Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:25:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to keep your bitcoins secure if you suddenly disappear (jail or prison)  (Read 16953 times)
solitude (OP)

Activity: 674
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:19:11 PM

up

Hardly anyone speaks English on this forum.
Get.BTC.Now

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

★☆★ dont let others hurt your sk

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 01:16:25 PM

RAR 5+ with 100% recovery record. Store. Encrypted.

Cool.. Can you explain it more?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 04:25:36 AM

Well you could transfer them to a brain wallet, that is safe - meaning the passphrase really is complex - that way only you can access the coins, whatever happens. They could take your computer and everything.. Your coins would be safe. Another method would be memorizing an Electrum seed!
I like the idea of memorizing your seed. The issue with this however is that it is not guaranteed that electrum would be around when you get out of jail so you would risk that your private keys would permanently be lost.

This really only leaves using a brain wallet. This is really the only way that you can be sure that your bitcoin is safe, assuming that you are able to use a sufficiently secure pass phrase.

I actually solved that problem of electrum not being around by writing a stand alone python script.
Anyone can use it and copy it.  you can find it here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=612143.0

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 02:36:49 AM

How safe are your butts if you suddenly got lasso'd up and thrown in the slammer?

All your computer equipment is now (hopefully) in your families possession.

Cloud storage will likely vanish or just auto-delete after one or two years of no logins

wat do

Emboss them on stainless steel strips.  

This machine is DYMO M1011, basically pretty much obsolete - but not for this job.

Put copies of the strips in a container, put container in safe locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRWEJfUFdOg

here is the machine and the tapes from the mft's website, but old ones are for sale on ebay.

http://www.dymo.com/SearchDisplay?pageSize=12&pageView=list&catalogId=10551&facet=ads_f16001_ntk_cs%3A%22ind-embossing-non-adhesive-stainless-steel-tag-1-2-in%22&beginIndex=0&langId=-1&storeId=20051

http://www.dymo.com/en-US/view-all-labels/dymo-embosser-labels/dymo-embosser-labels/ind-embossing-non-adhesive-stainless-steel-tag-1-2-in
solitude (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 12:29:25 AM

babby's first bitcoin

btcduke

Activity: 70

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 12:39:55 AM

Give the backup of btc address to your wife/husband or the people who you trust  completely.

little tiger

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 03:54:39 AM

why don't you just sell it?or tell someone you trusted to hold it.but i recommend you store in bank.
Just Magicmann

Activity: 377
Merit: 250

https://keybase.io/magicmann

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2014, 04:56:40 AM

It's simple:
Keep your private key stored on an NFC tag implanted in your hand. Duh.

https://dangerousthings.com/shop/xnt-ntag216-2x12mm-glass-tag/

Don't deal with me until I verify with Keybase.io.
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 01:09:29 PM

It's simple:

I see issues...

Car accident, lost limb
Infection, illness, death
Airport scanners
xrays

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
Just Magicmann

Activity: 377
Merit: 250

https://keybase.io/magicmann

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2014, 10:09:41 PM

It's simple:

I see issues...

Car accident, lost limb
Airport scanners
xrays

Firstly, how likely is it that you're going to lose your hand? Secondly, if you die, you can't use your bitcoin anyways. Third, airport scanners don't erase data. Forth, why does it matter if people know it's in your hand if it's encrypted? It's not like they're going to cut it out of your hand unless you're some form of international terrorist.

Don't deal with me until I verify with Keybase.io.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 11:23:10 PM

It's simple:

I see issues...

Car accident, lost limb
Airport scanners
xrays

Yes issue, Johnny dies.
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 02:19:21 AM

It's simple:

I see issues...

Car accident, lost limb
Airport scanners
xrays

Firstly, how likely is it that you're going to lose your hand? Secondly, if you die, you can't use your bitcoin anyways. Third, airport scanners don't erase data. Forth, why does it matter if people know it's in your hand if it's encrypted? It's not like they're going to cut it out of your hand unless you're some form of international terrorist.

1. not likely but it is a risk
2. i am married, wife will need to know about my bitcoins anyway so why store in my dead hand
3. airport scanners aren't going to erase data, but my nfc will show up and i am then exposed to the govt and their endless questions about what i have stuffed in my ass or hand or whatever
4. xrays, well the last thing i want is a russian kidnapping my ass, finding out i have an nfc stuffed up me somewhere and me convincing them not to cut off my appendage because it is encrypted and i will never reveal my secret bip blah blah blah

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
solitude (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 02:37:22 AM

If Hitler were alive today he'd listen to Slayer and have at least half of his savings in bitcoin

TheLoser

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 06:56:27 AM

Create your own black hole key encryption. whatever the hell that means.
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 07:01:33 AM

Just keep it in your secret email and dropbox. You will forget on how to get back your wallet if you make it too complicated...
unexecuted

Activity: 175

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 07:08:20 AM

A tattoo is a good idea, it's just the suggested location that might not work tking into account that it's prison you're going to (if you're pretty enough).
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 07:20:05 AM

Holy shit! How did this become a NSFW thread? I opened this up on a city bus and the woman sitting next to me moved to another seat. LOL

OP opens the thread depicting a Zionist White House conspiracy with Hitler standing two rows behind Ronald Reagan. You may already be an accomplice Undecided

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
solitude (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 10:10:10 PM

Holy shit! How did this become a NSFW thread? I opened this up on a city bus and the woman sitting next to me moved to another seat. LOL

OP opens the thread depicting a Zionist White House conspiracy with Hitler standing two rows behind Ronald Reagan. You may already be an accomplice Undecided

Baghead

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 10:36:46 PM

Why bother going to the trouble and going threw the worry about will you be able to get your Bitcoins when/if you get out of your fema camp. Give your coins to somebody you love, but i guess you thought about that>?? Greedy then you should get a (uv tattoo) randomised only you know will do the trick. Personally a family member would have mine.
El Emperador

Activity: 658

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 02:12:48 PM

GreenAddress online wallet: https://greenaddress.it/en/
You gotta keep in mind your mnemonic ( 12 words ) and pin ( 4 numbers ) but it's enough to recover your funds when you go out of jail.

Or use Electrum in a similar way. You download the wallet, keep in mind your passphrase ( seed ) and then delete the wallet from your PC.

Any paper sheet and any hardware support like HD or USB drive could be seized by your government, so your brain ( remembering seeds or mnemonic ) is the safest place to store your Bitcoins... In this case if they wanna know your passphrase they have to break your head in two...  Grin

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████