Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:18:10 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Explanation to how bitcoin is a ponzi scheme  (Read 3793 times)
utclover (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:52:28 AM

Something I realized today:
What makes bitcoin any different from a ponzi games that we see in the gambling section?
In those games, you send your coins to someone and he holds it until someone else sends coins and then pays you, in the end no one sends him coins so payouts stop and the last guys who have coins in it don't get a payout.
How is bitcoin any different? You bought coins, someone buys them from you waiting for someone else to buy them and keeps going like that until no one buys them, or less people buy them so they end up losing their money.

Bitcoin is a decentralized ponzi scheme with no central authority. You f*** over each other by selling "bitcoins" to someone else who hopes someone else buys them from him.

You know I'm right.

Disclamer: I am not holding bitcoins any more.
I am taking my money and leaving while I'm up.
Good luck.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:56:05 AM

[ ] understands Ponzi
[ ] understands Bitcoin

have a nice day

Onkel Paul

fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:57:16 AM

Should i sell my gold/silver/diamonds too? I´m not sure, could be ponzi too?

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
utclover (OP)

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:59:11 AM

Yes
Buy something that has real value, like shares in a profitable business.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 09:17:07 AM

Life itself is a ponzi scheme.
It's called survival of the fittest.
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:22:12 AM

LOL
falllling

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:27:40 AM

LOL

ever bought facebook or google or apple or twitter .. shares before?
GangkisKhan

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:35:37 AM

LOL

ever bought facebook or google or apple or twitter .. shares before?

Internet companies stock are over valued by wide margin. Most don't even pay dividend, why anyone bother to even buy them is beyond me.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:43:13 AM

Something I realized today:
What makes bitcoin any different from a ponzi games that we see in the gambling section?
In those games, you send your coins to someone and he holds it until someone else sends coins and then pays you, in the end no one sends him coins so payouts stop and the last guys who have coins in it don't get a payout.
How is bitcoin any different? You bought coins, someone buys them from you waiting for someone else to buy them and keeps going like that until no one buys them, or less people buy them so they end up losing their money.

Bitcoin is a decentralized ponzi scheme with no central authority. You f*** over each other by selling "bitcoins" to someone else who hopes someone else buys them from him.

You know I'm right.

Disclamer: I am not holding bitcoins any more.
I am taking my money and leaving while I'm up.
Good luck.

So, you don't like capitalism eh!!! Me neither!  Cheesy Grin
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:46:49 AM

Yes
Ha, you mean like on the stock exchange? Good luck finding shares with a reasonable P/E ratio. Everyone sane is short the major western exchanges now.

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:51:04 AM

Early investors in Apple made money from other investors following them - must be a ponzi scheme

The Queen of England makes money from the rest of the country using her money and buying more of it with other currencies - must be a ponzi scheme

I started my business with a little bit of money and now make a decent living from it - must be a ponzi scheme
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 10:54:27 AM

With a ponzi scheme there is uncertainty and deliberate obfuscation about where the money is, how much there is and how many investors there are. With bitcoin, this is all transparent. We are all creating a floating price based upon the utility of a limited number of units of peer-to-peer decentralised money. The exchange value will, of course, go up and down, and I agree some people have persuaded people to buy at the top of bubbles, or sell at the bottom (reverse ponzi-like) which is dishonourable.  But the fact remains that cryptocurrencies in general are only just a tiny part of the global economy at present, which many people think is extremely unlikely to be the case in 5 years, and so there is logic to it as an investment.

Granted it has been a wild ride so far.

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 11:06:19 AM

How can you have 145 posts here and still don't understand what a ponzi scheme is or bitcoin or simple market dynamics?
The troll is strong in you my friend....

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
leezay

Activity: 363
Merit: 100

SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 11:16:27 AM

How can you have 145 posts here and still don't understand what a ponzi scheme is or bitcoin or simple market dynamics?

Judge not by the look of the book but by the content of what it is written.

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 11:53:09 AM

Judge not by the look of the book but by the content of what it is written.

I did, i checked his profile and posts. He's a new member that probably thinks he missed the boat and it seems he's trying to get into every altcoin he can just to make sure he's one of the early adopters. But that's not the content what was written here, that was the past.

Let's look at what he wrote in this topic. He assumes the only reason people buy bitcoin is to sell it at a higher price than they bought it for. If not the only reason, then the biggest relevant factor.
Of course speculation is part of the adoption curve and will have extremes in both high and low ends, as to be expected.
However, the total neglect of how bitcoin works, it's properties, show me he either has no idea what he's talking about, or he's trolling.
Being so active with altcoins, i assume he has at least a very basic understanding of the properties and potential of the protocol.

No matter the bitcoin value, it's utility is still there. Only speculators care about the price, people that care about 'free' money (as in freedom of speech...) don't. It will remain useful for many many people around the world.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
maker88

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 11:54:57 AM

Yes

holy. shit. what an idiot...
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 11:56:53 AM

Yes

ya cuz buying shares in a profitable business, never made anyone rich.

maker88

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 11:58:31 AM

Yes

are you implying you too believe gold and silver has no intrinsic value? or that precious stones don't keep up with inflation better than any other asset in history? because if you are, you're stupid.
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 12:03:36 PM

Yes

are you implying you too believe gold and silver has no intrinsic value? or that precious stones don't keep up with inflation better than any other asset in history? because if you are, you're stupid.

All those materials just have value because we value them, there is no such thing as intrinsic value, just intrinsic properties.
You are basically thinking that because in the past this happened, this will carry on until the end of days, and that my friends isn't nothing but speculation.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
negafen

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 12:12:04 PM

Yes

All those materials just have value because we value them, there is no such thing as intrinsic value, just intrinsic properties.
You are basically thinking that because in the past this happened, this will carry on until the end of days, and that my friends isn't nothing but speculation.

Yup. No such thing as intrinsic value.

Bitcoin should only be compared to gold and not silver. Since there is little industry usage for gold (silver has usage) and the only reason it has value is because central banks around the world give it value.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: