Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:03:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First attempt at mining: Raspberry Pi + 1 Antminer U2  (Read 6075 times)
Fieel (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2014, 08:06:34 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 10:49:07 AM by Fieel

Hello! I've been reading about mining and i really wanted to try it out, not for profit reasons but as an hobby and obviously to help the network  Grin Grin

Finally two days ago my setup got completed and now everything is running fine. I wanted to open a thread and keep it updated whenever i change something on my "mining rig"  Smiley

Now, the rig fits only a single USB Miner, an Antminer U2 that's mining ~2Gh/s at the moment. I'm planning on adding more miners as soon as i have money to throw on it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:33:40 AM

great. there is a bounty for running ras pi with S1, which is using bitmain chip, check this out>

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671128.0
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 04:28:15 AM

Nice hobby I hope to have this one  Wink

guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 04:42:38 AM

Great way to get into mining. Even though a single miner like that won't make much, it's still a great start!
Axiste

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 07:54:44 AM

I got into mining a few months ago with a single Antminer U1, plugged into my windows server with bfgminer...

Now I have an RPi with the same U1, 10 Gridseed Mini's, and an Antminer S1 as well... not likely to ROI any of it.. but if prices go up, might be cool.

If my advice has helped you out, feel free to throw some Satoshi's my way!
BTC: 1Nq7hrRDamdnNiTBaFxEn5DuZYS9kD3tbJ
Running a Full Node Smiley
EasyMiners

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 08:17:19 AM

It's really good deal. Bully for you! Wink
Fieel (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 10:42:13 AM

great. there is a bounty for running ras pi with S1, which is using bitmain chip, check this out>

Thank you, gonna check it out later, interesting stuff  Shocked

Great way to get into mining. Even though a single miner like that won't make much, it's still a great start!

Nice hobby I hope to have this one  Wink

Thank you guys!

knightdk: I followed a simple guide, if one day you want to try it out yourself here you go: https://antminers.co.uk/antminer-u1-u2-raspberry-pi-setup-guide/

I got into mining a few months ago with a single Antminer U1, plugged into my windows server with bfgminer...

Now I have an RPi with the same U1, 10 Gridseed Mini's, and an Antminer S1 as well... not likely to ROI any of it.. but if prices go up, might be cool.

Really? Sound really cool, i was wondering how does the Pi works well with Gridseeds and Antimers like the S1, S2 or S3? Thank you Cheesy

Also, i'll leave here some screenshots from the web interface of Minepeon:

Ammount i made in two days of mining with a single USB Antimer U2:
https://i.imgur.com/WcU6ZaWl.png

Antminer U2 stats
https://i.imgur.com/HgSLDT7l.png

General graphs
https://i.imgur.com/cblKWbpl.png
Axiste

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:35:35 AM

Works with the Gridseeds just as easily as your U2+. Once you start mixing other ASIC's it can get complicated (Eg the U1 + 10x Gridseeds on the same RPi)

The S1 runs on its own seperately, however it can use the RPi as a proxy, usefull if you have multiple S1's and want to be able to switch pools without having to login to each seperately.

If my advice has helped you out, feel free to throw some Satoshi's my way!
BTC: 1Nq7hrRDamdnNiTBaFxEn5DuZYS9kD3tbJ
Running a Full Node Smiley
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 01:00:17 PM

Thank you, gonna check it out later, interesting stuff  Shocked

Nice hobby I hope to have this one  Wink

Thank you guys!

knightdk: I followed a simple guide, if one day you want to try it out yourself here you go: https://antminers.co.uk/antminer-u1-u2-raspberry-pi-setup-guide/

Really? Sound really cool, i was wondering how does the Pi works well with Gridseeds and Antimers like the S1, S2 or S3? Thank you Cheesy

Also, i'll leave here some screenshots from the web interface of Minepeon:

Ammount i made in two days of mining with a single USB Antimer U2:

Antminer U2 stats

General graphs
Welcome to the world of mining!  The rPi is a great little controller.  I use one for some U2s as well.  They work very well with the gridseeds, too.  The other miners you mention: the S1, the S2 and the S3 all are standalone devices.  They have their own controller boards built right in, so you just plug them into your network, power them up and configure them.

If you end up with multiple miners and don't want to configure them all individually, the rPi can be used to run a proxy.  That way, you just point all of your miners to the rPi, and only have to do it once.  From that point, any changes you wish to make (for example, switching pools), you just do on the rPi.

By the way, MinePeon is a great choice.  It provides a lot of useful information in a very easy to read interface.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
CliveK

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 06:26:06 AM

I have an RPi as a controller with a R-Box miner doing about 32Ghash.  I have put on the additional heatsinks on the RPi, just in case (I live in Dubai....it gets hot here).

Hardest part was changing the passwords for the default accounts and adding authentication on accessing the Rockweb web page.  Really don't know why it is so open.

I have read the RPi Model B+ is slightly more power efficient than the straight model B.

Welcome and good luck.
bmoscato

Activity: 361
Merit: 267

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:26:13 PM

This is cool, I have a couple of RPi's laying around that I should mess with.  The only thing that sucks is the price of the U1 and U2 devices, I believe that they are hovering around $16.00...  It would be cool if they were closer to $2.00, then you can actually build a small rig that may turn a profit.

The S1 project is interesting.
Fearless

Activity: 89

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 01:28:55 PM

Great hardware you have. Seems new too.

Mining is a slow and good start. Good luck.
Fieel (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 07:30:05 PM

This is cool, I have a couple of RPi's laying around that I should mess with.  The only thing that sucks is the price of the U1 and U2 devices, I believe that they are hovering around $16.00...  It would be cool if they were closer to $2.00, then you can actually build a small rig that may turn a profit.

The S1 project is interesting.

Yeah, i found people selling them for over 60$, crazy. I don't know the reasons lol. I paid 13$ for mine.

Great hardware you have. Seems new too.

Mining is a slow and good start. Good luck.

Little backstory: The Pi has seen better times to be honest. I used it as a media center until last year, when a friend of mine spilled a whole load of lurid bong water (lol, yes.) over the RPi while it was running and light on. I don't know why but the Pi survived and i had it laying around until i decided to turn it into this project Smiley, i cleaned the Plexiglas case and the Pi the best i could .
khornate

Activity: 67

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 03:49:30 PM

Nice one mate. The Pi is a great little computer for so cheap and hardly uses any power.
cointalent

Activity: 10

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2014, 11:55:53 PM

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to following your progress. Can you share how much you paid in total and how long it took you to setup?
Fieel (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 09:00:57 AM

Hello guys, i'll update soon! It passed more than a year and the miner has continued working almost endlessly, maybe someone is interested in the results and statistics!

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to following your progress. Can you share how much you paid in total and how long it took you to setup?

I had already the raspberry around so i didn't have to buy it, anyways i paid 30$ for it more than two years ago. The USB miner costed 13$ so in total i spent 43$ for this set up! It took a really little time to st up, i just installed Minepeon which is perfect for mining with the Pi, and then started mining. It took less than an hour Smiley

Someone can suggest me how can i find out how much i spent in energy with my Pi so i can create useful statistics?
Inauk

Activity: 23

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 12:27:08 PM

awesome, i was just asking to myselft few days agoo that if this would be possible, now you reply to my question Smiley

now my problem is to get the money to try to do the same, i will take a look at this thread to see how is going on for you with this proyect, keep going on!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 07:23:35 PM

Hello guys, i'll update soon! It passed more than a year and the miner has continued working almost endlessly, maybe someone is interested in the results and statistics!

I had already the raspberry around so i didn't have to buy it, anyways i paid 30$ for it more than two years ago. The USB miner costed 13$ so in total i spent 43$ for this set up! It took a really little time to st up, i just installed Minepeon which is perfect for mining with the Pi, and then started mining. It took less than an hour Smiley

Someone can suggest me how can i find out how much i spent in energy with my Pi so i can create useful statistics?

I would think a kill-a-watt would show it.  But it might be so low it will have problems.  Not sure have not used it on RPI.

RPI's are pretty amazing I have been using one to control Avalon 4.1's it works great on controlling it.   And started using one lately for sidehacks stick's it works great.  I have become a fan of RPI.
Zeroxal

Activity: 896
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:21:15 AM

Very nice to see that new people nowadays start in the mining business:)
Not a moneymaker machine, but still enough to play and experiment with.

How fast is your Internet? I always get problems if I set up my Antminer S3 at home, it sucks all my Internet and I cannot even open up Google.
I have a 16mbps Internet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: