million in total have balances, but like totally they're all his), and his examples by complete and total coincidence happened to be keys one might have copied from d.io.

Then I asked what he was actually trying to achieve, because I'm totally evil and not because I noticed his repeated failure to make yak shaving progress, and also in passing ask if he was trying to crack keys— again because I'm an abusive moderator and not because I've seen people on many occasion ask a similar sequence of questions when they were and don't care to spend my time helping people rip people off in the Bitcoin community, and totally not because I'd noticed that his posts were inconsistent.

Then when he flipped out, wisely offending me— because I am totally not someone who could just hand him his answer directly or quickly cross compile some tool for his OS—, while also managing to provide zero information to explain what he was doing, both making himself look suspicious and failing to provide the required information so that other people could help him achieve his goals... and the fact that I was able to guess the private keys for his example pubkeys (which he ranted that he couldn't possibly be trying to crack because he'd have to know the private keys for them— it's really just my own idiocy why I can't understand how an import function that requires you to have the private keys doesn't imply that he has the private keys), this was all coincidence and in no way suggested his (still unspecified) goals were actually evil.

In reality there is some totally harmless and legitimate reason that he needs a programming free solution to monitor more addresses than are currently being used for funds in the whole network, beep when they receive them, while working with insanely low value near sequential private keys, while asking questions that mislead about his ultimate goals (and getting answers that are poor fits: Bitcoin-qt is an acceptable way to monitor thousands of addresses, not millions), and he can't disclose this reason because my puny mind is totally too small to contain an understanding. So the fact that I might suspect some foul play here is entirely my own fault and I deserve a heap of abuse for it.

Yea, you're right. That must totally be what happened here. Tongue
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 08:07:32 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2014, 08:26:58 AM by amaclin

his (still unspecified) goals were actually evil.

We have to thank S.N. for the bitcoin technology, which allows us to have a consensus even with evils (if the number of them wouldn't >=51%).
OK, does he really want to empty the Pacific Ocean with a pipette? I can sell him a couple.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 06:52:36 PM

Roll Eyes

As for you...

I friggen love you man. ( in a non-homo kind of way)

Uhm yeah....

Here is the PM I got, I will answer this in public.

You sir are a genius on a million different levels and i cannot thank you enough for your piece of software. I have not been able to get it to work yet.

Not sure what the problem is, its just a very simple jar file.

i have about a million addresses i want to check and i dont think it will handle that many, but i will get it figured out soon. I just wanted to write and express my gratitude to you for even attempting such a thing.

No it wont. It might accept 1 million lines, not sure about that, I never had to work with Java on that scale. I actually never had to work with anything on that scale. Anyway the bc.i API will certainly ban you. I dont see any personal use in checking a million addresses. Care to tell me why do you need to check so many? This code is definitly not company ready and I was under the impression that you are a person that wants to check the balance of your own address without the need of a wallet. E.g. to watch the balance of your paperwallets or something like that. Thats basically the extent what you can do with it. Put in a couple of addresses, run it and be happy that your paperwallets are still loaded. I probably understood the "a ton of" wrong in your first post.

Edit: I probably should have read the OP more carefully...  Angry

I had thought about going a similar route myself by installing the insight-api to run locally then try and write either a ruby or php application to do the same thing as i am sure waking up every morning and checking the balance on a million addresses will get my IP banned from blockchain.info rather quickly so i thought it would be best to host the info locally.

Yes, this would be an option. This would however require you to follow DannyHamiltons advice and build a database, so my few lines of Java code will not help you there. If you allready have a local database that can just return a "getbalance" request you dont need an external tool that makes these requests.

Do you have skype by chance?

No, I actually get a bad feeling every time someone asks me whether I have skype. Call it personal experience.

while on my adventure of building a java interface to work with the insight-api i might run across some things i might have questions about, i do not know java myself but started learning it about 3 days ago, so as a newb to it all it would be nice to have someone who is knowledgeable about it that i can go to for things that stump me. kind of like a mentor as i try to figure it all out.

After I read this thread Id rather not help you. 1 Million keys is -as was argued allready by others above- not personal use. I have no idea what you are trying to do here and I honestly do not want to know.

The way you reacted [1] on gmaxwell's question make me not want to work with you, not even in the very unlikely case that you are indeed looking for an employee and need this for your very good running bussiness that legitematly has 1 million addresses (e.g. 1 for each customer) to track.

Enjoy the rest of your life.

[1] see my 1st quote as well as this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=739699.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 07:27:06 PM

The only way to do this, is by indexing the blockchain into some database. Note, this will consume a lot of space.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 07:27:23 PM

not want to work with you, not even in the very unlikely case that you are indeed looking for an employee and need this for your very good running bussiness

Why are you so angry?  Grin
It has bad manners, but the main problem not in it
He does not know math  Undecided
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: