Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:39:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which (natural) language should I learn?  (Read 10594 times)
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:42:06 AM
Last edit: March 31, 2012, 03:55:16 AM by 01BTC10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu_-54aB9lo

Even Phil Ivey try to learn french with Montreal hotties! It looks like he really did enjoy his stay!

As an added bonus: most of these hotties also speak english Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 03:49:59 AM

Sandra Bullock speaks German: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzbrztZFCFA
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 11:21:24 AM
Last edit: March 31, 2012, 12:15:29 PM by netrin

The hottest women, even the lowest common denominator, are found in Copenhagen. Unfortunately the Danish language, like German and Dutch, is verbal diarrhea but less smooth. I'd have to give a vote up to the ladies of Montreal and Quebec and the always charming français québécois...

...which sounds a bit like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hJQsvoY6VU

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 01:31:20 PM

The hottest women, even the lowest common denominator, are found in Copenhagen. Unfortunately the Danish language, like German and Dutch, is verbal diarrhea but less smooth. I'd have to give a vote up to the ladies of Montreal and Quebec and the always charming français québécois...

...which sounds a bit like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hJQsvoY6VU

Sure, go ahead and convince theymos that French is the way to go. By next year he'll be able to do stand-up comedy like this: Languages--Eddie Izzard.

~Cackling Bear~
netrin

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:43:58 PM

I advocate learning as many as one can. Neither German nor French should be particularly difficult starting points. Theymos is not likely to get very far with Chinese in a year while remaining on American soil. However, Chinese will help if he intends to learn Japanese later but not much. Except for a handful of characters and old cultural ties, the two languages are quite different (perhaps Japanese is grammatically and lexicographically closer to English than Chinese).

I personally think Germanic languages (which includes English) are ugly. For me the opportunities to speak and the pleasure of the spoken word are most motivating. I speak French and a few Germanic languages, and while not fluent, I enjoy forming words in Spanish more than any other language on Theymos' short list (others being Romanian, Pali/sanskrit, Hausa, any tonal language, and I imagine Khoisan languages).

Given the short timespan and indecision, it might be worth considering the British Foreign Office's categorization from easiest to hardest for native English speakers (diplomats) to learn:

Level 1
Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Swedish, Italian, Portuguese

Level 2
Swahili, Icelandic, Malay, Indonesian, Romanian

Level 3
Finnish, Croatian, Serbian, Latvian, Czech, Hungarian

Level 4
Arabic, Russian, Persian

Level 5
Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Korean

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 04:00:34 PM

I advocate learning as many as one can. Neither German nor French should be particularly difficult starting points. Theymos is not likely to get very far with Chinese in a year while remaining on American soil. However, Chinese will help if he intends to learn Japanese later but not much. Except for a handful of characters and old cultural ties, the two languages are quite different (perhaps Japanese is grammatically and lexicographically closer to English than Chinese).

I personally think Germanic languages (which includes English) are ugly. For me the opportunities to speak and the pleasure of the spoken word are most motivating. I speak French and a few Germanic languages, and while not fluent, I enjoy forming words in Spanish more than any other language on Theymos' short list (others being Romanian, Pali/sanskrit, Hausa, any tonal language, and I imagine Khoisan languages).

Given the short timespan and indecision, it might be worth considering the British Foreign Office's categorization from easiest to hardest for native English speakers (diplomats) to learn:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4
Arabic, Russian, Persian

Level 5

Yay! I know a Level 2 and a Level 5 Language. That makes me a Level 9!  Grin
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 06:22:19 PM

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4
Arabic, Russian, Persian

Level 5

You're such an idiot! 2 and 5 make 8. Aren't you learned?

~Cackling Bear~
netrin

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 09:23:33 PM

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 09:42:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=283sjvDBZMA&feature=related
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 10:33:56 AM

Level 1
Spanish, French, German, ..., Italian,
Level 2
Level 5
... Chinese, ...
Ok so much for Chinese, but no real help on the rest.

My approach runs like this: You need communication partners with whom your one-year-experience in language x is helpful.
German?
Why learning German, whilst already speaking English fluently? Very few german speaking people have less than one year of experience with english (except for the southeastern part of Europe probably).

Italian?
Rarely spoken compared to the others, but if you like Operas ... still one year wouldn´t be of much help.

French?
A bit like Italian, although more widely spread in the world.

Spanish?
Well the last one left and a very good choice, provided you agree on my approach.

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2012, 11:07:59 AM

Bugger! You forgot Switzerland ... although ä klisigs Chuchichäschtli is pretty ununderstandable to any native german.

Anyone who includes (Northern/Eastern) Switzerland as a German-speaking country is completely deluded.

The languages they speak over there are dialects of German that are about as close to real German as Dutch is.

In other words, it's not German at all. Plus each city/valley speaks a different version of the darn thing, to
the point where they have a a hard time even understanding one another within the country.

Yes, they can all understand real German over there, but the moment they'll speak to one another, you won't
have a clue what they're saying, even native Germans speakers don't.

Plus ... if you count language aesthetics as a criteria (some languages sound way worse than others) when
it comes to swiss-german, just one word: ugh. Sounding worse than German is hard, but they somehow pull
it off.

Again, totally unbiased opinion  Grin

You forgot Wallis. It's in the south and is by far the hardest swiss dialect to learn, due in no small part to its inclusion of French, Italian and Romansch. And the fact that as a canton it's mostly a very long and isolated valley and didn't get the "German 2.0" updates that everyone else did in the 1700s.

But by god you guys are such pussies! Wallisertiitsch is the most manly and aggressive language I've ever heard or spoken. Just thinking "huere schiissdrechhhhhh" makes me feel more manly.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 11:17:03 AM

Portuguese for sure, just visit Brazil and decide for yourself.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 11:37:56 AM

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4
Arabic, Russian, Persian

Level 5

~Cackling Bear~

Oops my fault. Should be 6 instead; -1 for lower-then-usual IQ!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2012, 03:52:15 PM

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4
Arabic, Russian, Persian

Level 5

~Cackling Bear~

Oops my fault. Should be 6 instead; -1 for lower-then-usual IQ!

By bad, too. I concur.

~Cackling Bear~
check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 03:47:57 PM

College doesn't offer Navajo?

Yá'át'ééh, E la na tte?
Dinéena bizaad doo shi?
Háadish yah anída'aldah góne'?
Ahéhee', Nizhónígo Nee Ado’ááł.

If you want to try some languages, here are some free courses:
http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php

I vote for Chinese. Guo Tie (gwo-tee-eh) is one of my favorites. No it's not a music artist.
http://mandarintools.com/chardict.html

The first Chinese phrase I learned: Doonay luo mu hi!

The only downside to learning to speak Mandarin is going into Chinese restaraunts and finding they speak Cantonese.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
Kettenmonster

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 09:18:40 PM

More than 70 million germans don´t speak Low German: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOg_8A-Zfn0

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 03:00:38 AM

College doesn't offer Navajo?

Yá'át'ééh, E la na tte?
Dinéena bizaad doo shi?
Háadish yah anída'aldah góne'?
Ahéhee', Nizhónígo Nee Ado’ááł.

If you want to try some languages, here are some free courses:
http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php

I vote for Chinese. Guo Tie (gwo-tee-eh) is one of my favorites. No it's not a music artist.
http://mandarintools.com/chardict.html

The first Chinese phrase I learned: Doonay luo mu hi!

The only downside to learning to speak Mandarin is going into Chinese restaraunts and finding they speak Cantonese.

I've always thought that Navajo was only a spoken language. Guess I was wrong.

More than 70 million germans don´t speak Low German: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOg_8A-Zfn0

My grandmother used to tell me that there were two different Lithuanian languages, and she spoke the one from Little Lithuania, whatever that meant.

Here's another attempt to convince theymos that German should be his choice.

Mijn luchtkussenboot zit vol paling, theymos.

~Cackling Bear~
Kettenmonster

View Profile
April 03, 2012, 06:09:45 PM

... and she spoke the one from Little Lithuania, whatever that meant.
I´d guess she came somewhere from Königsberg now called Kaliningrad and spoke Nehrungskurisch (don´t know the englisch translation).

Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
April 06, 2012, 08:41:09 PM

Also, the language will make literally make your ears bleed: it is very guttural and anything
but delicate. Wait till the hotties in the picture above start to actually open their mouth to say
something and you will run away scared.

My totally unbiased opinion, of course  Grin

How interesting. I've heard some other people say this, but my opinion is the exact opposite: I find German quite pleasant, but I just can't stand Spanish.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
Kettenmonster

View Profile
April 13, 2012, 09:10:57 PM

... so now theymos? What is your decision?

btw: This is german too!
I´d say at 0:24 there is a faulty german to german translation.  Shocked

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: