Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:38:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Disconnecting - Losing Money, Help - 1.5 BTC Reward  (Read 4257 times)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 10:18:08 AM

Ok really noob question here, but it has 4 ethernet ports right, I have more than 4 PCs that need to be connected, how exactly do I go about that? .. so how do I connect up a second network switch, say an 8 or 16 port gigabit switch

A hub/switch connected to 1 of those ethernet ports, maybe?
But it has wi-fi... I don't even use the ethernet ports, so I can't tell you exactly how to do it.
Now an even noobier question from me: How do you connect all those PC's to a single 3g modem that doesn't even have a single ethernet port?

its plugged into my main PC, and its set to share to allow all users on network to use it, main pc is connected to switch via ethernet

Same principle, then. But I'm 99% sure that you can connect the switch directly to the router port instead of your computer. Smiley
Maybe someone can chime in and say it with 100% certainty Smiley

Answer here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/31442-how-to-add-ports-to-a-router

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lightspeed (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 10:40:19 AM

Ok really noob question here, but it has 4 ethernet ports right, I have more than 4 PCs that need to be connected, how exactly do I go about that? .. so how do I connect up a second network switch, say an 8 or 16 port gigabit switch

But it has wi-fi... I don't even use the ethernet ports, so I can't tell you exactly how to do it.
Now an even noobier question from me: How do you connect all those PC's to a single 3g modem that doesn't even have a single ethernet port?

its plugged into my main PC, and its set to share to allow all users on network to use it, main pc is connected to switch via ethernet

Same principle, then. But I'm 99% sure that you can connect the switch directly to the router port instead of your computer. Smiley

Answer here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/31442-how-to-add-ports-to-a-router

It's as easy as pie then, ok. If everyone is happy I'll give 1 BTC to the first person who suggested the netgear hardware and then divide the last .5 among the others who helped answer networking questions etc. I think the hardware solution is what i'll go with.

Overclocking = money? Greatest full time hobby ever!
1AR2eheP4nckS3tuzZHG6ARYndeddxmeDg
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 10:47:20 AM

It's as easy as pie then, ok. If everyone is happy I'll give 1 BTC to the first person who suggested the netgear hardware and then divide the last .5 among the others who helped answer networking questions etc. I think the hardware solution is what i'll go with.

Did you even attempt the modem settings solution ? That is the proper way to do what you wanted, or was it to much effort to atleast try those steps?

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 10:48:02 AM
Last edit: March 27, 2012, 11:05:21 AM by psy

I should add that I advised the netgear because it's exactly what I use and I'm very satisfied with it. There are other similar routers, ofcourse Smiley

EDIT: So, Clipse, the proper way is to have a computer spending resources and electricity 24/7 to share an internet connection?
Can I laugh at you without you getting pissed? Roll Eyes

EDIT II:
These are my results in a low 3g coverage area. And when I mean low I mean that I can't make a video call from my cell phone because the nearest cell tower is 10Km away on a straight line :/
Clipse

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 11:01:36 AM

I should add that I advised the netgear because it's exactly what I use and I'm very satisfied with it. There are other similar routers, ofcourse Smiley

EDIT: So, Clipse, the proper way is to have a computer spending resources and electricity 24/7 to share an internet connection?

Do you want a chocolate to go with those emotions? Its a USB 3G modem that he uses atm, so without buying new hardware he could still use the USB 3G modem and have it reconnect correctly. Nowhere did he say that computer hosting the 3G connection isnt on anyhow and used for other things.

So can I laugh at you thinking that throwing money at a solution that can be fixed for free is the best solution?

Did you think before you typed the previous response or was it just random brainfarts turned into keystrokes.

PS. I dont want his coins, my advise which works is free but I guess you really want that 1.5BTC to buy yourself new solutions?

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3507

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 11:10:53 AM

my 3G USB modem is on my HTPC, which is on 24/7 anyway, even before mining with it with a 6770. I use ICS to share and have a 5 port gigabit switch on it, with a wireless router (DHCP off) hooked to that for wireless devices. so if his machine is mining or otherwise on 24/7...

BTW with my verizon usb 720 the number is obviously different in the modem settings setup (#777). its set to dial when needed, redial when dropped, and allow other machines to control it. it works great. been running that way more or less 24/7 for 5 years now.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 11:16:43 AM

Whatever dude. You can keep the chocolate. It seems you need it to treat that depression of yours.

The man asked for solutions and chose the one he thought was best for him, with or without spending money.
And he gets to have his 3g shared over wi-fi as a plus. Or should he use an ad-hoc network when he needs the wi-fi to connect his tablet/laptop, if he has one of those ofcourse, only because that's the "free" way to do it?

Vapourminer, I loved how you left out the part where internet sharing spends computer resources not only electricity...
Resuming, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. And yes, my solution is superior, even in costs Tongue

Also, OP, keep the bitcoin. Don't want to offend the butthurt folks by accepting it.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3507

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 11:21:21 AM

Vapourminer, I loved how you left out the part where internet sharing spends computer resources not only electricity...

um.. like what?

CPU use is 1% while mining and sharing. what resources.  100k RAM? a USB port?

lulz

he has the switch already. why spend 100 bucks when he doesnt need to?

Clipse

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 11:25:21 AM

Whatever dude. You can keep the chocolate. It seems you need it to treat that depression of yours.

The man asked for solutions and chose the one he thought was best for him, with or without spending money.
And he gets to have his 3g shared over wi-fi as a plus. Or should he use an ad-hoc network when he needs the wi-fi to connect his tablet/laptop, if he has one of those ofcourse, only because that's the "free" way to do it?

Resuming, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. And yes, my solution is superior, even in costs Tongue

Also, OP, keep the bitcoin. Don't want to offend the butthurt folks by accepting it.

LoL

You somehow turned this into some contest, I asked if he tested my solution and then you somehow turned that into a cockfight.

I envy you and all your other personalities,hah.

PS. Just to have you respond in anger again, your solution is not better in cost, it would work out alot more for a new 3G unit than simply using a computer to share the current unit he allready have, Rebuttle.. Rebuttle..

PSS. OP please send psy the bitcoins, he clearly needs it by looking at his judgement of buying unneccesary shit when the current solution is free.

hardpick

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

Football President

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 02:16:58 AM

just buy a switch at msy.com.au

plug switch to any port on 3g device to any port on the switch
all the switch does is give you more port to plug  in  more pc/or printers/any ethernet cable- device  /  eg tv
luke
jarsumarsu
Donator

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 08:06:13 AM

hello everyone,

I have a 1.5 BTC reward up for grabs to whomever can help solve my internet woes

First up, I am mining on a 3G mobile broadband connection. The place I am living in has no phoneline, but it has fixed electricity @ $10 a fortnight (hehe) so I am quite happy to stay

The problem is that I go to bed and wake up to find that all my hardware is offline, the single point of failure being a lost connection

I have considered an alarm on disconnect but honestly, i'd rather not be woken up every night along with waking up the neighbours with a blarring alarm (loud speakers)
*clip*

If the problem still exists,
try mwconn http://mwconn.net/info.html
This program pings automatically and keeps the 3G connection up.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 12:14:24 AM

If you have no luck w/ solutions that have been given here. I can write an autoit script for ya that will do it when connection drops. PM if ya need it.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Beaflag VonRathburg

Activity: 472
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 02:45:32 AM

The answer to your problems is called MBRN3000 by Netgear.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/3g-mobile/mbrn3000.aspx

I own one and my 3g stays up sometimes for 2-3weeks in a row. In fact it goes down most of time because I disconnect the router to take with me when I need to go out for a couple days or so.
$100 well spent, I'll tell you that.

You can send the 1.5 BTC to the address in my signature Cheesy

I honestly wish I would of know about this before I went through the whole massive effort of having internet run to my house. This would have been much easier with some of my spare old phones and cheaper per month.

aaa801

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 01:09:09 PM

Does the usb device support dialup protocol
if so you should make a dialup profile and set it as the default connection
windows should then autoconnect on lost connection

http://screensnapr.com/v/xJrI3R.jpg

LTC: LUUikznZrvDb65ZCNQUNCiTaCB4CWGYRSZ
BTC: 1325TrScK8jkiPuMEMxNf1VXHHfnR1QtgN
Pages: « 1 [2]  All