Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:59:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rand Paul: We Must Demilitarize the Police  (Read 2245 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:24:54 PM

Anyone who thinks that race does not skew the application of criminal justice in this country is just not paying close enough attention. And the root of the problem is big government.

The shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown is an awful tragedy that continues to send shockwaves through the community of Ferguson, Missouri and across the nation.

If I had been told to get out of the street as a teenager, there would have been a distinct possibility that I might have smarted off. But, I wouldn’t have expected to be shot.

The outrage in Ferguson is understandable—though there is never an excuse for rioting or looting. There is a legitimate role for the police to keep the peace, but there should be a difference between a police response and a military response.

The images and scenes we continue to see in Ferguson resemble war more than traditional police action.

Much more...http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/

For the international crowd, the first part of this article is describing the recent police shooting of an unarmed 18yr old black person that was subsequently followed up by looting by out of towners and has been making the press big time.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:48:33 PM

Look at the weapons.. dear mother of god when the USD collapses..... We are so screwed...  Perhaps I really should move to New Zeland.
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:54:07 PM

Yes, this what happened is tragedy, everybody agree with this.
But, I don't agree with this statement:
Anyone who thinks that race does not skew the application of criminal justice in this country is just not paying close enough attention. And the root of the problem is big government.
In my opinion, based on my experience while living in USA, root of this problem is in long history of slavery and oppression of blacks in America, not because of big government.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:59:30 PM

Look at the weapons.. dear mother of god when the USD collapses..... We are so screwed...  Perhaps I really should move to New Zeland.

If you look only at the image, you would think it is the military. But of course, "police" is written on the signs.
When USD collapses, we are very screwed - unfortunately there do not seem to be plans from the government, perhaps the plan is world war 3.  Huh

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 07:22:03 PM

Look at the weapons.. dear mother of god when the USD collapses..... We are so screwed...  Perhaps I really should move to New Zeland.

If you look only at the image, you would think it is the military. But of course, "police" is written on the signs.
When USD collapses, we are very screwed - unfortunately there do not seem to be plans from the government, perhaps the plan is world war 3.  Huh

there is a large shortage of ammo.. because apparently government bought a bunch of the stock. the more ammo they have means the less commonfolk have. they will be ready.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:16:17 PM

When everyone and their mothers can have rifles what would you expect?

For the police the street is a battle zone...

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:04:45 PM

IF that were true, these men would not be standing totally exposed.  They are in a formation designed to prevent unarmed civilians from going past them, by lethal force if necessary.  That is why their weapons are on display, so to speak.  And that is why they are on display.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 09:11:20 PM

If they could, and it was, they'd be cannon fodder with those "battle" tactics.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:17:01 PM

Only when they turn it into one... When everyone and their mothers can have a rifle, then the criminals must be fearful of everyone and their mothers...

The police need to be very careful not to take on the appearance of a "public enemy" because the public will be more powerful than the police force could ever hope to be. I'm actually glad the police forces have these weapons and vehicles; the police operate on a local level; they would be turned allies of the people in a Revolution (should one ever occur) and those would be valuable assets. However, the use of these weapons and vehicles will be very critical for the public appearance and attitude. The more aggressive they become, the closer they slide the scale towards becoming public enemies and the more unsafe their jobs become...

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:28:39 PM

Only when they turn it into one... When everyone and their mothers can have a rifle, then the criminals must be fearful of everyone and their mothers...

No, the criminals get more violent and even bigger guns and so does the police, and someone profits a lot from this cycle of violence.

The optimal amount of guns in a society is zero.

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:43:32 PM

In my opinion, based on my experience while living in USA, root of this problem is in long history of slavery and oppression of blacks in America, not because of big government.

Yup, big or small government, USA has been oppressing natives, blacks, anyone who didn't come over in the western european colonial wave for centuries.  Surely this is more relevant than big or small government.  Small towns with small governments in USA also have skewed application of criminal justice.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 10:42:24 PM

No, the criminals get more violent and even bigger guns and so does the police, and someone profits a lot from this cycle of violence.

Sure, if everyone was genetically modified to Kryptonian DNA.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
beetcoin

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 10:45:17 PM

crime rates and murder/homicide rates are down.. despite the widening gap between the wealthy and the poor. the only thing that can explain that to me is a police state to clean up the mess. also, you can also help the prison industry make more money by locking up as many minorities as you can. all to keep the taxpayers "safe."
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:14:42 AM

Yup, big or small government, USA has been oppressing natives, blacks, anyone who didn't come over in the western european colonial wave for centuries.  Surely this is more relevant than big or small government.  Small towns with small governments in USA also have skewed application of criminal justice.

The US oppresses anyone not in the ruling class or financial aristocracy. Race and racism chargers are now used as a weapon against anyone that disagrees with the powers that be. The real division in this country is rich and poor. Once we all realize that maybe some real change will happen. 

beetcoin

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:30:32 AM

The US oppresses anyone not in the ruling class or financial aristocracy. Race and racism chargers are now used as a weapon against anyone that disagrees with the powers that be. The real division in this country is rich and poor. Once we all realize that maybe some real change will happen. 

you realize that there's a huge imbalance between the rich and poor, and one ethnic group is part of the rich, while a few minorities consist of the poorer ones right?
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:58:28 AM

Yup, big or small government, USA has been oppressing natives, blacks, anyone who didn't come over in the western european colonial wave for centuries.  Surely this is more relevant than big or small government.  Small towns with small governments in USA also have skewed application of criminal justice.

you realize that there's a huge imbalance between the rich and poor, and one ethnic group is part of the rich, while a few minorities consist of the poorer ones right?

I do. I simply prefer they be given the dignity of not being political pawns for the ruling class or their partisan supporters.

wenben

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 07:58:39 AM

Yup, big or small government, USA has been oppressing natives, blacks, anyone who didn't come over in the western european colonial wave for centuries.  Surely this is more relevant than big or small government.  Small towns with small governments in USA also have skewed application of criminal justice.

I do. I simply prefer they be given the dignity of not being political pawns for the ruling class or their partisan supporters.

Better live as a well-fed dog than a street dog where you need to fight over other dogs for leftover.
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 01:56:16 AM

A bullet fired from a .22 is just as lethal as one fired from a 30-06 when well placed. Bigger guns mean they are more expensive to fire and offer a slightly larger kill zone on a human body... The fact is, all guns are lethal. A criminal with a big gun who faces down a citizen with a small one is no better off for it, neither are police...

If you're looking for something to fear... Check out Chemistry or study Physics; you can't take danger out of life when you exist in a Universe of destructive energy...

Remove guns and you create a power vacuum to be filled with other forms of deadly tools and knowledge. Guns offer a level field and provide an opportunity for survival. In that dreaded moment when only one person will emerge alive, at least having a gun will offer the physically weaker person a fighting chance at being that survivor...

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2014, 02:22:23 AM

Most gunshot wounds are survivable, not lethal.

Even suicides attempted with a gun, where you'd think the person could completely control all variables, are not 100% successful.

Satan666

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

The love of fiat is the root of all good

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 02:34:01 AM

Just another pandering politician.  Rand Paul would be singing a different tune if that were his business being looted and burned to the ground.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: