Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:57:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: People wonder why I don't take their advice.  (Read 2072 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 08:42:54 AM

Let me sum up the average man's life for you:

>man goes to college
>man works his ass off
>man gets middle class job that he finds boring as sin
>man gets married
>man gets three kids and a dog
>man eventually pays off his massive student loan debt by working nights and weekends.
>man gains 50 lbs
>man's wife loses interest in him
>man loses wife, kids, and house in one year
>man drinks himself to death wondering what he did wrong

Why the hell should I listen to the status quo when it's usually ending up like this? Fuck listening to society. Fuck listening to your elders. Fuck the status quo.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 09:17:07 AM

That's no way to talk about your Dad.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 09:44:39 AM

That's no way to talk about your Dad.
+1

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 09:51:17 AM

lets sum up your life:
>been born into to a alcoholic family.
>annoys everyone, and thinks you are a much more important then everyone else.
>can not hold on to an identity for more then a few mouths(atlas or what you are called).
>thinks you are gonna change the world, by messing with the authoritys.
>being shot dead at the age of 20, because you did some political terrorism, like Breivik or Merah.
>or commits suicide, because the world sucks.

have a happy life.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 01:35:52 PM

I can't imagine anyone single under the age of 25 spending more than 30 minutes a day on the computer. How long does it take to email someone about a date? Life is too short.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 04:36:17 PM

I can't imagine anyone single under the age of 25 spending more than 30 minutes a day on the computer. How long does it take to email someone about a date? Life is too short.

I'm guessing you also imagine people under the age of 25 having cars and disposable incomes?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 07:46:33 PM

This is a weird opinion.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2012, 07:52:44 PM

Let me sum up the average man's life for you:

>man goes to college
>man works his ass off
>man gets middle class job that he finds boring as sin
>man gets married
>man gets three kids and a dog
>man eventually pays off his massive student loan debt by working nights and weekends.
>man gains 50 lbs
>man's wife loses interest in him
>man loses wife, kids, and house in one year
>man drinks himself to death wondering what he did wrong

Why the hell should I listen to the status quo when it's usually ending up like this? Fuck listening to society. Fuck listening to your elders. Fuck the status quo.

I think you may be working under some false assumptions based on television and movie portrayals of "the working man."

I'll be 40 next year and I don't know a single person that fits the above description.

Still around.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 08:46:43 PM

The divorce rate has never been higher. Single-female parenthood is at an all-time high as well.

You know good people who know how to get along in the world, edd. From the groups I've visited and people I met, a good portion of first-world society is having it really rough.

The reasons -- I'll discuss at a better time. It seems my original post insulted half the forum, heh.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2012, 08:52:02 PM

The divorce rate has never been higher. Single-female parenthood is at an all-time high as well.

You know good people who know how to get along in the world, edd. From the groups I've visited and people I met, a good portion of first-world society is having it really rough.

The reasons -- I'll discuss at a better time. It seems my original post insulted half the forum, heh.

I'm not saying the people I know are all successful, happy, and in fulfilling relationships. You just posted a list of some very specific characteristics and I was pointing out that it does not apply, as a whole (or even a significant portion of it), to anyone I know.

Still around.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 08:56:04 PM

Quite frankly, I stole the quotes from some Anon on 4chan. I thought it was funny. Really, the OP is just me having my typical dark sense of humor.

Anyways, I have failed to make a clear point it seems.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 09:02:27 PM

While you may be far noisier than I ever was, your philosophy reminds me a lot of mine when I was younger.  There is some truth to your statements, but you're a bit over the top in assigning the worst of the world to the "status quo".  There really is a lot of good out there, but it takes more effort to see it.

I don't normally do this since a naive interpretation can lead you astray, but for you I will recommend you study the Yoga Sutras.  http://swamij.com/yoga-sutras-narrative.htm is an excellent read.  But, I'll warn you: if you get to the point (like I did) that you feel everything is perfect and doing the right thing takes no effort, check yourself before you wreck yourself.  If you do wreck yourself, you'll learn vastly more, but the biggest lesson you'll come out with is that sometimes not knowing really is better.

"Learning to unlearn is the highest form of learning."
- Swami Jnaneshvara

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 09:19:58 PM

I'm very familiar with Buddhist philosophy. I accept everything as-is but I still prefer certain things. I am a nihilist of course, so there is nothing inherently right or wrong. In the end, whatever pleases me is what I do.

I'll read this narrative for sure.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

I'm very familiar with Buddhist philosophy. I accept everything as-is but I still prefer certain things. I am a nihilist of course, so there is nothing inherently right or wrong. In the end, whatever pleases me is what I do.

Doesn't that make you a Hedonist rather than a Nihilist?

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 10:37:24 PM

Nihilism is simply realizing that there is no objective reality outside the human experience. Beyond that, anything goes. A hedonist would say all men should aim for pleasure. I do not.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 10:42:58 PM

Nihilism is simply realizing that there is no objective reality outside the human experience. Beyond that, anything goes. A hedonist would say all men should aim for pleasure. I do not.

So if a tree falls and nobody is around, it doesn't make a sound?

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 10:57:32 PM

If an individual percieves it as such.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 11:30:09 PM

But nobody is around... so no perception occurred by a human.

But if there is no noise, why does the deer jump and run off?  Or are you counting the deer as an "individual" who is part of the "human experience"?

I know you're going to say "but how do you know the deer jumped if nobody was around?".  To this I would say, I don't know, but that doesn't negate the reality of the situation.  Unknown != Unreal.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 11:44:39 PM

But if there is no noise, why does the deer jump and run off?  Or are you counting the deer as an "individual" who is part of the "human experience"?

I know you're going to say "but how do you know the deer jumped if nobody was around?".  To this I would say, I don't know, but that doesn't negate the reality of the situation.  Unknown != Unreal.

Reality is merely a perception, even the entities that are obscured.

There is no reality. There is only you. There is only your perceptions. Everything is a perception. Everything, in essence, is you. We are you. You are we. We are perceptions. You are your perception.

Getting me?

notme
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 11:47:19 PM

But if there is no noise, why does the deer jump and run off?  Or are you counting the deer as an "individual" who is part of the "human experience"?

I know you're going to say "but how do you know the deer jumped if nobody was around?".  To this I would say, I don't know, but that doesn't negate the reality of the situation.  Unknown != Unreal.

Reality is merely a perception, even the entities that are obscured.

There is no reality. There is only you. There is only your perceptions. Everything is a perception. Everything, in essence, is you. We are you. You are we. We are perceptions.

Getting me?

I get you, but trust me when I say you're just using rhetoric to avoid really facing the big questions.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: