Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:37:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How many backup copies have you for the wallet ? (i mean, physical copies like files or paper)
1 copy
2 copies
3 copies
more than 5 copies
The Force keep my copy in my body ! (Brain password wallet = no physical copy)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many backup copies have you for the wallet ?  (Read 2732 times)
Meuh6879 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:05:26 AM

MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:15:09 AM

I have 4 copies in different locations but thats only for my cold storage wallet.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:16:47 AM

I have 4 copies in different locations but thats only for my cold storage wallet.

That is risky, because if one is in the wrong hand, others become useless. I'd prefer to have only one that is well secured.

MakeBelieve

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:20:10 AM

That is risky, because if one is in the wrong hand, others become useless. I'd prefer to have only one that is well secured.

They are all in secure places and I have got that many because of event of fires etc.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:21:39 AM

Depends on the coin, few of no copies, but i have these most valuable backuped on usb key.
MakeBelieve

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:22:54 AM

Depends on the coin, few of no copies, but i have these most valuable backuped on usb key.

is the usb encrypted? I want to look into the possibility of using a encrypted usb.

unpure

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:23:03 AM

Just two copies.

One store as a paper wallet, the other on the usb drive.
DubFX

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:25:44 AM

is the usb encrypted? I want to look into the possibility of using a encrypted usb.
Nope it isn't as i'm not dealing with big ammounts of bitcoins/altcoins at the moment it's summer so i try to have as little stress as possible.
But if you would be going to encrypt it then i recommend truecrypt.
MakeBelieve

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:29:39 AM

Nope it isn't as i'm not dealing with big ammounts of bitcoins/altcoins at the moment it's summer so i try to have as little stress as possible.

Yeah I've looked into it and will probably use truecrypt if I ever decide on using a encrypted usb but I'm worried about hardware failure.

Frijj

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:34:23 AM

Three copies, but I wouldn't keep them on those piece of shit cheap usbs. Buy some decent ones.
MakeBelieve

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:36:50 AM

Three copies, but I wouldn't keep them on those piece of shit cheap usbs. Buy some decent ones.

What do you call decent? If it's plugged into a computer which is infected with a virus or is connected to the internet it's possible the Bitcoin might get stolen no matter how expensive the usb is unless it's encrypted.

DubFX

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:41:43 AM

Yeah I've looked into it and will probably use truecrypt if I ever decide on using a encrypted usb but I'm worried about hardware failure.
Well, it may happen anytime so either buy some of more expensive and durable keys not the cheap ones or/and have an paper wallet and put it into that kind of plastic. 
Predictbtc

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 11:53:39 AM

Yeah, like 2 copies, depends how much bitcoins you have, if you have only few than you wont be making like 5 -7 copies :}
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:01:49 PM

Here's what I recommend for large amounts of coin:

Go on eBay or Amazon or whatever and buy a 5 USB sticks. Should run you like $25. Buy different ones/brands.

Encrypt 3 of them with Truecrypt. Store each in a different location.
Leave 2 unencrypted and store them together in a safe and secure location. Your home is a fine bet, unless you are worried about the government breaking in and stealing your money. However, you can always destroy these in that worst case scenario and still have 3 other options, so you're probably safe keeping the 2 unencrypted USBs at home.

Also, if you have a CD or DVD, toss your private keys on their too. It's a good idea to have more than one type of storage.

Last, but not least: memorize your private key.

NavalStrike

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:05:22 PM

I have only one copy of my wallet and imo that's enough
seandaniel

Activity: 280

Make Love Not War

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 12:08:25 PM

Only have 1 copy because i don't have much btc in my wallet Cheesy
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2014, 12:16:10 PM

They are all in secure places and I have got that many because of event of fires etc.

same here. couple of encrypted usbs. only one copy is not a good choice.

DubFX

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:19:59 PM

You will be crying and blaming yourself later if you will loose your coins Wink
MakeBelieve

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:22:46 PM

same here. couple of encrypted usbs. only one copy is not a good choice.

Finally someone who agrees I think just having one defeats the point of having a backup. It can be easily destroyed by natural disasters and so which often occur in some countries.

Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

You will be crying and blaming yourself later if you will loose your coins Wink
He has 5 posts. Doubt he has very much.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: