Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 03:39:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ALL coins dead 15 minute warning !  (Read 2874 times)
ProGamer

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:00:00 PM

While the OP may be crazy. A CME/solar flare could be disastrous to a crypto currency. We should safeguard against this.
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:07:27 PM

In a world without electronics, even gold would become a worthless commodity.

I'm stocking up on tinned beans. Currency of the future.

Really ? why would gold be worthless ?
I always assumed it would be the go to currency when fiat fails..

And USB drives etc NOT safe ?
hmm ? if they don't have active power i thought they would maybe be ok but i am not sure.

This problem is a key reason why i think digital currencies could never take over and we will always need a fiat or something.
What i see released for Altcoins does not suit a no electricity situation.. all that i have seen would be rendered useless pretty much.

PS: I loved that picture and thanks for the replies serious or not.. i loved them both funny and informative / insightful.

And this is not a new thought i had.. i have thought this all along and talked about it in Crypto before.
some guys may want to reconsider having TOO MUCH invested in altcoins considering they are reliant on electricity.

I don't see this as paranoia as more a clock ticking until it happens again and last time with New York we in North America got lucky..
And since then we have expanded our reliance on electricity AND satellites by leaps and bounds (since 1991)
There is lots of other threats that could hit us like a gamma ray burst etc..
But when it comes to the most probable and highly likely to happen some time soon the biggest concern for me of them all is a CME.

edit:
I don't want people to think i am a nutjob or trolling !
I like conspiracy talk stuff but i find most of it bs.
Like there is a lot more dangers i was just trying to say but their time scales are today or in a 100+ years etc
I sure as hell don't think we will have to wait 100 years for a CME they do in fact his us a lot.. and it's a very real and active threat.
The only panic mongering NASA does is about CME's for example they don't warn the public about ANYTHING else.
So if you can't take the world scientists and NASA giving you a LOUD warning then who will you all take a warning from then ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:13:50 PM

hmm ? if they don't have active power i thought they would maybe be ok but i am not sure.

I guess that any electronics exposed to an EMP would be fried for good.
garmin

Activity: 550
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:50:18 PM

I guess that any electronics exposed to an EMP would be fried for good.

Could be an up side to it, any mortgages or other debt could be erased also. I suspect that very little backup tape/ SAN storage is stored in a EMP safe zone. Would be awe-full hard to restore everything from Paper archives.

Zeroing things out could be awesome!  Grin First rule of fight club...
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:56:56 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2014, 09:38:22 PM by conspirosphere.tk

Zeroing things out could be awesome!  Grin

maybe, if you keep your coins in a paper wallet.
Cortex7

Activity: 238
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 09:49:15 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2014, 10:06:55 PM by Cortex7

Very nice read on the subject:

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

I just Faraday wrapped my portable shortwave radio and Geiger counter. (Orange Alert Cheesy)

Many people severely underestimate the need for information in any kind of a disaster.  In recent examples of long-term disasters (such as the breakdown of civilization in the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s), many people actually died while undertaking risky activities in order to obtain information.

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 10:15:51 PM

ALL coins dead 15 minute warning !

'Earth will have 15 minutes to protect electronics'

WASHINGTON – Scientists around the globe are joining those in the United States in becoming alarmed at the possibility of a plasma cloud from a solar superstorm that could wipe out vast electronics networks, because they say Earth would have only a notice of about 15 minutes

This will "knock out" all digital currencies and it could happen right now !

not "if" but when..

and the reality is most people will never even see the 15 minute warning.

also i brought this up on cryptsy chat before a couple times because i want people to be prepared even if they all laugh it off.
ya might as well get prepared before it's too late people !

FTFY

"simple faraday cage"

https://www.google.com.au/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=simple+farday+cage&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=2DLvU-LoNomE8Qeq3YGYDw#channel=fs&q=simple+faraday+cage&spell=1

You can't Faraday cage the huge machines needed to the energy production and transmission, neither the places from the internet core, etc...
And I guess transmissers and receivers won't work inside a faraday jail.

So you will have your computer intact, but it will be useless because all the electricity infraestructure will be compromissed
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 03:11:19 PM

I've read that if one removes the cord from a microwave oven it can be used as a faraday cage.

There's some skepticism about that; some preppers who looked into it think it might not work all that well. But then again, they're perfectionists.

Smiley

Perfectionists with good reason but it's kind of like plugging the dam with your pinky. If our planet absorbed emp's on a widespread scale, whether from the sun or nukes 10 miles up,... cryptocurrency will be the least of our problems.

Imagine every hospital going dark. + All refrigeration failing at once. + All safety systems at nuclear facilities failing. I'm sure you all can come up with 100 or 1000 more items to add to the list.

At least two books have gone into that in great detail:

"One Second After"
http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765356864

"Lights Out"
http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David-Crawford/dp/0615427359/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=13885XW988WSKR2CXTWD

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

FiniteRed

Activity: 346
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:14:50 PM

tinned beans to the mooooooon!  Grin

[G]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ] ~ [ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[ ]-[H]
Cortex7

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 04:39:45 PM

Those damned pyramid building Egyptians, their habitual phone texting delayed the pyramids by ~10 years.
Caesar V

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:25:51 PM

Spoetnik you big retard, how boring this community will be without you.
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 06:41:32 PM

Don't forget the precious metals brass and lead. Wink

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

jersey19957

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:01:25 PM

That would be scary. Poor Nakamoto. Imagine if all his coins went to 0  Cry
JohnnyBTCSeed

Activity: 882

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:09:04 PM

The sun is not what you think. In fact is it is getting weaker again not stronger.

The sun is transforming from another dimension.  ( Is the sun hollow? YES, 2:50)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOcCTbrd1zU

meet Eric Dollard the only person alive to recreate lost tesla tech
http://ericpdollard.com/
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 07:16:34 PM

Wouldn't a coin be revived as soon as 1 person ran the client again and started to mine?
Then again, after such a storm there would be a rush among people to start their clients. In such a scenario that is.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:36:13 PM

Wouldn't a coin be revived as soon as 1 person ran the client again and started to mine?
Then again, after such a storm there would be a rush among people to start their clients. In such a scenario that is.

Yes! with most of the wallets lost and electronics fried it would be 2009 all over again!
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:48:17 PM

this !

you my friend schooled me on "clever" LOL

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:01:44 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2014, 07:02:28 AM by Spoetnik

Spoetnik you big retard, how boring this community will be without you.

do you seriously and honestly think the threat is nothing to worry about ?
wow .
why do you think NASA mentions this all the time ? Flat out your screwed they say ?

When you call me a retard for saying this your calling the entire worlds scientists and NASA and other Space Agencies etc RETARDS !
Who in gods name do you think i heard this from in the first place ?

I think humanity is doomed and it's because of people like you who refuse to take serious problems seriously
because it threatens your comfort zone or something..

I love saying i told you so and i get to do it lot but when it's this big of a problem i just feel sorry for people :/

Priorities..
It's a well known fact that since the last time this ALREADY happened and knocked out a massive chunk of the power grid
nothing has been done to protect the system in place.. and with NASA saying for 10 or 20 straight year or something
that that it's a matter of "when" not "if" then what guys ? Are you gambling that it's unlikely to happen anytime soon ?
It's so remote of a possibility it's not even worth looking at improving the North American electrical grid ?
You want to know what "Retarded" is  Caesar V ?
Knowing about a threat that could decimate our society and doing nothing to even warn people never mind making plans to improve the situation..
Retard is calling the guy warning you a retard when one could hit us right now !

If most of North America losses it's satellites and power grid we're screwed from an infrastructure stand point and this is not retard talk this is a fact.
If the power isn't put back on i estimate by the time the shelves are emptied in ransacked super markets we're ultra fucked !
There is too many people to start hunting for deer in the woods or something.

And hey let's not do anything about it and better yet lets not even talk about it and even better if anyone does lets call them a retard !
and hey EVEN better yet lets make endless new digital currencies 1,000's of them that all rely on electricity to function..
pure brilliance  Roll Eyes

Cortex7

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:16:44 PM

I agree that from a "risk assesment" perspective then large EM event could devestate bitcoin, wiping out alot of coin, only cold wallets saved.

So even if the chances of it happening are small, it is still a large risk because the ramifications are so high.

But seriously, what could be done to protect against it?

All that we could possibly do is minimise coin loss by having everyone physically store their private key data, this would maximise recovery attempts after EMP.

If only a few people had large cold wallets then their value would drop to near zero after EMP even if the network was re-established, because not enough people hold coin anymore.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 08:23:16 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2014, 08:44:03 PM by mymenace

We could get hit by an asteroid tomorrow. This is a real possibility look it up.

But don't worry this threat has been attacking the earth from the dawn of time

Be prepared for any loss of data I have been told regardless of an emp, solar flare, etc etc

dont worry about your coins and the reliance on electricity,

1) all currency runs on electricity and will be hurt to some degree if this happens

2) electricity (and/or alternate energy sources) is the new mining source, instead of a gold mines you have data mining - relying on electricity as the source/mine

Grin
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: