Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:03:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin already IS mainstream  (Read 2928 times)
raganius

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 08:41:03 PM

To all those who are waiting for Bitcoin to "go mainstream" - stop waiting, it already is.

I don't see Bitcoin as mainstream yet, and that's why:

Most educated people by now have heard of Bitcoin.

Bitcoin has been featured on most news sites and most popular TV news casts. It has been featured in CNN, BBC, CNBC, Fox News, Marketwatch, Forbes, Financial Times and many more resources. There have been several viral stories and old people have been spotted buying bitcoins at ATM's.

Yes, there is some degree of media coverage on BTC, BUT most of the stories I usually hear on the news about BTC are BAD news, basically FUD.

Bitcoin is mainstream.

Why hasn't it gone to the moon yet then?

Easy answer. Because people CHOSE not to use it.

Most people HAVE HEARD about Bitcoin and consciously decided that they WILL NOT USE IT.

Because probably they are too scared out from all the FUD from media. The thing is that most people (even the so called educated ones) hardly ever think "out of the box". They are very scared and always fear anything that seems to (or tends to) defy the governments. One could say that people are well controlled by fear.

Facts:

- Most people are not tech savvy enough to use Bitcoin
- Bitcoin client is cumbersone to use
- There have been many reports of how hard it is to secure Bitcoin especially for technically challenged people
- Bitcoin is not user friendly
- Bitcoin is unsecure and easy to steal if you aren't careful
- Old money/baby boomers are too senile to understand Bitcoin (hence the comments from Charlie Munger of Bitcoin being rat poison)

Agreed, with all topics. That's why we're all together here talking and working in order to imporve BTC.

Why I am still pro Bitcoin and think it will raise in 5-20 years (after 20-30 years we might be getting AI which will change everything and possibly Bitcoin system will be depreciated):
- The protocol has ONLY ONE fault, the 51% attack, which does not destroy Bitcoin only harms it and has little chance of being used.
- Protocol is solid, has intrinsic value, is unique, is comparable to early e-mail
- Bitcoin has intrinsic value for money laundering, black markets and other mostly grey economy related fields
- There is a high chance of some companies coming up with clients that would be noob/average people friendly.

I think that Bitcoin is a fun little gamble that can pay off massively.

It will never go to literal 0, but it can drop a lot naturally.

By the way, if you have invested more than a little portion of your savings and your life depends on Bitcoin, then you are an idiot of extreme proportions and deserve to lose it all.

I agree that Bitcoin will raise in 5-20 years, and that's why I don't think BTC is mainstream now, for it will be mainstream then.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:39:22 PM

It is not mainstream.

Mainstream means widely-adopted. Bitcoin is not widely-adopted at all.

i suppose OP is saying that it got mainstream exposure, and adoption never materialized. i'm not convinced of that, but only time will tell whether bitcoin is really being adopted. (merchant acceptance, for one, doesn't necessarily tell us much)
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: