Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:13:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Towards a better proof of work algorithm  (Read 1337 times)
Nagle (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 08:40:38 PM

There's been interest in "ASIC-resistant" proof of work algorithms. SCRYPT was supposed to do that, but ASICs have been built for SCRYPT, so that didn't work. What would work?

I'd suggest trying to come up with an algorithm which requires large numbers of 64-bit floating point operations and considerable memory. Inverting big matrices (1000x1000 or up) is a good example. Any ASIC capable of doing big matrix inversions would have to have multiple 64-bit superscalar FPUs inside, plus caches. It would have to be a number-crunching CPU. It would need a gate count comparable to CPUs of equivalent compute power.

So can anybody come up with a suitable mineable algorithm with some big matrix inversions inside?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
azeteki

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

esotericnonsense

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 10:01:39 PM

Begging the question; is ASIC resistance actually desirable?

It has both upsides and downsides.

The up-side is that individual miners can make a go of it with bog standard machines.
This will likely result in more individual actors mining; though it wouldn't address the issue of them coalescing into pools.

The down-side is that standard hardware is much easier to game. Botnets, or in an extreme scenario buying a ton of hardware. (Harder with ASICs; it's quite obvious what you're doing).

I think we were reasonably lucky to not be killed in the pre-GPU era. Perhaps we were just not really a target, a 'joke' at the time.

Answering the question directly; I don't see that it would be too difficult to optimize an algorithm specifically for x86 hardware; such that an ASIC would simply be x86 with a few instructions removed. The question is whether or not that's useful.

Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 10:54:44 PM

I like ASICS because they reduce energy consumption and make the network resistant to supercomputers. Having a ton of ASICS out there makes it much less likely that the government can just build a massive mining center to overwhelm miners and execute a 51% attack. They could just buy a bunch of ASICS I suppose, but to me it seems as though ASICS put "private sector" miners on a more even footing. I don't own any by the way.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
MightyBTC

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 10:49:05 AM

ASIC is indeed good. Imagine government using supercomputers for mining. They will make too much profit, and BTC will crash.
onchain.io

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 01:06:28 PM

Answering the question directly; I don't see that it would be too difficult to optimize an algorithm specifically for x86 hardware; such that an ASIC would simply be x86 with a few instructions removed. The question is whether or not that's useful.

I think having a solution that required several proof of work algorithms, i.e. one is selected somewhat randomly based on the last block might be the way to go.

A general CPU would be good for this task.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 03:20:23 PM

There's been interest in "ASIC-resistant" proof of work algorithms. SCRYPT was supposed to do that, but ASICs have been built for SCRYPT, so that didn't work. What would work?

I'd suggest trying to come up with an algorithm which requires large numbers of 64-bit floating point operations and considerable memory. Inverting big matrices (1000x1000 or up) is a good example. Any ASIC capable of doing big matrix inversions would have to have multiple 64-bit superscalar FPUs inside, plus caches. It would have to be a number-crunching CPU. It would need a gate count comparable to CPUs of equivalent compute power.

So can anybody come up with a suitable mineable algorithm with some big matrix inversions inside?
Good proof of work algorithm has the following property: hard to compute and easy to verify.

Matrix inversion doesn't have good compute/verify ratio: O(n3) computation, O(n2) verification. Also, it really doesn't need caches, the access patterns are very predictable, so a dedicated prefetcher would easily outperform caches.

High-precision general purpose FPU would still be a decent defense against GPU and FPGA and would radically increase the cost of developing an ASIC.

Nearly 3 years ago I was thinking along the similar lines: pick a chaotic numerical algorithm (e.g. fractals) as a kernel for the proof-of-work for the (then proposed) Solidcoin v2.0 .

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=44423.msg537010#msg537010

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
elebit

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2014, 09:08:10 PM

IMNSHO, absolutely not.

I don't think it is a coincidence that the price really took off when ASICs started to be commonly available. Even Litecoin, which was initially marketed as "ASIC-hard", rose slightly in value when scrypt miners sold in volume. It secures the blockchain against supercomputer attacks, and makes mining much more capital intensive (which requires a larger payoff, raising the bar on an acceptable lowest price).

There is also the matter of spyware and botnets, which can make a fortune on CPU or GPU mining. And anything ASIC-hard is likely to be GPU-hard, making this problem even worse. If the coin is successful, you won't stand a chance mining with your laptop anyway, so who would you rather see making the most from it? Botnet owners or ASIC mining farms?

I'm know exactly what my answer is. Satoshi made a good choice.
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 09:09:33 PM

https://download.wpsoftware.net/bitcoin/asic-faq.pdf
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2014, 11:32:22 PM

It has both upsides and downsides.

That is an empirical question, to be decided in the future by the market.  Nevertheless it's fun (and potentially profitable) attempting to deduce the answer from first principles.

I think we'll see a diverse mix of successful approaches, because I like to hedge my ASIC loving btc/ltc with GPU/CPU based xpm/xmr/xcn.

For now let's just agree that PoS stands for Proof of Scam, along with variants Dead Piece of Shit and Proof of Suck Ass.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
FPoBA

Activity: 6
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 12:59:17 AM

I think this all depends on what you term "ASIC-resistant", my short reading on the used algorithms and their progress thus far seems to point to all ending up having some sort of GPU implementation. This suggests that should it become profitable, an ASIC will be developed for just about any algorithm developed.

Perhaps a better approach would be to focus on raising the already prohibitive cost of ASIC development through modifying existing algorithms  and how the overall mining procedure functions.
aa

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 03:05:22 AM

Litecion's implementation of scrypt was great; compared to Bitcoin's SHA-256, the use of scrypt provided a 1000x hashrate resistance in standard hardware, and it's still providing a huge $/hash resistance to ASICs. This helped Litecoin start off relatively slow in order to gain adoption in the community--especially at a time when there were almost no altcoins--without giving away massive amounts of coins to a single group within a few hours or days.

MaxDZ8

Activity: 672

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 04:25:23 PM

I'd suggest trying to come up with an algorithm ...  Inverting big matrices (1000x1000 or up) is a good example.
No it isn't. Put that in your head: every single algorithm can be ASIC'ed. It's as simple as that.
By contrast, multiple algorithms cannot, unless you multiply your investment and risk.
Floating point? Really? They don't give the same results even across different models of the same processors let alone different architectures. Validation would thus have to go through an accurate, deterministic, hardware-independant path. Not going to happen.

Ah, by the way: computation does not belong to CPUs anymore. It hasn't been that for at least 10 years.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 04:50:19 PM

I think having a solution that required several proof of work algorithms, i.e. one is selected somewhat randomly based on the last block might be the way to go.

A general CPU would be good for this task.

yeeep.

i.e its already here - Quark  ( 6 Algos + 3 random functions )

also there is now M7  (of Bitfreaks mini block-chain)

http://cryptonite.info/wiki/index.php?title=M7_PoW

"In order to avoid bias accumulation we multiply the 7 hashes together and then pass that number through the SHA-256 function one last time. The multiplication step is also harder for GPU's and ASIC's but works very efficiently on a CPU."

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:36:51 PM

I honestly don't get this whole anti-GPU stance.
You guys probably have all hi-end iSomethingmeaningless 100+ processors in your boxes.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 05:52:29 PM

the only problem wiuth asic is that they increase their hashpower too fast compared to gpu, and thus the money needed to buy them

at one point you can't compete anymore with the rich guy next to you and it's over

gpu don't have this problem, the new generation gpu come every year but they just give a small improvement
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 07:19:08 PM

I honestly don't get this whole anti-GPU stance.
You guys probably have all hi-end iSomethingmeaningless 100+ processors in your boxes.

there is actually no "anti GPU" stance -

the software will adapt to GPU, its just a "nice" thing to say.

the point is the be able to "shift the goal posts" on ASICs with software .

so worry not GPU miner , Hash complexity is about CPU and GPU.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 07:20:27 PM

the only problem wiuth asic is that they increase their hashpower too fast compared to gpu, and thus the money needed to buy them

at one point you can't compete anymore with the rich guy next to you and it's over

gpu don't have this problem, the new generation gpu come every year but they just give a small improvement

100% as the market should function.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Wulfcastle

Activity: 546

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 07:23:07 PM

If you want a better Proof-of-Work Algorithm why not take a look at BURST : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731923.0

It uses a new POC (Proof of Capacity) Algorithm which is basically HDD Mining. It may not be mined the same way, but it's a pretty interesting concept Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: