Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:30:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We do not have a gun culture problem, we have a culture problem.  (Read 5235 times)
FreedomCoin (OP)

Activity: 675
Merit: 507

Freedom to choose

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:16:12 PM

With so many mass shootings here in America and abroad, many are quick to say banning of certain firearms is the right way to approach this issue. Though where you find heavy control on firearms you find higher levels of stabbings, death by hammers and clubbings.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/01/03/FBI-More-People-Killed-With-Hammers-and-Clubs-Each-Year-Than-With-Rifles

Then when you look deep into the mass shootings you often find these active shooters were on, or got off shortly ago psychoactive synthetic pharmaceutical drugs.

http://www.ssristories.org/

http://www.sott.net/article/279716-Nearly-every-mass-shooting-in-the-last-20-years-shares-one-thing-in-common-and-it-isnt-weapons

Funny how the media almost never makes those correlations.

IMO: These pharmaceuticals affect peoples brains much more than what we currently understand with science, and society thinks we can help the sick by just prescribing them these new drugs (created in the last 50 years.) But then wonder why people lose their mind.

bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:18:54 PM

Anything the government cannot control is a problem for them. I tend to agree, it's a cultural problem - our culture is a big promoter of violence we find it everywhere tv, movies, games, music etc - but always in a positive sense. The gun violence also happens in the government (police) level, so we cannot simply separate them and say "the people owning guns are the problem".

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:21:09 PM

With so many mass shootings here in America and abroad, many are quick to say banning of certain firearms is the right way to approach this issue. Though where you find heavy control on firearms you find higher levels of stabbings, death by hammers and clubbings.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/01/03/FBI-More-People-Killed-With-Hammers-and-Clubs-Each-Year-Than-With-Rifles

Then when you look deep into the mass shootings you often find these active shooters were on, or got off shortly ago psychoactive synthetic pharmaceutical drugs.

http://www.sott.net/article/279716-Nearly-every-mass-shooting-in-the-last-20-years-shares-one-thing-in-common-and-it-isnt-weapons

IMO: These pharmaceuticals affect peoples brains much more than what we currently understand with science, and society thinks we can help the sick by just prescribing them these new drugs (created in the last 50 years.) But then wonder why people lose their mind.
The correlation with the pharmaceuticals has been known more than a year, but it still does not get talked about.  Obviously, it is a narrative that conflicts with the desired narrative of the Left.  

Sooner or later there will be a major lawsuit against these pharmaceutical companies for not coming clean about the possible effects of using their products.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 12:34:37 PM

This is something I've noticed doctors have been trying to point out, something pushed these guys over the edge and the mixture of being hopped up on drugs and not being treated right would do that to anyone nevermind people who have mental problems to begin with. Good luck ever getting anyone in America to admit that though, they conveniently ignore the fact that Canada and Switzerland have just about as many guns as the Americans do but you very rarely if at all hear about people going on a rampage with them.

In fact, minus the compulsory national service, I think that the Swiss way is the way to go, if you want to go and buy a gun or have a rifle, you've got to do some kind of proper training first, these 'accidents' I've seen people list as a blame against firearms are caused by people doing things I would never do with a firearm and I don't even own one or know how to take it apart properly!
FreedomCoin (OP)

Activity: 675
Merit: 507

Freedom to choose

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 12:42:14 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 02:09:51 PM by FreedomCoin

This is something I've noticed doctors have been trying to point out, something pushed these guys over the edge and the mixture of being hopped up on drugs and not being treated right would do that to anyone nevermind people who have mental problems to begin with. Good luck ever getting anyone in America to admit that though, they conveniently ignore the fact that Canada and Switzerland have just about as many guns as the Americans do but you very rarely if at all hear about people going on a rampage with them.

In fact, minus the compulsory national service, I think that the Swiss way is the way to go, if you want to go and buy a gun or have a rifle, you've got to do some kind of proper training first, these 'accidents' I've seen people list as a blame against firearms are caused by people doing things I would never do with a firearm and I don't even own one or know how to take it apart properly!

I wonder what percentage of their population are subscribed psych drugs, compared to America.

I agree with you on training, to get a hunting license here in the US you have to take a hunters safety course, with that comes proper gun handling. The teachers state in that course that most hunting accidents are due to people that have never taken the course, though they may be promoting their classes. But have a point that proper gun handling can really cut down on accidents.

Sooner or later there will be a major lawsuit against these pharmaceutical companies for not coming clean about the possible effects of using their products.

I think that did happen with some statin drugs. Not soo much psych drugs...

Anything the government cannot control is a problem for them. I tend to agree, it's a cultural problem - our culture is a big promoter of violence we find it everywhere tv, movies, games, music etc - but always in a positive sense. The gun violence also happens in the government (police) level, so we cannot simply separate them and say "the people owning guns are the problem".

isnt it ironic that the people that are suppose to protect and serve, are the ones with unregulated violence in many cases.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 02:36:21 PM

That is a pretty enlightened view point from someone I would traditionally disagree with. As a libertarian I am pro gun but I can also see the value of proper instruction in the use and storage of firearms. I would not advocate mandating it at the federal level, but states and municipalities can certainly invoke such requirements. 

Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:34:43 PM

That is a pretty enlightened view point from someone I would traditionally disagree with. As a libertarian I am pro gun but I can also see the value of proper instruction in the use and storage of firearms. I would not advocate mandating it at the federal level, but states and municipalities can certainly invoke such requirements. 

Nearly Every Mass Shooting In The Last 20 Years Shares One Thing In Common, & It’s NOT Weapons
http://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/every-mass-shooting-in-the-last-20-years-shares-psychotropic-drugs/#axzz3ANs9LxgU

Could Prescription Meds Result in Gun Confiscation?
http://www.livescience.com/28617-prescription-meds-gun-control.html

Obama VA Is Trolling Veteran Community For Gun Owners

Dear Veteran:

The James E. Van Zandt VA Medial Center is extending the opportunity to request free gun locks to the Veterans we serve. We are providing this opportunity because, as your partner in health care, we are committed to keeping you and your family safe. We selected you for this mailing to Veterans simply because you have an upcoming appointment at our facility.

If you own a gun, we hope you will request and use a gun lock. As a Veteran, you already know about the importance of firearm safety. We encourage you to talk about gun safety with family members, loved ones, and close friends.

If you would like up to four free gun locks for personal use, please indicate how many you would like on the enclosed postcard, include your name and address, and return the postcard. When we receive your request we will mail the requested number of gun lock to the address you provide.

http://www.progressivestoday.com/obama-va-trolling-veteran-community-for-gun-owners/

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:43:10 PM

This is a good thread.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:53:23 PM

If I gave you a gun would you shoot your family with it? I'm guessing very, very few would do that. So why do we think preventing law abiding citizens from carrying a gun will stop the violence? Now if someone said yes to my question, and would indeed shoot his family because he is mentally ill or a violent psychopath; why would we think that making a rule is going to stop him?

Our gun laws make no sense. They assume that good people will turn bad if they have a gun and that bad people will obey rules. In my experience this could not be more wrong.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:10:06 PM

Also where there are heavy controls on firearms, you see criminals with PISTOLS commiting the most gun offenses that injure and kill people. Baseball bats are also regularly used as well as knives. For the most part so called "assault rifles" are not used almost ever in any gun shootings. Infact, using those types of rounds of ammunition to kill someone is not as effective as a pistol is. Hollow point bullets are designed to expand like a pancake insdie of someone. "assault rifles" us bullets that penetrate people and go through them making a small hole. If you really wanted to commit mass murder, using a glock 9mm with a 100 round drum would be way more effective and easier to maneuver with than using an "assault rifle".
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:19:08 PM

I agree with this title.
Compare USA with Canada, for example.
In Canada there is no ''gun culture'' like in USA.
Result: Less violence and crime than in USA.
In USA people are ''brainwashed'' that they must have guns in order to protect themselves.
In reality is other way around, more violence, more crime and very unsafe living for average people.
Guns are not the part of solution but part of the problem.
So, something must be changed in USA before situation become worst.
USA need culture of ''peace'' not violence.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:39:48 PM

Also where there are heavy controls on firearms, you see criminals with PISTOLS commiting the most gun offenses that injure and kill people. Baseball bats are also regularly used as well as knives. For the most part so called "assault rifles" are not used almost ever in any gun shootings. Infact, using those types of rounds of ammunition to kill someone is not as effective as a pistol is. Hollow point bullets are designed to expand like a pancake insdie of someone. "assault rifles" us bullets that penetrate people and go through them making a small hole. If you really wanted to commit mass murder, using a glock 9mm with a 100 round drum would be way more effective and easier to maneuver with than using an "assault rifle".

Almost every sentence is wrong except the bolded section.

I was joking with a friend a while back, the only real use of a pistol is to take some rifles away from their owners.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:41:18 PM

I agree with this title.
Compare USA with Canada, for example.
In Canada there is no ''gun culture'' like in USA.
Result: Less violence and crime than in USA.
In USA people are ''brainwashed'' that they must have guns in order to protect themselves.
In reality is other way around, more violence, more crime and very unsafe living for average people.
Guns are not the part of solution but part of the problem.
So, something must be changed in USA before situation become worst.
USA need culture of ''peace'' not violence.

Most of this is untrue.  There is no "gun culture " in the USA.  There are many different cultures in the USA and areas, some places guns are useful and increase safety, some they are unnecessary.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:43:42 PM

If I gave you a gun would you shoot your family with it? I'm guessing very, very few would do that. So why do we think preventing law abiding citizens from carrying a gun will stop the violence? Now if someone said yes to my question, and would indeed shoot his family because he is mentally ill or a violent psychopath; why would we think that making a rule is going to stop him?

Our gun laws make no sense. They assume that good people will turn bad if they have a gun and that bad people will obey rules. In my experience this could not be more wrong.
Another part of this is the question, I believe unanswered, as to whether someone with mental illness controlled by psychoactive medical, who would be inclined to go on a rampage if taken off the medication, would similarly go on a rampage if he did not have guns available, and what the differences would be.
DavidHume

Activity: 235
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:45:49 PM

Nearly Every Mass Shooting In The Last 20 Years Shares One Thing In Common, & It’s NOT Weapons
http://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/every-mass-shooting-in-the-last-20-years-shares-psychotropic-drugs/#axzz3ANs9LxgU

Could Prescription Meds Result in Gun Confiscation?
http://www.livescience.com/28617-prescription-meds-gun-control.html

Obama VA Is Trolling Veteran Community For Gun Owners

Dear Veteran:

The James E. Van Zandt VA Medial Center is extending the opportunity to request free gun locks to the Veterans we serve. We are providing this opportunity because, as your partner in health care, we are committed to keeping you and your family safe. We selected you for this mailing to Veterans simply because you have an upcoming appointment at our facility.

If you own a gun, we hope you will request and use a gun lock. As a Veteran, you already know about the importance of firearm safety. We encourage you to talk about gun safety with family members, loved ones, and close friends.

If you would like up to four free gun locks for personal use, please indicate how many you would like on the enclosed postcard, include your name and address, and return the postcard. When we receive your request we will mail the requested number of gun lock to the address you provide.

http://www.progressivestoday.com/obama-va-trolling-veteran-community-for-gun-owners/

Correlation is not Caucasian.

Those killers might kill whether they take drug or not.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:50:01 PM

i disagree. there are crazies in america, and they are often the ones who do the public shooting, but there's also a gun culture problem.. only in america do we have this many gun nuts and gun-related deaths. guns are rooted in american culture.

people from other westernized countries have lots of their own mentally unstable people, so why don't they have as many mass shootings?
Cranky4u

Activity: 810

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 12:19:39 AM

The US has a very high proportion of prescribed meds when compared to the majority of western nations. I believe there is a good correlation between prescribed meds and gun violence.

As to why the general US public require assualt weapons in urban environments, or even for farming, is beyond me. In Australia, assault weapons & semi-automatics are banned. If you want to go hunting (Kangaroo, Deer, Goat, Water Buffallo or even Crocodiles) then you have access to bolt action rifles which means you need to be a well trained shot not some hill billy that sprays and prays.

So I come back to the US issue being one of culture, the desire to have fully automatic assault weapons and destabalising psychotropic drugs being over prescribed resulting in people whom loose the plot and have access to military grade weapons.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 12:59:11 AM

The US has a very high proportion of prescribed meds when compared to the majority of western nations. I believe there is a good correlation between prescribed meds and gun violence.

As to why the general US public require assualt weapons in urban environments, or even for farming, is beyond me. In Australia, assault weapons & semi-automatics are banned. If you want to go hunting (Kangaroo, Deer, Goat, Water Buffallo or even Crocodiles) then you have access to bolt action rifles which means you need to be a well trained shot not some hill billy that sprays and prays.

So I come back to the US issue being one of culture, the desire to have fully automatic assault weapons and destabalising psychotropic drugs being over prescribed resulting in people whom loose the plot and have access to military grade weapons.
First, the US public does not "require assault weapons."  As you note, hunting activities are quite well served by bolt action rifles.  There are no hunters who spray and pray, as game scatters quickly.  There is only time for one shot, in my experience.

The exceptions to this would be what we consider dangerous animals, like wild pigs.  These come at you and come after you, and you had better have some serious firepower.  Large caliber pistol, eg, Dirty Harry's gun, comes to mind.  And this is essentially a self defense problem, not hunting per se.

Very few people in the US desire "fully automatic assault weapons".  Semi automatic, such as the Glock in handhelds, and modern rifles, are likely what you meant to say.  There are to my knowledge no cases of "fully automatic" weapons being used in crime in the USA, unless you literally go back to the 1920-1930s prohibition era, "Machine Gun Kelly", etc.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 01:01:20 AM

Correlation is not Caucasian.

Those killers might kill whether they take drug or not.

There are several aspects of this which could be split apart using statistical techniques and causation could I think be established.

Not so sure about Caucasian....
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 01:02:14 AM

i disagree. there are crazies in america, and they are often the ones who do the public shooting, but there's also a gun culture problem.. only in america do we have this many gun nuts and gun-related deaths. guns are rooted in american culture.

people from other westernized countries have lots of their own mentally unstable people, so why don't they have as many mass shootings?

Because they take care of them far better, never thought I'd be defending our own fucking health care system LOL!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: