Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:21:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: do bitcoin ATMs really suck this much?  (Read 6423 times)
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 05:20:14 AM

My local ATM does not scan my hand or ask for any government ID.  I strongly suspect, however, that they do take photos.

There was a riot in my area some years ago and the police used sophisticated software to match people in the riot photographs with accounts on Facebook, in order to identify and arrest people.  If the ATM is storing images of its' users then the Police or the Government can cross compare that information with Facebook to find out who is a crypto currency user and/or has not paid their capital gains' tax.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
BANK RUN

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 12:01:05 AM

At least this one seems to suck consistently.

BitAccess ATM have more issues than a 50 years old space shuttle.
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:05:07 AM

My local ATM does not scan my hand or ask for any government ID.  I strongly suspect, however, that they do take photos.

There was a riot in my area some years ago and the police used sophisticated software to match people in the riot photographs with accounts on Facebook, in order to identify and arrest people.  If the ATM is storing images of its' users then the Police or the Government can cross compare that information with Facebook to find out who is a crypto currency user and/or has not paid their capital gains' tax.

r u Canadian ?

cozk

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:08:47 AM

Some people never put a photo on facebook bro....
1ZHs

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:16:04 AM

Looks stupid so much hassle to actually buy it from that ATM I'm not sure that all ATM's require all the information from you though.
it is really not that much of a hassle. The entire process only takes minutes when compared to days/weeks to complete the kyc process at most exchanges and not only that but deposits/withdrawals are instant.
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 01:29:37 AM

Looks stupid so much hassle to actually buy it from that ATM I'm not sure that all ATM's require all the information from you though.
it is really not that much of a hassle. The entire process only takes minutes when compared to days/weeks to complete the kyc process at most exchanges and not only that but deposits/withdrawals are instant.

True, but imo feels like an invasion of privacy and government nanny-ism

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:03:53 AM

Some people never put a photo on facebook bro....

And some people don't have a facebook account or anything like it.  google me and you will find nothing.

For bank KYC they basically ask if you're a terrorist and I don't think they ever received the answer yes Grin  When they asked about my job I said unemployed.  Yes a bank knows your name, address, dl and ss# but it's been that way for a very long time.

Just buy your ATM btc on Halloween Grin Grin
privateKEY

Activity: 9

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:06:36 AM

I don't think this kind of evidence would really hold up in court. This kind of technology is not accurate enough if this is the only evidence against you.
mercistheman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 02:31:46 AM

everything starts off broken, it will get fixed in the future.
This simple statement has a lot of merit... anyone old enough to remember the first PC or Cell phone will attest to the fact that there will need to be multiple levels of improvements on each level b4 there is a sense of transparency and security... don't jump off the boat at the first sign of a wave. 
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 02:34:01 AM

I don't know why the manufactures put this crap on.  Where is the legislation that says you must take a hand print?  Sif hand print is valid anyway.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:07:41 AM

^They aren't explicitly required to take a vein print, but they have to know, pretty absolutely, who they're dealing with in real-time so they don't break draconian AML law in the US (and any other country so backward).

everything starts off broken, it will get fixed in the future.
This simple statement has a lot of merit... anyone old enough to remember the first PC or Cell phone will attest to the fact that there will need to be multiple levels of improvements on each level b4 there is a sense of transparency and security... don't jump off the boat at the first sign of a wave. 
Vein scanning IS the improvement. Undecided The alternative is full KYC, then issuing the customer a card which has to be renewed every so often, which is what the banks do.
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 03:21:27 AM

I used a bitcoin ATM for the 1st time yesterday. It was a Lamassu one and it was so easy to use. 3 steps, push start, scan QR code and insert money, done.
No fingerprint, no eye scan just easy bitcoin purchase they way it should be.

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 04:38:40 AM

Holy shit, talking about raping your identity just to buy. For mainstream adoption, this is actually negative publicity for bitcoin.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 05:45:58 AM

I used a bitcoin ATM for the 1st time yesterday. It was a Lamassu one and it was so easy to use. 3 steps, push start, scan QR code and insert money, done.
No fingerprint, no eye scan just easy bitcoin purchase they way it should be.

The main problem is that the unit makes it easy as heck
But the question is how do they maintain Know Your Client and Anti-Money Laundering compliance on the machine
Government regulations on money service businesses means that it is a giant pain to get it complying or risk getting in trouble with gov.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 06:47:30 AM

I tried the one (also robocoin based) in West Edmonton Mall. I failed the "input confirmation code" step (no cell-phone).

I eventually found a Bitcoin vending machine in a bar that was actually within biking distance. All it wanted was a QR code and money.

I found it amusing that they put in almost exactly $666.
I hope he gets his money back.
~1BTC should be a high-priority transaction within 24 hours (of the taco purchase).

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Varicon

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 06:48:35 AM

Bitcoin ATM's are still new tech, hopefully with time they'll become more competitive and easy to use.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 06:55:20 AM

Bitcoin ATM's are still new tech, hopefully with time they'll become more competitive and easy to use.

Everybody seem to be saying this, but I suspect they will get worse before they get better.

Here are the instructions for using a machine I was not able to find. I believe it was pulled and similar machines are not available simply over regulatory concerns.

Edit: the vending machine I found is smart enough to scan the QR code before asking for money.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:07:17 AM

Everybody seem to be saying this, but I suspect they will get worse before they get better.

Here are the instructions for using a machine I was not able to find. I believe it was pulled and similar machines are not available simply over regulatory concerns.

Edit: the vending machine I found is smart enough to scan the QR code before asking for money.

Well in Canada the issue is over Bill C-31 which requires provisions on virtual currencies like Bitcoin, requiring similar reporting and regulatory standards applied by traditional financial markets. The new law regulates Bitcoin as a “money service business” and specifically addresses dealers in virtual currencies. It is expected to cover Bitcoin exchanges and ATMs.

The amendments make Bitcoin and all digital currencies subject to the requirements currently applicable to money services businesses. Bitcoin exchanges will now be required to register with FINTRAC, report suspicious and other transactions, keep certain records, implement compliance plans, and determine if any of their customers are “politically exposed persons.”

It makes it a major PITA to be compliant with them though a service like idology.com can cost up to 2500 for the year to scan ids and verify users.
Some machines now come with  KYC and AML built in but machines like the Lamassu ATM would need to cover the cost on their own.

Major PITA for a machine to be compliant in a customer-not-present environment.
So taking accounting costs, rental costs, and the compliance aspect their are problems with just getting one out that meets these standards and keeping the costs down.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Leina

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:26:23 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vnm4xFC2xNo

so you have to scan your hand four times, and give them your id...and your phone number...and still pay only with cash? da fuq.

ATM version for kyc and aml compliance.

For definitive ID purpose, they should have ask for sperm rather than hand print.
annoyingorange

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 07:33:26 AM

This is the fault of government regulation. This is what a bitcoin ATM that ignores regulation looks like.
http://instagram.com/p/oGedybhnQF/
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: