Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:57:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Acrylic Case for BFL Singles  (Read 1965 times)
xDGDZEx (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 08:15:10 PM

As the rest of my singles are due to arrive soon, I am contemplating the issue of where exactly I am going to put them. I would eventually like to have them on their own computer (Raspberry Pi or a small Atom HTPC), but for now they will have to be in my room attached to my main rig. Now, even though they are quiet and don't produce as much heat as GPUs, even a couple are enough to raise the temperature of my room too much for my liking.

So I'm trying to devise an enclosure for them. My best idea as of now is making a cube (2 layers stacked on top of each other) or a rectangle (1 layer) out of clear acrylic and putting peel and stick soundproofing on the inside. Then drilling holes in the back for a usb and power pass through, as well as holes on the top and bottom for ventilation.

Does anyone have any ideas to make something like this? I want to really think it through before making it. I was even thinking about using flexible dryer vent pipe to route cool air in from outside and hot air back out.

Let's discuss.  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ELT

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 10:34:10 PM

I would, if I had the money to get more than one atm, would design my case as such, under the assumption that they move air in one direction. Tier the case such that they always pull in cold air and exhaust warm air.  Sort of like how I current push in on top of the cards and pull the warm air out and dispense of it outside.

So outer case, top level will be empty space and will have direct air flow into the singles, the next level will house the singles and pipe the hot air somewhere else.

I hope that made anysense.

ELT
xDGDZEx (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 10:47:31 PM

That does make sense, but I was thinking pull cold air in from the bottom, and exhaust it out the top. Mostly because that's the direction of the air flow that the Single's fans create. Also, hot air rises, so I was thinking that it would be more efficient.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 11:44:57 PM

Why use acrylic if you are going to be using sound dampener material.  You will just be looking at the glue side.  Maybe try aluminum?

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
shackleford

Activity: 281
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 11:50:48 PM

As the rest of my singles are due to arrive soon, I am contemplating the issue of where exactly I am going to put them. I would eventually like to have them on their own computer (Raspberry Pi or a small Atom HTPC), but for now they will have to be in my room attached to my main rig. Now, even though they are quiet and don't produce as much heat as GPUs, even a couple are enough to raise the temperature of my room too much for my liking.

So I'm trying to devise an enclosure for them. My best idea as of now is making a cube (2 layers stacked on top of each other) or a rectangle (1 layer) out of clear acrylic and putting peel and stick soundproofing on the inside. Then drilling holes in the back for a usb and power pass through, as well as holes on the top and bottom for ventilation.

Does anyone have any ideas to make something like this? I want to really think it through before making it. I was even thinking about using flexible dryer vent pipe to route cool air in from outside and hot air back out.

Let's discuss.  Grin

I am working on something similar with acrylic (dam that stuff is expensive)... plan is to put 4 cards (not BFL's) in a single enclosure with an internal 4port USB and internal 1-4  power spliter. Just got my cards so I can make proper mesurments. Will be ordering my acrylic tonight probably.
shackleford

Activity: 281
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 11:55:49 PM

Why use acrylic if you are going to be using sound dampener material.  You will just be looking at the glue side.  Maybe try aluminum?

Agreed Acrylic makes no sense for this.
xDGDZEx (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 11:57:45 PM

Well acrylic does come in solid colors you know  Grin. Mostly it's because I thought the aesthetics plus the light weight and ease of assembly (drilling, gluing, etc) made it the best choice
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 01:42:44 AM

That does make sense, but I was thinking pull cold air in from the bottom, and exhaust it out the top. Mostly because that's the direction of the air flow that the Single's fans create. Also, hot air rises, so I was thinking that it would be more efficient.
Unfortunately, the singles pull in the air at the middle and exhaust it out the top and the bottom. However if you removed the boards from the enclosures, you might be able to optimize the cooling to better suit your application.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
xDGDZEx (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 05:20:11 AM

Tongue you are totally right. But a bottom to top airflow couldn't hurt.
ELT

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 05:16:15 AM

Ya, that makes sense either way works, but sectioning off the air flows would help a lot and prevent watsing fan energy just to recirculate hot air.
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 04:31:12 AM

Just grab yourself one of these, they move massive amounts of air. Would easily cool everything you drop in there.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-portable-ventilator-97762.html

guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 04:55:31 AM

Just grab yourself one of these, they move massive amounts of air. Would easily cool everything you drop in there.

+1

one of those, and some flextube to run it out the window and you're good. If still it's too hot, I'd get 2 and enclose the whole batch in their own box, with intake & outtake. (or the air conditioning if outside temps are hot)

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 01:16:10 PM

+1

one of those, and some flextube to run it out the window and you're good. If still it's too hot, I'd get 2 and enclose the whole batch in their own box, with intake & outtake. (or the air conditioning if outside temps are hot)
Ahaha, besides the fact that it uses 165 watts which is the same as 2 singles Roll Eyes Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
guruvan

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 01:29:59 PM

you just need more singles to make it cost effective Grin

Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 08:55:10 PM

Unfortunately, the singles pull in the air at the middle and exhaust it out the top and the bottom. However if you removed the boards from the enclosures, you might be able to optimize the cooling to better suit your application.

Yes, the currently shipping Rev2 Singles pull cold air in from the sides and exhaust it out the top AND bottom. Of course it is possible to change the orientation of one or both fans if desired, or take the side/top covers off. Not sure how that will affect cooling ... they seem to be sensitive to temperature (I believe BFL stated 72F is safe for full-speed operation) and are prone to throttling if they get too hot.

I don't know if the Rev3 design will continue to use 2 fans; BFL may make an alteration in the enclosure and do away with the bottom fan altogether.

As far as noise, I've heard conflicting reports. A Rev2 Single uses two 2400RPM 92mm case fans running full speed. I'm not sure anyone can honestly describe a 2400RPM fan using the word 'quiet'. I have similar fans and, in my experience, these are quite noisy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: